Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Share

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3659
    Points : 3771
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  PapaDragon on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:45 pm

    SeigSoloyvov wrote:................

    Perhaps budget reasons are hurting them here?.


    I dunno, it would take a lot bigger economic crisis for Russia to stop building SSBN's, they are core component of the Navy. Entire Naval doctrine is designed around them. They will be building something but will it be whole new thing (Husky SSBN variant) or evolution of Borei?



    Project Canada wrote:
    Maybe because of the short comings of the Bulava? Perhaps they figured its better to wait until a more stable /reliable replacement for the Bulava is developed before building new class of ssbn


    If that were the case they would not be laying down new one in December. Besides Bulava problems are being ironed out. And even if they weren't Borei can be modified to carry something else, it's just launch tubes that would need tweaking.

    SeigSoloyvov
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Posts : 208
    Points : 210
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  SeigSoloyvov on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:06 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:................

    Perhaps budget reasons are hurting them here?.


    I dunno, it would take a lot bigger economic crisis for Russia to stop building SSBN's, they are core component of the Navy. Entire Naval doctrine is designed around them. They will be building something but will it be whole new thing (Husky SSBN variant) or evolution of Borei?



    Project Canada wrote:
    Maybe because  of the short comings of the Bulava? Perhaps they figured its better to wait until a more stable /reliable replacement  for the Bulava is developed before building new class of ssbn


    If that were the case they would not be laying down new one in December. Besides Bulava problems are being ironed out. And even if they weren't Borei can be modified to carry something else, it's just launch tubes that would need tweaking.

    Do they even have a next gen submarine ready to go?. I doubt it or maybe they think they can get by with just eight borei's it's ether that or money problems.

    Well we can except the Yasen class subs to be hit next then.

    magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4467
    Points : 4658
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:26 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    George1 wrote:Russia will start construction of eighth Borei-class submarine on December 23 — source

    More:
    http://tass.com/defense/910145


    The Knyaz Pozharsky submarine will be the last of the eight Borei-class submarines and the fifth of the advanced Borei-A-class ones.

    So what do you guys think about this? Seems to me they are pulling out a bit early unless next thing is Borei-B...

    Makes a lot of sense to me, with all the new developments that were created from the Foundation of Advanced Studies, for a sub to take full advantage of the new developments, it would need to be designed from scratch. I suspect what they'll do is build smaller but more capable subs, which is a pattern that we are witnessing in Ru's surface ships. Take for example KRET's work on photonic computing, if you examine a modern SSBN, a large portion of it's space is dedicated to storing all the electronic sub systems. A modern SSBN with photonic computing subsystems would take up a small fraction of the space that the electronic equivalent would take (can easily be 1/10th the normal space), you could potentially see new subs that are 1/2-1/3 the normal size, but with the same fire power. Some added bonuses would be that those new smaller subs would need smaller propellers and less powerful propulsion systems, making them more silent, and they would also be cheaper as well as being quicker to produce and put in to service (especially if 3D printing plays a larger role).

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3659
    Points : 3771
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  PapaDragon on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:31 pm

    SeigSoloyvov wrote:.............

    Well we can except the Yasen class subs to be hit next then.

    Yasens already reached end of series, Husky is next to be built.

    SeigSoloyvov
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Posts : 208
    Points : 210
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  SeigSoloyvov on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:38 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:.............

    Well we can except the Yasen class subs to be hit next then.

    Yasens already reached end of series, Husky is next to be built.

    Stopping after only eight hulls? they needed at least 12, money is becoming a factor it seems.

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3659
    Points : 3771
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  PapaDragon on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:57 pm

    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:.............

    Well we can except the Yasen class subs to be hit next then.

    Yasens already reached end of series, Husky is next to be built.

    Stopping after only eight hulls? they needed at least 12, money is becoming a factor it seems.

    Yasen dragged on since the 90's. It would have been 12 but like everything else they wasted a decade back in the golden Yeltsin era. Whole thing was also redesigned midway trough.

    It is supposed to be replaced anyway. Husky is next in line. If money were an issue with subs then they would not be working on Husky class.

    SeigSoloyvov
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Posts : 208
    Points : 210
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  SeigSoloyvov on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:00 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:.............

    Well we can except the Yasen class subs to be hit next then.

    Yasens already reached end of series, Husky is next to be built.

    Stopping after only eight hulls? they needed at least 12, money is becoming a factor it seems.

    Yasen dragged on since the 90's. It would have been 12 but like everything else they wasted a decade back in the golden Yeltsin era.  Whole thing was also redesigned midway trough.

    It is supposed to be replaced anyway. Husky is next in line. If money were an issue with subs then they would not be working on Husky class.

    That was the first hull the other hulls are current day, I see no major reason to stop at 8 unless they REALLY needed the money for the Husky's which will be a very long time before we see one laid down.

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3659
    Points : 3771
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  PapaDragon on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm

    SeigSoloyvov wrote:.................

    That was the first hull the other hulls are current day, I see no major reason to stop at 8 unless they REALLY needed the money for the Husky's which will be a very long time before we see one laid down.

    I really don't think that they will spend next decade not building any nuke subs whatsoever. If that really is the case then there will definitely be huge noise over it because it would be massive event.

    We need to wait until we hear more news but if they really stop construction altogether there it will be huge, dare I say, scandal. Nuke subs are not frigates.

    Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5663
    Points : 6069
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Age : 40
    Location : India

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  Austin Today at 10:26 am

    The sea component of the nuclear triad will be one of the priorities of the new state program of armaments - the Russian military-industrial complex
    02/12/2016 9:30:31
    http://militarynews.ru/story.asp?rid=1&nid=434259

          
    Viña del Mar (Chile). December 2nd. Interfax-AVN - Development of sea-based strategic nuclear forces (SNF) will be one of the main points of the new state armament program (SAP) in the years 2018-2025, "Interfax-AVN" member of the board of the Military-Industrial Commission (VPK) Vladimir Pospelov.

           "By itself, the construction of naval strategic nuclear forces is a top priority and at the same time it organically drawn to the development of the entire fleet categories, types and branches of the Armed Forces, which provide the strategic nuclear forces." - V.Pospelov said.

           He said that we are talking about all the components of the Russian nuclear triad.

           "This also applies to ground strategic nuclear forces, and aviation This orbital grouping, and bringing combat control teams, and many other things that, ultimately, a single system comprehensively solve the problem." - V.Pospelov said, who heads the Council MIC board on shipbuilding.

           Proceeding from this logic, he said V.Pospelov, takes into account various proposals for specific projects of ships, supply vessels, aircraft, other military equipment, which is created in the interest of the development of the naval component of the strategic nuclear forces.

           He stressed that the Russian army entered the twenty-first century with the priorities of national security, that formed a little earlier.

           "It is definitely possible to say that today, first of all it is the strategic nuclear forces provide the global interests of Russia and several other countries of the world. US, UK, France, Germany and some other countries This is - an absolute element of stability on a global scale," - he said in .Pospelov.

           According to him, since the emergence of the nuclear triad development of its sea, air and land component is a priority in the "vёrstkah" SAP. "It was yesterday, is today, and I am sure, will continue in the foreseeable future is the priority that is guaranteed to ensure the protection of our national interests in any of the scenarios." - V.Pospelov said.

           Noting the effectiveness and powerful strategic nuclear forces, which are an essential element of strategic stability, the agency drew attention to the need to improve information support for automated control systems of marine component of the nuclear triad of state. ".. This applies, in particular, to ensure the stability of the combat groups of marine strategic nuclear forces This is the maritime component of general purpose forces and there are a number of other issues that will be emphasized in the new LG" - V.Pospelov said.

           Responding to questions about the financial security of the SAP - 2018-2025, he noted that participated in the formation of three state programs arms.

           "Financial assets never is never too much: no matter how much to offer - they always will learn Certain limitations are present today in our country, and in many other countries." - V.Pospelov said.

           As an example, he cited a number of heads of the Navy Latin American region, which spoke at the International Naval Exhibition "EKSPONAVAL 2016" in Chile.

           "They have a dilemma: they are the commanders of the Navy, we would like one, and countries leadership says it we can, and that - no starts selection options for the development of national Navy The main task here - to competently distribute those funds.. that they can give the state to most effectively achieve the goals set by the leadership of the country ", - said V.Pospelov.

           He stressed that the development of the Russian Navy for many years now goes to the "eye" in the vastness of the oceans, but today it is particularly relevant in view of the current geopolitical situation.

           "Not every country having serious navy, capable of entering the expanses of the oceans We objectively." Imprisoned "at the matter from the time of Peter the First, and always try to match - and the shipbuilding industry, and those federal executive bodies that are involved in . these tasks management of the Ministry of Defence, the leadership of the Military-industrial Commission clearly see and understand the challenges that exist today, and properly respond to them, "- said V.Pospelov.

           New LG spokesman said, takes into account all these factors. 



    Sponsored content

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:20 pm


      Current date/time is Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:20 pm