Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Movie Recommendation Thread

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Something that must be shared - Scene from "My Dinner with Andre"

Post  sepheronx on Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:38 am

I figured that since I never actually watched this movie even when given the chance, now I regret that I didn't.  Now, most would consider Andre's words nothing more than just banter, but this isn't some random tinfoil hat, thought provoking idea.  This is something that has been brought forward for years....decades.  Maybe even longer.  But more or less, what was said in this film from the 80's is something that we live with now.  Maybe it is because we have been following this path that many have already seen what the outcome is, years before, and only just stating what the obvious is, will be and always be.

This was posted as a comment on zerohedge from here:
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-08-20/america-9-words

y3maxx

Scene from 1981 film "My Dinner with Andre"...fortells the current state of the world....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om8oNnETbNo

Big shout out to Gregory Julian Klymkiw, Canada's renown and curmudgeon of feature length film reviews for posting this clip on his blog...

http://klymkiwfilmcorner.blogspot.ca/

But the further I read on in the comment section, someone posted something that was so obvious through history, and yet most forget:

Felix da Kat

“ The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been two hundred years.
    These nations have progressed through this sequence:
    1. From bondage to spiritual faith;
    2. from spiritual faith to great courage;
    3. from courage to liberty;
    4. from liberty to abundance;
    5. from abundance to selfishness;
    6. from selfishness to complacency;
    7. from complaceny to apathy;
    8. from apathy to dependence;
    9. from dependency back again into bondage.”

And unfortunately there is nothing on the horizon to suggest that anything is different with the United States. And all that Manifest Destiny stuff... sorry to say, that's over, if indeed it ever was that.

But this isn't just United States. This is our world. This is nearly every civilization that currently stands.

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Movie Recommendation Thread

Post  Werewolf on Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:09 pm

Cultural setback based on the natural peak and reach of decadency. the problem is at some point societies progress to a point where they do not try or right out try to prevent a philosophical nature to societies, trying to prevent progression based on buisness. Who wants a society that wantss progression for independance in economy when so many globalized markets rely on this dependancy with implemented wasteful mechanisms in the market like planned obsolescence of goods they create. We die out in the loophole of egoism, decadency and arrogance of our ignorance. A good thing that such societies have no future a philosophical selection of the unworthy.

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Movie Recommendation Thread

Post  Werewolf on Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:53 pm

So i thought why not start such a thread where people can recommend good movies also less known movies then the all reappearing block busters that everyone gets their faces shuffed in.

I watched just an hour ago The Man from Earth i would say the best movie with lowest budget which is an old form of telling stories by literally telling the story in a proactive way of a 14.000 year old man and his history to modern day. It starts slowly but gives quite a good impact and impression and highly interesting. I can only recommend that movie. The good thing about the movie is the way it is told that and not just shown like a flashback.

People should recommend some movies also from different countries there are many good movies from soviet times, i saw very good mongolian movie, korean movies, japanese and highly entertaining indian movies with overly manly men.

Recommend your movies.

Cowboy's daughter
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Cowboy's daughter on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:10 pm

I'm looking for a good movie about Stalingrad...in English or with subs...

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:33 am

Well the most famous would be "Enemy at the gates" which I liked because I could ignore all the western bullshit.

Things like lining up raw recruits and then sending them into the German Machine guns with either a rifle or a 5 round clip is pure Hollywood bullshit.

Forcing conscripts in cattle wagons to fight at the front line is amusing too... most had already lost loved ones and needed little motivation to fight... the germans gave them little alternative.

At one stage in Stalingrad the German forces threatened to overrun various Soviet positions and one unit was rushed across the river that had not been fully equipped and trained... from memory one in ten men did not have a rifle... meaning nine of ten men were properly armed as they went across the river. When they got over the river there was plenty of rifles and other weapons that belonged to men on both sides who could no longer use them. Defensive positions often had several weapons piled up at each firing point so soldiers could move from point to point in case the enemy tried to rush the position.

Weapon shortages were WWI.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Rodinazombie
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Rodinazombie on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:30 pm

CD, heres a good old one if you dont mind black and white, its a german one called 'dogs, do you want to live forever?' I believe it was filmed amongst the actual rubble still remaining after the war.

Very good old film, it has english subs but might have to click the link if it doesnt work here.

Cowboy's daughter
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Cowboy's daughter on Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:53 pm

Rodinazombie wrote:CD, heres a good old one if you dont mind black and white, its a german one called 'dogs, do you want to live forever?' I believe it was filmed amongst the actual rubble still remaining after the war.

Very good old film, it has english subs but might have to click the link if it doesnt work here.

Thank you both so much!

I don't mind black and white at all. I have some favorite old movies that are black and white!

Godric
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

The Bomber

Post  Godric on Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:48 pm

seen this film advertised on the net the film is from 2011 and about a Soviet bomber crew PE-2 maybe ?? wondering if anyone has seen it and if it is worth watching i've watched a few Russian films and enjoyed them ie Come see, 9th company, Brest Fortress spring to mind

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:48 am

Here one of the best movies russia has produced in recent past.

The movie's name is "We are from the future"

Very long movie 2:42h about 4 useless guys with one at least skinhead/nazi brainwashed backround and ideologies in the present are bewitched back to 1942 to find a son of an old granny they have laughed upon for asking them to burry his body if they find him. The movie is in russian obviously but it is really great movie, has a good message for the numbnut nazi ideology youths.

Worth watching.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:51 pm

Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:51 pm