Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Share

    Dima
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1035
    Points : 1050
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  Dima on Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:34 pm

    Militarov wrote:

    SAA soldier with toys behind him
    Any numbers that we have on the T-90s?
    Btw, these tanks are still not "grilled" for urban areas and it was being noted on gurkhan's blog as well. Hope SAA and Russian advisers are taking the combat situation into account and doing the needful.

    The earlier T-90MS report probably confused T-90s with the MS version?
    If the Russian have supplied the T-90MS, then good, it will help to gain real time combat feedback.

    But my personal favorite (wishlist Very Happy ) was to have the T-55MV6 (its will cost) meant for urban combat with a new turret employing a 57 or 76mm cannon and single piece ammo.

    Dima
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1035
    Points : 1050
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  Dima on Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:35 pm

    Max Italy wrote:

    S300 in SAA hands? welcome
    Forgot what was the location?

    Vann7
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3228
    Points : 3352
    Join date : 2012-05-16

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  Vann7 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:56 pm



    I said before that it will be a matter of time of False flags done by NATO and or its coalition..
    to blame Russia or Assad.. here is one report of a false flag in progress by US coalition with help of QATAR.

    http://www.voltairenet.org/article189607.html

    Basically the buy of Russian weapons from Ukraine and later use it in civilians to frame Russia.
    This bombs can be used in Syria but also in Ukraine against civilians.. to demonize Russia.

    Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5390
    Points : 5639
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  Werewolf on Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:00 pm

    I already said if russia allows french or anyone in Syrian airspace they would sooner or later try to kill SAA like they did before and imbeciles were outraged that someone could even believe that we know who that guy is, we saw it did happen western terror nations and their ME slaves and vassals have targeted Syrian Arab Army.

    d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 736
    Points : 896
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    reply

    Post  d_taddei2 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:26 pm

    Dima wrote:
    ult wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    SAA soldier with toys behind him

    If they'd have SAA crews, I'm worried that they would just leave them behind when they'll get attacked by 5-10 slippers-wearing terrorists with AK. Or will park them in the open field and go smoke some hooka...
    Your worries are unfounded... the living fact of that is, we are still discussing the counter-terrorists operations carried out by SAA, and now, with Russian backing.

    SAA has shown itself to be a very professional force which doesn't mean nothing can go wrong. Its a war, a high intensity counter-terrorists ops, and there are n number of things that can possibly go wrong. The tankmen have been holding their ground like any other pros out there, supporting their infantry in breaking through and in the process had to sacrifice many men. Even after having so many shortcomings, I personally have more respect for these Syrian men in uniform, considering the lonely bloody path they covered for nearly half a decade! Even the mightiest of the European army would have collapsed if they were fighting under the same circumstances.

    The urban combat employing MBTs that we saw/see in this Syrian conflict only compares with conflict in Chechnya, nothing else even comes close.
    All we can do is wish them GOOD LUCK and safe outing.

    i back you up, the tanks need rocket screens.cages attached, i also think TOS-1A and some T-72 converted to BMPT "terminator" needs to be supplied for urban environment, i have already seen SAA using rocket screens on BMP-1 and T-72 and this simple addition can make a big difference.

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3673
    Points : 3785
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  PapaDragon on Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:58 pm

    Vann7 wrote:

    I said before that it will be a matter of time of False flags done by NATO and or its coalition..
    to blame Russia or Assad..  here is one report of a false flag in progress by US coalition with help of QATAR.

    http://www.voltairenet.org/article189607.html

    Basically the buy of Russian weapons from Ukraine and later use it in civilians to frame Russia.
    This bombs can be used in Syria but also in Ukraine against civilians.. to demonize Russia.

    That weak BS will never work.

    OminousSpudd
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 805
    Points : 824
    Join date : 2015-01-03
    Age : 21
    Location : Nelson, New Zealand

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  OminousSpudd on Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:03 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    OminousSpudd wrote:Just how quickly could Russia seal of Syrian borders with a taskforce of its own? Time would be critical, as I imagine the Empire across the way would go full-loco 100% proxy war and pour as many weapons as possible through Sultan-stan and Saudi land, as well as Golan Heights and Jordan, PR be damned. Are we talking a month-two months with a sizable taskforce? Or longer? The larger the fielded force obviously the longer it takes to deploy. Borders locked = no Afghan 2.0 and given the geography as has been mentioned a couple of times already, it's far more achievable.

    Russian ground ops in Syria = Total and complete victory for USA.

    In current climate it could possibly lead to the end of Russia as a country. That place improved but is still very flimsy.

    Why would Russia do one thing that USA wants Russia to do?

    I am against a ground deployment as well, but I think you're giving the US too much credit, I mean there's no Muhjis hiding in Pakistani caves and mountains this time, and during Afghan the US was openly backing the opposition (allowing an actual observable flow of weaponry), they can't do that here...

    Anyway getting back to the point, given a hypothetical ground deployment of a Russian task force what sort of time frame would we be looking at until we had Syrian border integrity restored? Because that would be the priority, cut IS supply lines and they will asphyxiate. US can't exactly supply them from the air... I'm only hypothisising here. I consider the chances of a full-blown Russian deployment as completely moot, but for interests sake does anyone have a guesstimate on how quickly they could tie this up border-wise?

    Cyberspec
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1946
    Points : 2117
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  Cyberspec on Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:26 pm

    Barring some extraordinary geopolitical event, an Afghanistan size deployment in Syria is out of the question IMO, but I wouldn't exclude a limited deployment of 1-2 brigades with support elements....depends on how things develop on the ground

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3673
    Points : 3785
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  PapaDragon on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:47 am


    RE: Russian ground deployment, purpose of Russian mlitary is not to do the job of Syrian border police.

    USA can supply ISIS from more than just one direction. They control entire Iraq and there is always Lebanon and Israel even if you somehow make Turkish border airtight.

    They only need to kill one Russian soldier per day. Two months later watch chaos unfold at home...

    Ivan the Colorado
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 794
    Points : 828
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Age : 20
    Location : Colorado, USA

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  Ivan the Colorado on Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:18 am

    PapaDragon wrote:
    RE: Russian ground deployment, purpose of Russian mlitary is not to do the job of Syrian border police.

    USA can supply ISIS from more than just one direction. They control entire Iraq and there is always Lebanon and Israel even if you somehow make Turkish border airtight.

    They only need to kill one Russian soldier per day. Two months later watch chaos unfold at home...
    I'm against a regular ground deployment too, but it seems to be happening in limited numbers. Not to do the SAA's job for them but rarher to make sure they keep on winning.

    Spetsnaz operatives have been there for years now and they have probably increased their presence ever since the VKS started flying overhead. Good chance that Spetsnaz operatives are the ones marking up targets for the VKS behind enemy lines along with Syrian Special Forces.

    Regular units have been spotted outside Latakia and Tartus acting as advisers and whatnot too. I am willing to bet that T-90 we saw in Aleppo a few weeks back was manned by a Russian crew. There was also that story two or three weeks ago where a few Russian soldiers (Marines if I remember correctly) went in "very professionally," captured and removed kebab from a strategically important hill with no casualties. There was in fact a hill that did get captured by pro-government forces right before that story became known so that story could very well hold merit. Not to mention there was that map followed by reports of a Russian Artillery division using MSTAs to provide fire support for the SAA.

    I'm personally not a fan of having troops risking their lives for a war that isn't ours. We are in Syria on the gesture of goodwill to Assad and the people of Syria. With all that said, it is understandable that in order to ensure a quicker victory there must be some presence on the ground. Russian military today is almost in no way similar to the Soviet Army that fought in Afghanistan or even the Russian Army in Chechnya. Russia's leadership isn't throwing away the lives of their soldiers anymore. As long as the troops come home alive and well, let them do their thing.

    Vann7
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3228
    Points : 3352
    Join date : 2012-05-16

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  Vann7 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:24 am

    Interesting video by Paul Craig Roberts , that if true his sources information ..
    then means Russia have some tricks under the sleeve in terms of technology in Syria..
    that do not use frequently but that when they do it.. annoy a lot US and its coalition.



    What is interesting is that they "don't know" what it is?.. but it shut down satellites/radio communications.   . it looks like Russia have some tricks to harass their NATO partners in Syria and deny any kind of communications between any technology ,including satellites whenever they flip a switch somewhere. MAybe is just the Same counter electronics hardware they deployed more than a month ago.and Paul is not aware of it.

    Akula971
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 125
    Points : 140
    Join date : 2015-04-25
    Location : Mordor

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  Akula971 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:16 am

    Russian boots on the ground dont make sense. They provide intelligence, CAS and indirect. Air cover as well. For Syria to truly liberate itself from this ISIS mess - SYRIA needs to stand up, as a nation and army. And I personally believe that is going on.

    Regarding EWS deployed in Syria - I am beginning to think the Donald Cook - Su 24M story was true after all.

    And yes, this is going to turn into a proxy war real soon - An Iraqi MP said that US has planned the deployment of 10K US troops and 90K Arab troops to Iraq. This comes AFTER Turkey took over an AFB in Iraq.

    Any intel on where the Su 25 conducted CAS ??

    OminousSpudd
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 805
    Points : 824
    Join date : 2015-01-03
    Age : 21
    Location : Nelson, New Zealand

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  OminousSpudd on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:26 am

    Heh, I think most of you missed my point. I wasn't saying there will be a deployment of any sizable ground contingent, it certainly is not necessary at this time, probably never will be as the goals Russia set out to achieve, are being achieved. I was simply wanting a guesstimate ETA on how quickly a Russian contingent could mop up the bearded yahoos.

    Cyberspec
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1946
    Points : 2117
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  Cyberspec on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:49 am

    OminousSpudd wrote:Heh, I think most of you missed my point. I wasn't saying there will be a deployment of any sizable ground contingent, it certainly is not necessary at this time, probably never will be as the goals Russia set out to achieve, are being achieved. I was simply wanting a guesstimate ETA on how quickly a Russian contingent could mop up the bearded yahoos.

    A sizeable force could take over all major urban centres that they control fairly quickly but would likely still face a guerilla resistance

    Akula971
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 125
    Points : 140
    Join date : 2015-04-25
    Location : Mordor

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  Akula971 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:24 am

    OminousSpudd wrote:Heh, I think most of you missed my point. I wasn't saying there will be a deployment of any sizable ground contingent, it certainly is not necessary at this time, probably never will be as the goals Russia set out to achieve, are being achieved. I was simply wanting a guesstimate ETA on how quickly a Russian contingent could mop up the bearded yahoos.

    Depends on the ROE and if they care for civilian life. They wont fight like Syrians - they'll do it like the second Chechen war - remember the Assault on Grozny ? Yes - like that - but faster.

    KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1205
    Points : 1223
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  KiloGolf on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:15 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:RE: Russian ground deployment, purpose of Russian mlitary is not to do the job of Syrian border police.

    The same thing they do in the Armenian and Tajikistan borders.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did actually.

    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3565
    Points : 3600
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:22 pm

    KiloGolf wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:RE: Russian ground deployment, purpose of Russian mlitary is not to do the job of Syrian border police.

    The same thing they do in the Armenian and Tajikistan borders.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did actually.

    The purpose of Russian military will not be to perform SBP's, it will be to actually fight a war.

    While I do not have an appetite for it, and especially after seeing the SAR marine get killed. There needs to be a solution to some glaring issues in front line defense. Also there can be a lot of things to learn from this, especially in countering ATGM's without complex measures on AFV's.

    Man portable radars can do a lot of good job. And those the Syrian army has used in very scarce occasions.

    Solncepek
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Posts : 277
    Points : 280
    Join date : 2015-08-27
    Location : USSR

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  Solncepek on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:31 pm

    BREAKING: Russia MoD says a Russian ship had to shoot warning shots at a Turkish ship in the Aegean sea to avoid collision

    EDIT:A Russian warship has opened fire on a Turkey warship 22 klm off the Greece island of Lemnos according to Russia ministry.

    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3565
    Points : 3600
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:42 pm

    Solncepek wrote:BREAKING: Russia MoD says a Russian ship had to shoot warning shots at a Turkish ship in the Aegean sea to avoid collision

    EDIT:A Russian warship has opened fire on a Turkey warship 22 klm off the Greece island of Lemnos according to Russia ministry.

    They fired AShM warning shots I hope.

    AlfaT8
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1149
    Points : 1162
    Join date : 2013-02-02

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  AlfaT8 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:46 pm

    Russian Frigate Uses Firearms to Prevent Collision With Turkish Vessel

    The crew of the Russian "Smetlivy" destroyer was forced to use firearms on Sunday to prevent a collision with a Turkish seiner vessel in the northern part of the Aegean Sea, according to Russia's Ministry of Defense.

    "On the 13 December 2015 the crew of the Russian patrol ship "Smetlivy" prevented a collision with a Turkish seiner vessel 22 kilometers from the Greek island of Limnos in the northern part of the Aegean Sea," Russia's Defense Ministry statement reads.

    http://sputniknews.com/military/20151213/1031680448/russian-frigate-collision-turkey.html

    KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1205
    Points : 1223
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  KiloGolf on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:49 pm

    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:RE: Russian ground deployment, purpose of Russian mlitary is not to do the job of Syrian border police.

    The same thing they do in the Armenian and Tajikistan borders.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did actually.

    The purpose of Russian military will not be to perform SBP's, it will be to actually fight a war.

    The Tajik-Afghan border (and the country itself till 97) was more like a war (or continuation of the Afghan crisis) after Najibullah fell and up to 2001.
    But I know what you mean, I was insinuating a limited deployment after SAA and co. cleans it up first. To avoid Kesab situations like last year.

    KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1205
    Points : 1223
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  KiloGolf on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:53 pm

    AlfaT8 wrote:Russian Frigate Uses Firearms to Prevent Collision With Turkish Vessel

    The crew of the Russian "Smetlivy" destroyer was forced to use firearms on Sunday to prevent a collision with a Turkish seiner vessel in the northern part of the Aegean Sea, according to Russia's Ministry of Defense.

    "On the 13 December 2015 the crew of the Russian patrol ship "Smetlivy" prevented a collision with a Turkish seiner vessel 22 kilometers from the Greek island of Limnos in the northern part of the Aegean Sea,"  Russia's Defense Ministry statement reads.

    http://sputniknews.com/military/20151213/1031680448/russian-frigate-collision-turkey.html

    They didn't respond to radio and flares and came within 600 m of the Russian vessel.
    Yeah what did they expect? dunno

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3673
    Points : 3785
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  PapaDragon on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:55 pm

    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:RE: Russian ground deployment, purpose of Russian mlitary is not to do the job of Syrian border police.

    The same thing they do in the Armenian and Tajikistan borders.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did actually.

    The purpose of Russian military will not be to perform SBP's, it will be to actually fight a war.

    While I do not have an appetite for it, and especially after seeing the SAR marine get killed. There needs to be a solution to some glaring issues in front line defense. Also there can be a lot of things to learn from this, especially in countering ATGM's without complex measures on AFV's.

    Man portable radars can do a lot of good job. And those the Syrian army has used in very scarce occasions.

    Solution is called carpet bombing & SAA doing their job for a change.

    Excuses for SAA are gone, Russia now provides air support, weapons, ammo, supplies an diplomatic cover. Now Syrians need to get their asses into gear.

    And those Tu-22s can be flown once a week instead of once a month. Plenty of old Soviet bomb stocks still left to clear out.

    If Russian grunts are to be sent anywhere it should be Novorossia. Otherwise they need to keep their butts back home and practice for the real thing. VKS and Navy got this.

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3673
    Points : 3785
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  PapaDragon on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:59 pm

    KiloGolf wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:Russian Frigate Uses Firearms to Prevent Collision With Turkish Vessel

    The crew of the Russian "Smetlivy" destroyer was forced to use firearms on Sunday to prevent a collision with a Turkish seiner vessel in the northern part of the Aegean Sea, according to Russia's Ministry of Defense.

    "On the 13 December 2015 the crew of the Russian patrol ship "Smetlivy" prevented a collision with a Turkish seiner vessel 22 kilometers from the Greek island of Limnos in the northern part of the Aegean Sea,"  Russia's Defense Ministry statement reads.

    http://sputniknews.com/military/20151213/1031680448/russian-frigate-collision-turkey.html

    They didn't respond to radio and flares and came within 600 m of the Russian vessel.
    Yeah what did they expect? dunno

    Turks must be making another play for the virgins...

    Captain of the USS Kebab was probably called Mustafa. lol1

    KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1205
    Points : 1223
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  KiloGolf on Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:09 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:Russian Frigate Uses Firearms to Prevent Collision With Turkish Vessel

    The crew of the Russian "Smetlivy" destroyer was forced to use firearms on Sunday to prevent a collision with a Turkish seiner vessel in the northern part of the Aegean Sea, according to Russia's Ministry of Defense.

    "On the 13 December 2015 the crew of the Russian patrol ship "Smetlivy" prevented a collision with a Turkish seiner vessel 22 kilometers from the Greek island of Limnos in the northern part of the Aegean Sea,"  Russia's Defense Ministry statement reads.

    http://sputniknews.com/military/20151213/1031680448/russian-frigate-collision-turkey.html

    They didn't respond to radio and flares and came within 600 m of the Russian vessel.
    Yeah what did they expect? dunno

    Turks must be making another play for the virgins...

    Captain of the USS Kebab was probably called Mustafa. lol1

    And he's keeping company to the captain of TuN Yildiray submarine which our Marines had to shoot it up with Strim AT rockets and MGs for coming within 1,5 km from Farmakonisi island shores. lol1

    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #7

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:05 pm


      Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:05 pm