Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+42
caveat emptor
xeno
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
Krepost
ALAMO
Hole
Arrow
Rasisuki Nebia
Autodestruct
flamming_python
lyle6
Russian_Patriot_
tomazy
Nomad5891
Tsavo Lion
Scorpius
x_54_u43
mnztr
JohninMK
medo
Big_Gazza
kvs
SeigSoloyvov
hoom
Isos
owais.usmani
Tingsay
George1
PhSt
Nibiru
miketheterrible
GunshipDemocracy
dino00
magnumcromagnon
LMFS
PapaDragon
sepheronx
Austin
TR1
TheRealist
Viktor
GarryB
46 posters

Russian Civil Shipbuilding Sector

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Russian Civil Shipbuilding Sector - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Civil Shipbuilding Sector

Post  flamming_python Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:25 pm

owais.usmani wrote:https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/2023-08-29/business/industry/Samsung-Heavy-Industries-faces-contract-cancellation-due-to-Russian-sanctions/1857830

Samsung Heavy Industries faces contract cancellation due to Russian sanctions

Samsung Heavy Industries is facing a potential contract cancellation regarding the construction of icebreaking LNG carriers for Russia, due to sanctions imposed on Russia in response to the Ukraine conflict.

Samsung Heavy's construction of 15 icebreaking LNG carriers as part of Russia's Arctic LNG2 initiative has been impeded, with the progress of 10 vessels being frozen as of August, according to the company Tuesday.

While the first three ships — Aleksey Kosygin, Pyotr Stolypin and Sergei Witt — have already been delivered, and the construction of two more is still in progress, construction of the remaining 10 ship blocks has come to a halt.

The escalation of tensions between Russia and Ukraine has led the international community to impose substantial economic sanctions. Consequently, Russia has been expelled from the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (Swift), a move that has disrupted financial transactions and payment processing.

This has, in turn, created complications in the payment process between Samsung Heavy Industries and its Russian counterpart. The recipient of the order is believed to be Sovcomflot, the state-owned Russian shipping company.

Arctic LNG2, led by Russia’s state-run gas producer Novatek, is Russia's major natural gas project. Collaborative efforts involving Novatek, Sovcomflot and the Russian state development corporation VEB.RF led to shipbuilding contracts with Zvezda Shipyard in 2020.

Samsung Heavy Industries is working in partnership with Zvezda to build 15 icebreaking LNG carriers, capitalizing on Samsung's technical prowess.

"The concurrent timing of Russia's sanctions has cast doubt on the progress of the 10 pending vessels," a Samsung Heavy official said.

"Negotiations are ongoing to chart a way forward. Discussions around contract termination are not being considered, taking into account the relationship with the Russian shipowner."

This situation echoes a previous incident involving Hanwha Ocean, which terminated contracts for three icebreaking LNG carriers previously ordered from Sovcomflot during the era of Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering due to payment delays totaling $850 million.

Well now they best get the construction resumed and get those vessel deliveries back on schedule if they want said relationship with the Russian shipowner to continue.

They need not worry. Their money will be waiting for them, by one means or the other - assuming they can fulfill their side of the bargain first.

GarryB, kommer2016 and Hole like this post

Hole
    Hole

Russian Civil Shipbuilding Sector - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Civil Shipbuilding Sector

Post  Hole Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:59 am

Bring the production completely to Russia.  russia

flamming_python, Begome and Broski like this post

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:00 pm

Hardly possible.
    Those tankers are made with one of the patented technologies. One of three existing actually.
    As long as Russkie won't be able to make its own technology gas membrane tanks, the thing can be sanctioned quite easily.

flamming_python, owais.usmani, lancelot and Broski like this post

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:06 pm

Zlatti71
    @djuric_zlatko
    4h
    🇷🇺The first sea cruise liner built in Russia in 60 years will be launched next year 👏

"Peter the Great" will sail on the Volga, Caspian, Black and Azov seas. The liner is also expected to visit coastal cities of Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan.

The top-class liner will be able to carry 310 tourists and 90 crew members. It can compete in Russia only with the "Mustai Karim", introduced in 2021, but it can only sail on rivers.

📱 InfoDefenseENGLISH
    📱 InfoDefense

Russian Civil Shipbuilding Sector - Page 19 F6Osq41WsAASS32?format=jpg&name=small

GarryB, flamming_python and Hole like this post

lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:49 am

ALAMO wrote:Hardly possible.
    Those tankers are made with one of the patented technologies. One of three existing actually.
    As long as Russkie won't be able to make its own technology gas membrane tanks, the thing can be sanctioned quite easily.
    The Chinese have their own membrane technology independent from Western one.

GarryB likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:23 am

It would be useful for Russia to work on such membrane technologies because working with hydrogen gas will also require such technology too...

The Chinese have their own membrane technology independent from Western one.

Chinas gain is South Koreas loss... I wonder if South Korea is willing to throw away contracts and work for US political bullshit?

Japan tows the line to a degree but they are not cutting themselves off from Russian gas supplies.
    Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:00 pm

Russian Civil Shipbuilding Sector - Page 19 35-sca10

GarryB, kvs, Hole and Broski like this post

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:08 pm

Russian Civil Shipbuilding Sector - Page 19 F_cGFsdWJhLm1lZGlhL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBsb2Fkcy8yMDIzLzA5L0RTQ0Y4NTI5LUVuaGFuY2VkLU5SLmpwZz9fX2lkPTE1NDMzNA
    Russian Civil Shipbuilding Sector - Page 19 SZA_6027-Edit

The head trawler processor "Captain Sokolov" of project 170701 has entered sea trials
    https://paluba.media/news/58136

sepheronx, GarryB, dino00, kvs, JohninMK, zardof, Hole and lancelot like this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:56 pm

Could launch Poseidons. Just saying. Very Happy

GarryB likes this post

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:45 am

Interview with the General Director of the Northern Shipyard

The online publication "Business Petersburg" under the headline "Head of the Northern Shipyard: "It's sad that we are late in modernizing our shipyards" published an interview with the General Director of PJSC "Shipbuilding Plant "Severnaya Verf" (part of JSC "United Shipbuilding Corporation") Igor Orlov. His statements in interviews, in particular, demonstrate the sad state and dim prospects of the modernization process of the Northern Shipyard.

The Northern Shipyard has perhaps the largest package of contracts in Russia for the construction of ships under the investment quota program. These are 10 processor trawlers and four longliners. Igor Orlov , General Director of PJSC Severnaya Verf Shipyard, spoke about the problems of the industry, legal disputes with European suppliers and the upcoming modernization of DP .

The Northern Shipyard, like others, faced difficulties in building civilian ships. What caused it?

— We overcame a huge number of difficulties at different stages. Everything came together: external factors, managerial ones, and many others. And the current situation with economic sanctions obviously affects shipyards more than investors in the fishing fleet.

At one time we made all possible mistakes: we started building “everything at once”, launching projects in a short time, having in hand a very small package of documents to get started. After all, the shipyard did not have working and design documentation for a single unit of the ships that it undertook to build. I left shipbuilding for some time (from 2012 to 2020 I was the governor of the Arkhangelsk region. - Ed.), and when I returned, I was faced with a new concept - “design documentation of a vessel under construction”, or, in short, PDSP. I cannot explain how it was possible to sign a contract for the construction of a series of ships based on it, without being able to return to the cost estimate later.

According to all the documents that exist today, any deviation from the PDSP must be agreed upon with the customer. Moreover, changes can only be made to it through a customer agreement with Rosregister. And besides, he often “holds back” some of these changes and “does not let” them into the register, having additional leverage over me. But I cannot present the vessel to the register, since these changes were not carried out through the PDSP. Here are the figures for the longliner: the delay in the release of documentation since the start of construction is one and a half years. The number of changes made to the PDSP is more than 600. Plus, the level of equipment replacement during the construction process in the engine room of this small vessel is more than 30%.

I remember well that when I worked with complex projects at Zvezdochka, the contract took 200–250 pages, plus the annexes were about 600 pages. Now the contract for the construction of one of the vessels for fishermen is 46 pages long, including appendices.

You can talk about our shipbuilding as much as you want, criticize it - and, of course, justifiably - but, trying to participate in this investment project and solve an important state problem, we need to find a solution to this interweaving of intractable problems. Yes, the ships are surrendering, but this is not thanks to, but in spite of.

Many customers say that in Turkey trawlers are built faster and for the money that is agreed upon in advance.

- They are lying. The customer’s Turks do not allow any decision on the project: if we place an order, you will come for the vessel. With us, the customer signs each construction certificate, at the same time adding his “wants” to it. This is how contracts are drawn up: they are generally interpreted in favor of the customer in everything. But in defense of the former head of the Northern Shipyard, I want to say that he signed them in conditions when he had nothing to pay people’s salaries. This story has been going on in shipbuilding since the 1990s: if I don’t “snatch” the contract now, then there will be nothing to pay with.

We have long cycles - 3-5 years, and for different types of production, which are busy at different stages of construction. That is, the plant director must, while one ship is being completed, begin a new one. I would like to note that the margin in shipbuilding is on average 3%. And with one such vessel it turns out: a respected Norwegian designer schematically indicated the engine room, but 30% of what he placed there does not fit - a design error.

I already have three longliner hulls ready with the same problem. The redesign of the engine room began - and this is the worst thing that can happen in shipbuilding: relocation of the platform, engines, routing of all pipes on all ships at the same time.

How did your European partners behave when sanctions were announced?

— One could assume anything, but when more than 10 million euros were paid for the supply of various equipment in the form of advances and conversations simply stopped... We tried to establish a dialogue, find an opportunity to pay for some other work with this money, but we saw the stone faces of our "partners" and reluctance to negotiate. They just turned away, that's all. Then, perhaps, I’ll write in my memoirs how, under sanctions, we handed over ships with foreign mooring and anchor devices that require the presence of chief engineers.

To be more precise, the Europeans owe us more than 12 million euros. Among the leaders is the Finnish Wärtsilä, which received huge funds. We have advanced the supply of three propulsion systems. In addition, I had already purchased 22 more of their installations, which required support: solving operational issues, software, correcting comments based on test results. They did not fulfill any obligations. But there is also a fish factory, and other equipment.

The "heirs" of the Europeans, who bought out their Russian "subsidiaries", could not help you?

“They have nothing to do with this, the supplies went through a Scandinavian legal entity. We offered them: there is your supplied equipment, for which we have not yet fully paid. Give the Russian organization the rest so that they can help us finish everything. No. Theft in its purest form - I simply have no other definition. We filed lawsuits in Russian courts, everything is as it should be. But the prospects are vague.

It was reported that the Norebo fishing group plans to take back part of its unfinished fishing trawlers from the Northern Shipyard. Is it so?

- Yes, they want to take it. We have signed an agreement for the construction of a series of 10 vessels, six of which are already afloat, and four we have not even fully deployed. Taking into account the modifications, each vessel was one third more expensive than stated in the contract. Attempts to index it were unsuccessful; the issue of state support is being resolved. Therefore, there is a delay in terms of timing and they decided not to build four trawlers at this stage.

Not to build at the Northern Shipyard?

— As they say, don’t build at all. Life will show. There is no mutual settlement of money here, so we will bear financial responsibility, which we do not refuse. We are in dialogue with the owner and the state: financially it is difficult, but not tragic.

At what stage is the construction of the new boathouse now?

— The contract with the third contractor has now been terminated; he was unable to confirm his qualification requirements: he did not provide bank guarantees. Here the question is even about the project as a whole: it had a lot of imported equipment, including air conditioning systems, power supply, ventilation and electrical supply. The former management of the United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC, which includes the Northern Shipyard - Ed.) believed that it was possible to resolve some issues during the completion process. There was a possibility that the contractor could redesign during construction. But the banks said: given that the price is obviously higher, we will not give a bank guarantee. None of the first-tier banks agreed to guarantee this project, so it did not work out.

The boathouse is our pain. There is no need to talk about the future of the shipyard without him. Plus a lot has already been spent to have it. We are in extensive dialogue with the state as the main investor of this project in order to find resources for its implementation. We have found all solutions to replace imported ones. There are also high-status interested parties who want to join the project, but they are waiting for confirmed funding, which is not yet available. The facility is currently 38% complete: two spans of supports have been installed.

Is there any news on the Project 20385 corvette "Provorny"?

— The ship has been completely restored, painted, the composite superstructure has been reinstalled, and equipment is being actively installed. I think the launch will take place no later than May 2024, and in 2025 we can transfer it to the fleet if the customer does not make amendments.

What caused the fire is already known?

— The investigation is not finished yet. We expect that the case will soon go to trial with charges filed. During this process, the amount of damage and the responsibility of certain individuals and organizations will be determined. It was a serious tragedy. I can say that the composite from which the then-burnt superstructure was made is considered a non-combustible material. I assure you that this is not very much the plant’s fault: we are assemblers, we assemble in accordance with the rules and acted strictly according to the documents that were available at that moment. We have now finalized the standards for working with composite materials and the fire extinguishing system. Such experience is, unfortunately, given through such difficult events.

The amount of damage reported in the media was 22 billion rubles.

- It's a bullshit. In fact, 22 billion is closer to the cost of almost the entire "Agile". The numbers that were spoken then were from the realm of, let’s say, deep incompetence. I can say that it is more than 10 times smaller.

Did Northern Shipyard end last year with losses?

- Yes, the shipyard is unprofitable because of the “fishermen”. The state plans to subsidize us for these losses. Once this happens, we will be able to return to some decent financial direction.

Do you agree with the assessment of the head of VTB about the problems of USC, which includes the Northern Shipyard?

— It seems to me that from the point of view of express analysis, VTB President Andrei Kostin said everything correctly: management errors, errors in concluded contracts, lack of industry development in accordance with modern requirements. I remember the largest Chinese shipyards a decade and a half ago with manual and primitive labor. It is very sad that we are so late in modernizing our shipyards. I hope that the colleagues who took on this will be able to implement it.

Do you mean building a boathouse?

— The construction of a boathouse will not solve all problems. We will complete it and get 30 thousand tons per year at the output, but at the input I will still only have 7 thousand. Of course, the question of modernizing the rest of the chain arises. We presented the concept, and it was approved at the USC level; the question is about its implementation. The total investment volume is about 100 billion rubles. Compared to how much is invested in related high-tech industries, this is not the most money. Kostin said that USC needs to invest from 500 billion to 1 trillion. I think this is a reasonable estimate.

What will change then?

— There will be an ultra-modern Northern Shipyard, capable of building facilities in the interests of any customer. We have already refused several orders: my dock width is 25 m, the length is up to 140 m, which is very short. The same modern bulk carriers today have a length of 180 m. The country needs at least a hundred of them - and this is only one of the niches. In the new boathouse we will even be able to build “Afromaxes” if necessary.

Is this a quick process?

— We have planned three stages of modernization. The first one is coming now. If we “parallel” financial resources.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4763168.html

GarryB, Sprut-B, LMFS, Hole and lancelot like this post

lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:17 pm

The epic fail of the construction of this boathouse is kind of jarring. They had what, over a decade to build this thing.
    They were also supposed to move some construction to one of the islands in St. Petersburg I think. And that got cancelled.

Tremendous missed opportunity. Compare that to the massive new shipyards the Chinese are building from scratch near Shanghai at Changxing Island. Where their Type 003 carrier is being built.

owais.usmani likes this post

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:41 pm

Bad management.

owais.usmani likes this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:58 pm

Too much behaving like a neo-liberal market economy. Even some state-owned companies behaved like this.
    One tender after the other. Companies telling fantasty numbers and get broke because the real construction costs were much higher and so on.

lancelot likes this post

Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

Post  Rodion_Romanovic Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:53 am

Hole wrote:Too much behaving like a neo-liberal market economy. Even some state-owned companies behaved like this.
    One tender after the other. Companies telling fantasty numbers and get broke because the real construction costs were much higher and so on.

Well possibly it will be a good wake up call.

And I believe that in this case the state need to invest and proper develop and manage one or two companies with capacity and capabilities for building and expanding shipyards and port structures. It has been clearly shown that it is not a job that can be assigned to any classical civil engineering construction firm.

Hole likes this post

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:56 pm

Russian Civil Shipbuilding Sector - Page 19 F_ZmxhZ21hbi1uZXdzLnJ1L25ld3MvMTQ5NTguanBnP19faWQ9MTU2MTE5
    The Zvezda shipyard handed over the fifth Aframax class tanker to the customer.

GarryB, xeno, kvs, Hole and lancelot like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:59 am

Wasn't that long ago we were being told Russia can't make Aframax class tankers... so this is number 5 ... nice.

kvs and Hole like this post

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:00 pm

Russian Civil Shipbuilding Sector - Page 19 181052
    At the production site of the Southern Shipbuilding and Ship Repair Center (Astrakhan region) The laying of the transfer floating dock "Vladimir Yemelyanov" of project 24012 with a lifting capacity of 25,000 tons took place.
    Technical characteristics of the floating dock of the project 24012:
    The maximum length is 189.6 m;
    The length of the slipway deck is 177.6 m;
    The width of the dock is 62 m;
    The height of the side to the top deck is 24.3 m;
    Load capacity – 25,000 tons;
    The maximum diving depth is 20.64 m;
    The crew is 21 people.
    The size of the dock will allow the construction of Aframax-type vessels.

Source: https://www.korabel.ru/news/comments/yug_pomozhet_severu_postroit_plavdok.html

GarryB and Hole like this post

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:05 pm

Russian Civil Shipbuilding Sector - Page 19 180965
    On December 13, a solemn event dedicated to the laying of keel sections of dry cargo vessels of the ARK-2023 project took place at the Belogorod shipyard in the village of Bely Gorodok, Kimry district.
    Their technical characteristics will allow passage through the White Sea-Baltic Canal with access to the White Sea

Source: https://www.korabel.ru/news/comments/v_tverskoy_oblasti_zalozhili_kili_dvuh_suhogruzov_proekta_ark-2023.html

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:06 am

“design documentation of a vessel under construction”, or, in short, PDSP. I cannot explain how it was possible to sign a contract for the construction of a series of ships based on it, without being able to return to the cost estimate later.

According to all the documents that exist today, any deviation from the PDSP must be agreed upon with the customer. Moreover, changes can only be made to it through a customer agreement with Rosregister. And besides, he often “holds back” some of these changes and “does not let” them into the register, having additional leverage over me.

Signing contracts and starting construction without the customer finalising the complete design is madness... most civilian builders go bankrupt because of such things where the customer wants changes but does not want to pay extra. Even without contractor problems because you are under sanction that is not a way to run a business.

As he mentions they were desperate for contracts so he could pay his workers, but this is not how you do business.

That Norwegian designer who designed an engine room where things just didn't fit is a case in point of problems that cost money.

The value of serial producing batches of ships is once the design is finalised there are no changes or surprises to worry about...
    Kiko
    Kiko

Post  Kiko Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:07 pm

Putin announced plans to develop the Russian nuclear icebreaker fleet,12.18.2023.

Russia has big plans to develop its nuclear icebreaker fleet. Russian President Vladimir Putin announced this on December 18 at a meeting with the winners and mentors of the championship of professional excellence.

“No one in the world has such ships. Russia is the only country in the world that has such a nuclear icebreaker fleet. We have big plans here,” he said.

He noted that in the near future a nuclear-powered icebreaker “Leader” will be created, which will be able to break ice 6–7 m high. This will allow the development of the Northern Sea Route (NSR), the president emphasized.

“This is a separate page in the history of the fleet. This will help expand the capabilities of the Northern Sea Route. Due to climate change, it is already opening for quite a long time,” Putin said.

Earlier, on November 27, the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC), the head of VTB, Andrey Kostin, said that a serious modernization of the shipbuilding industry will be required to satisfy the entire order for civil vessels. According to him, there are now a lot of orders for all types of ships. But it is not possible to fully satisfy the order, since there is not enough capacity and technology.

On September 19, Deputy Head of the Ministry of Industry and Trade Viktor Evtukhov announced the need to build a flotilla of ships for the Northern Sea Route. He noted the great need for the production of new military rescue ships, supply ships and ice-class cargo ships.

https://iz.ru/1622472/2023-12-18/putin-zaiavil-o-planakh-razvitiia-atomnogo-ledokolnogo-flota-rossii

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:24 pm

Very large hold for a ferry.

Zlatti71
    @djuric_zlatko
    ⛴ An unmanned ferry was launched between St. Petersburg and Kaliningrad.

"General Chernyakhovsky" will serve the Ust-Luga - Kaliningrad line.

“This is not a test launch. This is the start of full commercial operation of the vessel, which should deliver socially significant cargo to the Kaliningrad region,” said First Deputy Prime Minister Andrei Belousov at the opening ceremony of the line.

Russian Civil Shipbuilding Sector - Page 19 GBv1fVCWQAE4Xj5?format=jpg&name=small

Hole likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:54 am