Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #6

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #6

Post  PapaDragon on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:49 pm

Twelve Tu-22s??? I think someone would notice by now... No

...The U.S. officials said it was likely the Russians mistakenly hit the Syrian government camp. The U.S. military has been widely critical of Russia's often indiscriminate strikes, saying Moscow routinely uses so-called "dumb bombs" rather than the precision-guided munitions used by the coalition.........

And they also don't complain about "lack of ordinance" due to wasting guided bombs on Toyotas...

ult
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  ult on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:17 pm

Project 636.3 Rostov-on-Don launched Kalibr missiles at targets in Raqqa.

http://tass.ru/politika/2509573

Also Shoigu delivered the Su-24 black box to Putin. Putin said it should be opened in front of the international experts.

https://russian.rt.com/article/135463

And another video from Hmeymim.

JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  JohninMK on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:34 pm

Top article from Mike Whitney last week, well worth the read. This is an excerpt

But, of course, an apology doesn’t change the fact that a man is dead. And not only a man, but a Russian soldier. That means something. That puts the onus on Putin to seek justice for a hero who died while fighting for his country. Americans don’t understand this because America is always at war. In fact, American history is one long 240-year carnage-generating bloodbath from Bunker Hill to Baghdad, from Wounded Knee to Haditha. As a result, America has to conceal its casualties from public view to the extent that even photographing the flag-draped coffins delivered to Dover Airbase has been banned. That’s how Sparta prevents the people from seeing the enormous costs of its so called interventions.

Russia is different. Russians don’t like war, and war is not a permanent feature in Russian life. So when a pilot is killed in action, the entire country grieves which is exactly what happened when the remains of Lieutenant Colonel Oleg Peshkov were returned from Syria to Moscow. It was a day of national mourning.

Now the ball is in Putin’s court. Now it is incumbent on him, as a responsible and moral leader, to seek justice for Peshkov, which means that, first of all, he must persuade Erdogan must acknowledge his mistake and apologize. Secondly, there has to be some tangible effort to make amends. It’s Putin’s responsibility to demand accountability, not revenge. And that’s what he’s doing. Putin has already stated in blunt terms that he is NOT going to let this thing slide. There will be payback, that much is certain.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/12/04/putin-must-seek-justice-for-peshkov/

JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  JohninMK on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:36 pm

ult wrote:Project 636.3 Rostov-on-Don launched Kalibr missiles at targets in Raqqa.

http://tass.ru/politika/2509573

In English http://tass.ru/en/defense/842471

JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  JohninMK on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:38 pm

Makes me smile when one of my forecasts comes true

MOSCOW, December 8. /TASS/. The guided missile cruiser The Vargyag, currently taking part in the joint Russian-Indian naval exercise Indra, will be dispatched to Syria, a source in the Russian contingent taking part in the exercise has told TASS in an interview.

"The guided missile cruiser The Varyag will leave India for Syria, where it will replace the guided missile cruiser The Moskva (project 1164 Atlant), he said, adding that The Varyag’s mission in the area would presumably last till September.

The naval exercise Indra began on December 7. It is scheduled to last till December 12. At the moment the preparatory phase of the exercise is nearing completion. The active phase in the Bay of Bengal is due on December 10-12. Anti-submarine operations will be practiced. Also, the crews will polish skills of freeing a ship seized by hypothetical terrorists. Helicopters will deliver assault groups on board.

ult
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  ult on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:47 pm

http://tvzvezda.ru/news/vstrane_i_mire/content/201512082221-fk4m.htm

Last edited by ult on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:48 pm

"Black box" from SU24M video.

ult
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  ult on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:50 pm

ult
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  ult on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:00 pm

Better quality. 4 Kalibrs launched by Rostov-on-Don.

ult
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  ult on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Last edited by ult on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:05 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a Russian strike actually.

Suppose it's 'good' news; at least we wouldn't know for sure that it was a mistake and not someone's idea of a litmus test for some further provocation.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:14 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CVuqm2JWoAATv3K.mp4

Enjoy Smile

Cyberspec
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Cyberspec on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:17 pm

WoW -- mass air-attack

ult wrote:http://tvzvezda.ru/news/vstrane_i_mire/content/201512082221-fk4m.htm

A longer version of the same video

Ivan the Colorado
    Captain
    Captain

Post  Ivan the Colorado on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:25 pm

JohninMK wrote:Makes me smile when one of my forecasts comes true

MOSCOW, December 8. /TASS/. The guided missile cruiser The Vargyag, currently taking part in the joint Russian-Indian naval exercise Indra, will be dispatched to Syria, a source in the Russian contingent taking part in the exercise has told TASS in an interview.

"The guided missile cruiser The Varyag will leave India for Syria, where it will replace the guided missile cruiser The Moskva (project 1164 Atlant), he said, adding that The Varyag’s mission in the area would presumably last till September.

The naval exercise Indra began on December 7. It is scheduled to last till December 12. At the moment the preparatory phase of the exercise is nearing completion. The active phase in the Bay of Bengal is due on December 10-12. Anti-submarine operations will be practiced. Also, the crews will polish skills of freeing a ship seized by hypothetical terrorists. Helicopters will deliver assault groups on board.
    Seems like the MoD is giving everyone a chance to show off what they are actually capable of. Looking forward to the almost inevitable video clip of the Varyag in action. If I could choose what is next, I personally would love to see what an Iskander missile can really do to an FSA/IS target.

ult
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  ult on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:25 pm

I literally posted those videos 2 posts ago...

Zivo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Zivo on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:26 pm

ult wrote:

I found the location of the strike at 2:15.

Admittedly, I looked for it because I though it could possibly be the location of the US airstrike on the SAA north of DEZ due to the proximity to the river. Fortunately it was in Raqqa.

Here to be exact, ~500ft from a mosque: http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=35.921621&lon=38.978055&z=16&m=b

Cyberspec
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Cyberspec on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:31 pm

ult wrote:I literally posted those videos 2 posts ago...

Sorry I missed them

Zivo wrote:

Admittedly, I looked for it because I though it could possibly be the location of the US airstrike on the SAA north of DEZ due to the proximity to the river. Fortunately it was in Raqqa.

Here to be exact, ~500ft from a mosque: http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=35.921621&lon=38.978055&z=16&m=b

Good work...seems like the right place

JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  JohninMK on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:48 pm

Cyberspec wrote:
    ult wrote:I literally posted those videos 2 posts ago...

Sorry I missed them

Zivo wrote:

Good work...seems like the right place
    A couple of times those sticks of bombs seem to land just a few yards off from where one might have expected them to from the layout of the buildings etc. Kind of what might be expected with dumb bombs designed for area bombing, even with computerised aiming.

Vann7
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Vann7 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:48 pm

flamming_python wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a Russian strike actually.

Suppose it's 'good' news; at least we wouldn't know for sure that it was a mistake and not someone's idea of a litmus test for some further provocation.

From you nothing will surprise me.. you are very quick to blame Russian government
    for anything before accepting any claim the west lies about anything that happens in conflicts they create . I still remember how you blamed Russia for the mH17 plane in ukraine. As if Russia did not have ways to know the difference between a civilian airliner and a combat plane. Rolling Eyes Now the west claims Russia cannot know the difference between Raqqa and a military base
    of the Syrian army. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Vann7 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:00 pm; edited 4 times in total

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:49 pm

flamming_python wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a Russian strike actually.

It could, basically because, the few images of that area show flat splash and a lot of fragmentation. However, if really they were scorched by a Tu22M3 and they got a whole rack in their face, the damage would hae been devastating, not 3 dead and 13 wounded. The crane however was directly hit...so. A very weird sequence of events.

Also no fragments from the missiles, ordnance, is even more puzzling.

Ivan the Colorado
    Captain
    Captain

Post  Ivan the Colorado on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:03 pm

Vann7 wrote:

From you nothing will surprise me.. you are very quick to blame Russian government
    for anything than to claim the west lies about anything that happens in conflicts they create . I still remember how you blamed Russia for the mH17 plane in ukraine. As if Russia did not have ways to know the difference between a civilian airliner and a combat plane. Rolling Eyes
    Calm down Vann. You are not being fair and you know it. If you think that Russia is a untouchable beacon of truth, you have a lot to learn too.

Last edited by Ivan the Colorado on Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:46 pm

russia

Russia Crushes More Than 600 Terrorist Targets in 3 Days - Defense Ministry

As part of Moscow's anti-terror campaign, Russian warplanes have carried out 300 sorties against targets in Syria over the last three days.

http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20151208/1031439645/russia-syria-300-sorties.html

"We carried out more than 300 combat missions in Syria in the past three days, hitting over 600 various targets," Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu told Putin.

One video released by the Defense Department shows the massive airstrikes carried out by Long-range bombers.

​Shoigu also said that the air force is strictly implementing Supreme Command's order to carry out combat missions in Syria alongside fighter jets, according to RIA Novosti.

The missions were carried out by Tu-22 long-range bombers and strike aircraft from the Russia air group.

The Russian military has also, for the first time, launched cruise missiles against terrorist targets in Syria from a submarine in the Mediterranean.

"We launched Kalibr cruise missiles from the Rostov-on-Don submarine in the Mediterranean Sea," Shoigu said, adding that the missiles were launched from a submerged position.

​The Defense Minister also added that both Israel and the United States were informed about Russia's missile strikes in advance.

"I can confirm for you that we did get the notification of the airstrikes that were conducted by the Russians," US Defense Department Press Secretary Peter Cook confirmed, speaking to reporters on Tuesday.

Moscow has conducted airstrikes against Daesh in Syria since September 30, acting at the request of the legitimate government of Bashar al-Assad. Russian warships stationed in the Caspian Sea have also launched successful cruise missile strikes against the terrorist group.

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:48 pm

Russian Forces Launch 2,000 Bombs Against Terrorists in Syria

Russian Aerospace Forces have launched some 2,000 aerial bombs in Syria, destroying numerous extremist infrastructure targets over four days, the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement.

http://sputniknews.com/russia/20151209/1031445116/Russia-strikes-Syria.html

According to the statement, 1,920 bombs were launched against the militants.

"Seventy command centers, 21 training camps, six munitions and explosives plants, 43 munitions depots and six oil objects were destroyed," the ministry said.

Intensified airstrikes from Russian forces have allowed the Syrian army to develop its offensive in key regions, the statement added.

"As a result, the strikes have created the conditions for further offensive action of the Syrian army in cooperation with other armed forces in the areas of Aleppo, Idlib, mountainous Latakia and Palmyra."

DETAILS TO FOLLOW.

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:52 pm

Cyberspec wrote:..............................

A longer version of the same video

Those subs were selling like hotcakes before....after this they will be selling like crack-cocaine. thumbsup russia

Kilo-class indeed...lol1

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:02 am

Ivan the Colorado wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:Makes me smile when one of my forecasts comes true

Seems like the MoD is giving everyone a chance to show off what they are actually capable of. Looking forward to the almost inevitable video clip of the Varyag in action. If I could choose what is next, I personally would love to see what an Iskander missile can really do to an FSA/IS target.

Just a reminder: Serpuhov and Zeleni Dol are to be commissioned on Saturday DEC.12. Both Buyan-M class...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:54 pm

Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:54 pm