Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian MRLS: Grad, Smerch, Uragan, Tornado

George1

Re: Russian MRLS: Grad, Smerch, Uragan, Tornado

Post  George1 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:51 am

Tornado-S and Smerch have the capability to fire tactical missiles also?
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:29 am

Probably not, but the heavier vehicle will likely be unified with the Iskander system and therefore will operate with both ballistic and cruise missiles.
    Viktor

Post  Viktor on Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:13 pm

Nice thumbsup

In the Eastern Military District troops arrived latest multiple launch rocket systems "Tornado-G"

About 20 new multiple launch rocket systems (MLRS) "Tornado-G" came in motorized infantry connection Eastern Military District (BBO) to replace the MLRS "Grad".
    George1

Post  George1 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:44 pm

Viktor wrote:Nice  thumbsup

In the Eastern Military District troops arrived latest multiple launch rocket systems "Tornado-G"

About 20 new multiple launch rocket systems (MLRS) "Tornado-G" came in motorized infantry connection Eastern Military District (BBO) to replace the MLRS "Grad".

they are identical in view right?
    Akula971

Post  Akula971 on Tue May 12, 2015 8:03 am

This has me quite confused, how different does a Tornado G look from a BM 21 GRAD ??

The other variants of the Tornado look different from the base models, albeit being lighter and all but so far, all the intel i have suggets that the Tornado G and the BM 21 Grad look the same ?

I am just talking about appearance here, not the range and GLONASS support that has been added.

George1

Post  George1 on Tue May 12, 2015 3:45 pm

Akula971 wrote:This has me quite confused, how different does a Tornado G look from a BM 21 GRAD ??

The other variants of the Tornado look different from the base models, albeit being lighter and all but so far, all the intel i have suggets that the Tornado G and the BM 21 Grad look the same ?

I am just talking about appearance here, not the range and GLONASS support that has been added.

yes exactly the same in appearance
    Akula971

Post  Akula971 on Tue May 12, 2015 5:30 pm

So that means its not air droppable like its S and U versions.

Still the added range is amazing. 100Kms is a lot. I believe they can have the vehicles relocate before the salvo reaches its target from that distance.
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Wed May 13, 2015 3:13 am

Akula971 wrote:So that means its not air droppable like its S and U versions.

Still the added range is amazing. 100Kms is a lot. I believe they can have the vehicles relocate before the salvo reaches its target from that distance.

AFAIK, the max range for the Tornado-G is 90km, while some sources mention 40-50km.

It's basically an upgraded GRAD with sat-nav, automation of the targeting process and new rockets

some of the novelties on it (click)
    George1

Post  George1 on Wed May 13, 2015 3:24 am

i wonder why Russian military hasn't received yet Tornado-U or -S.
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Wed May 13, 2015 3:33 am

There was a report that the Tornado-S started entering service at the end of 2014, but I haven't seen any photo evidence yet.
    George1

Post  George1 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:06 pm

Developer: newest MLRS "Tornado-G" is 15 times more effective than "Grad"
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:36 am

George1 wrote:Developer: newest MLRS "Tornado-G" is 15 times more effective than "Grad"

Oh mama this looks good. I presume Tornado-G can be applied to existing Grads to have kinda Grad Block-G by adding computerized fire control, Glonass and new ammo pack.

I wonder if Buyan corvettes will receive Tornado G upgrade? 90km of range sounds better then most of naval guns.
    d_taddei2

BM-21 Grad a worthy mention

Post  d_taddei2 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:13 am

Hi all, with the 9A52-4 Tornado now starting replace the BM-21 in Russian service i thought it would be worth a mention of the service the BM-21 has given Russia and various other countries. Although it will still be service for many years to come, with the replacement of it in Russian forces in a few years time the BM-21 will be sent into storage.

The system yet pretty simple compaired to other systems out there the BM-21 has to be the most produced MLRS system ever(although i might be wrong please correct me if i am) and also must be the most widely used MLRS system in service today. I think reason for this must be down to its simplicity and cost, i am not sure of the exact cost but it must cheapest MLRS system on the market. The system has spawned many copies by other countries with their own various changes, but ultimately the design is the same. The cheap cost allows countries field a decent amount and the system is pretty effective and has a variety of different rockets (not sure if there ever did thermobaric anyone know if they did?). In my eyes this is up there with the likes of the T-55, T-72, BMP-1, BTR 60, Mi-8, Mi-24, Mig 21, Mig 29, which are all iconic and great pieces of equipment which made the soviet army and still to this day have a long legendary legacy. So here's to the BM-21 Grad and it entering the soviet military machine hall of fame.

If anyone wants to put there thoughts on this it would be great.

GarryB

Post  GarryB on Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:43 am

You know you did a good design job when the replacement looks like the article it is replacing...

On land and at sea the Grad did an excellent job... I am a little surprised there was no air launched model 122mm rocket... well there was a 5 shot 122mm rocket pod but it used an unrelated rocket AFAIK.

Not particularly accurate... but it didn't need to be...

Would have been useful for blunting enemy attacks, especially with later models with anti tank submunitions.

It had a range of payloads and in early models 20km was a decent range, while later models achieved ranges of 36-40km.

An excellent way of getting large amounts of HE and splinters on an area target rapidly.

The same characteristic that would have made it ideal to deliver chemical or biological weapons...
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:10 pm

GarryB wrote:You know you did a good design job when the replacement looks like the article it is replacing...

On land and at sea the Grad did an excellent job... I am a little surprised there was no air launched model 122mm rocket... well there was a 5 shot 122mm rocket pod but it used an unrelated rocket AFAIK.

Not particularly accurate... but it didn't need to be...

Would have been useful for blunting enemy attacks, especially with later models with anti tank submunitions.

It had a range of payloads and in early models 20km was a decent range, while later models achieved ranges of 36-40km.

An excellent way of getting large amounts of HE and splinters on an area target rapidly.

The same characteristic that would have made it ideal to deliver chemical or biological weapons...

yeah i forgot to mention its uses on navel vessels, and your right the appearance is identical. Even today 36-40km is a pretty decent range when you consider the cost of BM-21 allows you to field more and using shooting and scooting tactics becomes very effective,

interesting your mention on air launch theory, being totally out of the box, imagine a Russian type AC-130 armed with 40 tube rack on its belly Smile
    George1

Post  George1 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:25 am

Test-launches of new MLRS to be completed by end of 2015 — manufacturer

Multiple rocket launcher systems of 300mm caliber are at a stage of state test-launches, deputy general director of NPO said

ST. PETERSBURG, July 3. /TASS/. Test-launches of new multiple rocket launcher systems (MLRS) of 300mm caliber will be completed by the end of 2015, deputy general director of NPO Splav Gennady Kalyuzhny told TASS on Friday.

"They [multiple rocket launcher systems of 300mm caliber] are at a stage of state test-launches which we plan to finish this year. Test-launches of 220mm caliber systems have already been completed, and the 300mm caliber system is at the final stage of state test-launches," Kalyuzhny said at the International Maritime Defense Show in St. Petersburg.

Kalyuzhny reminded that new Tornado-G multiple rocket launcher system was put into operation. "We launched serial production of the system," he noted, adding that it exceeds Grad MLRS in efficiency.

Grad and Tornado-G, which represents a modernized Grad system, have 122mm caliber. They are designed to strike armored vehicles, artillery and mortars, as well as command posts. The Uragan MLRS has 220mm caliber.
    franco

Post  franco on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:49 pm

Interesting to see deployment of the new "S" and the "U" MRLS. At the present time there are the following operational units;

Smerch 300mm - 2 units with 12 each (Total = 24)
    Urgan 220mm - 4 units with 24 each plus each of the 8 Ground Forces Artillery brigades has a unit with 8 each. (Total = 160)
    George1

Post  George1 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Russia's Western Military District gets newest Tornado-G multiple rocket launchers

The new 122-mm Tornado-G MRLS will replace the BM-21 Grad system

MOSCOW, July 22. /TASS/. More than 20 units of the newest Tornado-G multiple rocket launch system (MRLS) have entered service with the Taman motorized infantry division and the Kantemirovskaya tank division of the Western Military District, stationed in the Moscow region, district spokesman Colonel Oleg Kochetkov told reporters on Wednesday.

"The new 122-mm Tornado-G MRLS will replace the BM-21 Grad system. The Tornado-G three times surpasses the Grad MRLS in combat effectiveness by means of higher ammunition yield, and automated self-guidance, aiming, geo location and navigation system," he said.

The new system’s combat deployment is 1.5 times shorter and its hitting range is expanded to 1 hectare, he said.

Artillerists of the Western Military District will conduct the first life fire exercise using the Tornado-G MRLS within the coming month.
    George1

Post  George1 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:35 am

Techmash: new MLRS "Uragan-1M" to be accepted in service in Russia
    franco

Post  franco on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:17 am

George1 wrote:Techmash: new MLRS "Uragan-1M" to be accepted in service in Russia

The new multiple launch rocket system (MLRS) “Uragan-1M” of a 220 mm caliber is entering service in Russia; its features are full automation and ability to use interchangeable packets of ammunition, First Deputy Director General of “Tecmash” concern (included in “Rostec”) Vladimir Tikhonov told RIA Novosti on Friday.

The system is being developed by the Tula-located enterprise NPO “Splav” (included in “Tehmash”).

“The MLRS “Uragan-1M” is entering service in Russia. State tests have been successfully completed. This is a modernization of well-established multiple rocket launchers “Uragan” of the previous generation. The main essence of modernization is the use of interchangeable packages, that is, the system will be bi-caliber, it will be able to use ammunition of a larger caliber”, – said Tikhonov.

Does "use ammunition of a larger caliber" = 300mm. If so one system could replace both. For shorter ranges 220mm and 300mm for longer ranges. Would be an interesting system if so.
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:24 am

franco wrote:
    George1 wrote:Techmash: new MLRS "Uragan-1M" to be accepted in service in Russia

The new multiple launch rocket system (MLRS) “Uragan-1M” of a 220 mm caliber is entering service in Russia; its features are full automation and ability to use interchangeable packets of ammunition, First Deputy Director General of “Tecmash” concern (included in “Rostec”) Vladimir Tikhonov told RIA Novosti on Friday.

The system is being developed by the Tula-located enterprise NPO “Splav” (included in “Tehmash”).

“The MLRS “Uragan-1M” is entering service in Russia. State tests have been successfully completed. This is a modernization of well-established multiple rocket launchers “Uragan” of the previous generation. The main essence of modernization is the use of interchangeable packages, that is, the system will be bi-caliber, it will be able to use ammunition of a larger caliber”, – said Tikhonov.

Does "use ammunition of a larger caliber" = 300mm. If so one system could replace both. For shorter ranges 220mm and 300mm for longer ranges. Would be an interesting system if so.

Dual launcher is seems

Go big or go home russia
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:05 am

So the new vehicle can use the rocket pods of the Uragan and Smerch...

this is a good step as the Uragan had 16 tubes of 220mm calibre rockets, while Smerch had 12 tubes of 300mm calibre rockets.

Grad has 40 tubes of 122mm rockets, while MLRS has 12 tubes of 227mm rockets.

I suspect the future forces will combine the two heavier rocket vehicles in one vehicle that can be loaded with two pallets of either of the rocket types or combinations.

It might even be able to carry the lighter calibre rockets too (122mm). which would make it rather more flexible.

For situations where smaller vehicles are better then the new version of Grad could be the best option, but there was also a light version able to carry one pallet that could be used to.

Will be interesting to see which way they go.
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian on Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:02 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    franco wrote:

Dual launcher is seems

Go big or go home russia

Thanks PapaDragon.

My vote
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:16 pm

@TheArmenian: no problem buddy, thanks thumbsup

This would be 220 mm version

300 mm one

And there is a combo version also. Although, I am pretty sure they could get away with using smaller truck...

Can't post source because OP did not bother to post one... dunno
    George1

Post  George1 on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:30 pm

From what i conclude, Tornado is only modernization of older MRLSs? Not completely a new system?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:10 am