Project 2038.0: Steregushchy Corvette

Post  Russian Patriot on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:38 pm

Project 2038.0 Steregushchy Corvette

Class Listing
    Unit Shipyard Fleet Chronology Notes  
    # number Name  Laid Down  Launched  Comm.  Stricken  
    1 530 Steregushchy SY 190  Dec 2001 16 May 2006  19 Nov 2007
    27 Feb 2008  2007 - undergoing testing
    2  Soobrazitelny SY 190  20 May 2003 13 Nov 2006 ? 2007  Commissioned  April 2010!
    3  Boykiy SY 190  27 Jul 2005  ? 2008   Floated out  April 15 2011
    4  Stoykiy SY 190  2006 ? 2009  
    5  Sovershenniy SY 340 Caspian 2006  2010  2 at Zelenodolsk for Caspian Flotilla
    6   SY 340 Caspian ? 2007    2 at Zelenodolsk for Caspian Flotilla
    7   SY 190  ? 2007    2007 - 2 launched + 5 building
    8   SY 190      at least 10 units planned
    9   SY 190      at least 10 units planned
    10   SY 190      at least 10 units planned
    11   SY 190      up to 20 additional units planned ?
    12   SY 190      up to 20 additional units planned ?
    13   SY 190      up to 20 additional units planned ?
    14   SY 190      up to 20 additional units planned ?
    15   SY 190      up to 20 additional units planned ?
    16   SY 190      up to 20 additional units planned ?
    17   SY 190      up to 20 additional units planned ?
    18   SY 190      up to 20 additional units planned ?
    19   SY 190      up to 20 additional units planned ?
    20   SY 190      up to 20 additional units planned ?

Discuss!

Last edited by Russian Patriot on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:19 pm; edited 3 times in total

Russian Patriot
    Colonel
    Colonel

Project 20382 :Tiger Corvette

Post  Russian Patriot on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:46 pm

From Global Sercurity.org:
    Project 20382 Tiger Corvette
    Project-20382 “Tiger” corvette is a ship for acting in the near sea zone against ships and submarines, for supporting landing troops, and against air targets. The corvette is equipped with Uran anti-ship missiles. Kashtan antiaircraft missile system, and Ka-27 helicopter. The “Tiger” corvette’s baseline is project-20380 Steregushchy [“Guarding”] corvette, which is now undergoing factory and state tests, and which is to enter Russian naval forces’ combat strength in late 2007. Experts estimate one export “Tiger” corvette at about $120-150 million. Primarily South-East Asian countries, as well as Venezuela and Qatar are interested in the corvette.

A wide range of products of the Russian defence industrial complex is represented at the international exhibition of naval machinery and weapons Euronaval'2004, which opened at Le Bourget near Paris on 24 October 2005. The Russian chief delegate made special note of the latest Project 20382 Tigr corvette, featuring Stealth technology.

After experiencing the Western military equipment embargo, Admiral Slamet Soebijanto turned to the East for possibilities. In September 2005, the Navy Chief of Staff and his team visited Russia to explore the purchase of warships from Rosoboronexport, Russia's armament industry. The navy's Strategic Plan for 2003-2013, created by Soebijanto's predecessor Bernard Kent Sondakh, included the purchase of four Sigma Class corvettes from Holland. The plan was already approved by the House of Representatives (DPR). The four ships were to be purchased in two stages-the first in 2003. The Dutch government provided export credit facilities. The first two ships were currently being constructed and were expected to be ready in 2007.

After the presentation of the project 20382 Tiger Corvette, an export variant of the project 20380 Steregushchiy (Guardian) Corvette, a number of participants of the International Naval Salon held in June 2007 in St. Petersburg, there was some customer interest in it. Rosoboronexport (Russian Defense Export State Corporation) was working actively in this direction and hoped to have some particular contracts by the summer of 2008.

On 29 June 2007, at the 3rd International Naval Exhibition in St. Petersburg, Rosoboronexport’s First Deputy Director General Vladimir Pakhomov and Indonesian Naval Forces Commander Admiral Slamet Subijanto signed a contract agreement on building project-20382 “Tiger” corvettes for Indonesia’s Navy. Later a firm contract would have to be signed, fixing the terms for the project’s implementation and the number of ships to be built.

The corvette hulls would be built in Spain according to Russia’s design. There they would be equipped with engines and navigation equipment. The corvettes would sail under their own power to Severnaya Verf, where communication equipment, radio-electric equipment, armaments and other systems would be installed.

It was Indonesia that required the corvette’s hull to be built in Spain. Rosoboronexport agreed to this plan in order to gain access to Indonesia’s naval market. Spain had been successfully working at Indonesia’s defense market for a long time. Thus it was said to be easier for Rosoboronexport to promote Russian ships to Indonesia thru Spain. Spain had not initially chosen the dockyard for building the corvettes.

Russia’s Ministry of Industry and Energy believed that such international cooperation could delay the contract’s signing and implementation. It would be necessary to obtain numerous licenses for supplying the corvettes’ design data to Spain, and this would require solving issues of intellectual property rights, commercial and state secret protection,. Russia already had a positive experience suppling India with of ing European and Israeli electronic systems installed on Russian Su-30MKI fighter jets, and Russian fire system “Smerch”, onto Czech Tatra trucks. However, these projects were difficult to implement due to the substantiall amount of coordination work required.

By mid-2007 Rosoboronexport State Corp., the Moscow-based state intermediary arms-trade agency, was briefing Algeria, Indonesia, the United Arab Emirates and Singapore on the new Project 20382 Tigr. At present, corvettes are employed by 30 nations while only 7 nations are capable of building them. Estimated market capacity as concerns such ships for 20 years to come is USD 9.5 billion.

Discuss!

Russian Patriot
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Project 2038.0: Steregushchy Corvette

Post  Russian Patriot on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:42 am

Pics:

RuStepan
    Private
    Private

Re: Project 2038.0 :Steregushchy Corvette

Post  RuStepan on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:51 am

All i know is that, this year the Russian government gives big emphasis to its navy. I heard from vesti news, that Russia will add every year, one corvette and one strategic submarine to the Black Sea Fleet. Other than that they will of course expand the Baltic and the Pacific Fleets.And this new corvettes, such as the
    Steregushchy Corvette are great and have the latest word of technology.

Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Post  Vladimir79 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:01 pm

RuStepan wrote:All i know is that, this year the Russian government gives big emphasis to its navy. I heard from vesti news, that Russia will add every year, one corvette and one strategic submarine to the Black Sea Fleet. Other than that they will of course expand the Baltic and the Pacific Fleets.And this new corvettes, such as the
    Steregushchy Corvette are great and have the latest word of technology.

My problem with the Navy procurement plan is this, corvettes and submarines are nice, but if you want to build 6 carriers as has been stated by MoD, then you have to build air defence destroyers to go with it. They say that we will see how Steregushchy goes as a tech demostrator and build higher classes of ships on that basic design. All the while we will be waiting for years, even decades to come out with an AEGIS type destroyer. You can't have a competitive high seas fleet without this class of ships. The cruisers we have now aren't going to be servicable for much longer.

Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Post  Vladimir79 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:05 pm

Russian Patriot wrote:Pics:

Wrong ship, that is the border guard version.

This is 2038.0

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:10 pm

Vladimir79 wrote:
    My problem with the Navy procurement plan is this, corvettes and submarines are nice, but if you want to build 6 carriers as has been stated by MoD, then you have to build air defence destroyers to go with it. They say that we will see how Steregushchy goes as a tech demostrator and build higher classes of ships on that basic design. All the while we will be waiting for years, even decades to come out with an AEGIS type destroyer. You can't have a competitive high seas fleet without this class of ships. The cruisers we have now aren't going to be servicable for much longer.

I cant remember where I read it but Russian Navy will start building new destroyers from 2012 witch is not that much tragedy if they dont take 5+ years to complete a ship.
    My problem with RuAN is they neglect surface fleet. I mean only one 2038 is complete up until now and no 22350. Thats bad.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:33 pm

Viktor wrote:
    Vladimir79 wrote:

I cant remember where I read it but Russian Navy will start building new destroyers from 2012 witch is not that much tragedy if they dont take 5+ years to complete a ship.
    My problem with RuAN is they neglect surface fleet. I mean only one 2038 is complete up until now and no 22350. Thats bad.

It is and it isn't.

Russia since the 90's depended on foreign purchases, and up to even now, have their manufacturing facilities strained with foreign orders (india, China, Venezuela, Vietnam, etc) and it makes it really hard to start producing more for their own defense. The other problem is that these foreign orders are being made out with the more modern and heavily modified infrastructure, while other ship yards are lacking in the modern infrastructure to deal with the heavy, bigger guys like the Cruisers, Destroyers, and aircraft carriers. But once the northern shipyard is complete and if they ever modernize the one in St. Petersburg, then Russia would be back in business.

I know, it sucks that it takes time. But is it truly Russia's fault when you have countries like Ukraine, Finland and Poland making ships for the USSR, decide to act hostile towards Russia after breaking up?

This, in the long run, is beneficial for Russia.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:23 pm

Yes there are many problems and I agree with problems you mentioned but when you finally find space to build a ship and than it takes forever to build it that is another thing. More to it I can not understand why are modernization of Nakimov taking that much, up until 2012. I mean that ship is not new so it must be put up in service much quicker to made up for numbers and capabilities until new destroyers are ready.

KRON1
    Private
    Private

Post  KRON1 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:22 am

Viktor wrote:Yes there are many problems and I agree with problems you mentioned but when you finally find space to build a ship and than it takes forever to build it that is another thing. More to it I can not understand why are modernization of Nakimov taking that much, up until 2012. I mean that ship is not new so it must be put up in service much quicker to made up for numbers and capabilities until new destroyers are ready.

Based on my research of the Nakhimov, the delays have been due strictly to budget shortfalls and priorty assessment. It is not due to a lack of ability, but financial resources and need.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:18 pm

Its logicat that funds are problem. But still having one more monster of that kind is mutch more needed than in 5 years when new destroyers start entering production line.

Russian Patriot
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Russian Patriot on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Viktor wrote:Its logicat that funds are problem. But still having one more monster of that kind is mutch more needed than in 5 years when new destroyers start entering production line.

Agreed , it all depends on the honesty of our Goverment officials now and Svermash

Russian Patriot
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Russian Patriot on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:48 am

Project 20380 Soobrazitelny launched!

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:58 am

There is also the three Kirov class vessels that they have not totally committed themselves to upgrading.
    They were originally designed to operate in carrier groups as taskforce leaders.
    Add any Slava class that were to be backup in case the Kirovs failed and fit them with new weapons and sensors and battle management systems (Sigma) and you have plenty of direct fire support for the carriers.
    What I am worried about are the support vessels and bases around the place to operate the carriers from.
    We are assuming Vietnam might allow the Russians to use Cam Ran bay and that the Cubans will allow them to operate from Cuban waters too, and I expect operational exercises will continue and expand with India too.
    Now add Venezuala to that potential list as well.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

20380 replacement

Post  Viktor on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:42 am

I tought 20380 is goot corvette for its displacement.
    Type of armament second corvette and all after it should have place it among best armed corvette around.

Russia to hold competition to choose new Navy corvette - paper

The Russian Defense Ministry will hold a competition in September to select a new corvette for the Navy to replace the Project 20380 class, a business daily said on Monday, citing sources in the shipbuilding industry.
    The competition should produce a mobile, fast-moving ship with a helicopter hangar and a distinct modular layout for weapons, Kommersant said.
    The Project 20380 corvette is deployed to destroy enemy surface ships, submarines and aircraft, and to provide naval gunfire support for beach landings. It uses stealth technology to reduce the ship's secondary radar signature, as well as its acoustic, infrared, magnetic and visual signatures.
    Five design centers are likely to take part in the competition, the paper said. Three belong to Russia's United Shipbuilding Coorperation: Zelenodolsk, Severnaya Verf and Almaz. A fourth unnamed foreign shipyard, which specializes in small civilian vessels, is a likely participant, the paper said.
    The first Project 20380 corvette, the Steregushchy, entered service with Russia's Baltic Fleet in October 2008. The second, the Soobrazitelny, was launched on March 31, and two other ships of the same series, the Boyky and the Stoyky, are under construction.
    The Russian Navy needs around 50 Project 20380 vessels to ensure the protection of its coastal waters, as well as its oil and gas transportation routes, especially in the Black and the Baltic seas.
    However, a shipbuilding industry source told Kommersant that the Project 20180 ship "does not meet modern requirements" and a new class is therefore required.
    If the competition in September is successful, the approved project "will determine the shape of surface shipbuilding for the next 15 years", the source told Kommersant.
    MOSCOW, August 23 (RIA Novosti)

http://en.rian.ru/business/20100823/160303044.html

Robert.V
    Private
    Private

Post  Robert.V on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:17 pm

It is but the West is going to introduce new corvettes in the next 7-9 years. While the project 20380 corvettes are more then a match for the current corvettes they won't be for long. The project 20380 stems all the way back to late 70's and really was just a stop gap and keeping the shipyards at work ..there is no real point in making 20 ships of p 20380 corvettes. By the time all the ships of the p 20380 corvettes are build they will be outdated.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:41 pm

Dont think so. I mean whats the point of introducing few pieces of some time like corvette.

Robert.V
    Private
    Private

Post  Robert.V on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:12 am

Not sure I got you right but the Russian Navy is in need of ships badly. P 20380 corvettes are just a stop gap as of now that's it ...they'll finish the last 2 or 3 that are in the shipyards right now and that's it, they ain't going to build 20 of them like they intended to.

They should have started to build P 20380 corvettes 10 years ago like they were supposed to have been but they didn't have the money for it. And building more then 5 of this class corvette's doesn't make any sense anymore becuase by the time all 20 ships are build they'll be outclassed or soon to be outclassed.

Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Post  Vladimir79 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:48 am

Having 20 or even 100 corvettes is not going to fix the Navy. We need blue water ships. First on the list is air-defence ships, second ASW, third aircraft carriers, fourth amphibious assualt, fifth mine sweepers. Corvettes come in dead last. It isn't going to make a bit of difference as long as we have naval aviation.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:34 am

Russia needs both corvettes and a blue water navy.
    It needs to be a global power and a blue water navy has proven to be the only way to achieve that.
    Of course it needs coastal protection as well and corvettes do that job cheaper and simpler than larger vessels designed to operate further afield.

It is a bit like aircraft, strategic transports and long range fighters are useful but more expensive. Short range fighters and light transports are also needed too and they can make up numbers and fill gaps where needed.

Regarding the new corvette there has been a drive for new technology to get into service and while the Project 20380 is much newer than what is actually in service there are several new things that could be added to it.
    For one there are a range of new vertical launch systems from SAMS of several types and cruise missiles for land attack and for anti ship use and also anti submarine use.
    Stealth could also be taken a step further in the design to make it even harder to spot before hopefully it sees its target.

It originally had a modular design so upgrading it should just be a case of upgrading each module and then examining the combinations to see what works and what needs to be added or discarded.

Robert.V
    Private
    Private

Post  Robert.V on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:57 am

Vlad you do realize their are sea and in the near ocean zone where land-based aviation cant work on-call. And the P 20380 corvette's are punching above their weight especially if equiped with KLUB and navilized TOR ..you can use them as carrier escorts and etc.

What russian Navy needs are modern multi role ships and fast. Becuase the Russian Navy is standing on it's last legs.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:57 pm

20380 can be added VLS and with 9M96/CLUB-S combo you have a very potent ship. I dont see even if Russian Navy want technology more advanced ships can not made 10-20 pieces of it and than move along?

Robert.V
    Private
    Private

Post  Robert.V on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:13 pm

20380 is a very capable ship (atleast on paper) especially with Klub and navalized TOR like I said above.

But like I said by the time they finished constructing all 20 they'll be not up for the task. The P 20380 corvette's are ten years late.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:07 am

The reality is that while commonality is a good thing almost every weapon system goes through upgrades during its production period.
    Look at the Kirov class, with each vessel having a slightly different weapon and sensor fit, and the Kiev class carriers where the last carrier made was so different from the first it was called Kiev Mod in the west.
    As new weapons and sensors become available it makes sense to fit them to in production vessels.
    This search for a new corvette can be seen as an attempt to reevaluate the design so that technologies that are scheduled to become available are compatible and to make sure anything learned from using the first few vessels can be applied to later units to further improve their performance and growth potential.

Robert.V
    Private
    Private

Post  Robert.V on Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:31 am

What's your opinion on the new Frigate class Garry ?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:20 pm

Current date/time is Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:20 pm