Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Share

    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1745
    Points : 1785
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  franco on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:40 pm

    According to this article, the Air Force Aircraft Repair Plants repaired the following aircraft in 2014;

    9 Su-27
    16 Su-24M
    4 Su-24MR
    14 Mig-29
    2 Mig-31
    1 Tu-95MS
    1 Tu-22M3

    10 L-39
    3 Il-18
    2 Il-20
    1 Il-22
    2 Il-78M
    1 Il-78

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1342446.html

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9432
    Points : 9924
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  George1 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:59 pm

    Excellent work friend!


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1745
    Points : 1785
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  franco on Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:15 am

    I was surprised by the 3 Il-18's as I thought there was only one left in service and considering they are from the late 60's / early 70's.

    nemrod
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 806
    Points : 1309
    Join date : 2012-09-11

    Question : Will Russia air force receive 126 SU-34/35 in 2015 ?

    Post  nemrod on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:49 am

    Or on 126 new aircrafts, just only a small parts are SU-34/SU-35 ?


    http://www.ibtimes.com/russian-air-force-receives-new-su-34-bombers-su-35s-fighters-military-expansion-2012499


    Russian Air Force Receives New Su-34 Bombers, Su-35S Fighters As Military Expansion Continues

    The Russian Air Force received new orders of upgraded Su-34 bombers and Su-35S fighters on Thursday, state-owned manufacturer Sukhoi confirmed Thursday. The aircraft shipments were a direct result of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s plan to overhaul the Russian military by the end of the decade.

    Sukhoi’s plant in the central Russian city Novosibirsk will continue to produce Su-34 bombers through 2020, Sukhoi told Russian news agency Tass. Su-35S fighter production will proceed over the same time period, though it’s unclear how many of each aircraft ultimately will be built. The Russian Air Force reportedly will receive a total of 126 new aircraft in 2015.

    “The airplanes were manufactured under the state orders on the delivery of combat aviation equipment to the Russian Air Force envisaged by the State Armament Program for 2011-2020. Their implementation will make it possible to deeply modernize the country’s armed forces and guarantee the Sukhoi company and its subcontracting enterprises the workload for the long-term perspective,” the manufacturer said in a statement to Tass.



    Upgrades were made to the Su-34’s top speed and flight range. Russia also claimed the SU-35S fighter was “heavily upgraded” with “better flight characteristics,” but did not provide specifics.

    Russia’s armed forces have undergone widespread expansion and conducted military exercises around the world in recent months, even as Western leaders have expressed concern about Moscow’s increased activity in Eastern Europe. Both the European Union and the United States enacted economic sanctions against Russia for its purported support of pro-Russian separatists in the eastern Ukraine conflict.

    Despite the international criticism, Putin vowed last March to dedicate more than 21 trillion rubles, or $340 billion, to the modernization of the country’s military, Reuters reported. By early July, that number had increased to approximately $600 billion, Russia’s Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov said. The expansion of Russia’s air force and the development of the next-generation Armata T-14 tank were considered major aspects of Putin’s program.



    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9432
    Points : 9924
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  George1 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:08 am

    nemrod wrote:Or on 126 new aircrafts, just only a small parts are SU-34/SU-35 ?


    http://www.ibtimes.com/russian-air-force-receives-new-su-34-bombers-su-35s-fighters-military-expansion-2012499


    Russian Air Force Receives New Su-34 Bombers, Su-35S Fighters As Military Expansion Continues

    The Russian Air Force received new orders of upgraded Su-34 bombers and Su-35S fighters on Thursday, state-owned manufacturer Sukhoi confirmed Thursday. The aircraft shipments were a direct result of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s plan to overhaul the Russian military by the end of the decade.

    Sukhoi’s plant in the central Russian city Novosibirsk will continue to produce Su-34 bombers through 2020, Sukhoi told Russian news agency Tass. Su-35S fighter production will proceed over the same time period, though it’s unclear how many of each aircraft ultimately will be built. The Russian Air Force reportedly will receive a total of 126 new aircraft in 2015.

    “The airplanes were manufactured under the state orders on the delivery of combat aviation equipment to the Russian Air Force envisaged by the State Armament Program for 2011-2020. Their implementation will make it possible to deeply modernize the country’s armed forces and guarantee the Sukhoi company and its subcontracting enterprises the workload for the long-term perspective,” the manufacturer said in a statement to Tass.



    Upgrades were made to the Su-34’s top speed and flight range. Russia also claimed the SU-35S fighter was “heavily upgraded” with “better flight characteristics,” but did not provide specifics.

    Russia’s armed forces have undergone widespread expansion and conducted military exercises around the world in recent months, even as Western leaders have expressed concern about Moscow’s increased activity in Eastern Europe. Both the European Union and the United States enacted economic sanctions against Russia for its purported support of pro-Russian separatists in the eastern Ukraine conflict.

    Despite the international criticism, Putin vowed last March to dedicate more than 21 trillion rubles, or $340 billion, to the modernization of the country’s military, Reuters reported. By early July, that number had increased to approximately $600 billion, Russia’s Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov said. The expansion of Russia’s air force and the development of the next-generation Armata T-14 tank were considered major aspects of Putin’s program.



    no way of course 124 su-34/su-35 in a year. 124 total aircrafts including transports and trainers. For this year the number for Su-34 is 18 units and for Su-35S 14 units


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1745
    Points : 1785
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  franco on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:59 pm

    Aerospace Force receives another 4 L-410 UVP's. This makes a total of 15 received so far.
    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1424032.html

    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1745
    Points : 1785
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  franco on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:04 am

    Russian Modern Aircraft Squadrons Operational by end of 2015

    4 squadrons Su-25SM
    2 squadrons Su-25SM2 + 1 forming Su-25SM3
    3 squadrons Su-24M2
    5 squadrons Su-34 + 1 forming
    2 squadrons Mig-29SMT + 1 forming
    5 squadrons Mig-31BM + 1 forming
    3 squadrons Su-27SM2 + 1 forming
    1 squadron Su-27SM3
    3 squadrons Su-30SM + 2 forming
    3 squadrons Su-35S

    1 squadron Mig-29K + 1 forming

    A squadron has 12 aircraft plus 2-4 spares.

    calripson
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 129
    Points : 150
    Join date : 2013-10-26

    2015 Deliveries

    Post  calripson on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:06 pm

    What are the year to date deliveries of Su 30SM, Su 35, Su 34, Mig 29, Mi 28, and Ka 52 ?

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9432
    Points : 9924
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  George1 on Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:17 pm

    calripson wrote:What are the year to date deliveries of Su 30SM, Su 35, Su 34, Mig 29, Mi 28, and Ka 52 ?

    4x Su-30SM
    6x Su-34
    0x MiG-29SMT


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    ult
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Posts : 621
    Points : 661
    Join date : 2015-02-20

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  ult on Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:02 pm

    2 x Su-35S



    http://fotografersha.livejournal.com/693611.html

    But it's hard to keep track this year.

    tdobai
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 7
    Points : 9
    Join date : 2014-09-23

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  tdobai on Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:00 pm

    In the third picture on the website, why is the surface so uneven?

    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1745
    Points : 1785
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  franco on Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:44 pm

    If all goes according to present plans and schedules, expect to see the following numbers of operational Combat squadrons by the end of 2020.

    Air Force

    7-8 squadrons Su-25SM3
    2 squadrons Su-25SM2
    2-3 squadrons Su-24M2
    2-3 squadrons Su-24MR
    9-10 squadrons Su-34
    3 squadrons Mig-29S
    3 squadrons Mig-29SMT
    2 squadrons Mig-35
    7-8 squadrons Mig-31BM
    6 squadrons Su-27SM2
    1 squadron Su-27SM3
    4 squadrons Su-30SM
    7 squadrons Su-35S
    1-3 squadrons T-50
    2 squadrons Tu-22M3
    2 squadrons Tu-22M3M
    2-3 squadrons Tu-95MSM
    1 squadron Tu-160M

    Naval Aviation

    2 squadrons Mig-29K
    1 squadron Su-33M
    3 squadrons Su-30SM
    2 squadrons Tu-142M
    3 squadrons Il-38N

    A squadron has 12 aircraft plus 2-4 spares.

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9432
    Points : 9924
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  George1 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:54 pm

    The results of the activities of the United Aircraft Corporation in 2014 and prospects

    The official website of UAC published annual report for 2014 in the form of presentations to investors, different from the official published version, and contains interesting data on the results of 2014 and prospects for the next few years (an overview of the standard report earlier in the LJ, it does have some Error on deliveries of passenger aircraft and any special aircraft).


    The results of 2014.

       In 2014, the Corporation has shipped 159 aircraft, which is 48 units, or 43% more than the year before. The largest increase was registered in the supply of military aircraft in the direction where the delivery with respect to the level of 2013 increased by 57%, or 45 aircraft.
       Starting from 2013, the main share of military supplies to the domestic market as a priority of the Corporation is to update the fleet of the Armed Forces.

    • In 2014, in the interests of the Russian Defense Ministry delivered 102 aircraft of typesSu-30, Su-34, Su-35, MiG-29K/KUB fighters and Yak-130. Another 18 aircraft were delivered to the Corporation during the period under the state contract with the Russian Ministry of Defense for repair and modernization of the MiG-31BM.


    • As part of the export contracts for military equipment in 2014 it was delivered  a total of 22 aircrafts of the Su-30 and MiG-29K / KUB.


    • In civil direction shipments reached 33 units, including 24 aircraft for domestic customers and nine aircraft sent for export. The largest share of deliveries to civil aviation came in from SSJ 100: The Corporation has shipped 27 aircraft of this type, including 12 aircraft for the airline "Aeroflot", 4 aircraft for "Avia Gazprom", two aircraft passed the program re-marketing, the airline Red Wings, as well as 9 aircraft for the Mexican airline Interjet, which is the largest foreign operator of this type of aircraft. Also, in the direction of civil aviation government customers in the reporting year it was transferred to 6 aircraft An-148.


    • In addition, during the year the Corporation has put two aircraft for special purposes: Tu-214ON for the Russian Defense Ministry to implement observation flights under the contract "Open Skies", as well as Tu-214SR for the Office of the President of the Russian Federation.


    • In the segment of air transport supplies it was not, although officially reported the delivery of the first production of IL-76MD-90A on Beriev.


    Contracting

    • 04/15/2014 - signed a contract for the delivery of the Russian Air Force 16 medium multi-role fighters MiG-29 SMT until the end of 2016.


    • 08.17.2014 - JSC "Tupolev" signed a contract with the Russian Defense Ministry on the implementation of the ROC "Tu-22M3M" in 2014-2018 years.


    • 05.09.2014 - JSC "Corporation" Irkut "signed a contract with the Russian Ministry of Defence for the supply of 7 Su-30SM in 2015-2018 years.


    • 08/09/2014 - signed a contract with the Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations for the supply in 2015 of two Sukhoi Superjet-100 aircraft and an agreement of intent to supply in the years 2016-2025 8 more Sukhoi Superjet-100 aircraft, 6 transport aircraft Il-76MD-90A aircraft and 10 Be-200.


    • 11/14/2014 - signed a state contract to carry out development works on creation of light military transport aircraft Il-112V for the Russian Defense Ministry.


    • 11/21/2014 - signed a contract with the Russian Defense Ministry to perform repairs to the modernization of 53 MiG-31 in the 2015-2018 years.


    Future projects

    • 10/23/2014 JSC "Tupolev" was completed stage of draft technical design for the development work of "Tu-160M."


    • In 2014, we developed and approved production schedules "Aviastar-SP" for the implementation of the contract for the delivery of the first batch of aircraft Il-76MD-90A. There were made two Il-76MD-90A, designed for use as platforms of special aviation aircraft.


    • In 2014, the continued development of design documentation for the establishment of long-term tanker aircraft Ilyushin-78M-90A. At present the production of the prototype of the aircraft.


    • Creation of the PAK-FA for the Russian Defense Ministry is going according to schedule. Completed first and started the second stage of the program of preliminary tests.


    • The project to create a family of promising transport aircraft (PTS), including super-heavy military transport aircraft is under initiation. It is assumed that the first delivery will be made in 2025. The maximum capacity of this type of aircraft will be in different versions 80t, 160t and 240 t.


    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1473336.html


    Last edited by George1 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:14 am; edited 3 times in total


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    eehnie
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 571
    Points : 596
    Join date : 2015-05-13

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  eehnie on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:43 am

    In my view, and talking about combat warfare or at least warfare for contested areas, these would be the needs of the Russian Air Forces:

    1.- Transport for contested areas: The development of the Il-PAK-TA seems key to me since subsonic air transport is not able to operate safely enough in contested areas.

    2.- Trainers: While the Yak-130 is a new model, and still is in production, I think it would be positive for the Russian Air Force to have a new trainer model supersonic. China has developed supersonic trainers and I see it interesting.

    3.- Helicopters for contested areas: The development of unmanned helicopters for every low sped role in contested areas seems a big need to me. I would not develop new manned helicopters to work in contested areas.

    4.- Strategic Bombers: This area has some all the most aged aerial warfare except the Be-12 (Il-38, Tu-95/142 and Tu-22) and it is necessary a replacement for the long term, since the concept has a prospect for the future with the new ammunition (missiles) that requires not to fly over the target to hit it. The development of the Tu-PAK-DA seems key for a replacement of them in the long term.

    Of course, is needed to continue the production of the current warfare of all types as needed.
    And also it would be interesting some change between the active and the reserve warfare.

    It is the future to me. It will take years, but to reach these goals would give an important technological advantage to the first who does it.

    Note: Not considered potential needs in military air transport for safe areas. It can be solved more likely with military versions of civilian models.

    cracker
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Posts : 232
    Points : 273
    Join date : 2014-09-03

    Confusion on all the current russian fighters

    Post  cracker on Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:29 am

    Hi

    So, since a few weeks i've been more and more interested in planes (i'm rather an AFV man)... I think it might be linked to my interest of the russian air campain in syria...

    I'd like someone who could sum it up clearly for me about the various modern airplanes in service and why so many variants are planed/purchased...

    I've got in mind:

    SU-27SM/SM3
    SU-35S
    SU-30SM
    SU-30M2
    MiG-29SMT
    MiG-35

    Ok, so, why russian MOD chose to produce 2 brand new SU variants in parallel? the 30SM and 35S are seemingly both multirole fighters and kind of fit the same roles... I think the SU-35S is kind of more advanced but if so, why continue the purchase of SU-30?

    I understand that the SU-27SM modernisation and MiG-29SMT modernisation are badly needed to maintain the current fleet somewhat up to the task.

    Again, if mod is fond of those 2 modern 35S and 30SM Sukhoi products, why are they also so much interested in the MiG-35? what will this plane bring that ain't already there? If you look most armies, they chose 1 multirole fighter and are done with it, if needed they develop the future generation, but they aren't fielding 3 comparable aircrafts at the very same time...

    Also there is the SU-34, which is very different from the "simple" multirole SU-30SM but yet could perform most of its missions while also being a bomber. Why the need for those 2 twoseaters, why not just the SU-34?

    My questions don't include the T-50 because this plane is obviously going to be the next gen, and, i don't know enough about it and i'm not really interested in it for now. I also don't want to include the MiG-31BM in this debate because i'm aware this plane is not comparable and fits a particular role.

    Last questions, i know it's rather subjective and biased, but what do you think about the top russian multirole-fighter planes (let's say MiG-35, SU-35S, SU-30SM) compared to the "top" western equivalent planes? Of course if i go on F-16.net the kind of answers i'll find there will give me cancer, but, if some of you are really knowledgeable on the question, please enlighten me.

    Last, i'd like your opinion on which is the best choice, best airplane currently for russia, is it the SU-30SM for its versatility, the SU-35S with an edge for AA warfare?

    What is the real capability of the MiG-31 (as a whole, and maybe BM specifically) against all possible threats?

    F-15E and SU-34 are very similar in concept yet very different, what do you think is the best overall of the two? (maybe use the SU-30SM instead)

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9432
    Points : 9924
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  George1 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:12 am

    SU-27SM3 = 12
    SU-35S = 36
    SU-30SM = 42
    SU-30M2 = 16
    MiG-29SMT = 34
    MiG-35 = 0


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1745
    Points : 1785
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  franco on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:00 pm

    cracker wrote:Hi

    So, since a few weeks i've been more and more interested in planes (i'm rather an AFV man)... I think it might be linked to my interest of the russian air campain in syria...

    I'd like someone who could sum it up clearly for me about the various modern airplanes in service and why so many variants are planed/purchased...

    I've got in mind:

    SU-27SM/SM3
    SU-35S
    SU-30SM
    SU-30M2
    MiG-29SMT
    MiG-35

    Ok, so, why russian MOD chose to produce 2 brand new SU variants in parallel? the 30SM and 35S are seemingly both multirole fighters and kind of fit the same roles... I think the SU-35S is kind of more advanced but if so, why continue the purchase of SU-30?

    I understand that the SU-27SM modernisation and MiG-29SMT modernisation are badly needed to maintain the current fleet somewhat up to the task.

    Again, if mod is fond of those 2 modern 35S and 30SM Sukhoi products, why are they also so much interested in the MiG-35? what will this plane bring that ain't already there? If you look most armies, they chose 1 multirole fighter and are done with it, if needed they develop the future generation, but they aren't fielding 3 comparable aircrafts at the very same time...

    Also there is the SU-34, which is very different from the "simple" multirole SU-30SM but yet could perform most of its missions while also being a bomber. Why the need for those 2 twoseaters, why not just the SU-34?

    My questions don't include the T-50 because this plane is obviously going to be the next gen, and, i don't know enough about it and i'm not really interested in it for now. I also don't want to include the MiG-31BM in this debate because i'm aware this plane is not comparable and fits a particular role.

    Last questions, i know it's rather subjective and biased, but what do you think about the top russian multirole-fighter planes (let's say MiG-35, SU-35S, SU-30SM) compared to the "top" western equivalent planes? Of course if i go on F-16.net the kind of answers i'll find there will give me cancer, but, if some of you are really knowledgeable on the question, please enlighten me.

    Last, i'd like your opinion on which is the best choice, best airplane currently for russia, is it the SU-30SM for its versatility, the SU-35S with an edge for AA warfare?

    What is the real capability of the MiG-31 (as a whole, and maybe BM specifically) against all possible threats?

    F-15E and SU-34 are very similar in concept yet very different, what do you think is the best overall of the two? (maybe use the SU-30SM instead)

    Wow, a lot of questions and I'll try a couple;

    - you answered yourself the questions of the 27SM and 29SMT
    - most countries only develop one model but the USSR developed a light, cheaper version to go with the heavier more expensive version (Mig-29 > Su-27) just like the USA did with the F-16 > F-15.
    - questions in regards to the 30SM, to start with it is not a new development. The Su-30 was developed as a 2-seat multi-role variant of the Su-27 specifically for foreign clients. The Russian Air Force did not purchase it even though it turned out to be an effective aircraft. The Su-35 and Su-34 are new developments which take time and money. The Russian Air Force needed new aircraft now, so new technology developed for the 35 and 34 are uploaded onto the 30's which was already in production. So the 30 is a cost effective compromise of the two others as they are slowly developed and manufactured. The Su-30M2 seems to be a replacement for the Su-27UB conversion trainer to be used for 27SM's, 30's and 35's.
    - IMO the Mig-35 will only be purchased to showcase for foreign sales as a cheaper lighter multi-role fighter aircraft.

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  sepheronx on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:21 pm

    In current times, the option of a cheaper fighter is far better for Russia due to economic issues. In this particular case, either more Su-30SM's (due to being cheaper from lots of production, options for even further upgrades in the future (with partnering countries as well like India and Algeria as examples) and a very effective aircraft) or MiG-35's if they end up cheaper than the others.

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  sepheronx on Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:05 am

    Franco, do you have the numbers of the VVS for how many planes they have (fighters, bombers, interceptors, airsuperiority, etc) and models?  I would appreciate it if you have such info on hand.

    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1745
    Points : 1785
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    VVS Numbers

    Post  franco on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:11 pm

    sepheronx wrote:Franco, do you have the numbers of the VVS for how many planes they have (fighters, bombers, interceptors, airsuperiority, etc) and models?  I would appreciate it if you have such info on hand.

    Numbers of aircraft like those of the tanks is misleading. There are a lot in storage and that is where they belong... worn out and outdated. Like the tanks I count them by those in actual use and more so by operational Combat Squadrons. A RASF combat squadron has 12 aircraft plus another 2-4 spares (this is typical in air forces, in the West they are called Hanger Queens). For this exercise I'll say an average of 15 aircraft per. I'm not counting the aircraft in training units but am those assigned to Naval Aviation.

    Mig-31 - 9 squadrons = 135 aircraft
    Mig-29 - 5 squadrons = 75 aircraft * 2 Mig-29K squadrons & 1 Mig-29SMT squadron being formed
    Su-27 - 9 squadrons = 135 aircraft * plus another 5 aircraft in Central Asia
    Su-33 - 1 squadron = 15 aircraft * officially 2 squadrons but only 16-18 still operational
    Su-30 - 2 squadrons = 30 aircraft * 3 more squadrons in the process of being formed
    Su-35 - 2 squadrons = 30 aircraft * 1 more squadron in the process of being formed

    Su-24M - 10 squadrons = 150 aircraft
    Su-25 - 10 squadrons = 150 aircraft * plus another 10 aircraft in Central Asia
    Su-34 - 5 squadrons = 60 aircraft * so far no spares per squadron as they attempt to replace the 24M's which are very long in the tooth

    Su-24MR - 5 squadrons = 75 aircraft * reconnaissance

    Tu-22M3 - 4 squadrons = 60 aircraft
    Tu-95MS - 3 squadrons = 45 aircraft
    Tu-160 - 1 squadron = 12 aircraft * there are 15 or so but the rest are being rebuilt

    Total = 987

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9432
    Points : 9924
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  George1 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:17 pm

    So MiG-29s are 75 in total including the 14 MiG-29K and 34 MiG-29SMT of former Algerian deal?

    Also Su-27s are only 140? I thought their number exceeded 200 aircrafts


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  sepheronx on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:22 pm

    franco wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Franco, do you have the numbers of the VVS for how many planes they have (fighters, bombers, interceptors, airsuperiority, etc) and models?  I would appreciate it if you have such info on hand.

    Numbers of aircraft like those of the tanks is misleading. There are a lot in storage and that is where they belong... worn out and outdated. Like the tanks I count them by those in actual use and more so by operational Combat Squadrons. A RASF combat squadron has 12 aircraft plus another 2-4 spares (this is typical in air forces, in the West they are called Hanger Queens). For this exercise I'll say an average of 15 aircraft per. I'm not counting the aircraft in training units but am those assigned to Naval Aviation.

    Mig-31 - 9 squadrons = 135 aircraft
    Mig-29 - 5 squadrons = 75 aircraft * 2 Mig-29K squadrons & 1 Mig-29SMT squadron being formed
    Su-27 - 9 squadrons = 135 aircraft * plus another 5 aircraft in Central Asia
    Su-33 - 1 squadron = 15 aircraft * officially 2 squadrons but only 16-18 still operational
    Su-30 - 2 squadrons = 30 aircraft * 3 more squadrons in the process of being formed
    Su-35 - 2 squadrons = 30 aircraft * 1 more squadron in the process of being formed

    Su-24M - 10 squadrons = 150 aircraft
    Su-25 - 10 squadrons = 150 aircraft * plus another 10 aircraft in Central Asia
    Su-34 - 5 squadrons = 60 aircraft * so far no spares per squadron as they attempt to replace the 24M's which are very long in the tooth

    Su-24MR - 5 squadrons = 75 aircraft * reconnaissance

    Tu-22M3 - 4 squadrons = 60 aircraft
    Tu-95MS - 3 squadrons = 45 aircraft
    Tu-160 - 1 squadron = 12 aircraft * there are 15 or so but the rest are being rebuilt

    Total = 987

    Those numbers seem very low.  How come aviation week world military inventory has over 300 Su-27's/  Were did you get your sources from?  As well, I heard there was at least over 100 MiG-29's still in service.
    "World Military Aircraft Inventory". 2014 Aerospace: Aviation Week and Space Technology, January 2014.

    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1745
    Points : 1785
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  franco on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:31 pm

    George1 wrote:So MiG-29s are 75 in total including the 14 MiG-29K and 34 MiG-29SMT of former Algerian deal?

    Also Su-27s are only 140? I thought their number exceeded 200 aircrafts

    Does not include the 29K's, they just started pilot conversion training last month and are not operational yet but it does include the SMT's.
    The Combat operational Mig-29 squadrons are at Kursk (2), Millerovo (2) and Erebuni (1). There are many 29's still in training units in at least 9 locations.
    Again with the Su-27's, there are 5 squadrons of either Demonstration Flights or training aircraft also. The total above is Combat Units only.


    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  sepheronx on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:35 pm

    franco wrote:
    George1 wrote:So MiG-29s are 75 in total including the 14 MiG-29K and 34 MiG-29SMT of former Algerian deal?

    Also Su-27s are only 140? I thought their number exceeded 200 aircrafts

    Does not include the 29K's, they just started pilot conversion training last month and are not operational yet but it does include the SMT's.
    The Combat operational Mig-29 squadrons are at Kursk (2), Millerovo (2) and Erebuni (1). There are many 29's still in training units in at least 9 locations.
    Again with the Su-27's, there are 5 squadrons of either Demonstration Flights or training aircraft also. The total above is Combat Units only.

     

    OK, that makes more sense about the Su-27's.  Now the ones used for demonstration flights or training flights can also be used for Combat if needed, right?  Or are they lacking in specific equipment?

    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1745
    Points : 1785
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  franco on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:38 pm

    Those numbers seem very low. How come aviation week world military inventory has over 300 Su-27's/ Were did you get your sources from? As well, I heard there was at least over 100 MiG-29's still in service.
    "World Military Aircraft Inventory". 2014 Aerospace: Aviation Week and Space Technology, January 2014.


    Again Combat units only. Time you add those in training units, Demonstration Flights, in repair plants or undergoing upgrades and those in storage...then you have 300 or more.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian Air Force numbers and procurement plans

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:50 pm


      Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:50 pm