Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

A–235 Nudol ASAT/ABM system

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

A–235 Nudol ASAT/ABM system - Page 5 Empty Re: A–235 Nudol ASAT/ABM system

Post  PapaDragon on Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:59 pm

George1 wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    After this video we can say that Nudol (ASAT) and A-235 (ABM) are completely separate products

We should split this topic

i am confused on this. From discussions in this topic i haven't a clear conclusion. Some say that these systems are connected some other that are seperate

Missiles are clearly different

Speed and trajectory differ and that's without going into significant difference in sound
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible on Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:08 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    George1 wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    After this video we can say that Nudol (ASAT) and A-235 (ABM) are completely separate products

We should split this topic

i am confused on this. From discussions in this topic i haven't a clear conclusion. Some say that these systems are connected some other that are seperate

Missiles are clearly different

Speed and trajectory differ and that's without going into significant difference in sound

Yes, I think the last missile was for the A-135 and was significantly faster. This one is a bit slower and yes, flew at an angle afterwards.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:46 am

The S-300V family of missiles use different missiles too, and the S-400 system has at least 4 missiles too.

The SA-12 system has two distinctly different missiles, both on tracked TELs, with one having two very large launch tubes and another with four smaller launch tubes in a single row of four missiles.

The different missiles have different performances and are optimised for different targets and situations.

One of the reasons ABM systems were so limited and effectively banned was because they could also be used to shoot down satellites as the speed performance is very very similar.

A missile able to hit an incoming ICBM or SLBM could easily be modified or might already be able to hit satellites in orbit too.

With older Soviet and Russian SAMs that could hit shorter range BMs like Scud etc the issue was not apparent because for example Favourite being able to hit 4.8km/s targets... no in orbit satellite moves that slow, as well as the fact that the missile can only operate within the atmosphere.

New systems that operate outside the atmosphere that can hit targets moving much much faster and obviously there becomes little difference between hitting something coming down on a ballistic trajectory and something in orbit, which is also a predicable trajectory if you can reach it.

Yes, I think the last missile was for the A-135 and was significantly faster. This one is a bit slower and yes, flew at an angle afterwards.

Depending upon the payload the flight speed is not actually that critical to determine what the target is... in fact if the target is in geostationary orbit you are going to need a lot of fuel to get the payload up there so it will be much slower than a missile going after a target in much lower orbit.

Most of these weapons could be ABM as well as ASAT... just the same as their late model large SAMs are all ABM as well as SAM and anti cruise missile weapons too.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:30 am

@PapaDragon

i have concluded these for why Nudol/A-235 referred as the same in some sources

1. PL-19 Nudol missile may be fired by A-235 launcher
    2. "Nudol" may be the name for both the ASAT missile and the "project" name of A-235

i personally think that i should split the topic because in one way or another we speak for a different missile, so A-235 with the 3 anti-ballistic missiles should be different topic from the dedicated ASAT nudol

i wait for confirmation of my actions

@GarryB
    @Vladimir79
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:33 am

AFAIK Nudol is an ABM missile first and foremost... it might have ASAT capabilities, but it is primarily an ABM system... just like S-500 which is also primarily an ABM missile... in fact both are anti ICBM and anti SLBM missiles.

The difference is that Nudol is a bigger longer ranged weapon than the S-500 and therefore could also be used rather more effectively against Satellites too.

ASAT and ABM are not different roles... unless you want to separate the Pantsir thread into Pantsir vs aircraft, and Panstir vs drones, Pantsir vs incoming munitions, and Pantsir vs ground targets... you are going to end up with a lot of threads about essentially the same system.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:16 am

GarryB wrote:AFAIK Nudol is an ABM missile first and foremost... it might have ASAT capabilities, but it is primarily an ABM system... just like S-500 which is also primarily an ABM missile... in fact both are anti ICBM and anti SLBM missiles.

The difference is that Nudol is a bigger longer ranged weapon than the S-500 and therefore could also be used rather more effectively against Satellites too.

ASAT and ABM are not different roles... unless you want to separate the Pantsir thread into Pantsir vs aircraft, and Panstir vs drones, Pantsir vs incoming munitions, and Pantsir vs ground targets... you are going to end up with a lot of threads about essentially the same system.

so A-135 ABM system has also ASAT capability?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:20 pm