Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Tornado MLRS family: News

Cyberspec
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Tornado MLRS family: News

Post  Cyberspec on Wed May 13, 2015 3:33 am

There was a report that the Tornado-S started entering service at the end of 2014, but I haven't seen any photo evidence yet.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:06 pm

Developer: newest MLRS "Tornado-G" is 15 times more effective than "Grad"

GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:36 am

George1 wrote:Developer: newest MLRS "Tornado-G" is 15 times more effective than "Grad"

Oh mama this looks good. I presume Tornado-G can be applied to existing Grads to have kinda Grad Block-G by adding computerized fire control, Glonass and new ammo pack.

I wonder if Buyan corvettes will receive Tornado G upgrade? 90km of range sounds better then most of naval guns.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:25 am

Test-launches of new MLRS to be completed by end of 2015 — manufacturer

Multiple rocket launcher systems of 300mm caliber are at a stage of state test-launches, deputy general director of NPO said

ST. PETERSBURG, July 3. /TASS/. Test-launches of new multiple rocket launcher systems (MLRS) of 300mm caliber will be completed by the end of 2015, deputy general director of NPO Splav Gennady Kalyuzhny told TASS on Friday.

"They [multiple rocket launcher systems of 300mm caliber] are at a stage of state test-launches which we plan to finish this year. Test-launches of 220mm caliber systems have already been completed, and the 300mm caliber system is at the final stage of state test-launches," Kalyuzhny said at the International Maritime Defense Show in St. Petersburg.

Kalyuzhny reminded that new Tornado-G multiple rocket launcher system was put into operation. "We launched serial production of the system," he noted, adding that it exceeds Grad MLRS in efficiency.

Grad and Tornado-G, which represents a modernized Grad system, have 122mm caliber. They are designed to strike armored vehicles, artillery and mortars, as well as command posts. The Uragan MLRS has 220mm caliber.

franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  franco on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:49 pm

Interesting to see deployment of the new "S" and the "U" MRLS. At the present time there are the following operational units;

Smerch 300mm - 2 units with 12 each (Total = 24)
    Urgan 220mm - 4 units with 24 each plus each of the 8 Ground Forces Artillery brigades has a unit with 8 each. (Total = 160)

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Russia's Western Military District gets newest Tornado-G multiple rocket launchers

The new 122-mm Tornado-G MRLS will replace the BM-21 Grad system

MOSCOW, July 22. /TASS/. More than 20 units of the newest Tornado-G multiple rocket launch system (MRLS) have entered service with the Taman motorized infantry division and the Kantemirovskaya tank division of the Western Military District, stationed in the Moscow region, district spokesman Colonel Oleg Kochetkov told reporters on Wednesday.

"The new 122-mm Tornado-G MRLS will replace the BM-21 Grad system. The Tornado-G three times surpasses the Grad MRLS in combat effectiveness by means of higher ammunition yield, and automated self-guidance, aiming, geo location and navigation system," he said.

The new system’s combat deployment is 1.5 times shorter and its hitting range is expanded to 1 hectare, he said.

Artillerists of the Western Military District will conduct the first life fire exercise using the Tornado-G MRLS within the coming month.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:40 pm

"Russia, China Developing the World’s First Drone-Carrying Missile

A multiple rocket launcher jointly being developed by Russia and China will feature the world’s first ever missile capable of hauling a drone. “Using this new configuration we’ll be able to reconnoiter far-off targets pretty fast as the drone is carried 90 kilometers away by a missile moving at a tremendous speed… The UAV will then fly for around 30 minutes scouting the designated area in a real time mode and sending obtained information to the operator,” Rostec deputy director Dmitry Rytenkov told RIA Novosti news agency on Wednesday. n the Russian side the development work on the 300mm missile is being done by Splav — a Tula-based scientific production association." Source: Sputniknews.com

I suppose this will be one of the payloads available in future for Tornado platform. However i recall seeing commercial for such drone carrying system like decade ago for Smerch, i assume this means it never got materialised?

Dima
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Dima on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:19 pm

Militarov wrote:"Russia, China Developing the World’s First Drone-Carrying Missile

A multiple rocket launcher jointly being developed by Russia and China will feature the world’s first ever missile capable of hauling a drone. “Using this new configuration we’ll be able to reconnoiter far-off targets pretty fast as the drone is carried 90 kilometers away by a missile moving at a tremendous speed… The UAV will then fly for around 30 minutes scouting the designated area in a real time mode and sending obtained information to the operator,” Rostec deputy director Dmitry Rytenkov told RIA Novosti news agency on Wednesday. n the Russian side the development work on the 300mm missile is being done by Splav — a Tula-based scientific production association." Source: Sputniknews.com

I suppose this will be one of the payloads available in future for Tornado platform. However i recall seeing commercial for such drone carrying system like decade ago for Smerch, i assume this means it never got materialised?

No it isn't. Probably they meant something else?
    9K55 Smerch system already had such a projectile with Eniks UAV inisde the 300mm rocket to relay footage of combat area in real time for upto 30 minutes. We can see that demo in videos of Smerch.
    http://www.splav.org/en/arms/smerch/index.asp

magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  magnumcromagnon on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:39 pm

Dima wrote:
    Militarov wrote:"Russia, China Developing the World’s First Drone-Carrying Missile

9K55 Smerch system already had such a projectile with Eniks UAV inisde the 300mm rocket to relay footage of combat area in real time for upto 30 minutes. We can see that demo in videos of Smerch.
    http://www.splav.org/en/arms/smerch/index.asp

Journalists have been screwing up again, the Smerch UAV has been around for a loooooong time, probably 20 years or more now.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:46 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Dima wrote:

Journalists have been screwing up again, the Smerch UAV has been around for a loooooong time, probably 20 years or more now.

Hmm, i cant say i ever saw that drone being actually used, i did see like 10 years ago video commercial for it but thats all, i guess this could be some kind of improved version built on that same basics? Coz i doubt these journalists are aware of "previous version" that we all talk here about.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:59 pm

Deadly Typhoon: Russian Army to Receive Over 40 Tornado Rocket Systems

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20160116/1033232222/tornado-rocket-system-russia.html#ixzz3xQKEngJj

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:17 pm

From various pages i have reached the following conclusions about Tornado systems:

1. 9A52-4 Tornado.

The 9A52-4 Tornado system is based on the chassis of the KamAZ-63501 8x8 military truck, which provides good tactical mobility. It is equipped with a single container with six launcher tubes for 300-mm rockets, which can fire all current Smerch rockets, including HE-FRAG, incendiary, thermobaric, cluster with anti-personnel or anti-tank mines.
    Maximum range of fire is 70 km with ordinary and 90 km with extended-range rockets. Rockets are fitted with range and direction correction system for better accuracy.

The 9A52-4 multiple launch rocket system may be Russia's answer to the US HIMARS. It is a lightweight and universal version of the Smerch MLRS. The 9A52-4 is more strategically and tactically mobile, but mobility comes at a cost of reduced firepower.

2. 9A53-G Tornado (2x15 1x40 One 122mm Upgraded BM-21 "Grad" Multiple Rocket Launcher Module, based on a Kamaz Truck.

The new Tornado-G looks in view similar to the ageing Grad, but it has a number of improvements. Rockets of this new system have improved range and more powerful warheads. The Tornado-G is also fitted with automatic positioning, navigation, aiming and laying systems.

The Tornado-G rockets are fitted with cluster warheads with self-guided multi-purpose submunitions. These have a range of 30 km and can be used against enemy infantry and armored vehicles. These submunitions penetrate 60 to 100 mm of RHA. Also there are rockets with HE-FRAG warheads. These have a range of up to 40 km.

3. 9A53-U/S Tornado. Unified chasis based on MZKT-79306.

220mm Upgraded BM-27 "Uragan"

300mm Upgraded BM-30 "Smerch"

Only the 2nd type has entered service. I would like to see 1st type also which is considered analogue to US HIMARS

franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  franco on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:47 pm

I believe number 3 will arrive this year in that new Smerch brigade.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:35 pm

Russian MoD to Purchase More Brand New Multiple Rocket Launchers by 2020

The Russian Defense Ministry will purchase around 700 more multiple launch rocket systems (MLRS) of three different types, produced by the Russian Motovilikha Plants manufacturer, by 2020, Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov said Friday.

PERM (Russia) (Sputnik) – Russia is currently implementing a large-scale rearmament program to modernize 70 percent of its military hardware by 2020.

“Motovilikha produces all three types [of the MLRSs] — Tornado-G, a new type, and Uragan and Smerch, which are new modifications of Tornado-S. The volume of purchases in the current state program of armaments is very large, about 700 more systems should be purchased,” Borisov said during a visit to the plant.

“I think that in the newly proposed state program of armaments, these systems will be in demand, because of qualitative changes to the characteristics of the MLRSs, which are becoming high-precision weapons,” the deputy minister added.

Russia is currently implementing a large-scale rearmament program, announced in 2010, to modernize 70 percent of its military hardware. The total modernization program cost is estimated to reach about 20 trillion rubles (some $291 billion at the current exchange rates).

Motovilikha Plants JSC manufactures both metallurgical and military equipment. Besides MLRSs, the company produces field artillery guns, self-propelled artillery and mortars.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20160408/1037696099/russia-mlrs-launchers.html#ixzz45F3IIYD5

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:30 pm

Massive thumbsup

The Russian military for five years, will buy about 700 MLRS

magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  magnumcromagnon on Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:25 am

Viktor wrote:Massive  thumbsup

The Russian military for five years, will buy about 700 MLRS

As I suspected, this is the 'asymmetrical response' VVP was talking about, 700 MLRS and probably at least 200 of them are Smerch 300mm MLRS, in which a single system could easily take out dozens of MBT's at a time with EFP's and anti-tank mines (designed to take out a MBT's mobility). With talks of extending the range of Smerch from 90 km to 150 km and even rumors of pushing the range out to 200 km, which should be an adequate asymmetrical response to NATO's build up in Eastern Europe, and we're talking about conventional warheads, let alone actual tactical nuclear warheads that could be used on a 150 km range 300mm Smerch rocket.

Project Canada
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Project Canada on Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:44 pm

I am confused, the title says Tornado-S but they are showing what looks like a BM-30 Smerch, Am I missing something? is Tornado-S the missile itself? what happened to the supposed new chassis as shown in the above posts? thanks!

Project Canada
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Project Canada on Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:25 pm

Russian Tornado-S Rocket Systems Deliver Blow That Rivals Nuclear Blast

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:13 pm

Project Canada wrote:

I am confused, the title says Tornado-S but they are showing what looks like a BM-30 Smerch, Am I missing something? is Tornado-S the missile itself? what happened to the supposed new chassis as shown in the above posts? thanks!
    Yup even the left-most sign on the models at the end clearly says RS30 <<Smerch>>

Who they foolin'?

OminousSpudd
    Major
    Major

Post  OminousSpudd on Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:15 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    Project Canada wrote:

Yup even the left-most sign on the models at the end clearly says RS30 <<Smerch>>

Who they foolin'?

The legend is back! respekt

Project Canada
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Project Canada on Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:41 am

Smerch aka Tornado-S complete video

so it seems they ditched the modified launch platform and sticked to a more simpler one with minor changes.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:26 am

Most likely. Probably to save money. Although, what is the major difference between both systems?

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:30 am

sepheronx wrote:Most likely. Probably to save money. Although, what is the major difference between both systems?

Navigation and fire control from what i can see. Rest is more or less the same.

JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  JohninMK on Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:30 pm

Part of state Corporation rostec has formed a new holding company, which will specialize in the design and manufacture of jet systems of volley fire (MLRS) “Smerch”. On Wednesday, August 31, according to video News Service.

According to the interlocutor of the Agency in the defense industry, the company was founded on the basis of the Tula company “the Alloy”. Its establishment is associated with increased several times the demand for MLRS. The text notes that part of the holding, in addition to “Alloy”, includes such companies as “Motovilikhinskiye Zavody” (Perm), “Novosibirsk plant of artificial fiber” and “Bryansk chemical plant of a name 50-letiya SSSR”.

The jet system of volley fire “Tornado”, developed in the first half of the 1980s, was adopted in 1987. The creation of a system to the experts “Tulagorvodokanal” (now “Fusion”).

The range of fire of “Smerch” in the modernized version is 120 miles away. Depending on modification, the system can be equipped with four, six or 12 guides for 300-mm rockets. In the calculation of a combat machine consists of three people. Full volley machine of 12 rounds takes 40 seconds, after which the system three minutes can curl up and leave the position.

Missiles “Tornado” equipped with cluster warheads with shrapnel, homing additive or shaped-charge fragmentation submunitions and a monobloc high-explosive and thermobaric parts. In addition, the “Tornado” can realize remote mining area or to launch reconnaissance drones.

http://rushincrash.com/uncategorized/manufacturers-of-reactive-systems-of-volley-fire-in-russia-have-united-in-holding/

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:09 pm

Russian army to get Tornado-S multiple rocket launchers in 2017

The new Tornado-S will be armed with high accuracy rockets and a new automated control and aiming system

MOSCOW, September 26. /TASS/. Russia’s army will start getting multiple rocket launchers Tornado-S starting from next year, the chief of the department concerned at the Defense Ministry’s state defense contract support department, Mikhail Osyko, said on Monday.

"In 2016, the 220-mm system Uragan-M1 was authorized for service. So was the 300-mm system Tornado-S. It was approved in July-August-2016. The inter-departmental commission has approved the documentation," Osyko said on the Rossiya-24 television news channel.

He recalled that the contract for providing Tornado-S and a number of new rockets for them was signed at the Army-2016 forum, held near Moscow, at the beginning of September.

"The army will have them in 2017," he added.

Earlier, Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov said that Tornado-S will begin to be manufactured serially in 2017.

The new system will surpass its predecessor in terms of the range of fire. It will be armed with high accuracy rockets and a new automated control and aiming system.

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/902239

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:10 am

Current date/time is Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:10 am