Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Share
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5042
    Points : 5150
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  PapaDragon on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:19 am

    Militarov wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    Goliath crane installation in Zvezda:
    .....


    More pics:

    https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/96598/

    But that is Finnish crane from what i am aware

    It's definitely imported, probably from Finland so yes

    Why?
    avatar
    miketheterrible

    Posts : 1117
    Points : 1117
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  miketheterrible on Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:03 am

    Do you really need to ask that question? He will blather on about Russia produces nothing cause it couldn't build a simple crane, and had to import one.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5042
    Points : 5150
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  PapaDragon on Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:52 am

    miketheterrible wrote:Do you really need to ask that question? He will blather on about Russia produces nothing cause it couldn't build a simple crane, and had to import one.

    Before this becomes another aircraft carrier discussion I would like to implore everyone to exercise restraint.

    Yes it does suck that Russia has to import this stuff (even though they may be on the clock ATM).

    But also let's not pretend that Russia had some master plan. 
    True, they might have one now but until less than a decade ago their only ambition was to become more blizzardy version of Saudi Arabia.

    Industrialization came up only recently so it takes time for effects to kick in and it is faster to just buy one from abroad.
    avatar
    SeigSoloyvov

    Posts : 525
    Points : 529
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  SeigSoloyvov on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:01 am

    Chances are the Finns could make the crane faster then Russia could have so it would make sense to import it if they needed it right away and they could not do it themselves at the time table.

    Better to do import it then have delays.
    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3035
    Points : 3160
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  kvs on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:51 am

    PapaDragon wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:Do you really need to ask that question? He will blather on about Russia produces nothing cause it couldn't build a simple crane, and had to import one.

    Before this becomes another aircraft carrier discussion I would like to implore everyone to exercise restraint.

    Yes it does suck that Russia has to import this stuff (even though they may be on the clock ATM).

    But also let's not pretend that Russia had some master plan. 
    True, they might have one now but until less than a decade ago their only ambition was to become more blizzardy version of Saudi Arabia.

    Industrialization came up only recently so it takes time for effects to kick in and it is faster to just buy one from abroad.

    Militarov is trolling. We live in a global economy so it is often cheaper to buy foreign made goods and services.
    So why would any Russian company pay more and wait years for some non-existent domestic production line to get started?
    Even import substitution does not imply 100% self-reliance. Unless Russia wants to compete on the global market making
    such cranes it may never bother starting production of this class.
    avatar
    miketheterrible

    Posts : 1117
    Points : 1117
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  miketheterrible on Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:01 am

    I don't agree with those assessments. And anyway, that is what Militarov would say and he isn't wrong either. I was being more exaggerating but lets be real here, Russia should be building it themselves. Finland isn't necessarily a friend of Russia but so far, lately, they have been pretty decent neighbors compared to other assholes. So I guess it is fine.

    Anyway, I don't really care. I am glad the shipyard is going as well as it is. They need this.
    avatar
    Isos

    Posts : 775
    Points : 777
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  Isos on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:57 pm

    miketheterrible wrote:I don't agree with those assessments.  And anyway, that is what Militarov would say and he isn't wrong either.  I was being more exaggerating but lets be real here, Russia should be building it themselves.  Finland isn't necessarily a friend of Russia but so far, lately, they have been pretty decent neighbors compared to other assholes.  So I guess it is fine.

    Anyway, I don't really care.  I am glad the shipyard is going as well as it is.  They need this.

    There isn't lot of countries that would buy such things. Most of them can produce it themselves. So I don't think Finland wishes to lose such a client. France did the mistake with Mistrals and it was really badly seen in France. Hopefully they sold them to egypt but if they didn't it would have been a big issue. Neither Ukraine, neither Usa or UK wanted to buy them. They just push you to do what they want and then no help. Tje same would occure in finland...
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16315
    Points : 16946
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  GarryB on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:01 am

    To be fair the main lesson from the Misral debacle is that even paid for contracts can be broken by americas bitches.

    Ask me just 4-5 years ago if France was a bitch to America and i would have said not... France has pride... in itself and its customers.

    The whole purpose of buying the Mistrals was that they would have both been in service by now in a largely already proven design.

    I had to say I laughed out loud at the French reaction when a certain country that had promised to buy French helos if Russia did not get her carriers reneged on that deal too.

    Similar to the feelings I had when terrorists were killing french people in Paris... imagine foreigners coming to your country and blowing things up and killing people... (Note I am from New Zealand BTW)

    Russian companies probably could have come up with a crane that was able to do the job... I don't think they chose a Finn crane because it was from Finland.

    Clearly it must have had better specs or was cheaper, or could be done within the required time frame.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    T-47

    Posts : 79
    Points : 81
    Join date : 2017-07-17
    Location : Planet Earth

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  T-47 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:07 pm

    GarryB wrote:To be fair the main lesson from the Misral debacle is that even paid for contracts can be broken by americas bitches.

    Ask me just 4-5 years ago if France was a bitch to America and i would have said not... France has pride... in itself and its customers.

    The whole purpose of buying the Mistrals was that they would have both been in service by now in a largely already proven design.

    I had to say I laughed out loud at the French reaction when a certain country that had promised to buy French helos if Russia did not get her carriers reneged on that deal too.

    Similar to the feelings I had when terrorists were killing french people in Paris... imagine foreigners coming to your country and blowing things up and killing people... (Note I am from New Zealand BTW)

    Russian companies probably could have come up with a crane that was able to do the job... I don't think they chose a Finn crane because it was from Finland.

    Clearly it must have had better specs or was cheaper, or could be done within the required time frame.

    Time is a big factor, also the limited money. You have to prioritize things. There are more important sectors to spend money for now than building big cranes. I'm pretty sure Russian industry will come up with big cranes as well once the chaos settle up.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16315
    Points : 16946
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  GarryB on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:33 am

    The thing is that Russia will have companies that make cranes but we are talking about a huge crane... not something they will make very often... not a normal part of their inventory of products.

    The point is that this shipyard is rather big and will be making some big ships, so they will need big cranes, but they wont be needing 500 of them.

    If we were talking about 100 ton capacity cranes and they needed 1,000 of them, then it would make sense to get a Russian company to make them because there would be plenty of work in it and likely future maintainence and support work needed.

    When you only need one or two really big ones there is no point getting investing in a small Russian company that makes small cranes to build one or two really big ones... it makes more sense to find a company that makes big ones and has experience and is ready to make an existing proven design.

    Obviously we are not talking a weapon.

    If we were talking about a missile and we went to an AAM maker and said we want a 1,000km range AAM we would never consider foreign makers... that is just a given.

    With a crane it is not such an issue.

    In fact having a Russian maker of heavy cranes really only makes sense if there is a viable market for Russian heavy cranes. Without a market spending money to create a Russian heavy crane company and then just make one crane is stupid and wasteful.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5042
    Points : 5150
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Civilian or military?

    Post  PapaDragon on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:06 pm

    .
    Civilian or military? confused

    Zvezda shipyard will lay down first four vessels in September 2017


    http://www.en.portnews.ru/news/243940/
    avatar
    hoom

    Posts : 530
    Points : 530
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  hoom on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:31 am

    From recollection the whole basis for the rework is a contract for 7* 200,000ton tankers.

    Apparently they have started on the big drydock now too.

    The Goliath is completed now (& confirmed thats an Oscar looking tiny next to it)



    As with others above as long as you're able to successfully source them overseas there's not much point trying to create a Goliath class crane domestically, there just isn't enough global demand for many manufacturers.
    Even US uses imported ones eg the one at Newport News was built by Krupp http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1558:newport-news-shipbuilding-name-is-back-on-giant-crane&Itemid=257
    avatar
    AlfaT8

    Posts : 1338
    Points : 1345
    Join date : 2013-02-02

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  AlfaT8 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:19 pm

    Looks like it's mostly done, now all we have to do is wait for the order to be given, any words from Rogozin, Shoygu or Putin?
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5042
    Points : 5150
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  PapaDragon on Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:49 pm

    hoom wrote:............
    The Goliath is completed now (& confirmed thats an Oscar looking tiny next to it)
    .........

    Compared to that Goliath entire shipyard looks tiny...



    There are two Oscars in overhaul there currently: К-132 Irkutsk and К-442 Chelabinsk

    https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/96818/

    You can clearly see other one in this pic:



    Fist ship laid down might be this civilian one for Rosneft. Anyone know what kind of ship this is?



    T-47

    Posts : 79
    Points : 81
    Join date : 2017-07-17
    Location : Planet Earth

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  T-47 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:53 pm

    AlfaT8 wrote:Looks like it's mostly done, now all we have to do is wait for the order to be given, any words from Rogozin, Shoygu or Putin?

    PapaDragon put a link. words from Rogozin.

    PapaDragon wrote:.
    Civilian or military? confused

    Zvezda shipyard will lay down first four vessels in September 2017


    http://www.en.portnews.ru/news/243940/

    I think civilian. For Gazprom or Rosneft. They are the main investor in this shipyard after all. Also GPV 2025 doesn't have any indications that a shipyard with this size is needed right now.

    T-47

    Posts : 79
    Points : 81
    Join date : 2017-07-17
    Location : Planet Earth

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  T-47 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:08 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Fist ship laid down might be this civilian one for Rosneft. Anyone know what kind of ship this is?


    I think that ship is a reinforced ice-class multi-functional support vessel. Rosneft ordered two of them, will be built on Zvezda shipyard.

    http://www.offshoreenergytoday.com/rosneft-orders-ice-class-support-vessels-at-zvezda-shipyard/
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10246
    Points : 10734
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  George1 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:35 am

    About the future of the factory of SSK "Zvezda"

    Lay out and here. The interview is interesting because they do not talk with a big boss, but with a person directly from production.



    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10246
    Points : 10734
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  George1 Yesterday at 1:28 pm

    Some photos of ships under construction in PJSC Shipyard "Severnaya Verf"

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2796766.html



    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian Naval Shipbuilding Industry: News

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:39 am