Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Tornado MLRS family: News

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Tornado MLRS family: News

Post  GarryB on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:06 am

I understand the concept of pallet packs speeding up reloading but in a real conflict after firing the rockets the most important thing is to move immediately.

The time it takes to move to a new position means reloading when you arrive at a new position is not as urgent as some might think.

Personally I think the idea of being able to carry different calibres of rocket on one truck platform is the best feature of the pallet load concept. The fast reload capacity a very secondary factor.

Smerch rockets have stabilisation gyros on board to ensure a volley lands in a fairly tight group no matter what the range but AFAIK there are no ATACMs developed for the system. It would make more sense to use Tochka-U or Iskander for such missiones. There are sensor fused munition models for anti armour use but otherwise no homing models I know of.

There will be ground launched Hermes type ground to ground rockets with terminal guidance systems, so guided unguided rockets would be redundant to me.

Also I can't find any information about upgraded Uragan, only about Grad and Smerch.

Again... a lighter vehicle makes sense and a heavier vehicle able to carry more rockets makes sense but a middle weight vehicle does not make sense to me... especially if the light vehicle can carry one pallet of all three rocket calibres and the larger vehicle can carry two pallets of all three rocket calibres... what would be left for the middle vehicle to do?

regarding the 122mm calibre pallets:

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

BliTTzZ
    Private
    Private

Post  BliTTzZ on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:02 pm

I understand the concept of pallet packs speeding up reloading but in a real conflict after firing the rockets the most iпmportant thing is to move immediately.

The time it takes to move to a new position means reloading when you arrive at a new position is not as urgent as some might think.

Personally I think the idea of being able to carry different calibres of rocket on one truck platform is the best feature of the pallet load concept. The fast reload capacity a very secondary factor.
    I agree with you on this but if you're involved in conflict with asymmetric warfare, when your forces against some guerrillas from no to minimum capability to retaliate after your strikes. Then reload time becomes more important here if, for example, it's necessary to cover large area quickly.

Smerch rockets have stabilisation gyros on board to ensure a volley lands in a fairly tight group no matter what the range but AFAIK there are no ATACMs developed for the system. It would make more sense to use Tochka-U or Iskander for such missiones. There are sensor fused munition models for anti armour use but otherwise no homing models I know of.
    Right now I can't find the source of this info I mentioned before, sorry. IIRC it was some kind of blog, similar to bmpd.

I was also very curious about it because of analogy with ATACMS for M270 and HIMARS. But in contrary to Russia US doesn't have independent platforms like Tochka or Iskander, so their vehicles are more multirole.

Again... a lighter vehicle makes sense and a heavier vehicle able to carry more rockets makes sense but a middle weight vehicle does not make sense to me... especially if the light vehicle can carry one pallet of all three rocket calibres and the larger vehicle can carry two pallets of all three rocket calibres... what would be left for the middle vehicle to do?
    No, I was talking about modernisation for older Grad, Uragan and Smerch systems. First and third upgraded vehicles are already on duty, but no words about modernized Uragan. And as we can see 220mm rockets are planned for Uragan-1M, so there's still use for this type of ammunition.

regarding the 122mm calibre pallets:

On the first picture it's not Uragan-1M but modified Grad on Kamaz chassis, while the second one is pretty old, dated year 2013 IIRC.
    Most recent photos I've seen are from celebration of Artillery Day at Luga. And this particular vehicle presented there was equipped with 220mm and 300mm ammo containers. Don't get me wrong like I'm trying to argue what you said about 122mm packs, there's just to little footage of this vehicle nowadays.
    magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:53 am

Great News, Smerch's successor, Tornado-S will get GLONASS guided munitions capable of destroying targets beyond 200km's!

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvpk.name%2Fnews%2F174562_izvestiya_noveishaya_rszo_tornados_poluchit_sverhtochnuyu_raketu_so_sputnikovoi_navigaciei.html&edit-text=&act=url
    Project Canada
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  Project Canada on Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:58 am

Vann7
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Vann7 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:37 am

200km range is pretty good. the only down is that it only carry 12 missiles.
    Will have been nicer to see Super heavy trucks to carry ~36 missiles instead or better
    50 missiles . It might require a more bigger truck but the fire power will be worth of it.
    0nillie0
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  0nillie0 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:39 am

Vann7 wrote:

200km range is pretty good. the only down is that it only carry 12 missiles.
    Will have been nicer to see Super heavy trucks to carry ~36 missiles instead or better
    50 missiles . It might require a more bigger truck but the fire power will be worth of it.

A truck with 50 300mm rockets would make for a big, juicy, slow moving target
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:43 am

It would be stupid to try to fit 50 300mm rockets on to one truck, the weight alone would limit where it could drive to only sealed roads and heavy bridges.

These vehicles operate in groups, not on their own... so why make the vehicle stupid heavy by putting all the rockets on one vehicle?

For each launch vehicle there will be several loading vehicles... it would take too long to fire off 50 rockets... any competent enemy would attack you in the time it took to fire all 50 rockets and then move.

Carrying 36 missiles is easy... just use three trucks...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:48 am

Funny thing is Russia actually making less tubes on their MLRS systems. Reason is because better accuracy of new systems and better logistics.
    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  franco on Wed May 31, 2017 1:27 am

The Russian army will receive new systems of volley fire "Tornado-S"

By 2020, the rocket artillery brigades of the Russian army will receive the modernized Tornado-S RCDS with the Smerch burst fire systems. This was announced by RIA Novosti, the head of the Missile Forces and Artillery of the Russian Armed Forces Mikhail Matveevsky.

In his speech, the military leader noted that the planned rearmament of the brigades of rocket artillery began this year. The first large-caliber RCD "Tornado" systems of various modifications have already arrived in the troops. One of the first to receive them was two divisions in the Western Military District.

The main difference between the new multiple launch rocket system is its new automated guidance control system. It allows you to simultaneously control the shooting of the division, as well as automatically calculate the target data, guide the packs of guiding combat vehicles in the horizontal and vertical planes. The application of the new system will significantly increase the accuracy of shooting and shorten the deployment time of the complex from marching to combat.

Recall that the Tornado-S system can fire unguided 300-mm rocket missiles and corrective ammunition with a high-explosive fragment or cluster warhead with a maximum range of up to 120 kilometers. In the future, it is possible to increase the range of fire at a distance of up to 200 kilometers.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:30 pm