Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Project 955: Borei class SSBN

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

Post  max steel on Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:02 pm

there is still one typhoon and yes all will be replaced with Borei because unlike previous soviet subs they are difficult to detect. Kilogolf you still must learn more about Underwater Warfare. Actually I'm into Russian subs and US subs these days after finishing with Missiles and Anti-Missile Defences and I've got a lot of online material with me ( don't even know how to share it here , where to start.) But you can Read some old threads here regarding Submarine noises and comparisons.

KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KiloGolf on Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:28 pm

max steel wrote:there is still one typhoon and yes all will be replaced with Borei because unlike previous soviet subs they are difficult to detect. Kilogolf you still must learn more about Underwater Warfare. Actually I'm into Russian subs and US subs these days after finishing with Missiles and Anti-Missile Defences and I've got a lot of online material with me ( don't even know how to share it here , where to start.) But you can Read some old threads here regarding Submarine noises and comparisons.

Sure, I'm no expert and probably will never become one. But I can put some things together.
    I.e. witnessing a huge capability loss simply due to the small numbers planned long-term and the threat environment of their opposing force.

I'll have a look at the threads, thx man russia

SeigSoloyvov
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  SeigSoloyvov on Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:36 pm

max steel wrote:there is still one typhoon and yes all will be replaced with Borei because unlike previous soviet subs they are difficult to detect. Kilogolf you still must learn more about Underwater Warfare. Actually I'm into Russian subs and US subs these days after finishing with Missiles and Anti-Missile Defences and I've got a lot of online material with me ( don't even know how to share it here , where to start.) But you can Read some old threads here regarding Submarine noises and comparisons.

The TK-208 was just used has a test bed for the Bulava, there is no official word or statements saying she is actiuvyly patroling with those missiles. Unless you have some proof or something that can back up this claim, I will not count it has fact.

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:58 pm

I'm NO expert either but love to read more from genuine sources and share it here among others. Mindstorm and GarryB are expert people acc. to me.

As of 2015 the Russian fleet three of the six originally constructed Akula subs: the TK-17 Arkhangelsk, the TK-20 Severstal and the TK-208 Dmitry Donskoi exists.

According to the 2014 plans of the Russian Fleet, the submarine will remain in use until 2022, though it is possible that it will then be modernized and continue its service.

Russia announced on12 March 2016 a decision to disarm the nuclear missile system of its Typhoon-class Arkhangelsk submarine – the world's largest – in accordance with the New START treaty between Moscow and Washington. Russia's Zvezdochka shipyard in the northern city of Severodvinsk declared its plan to disarm the missile system on the huge submarine. "We will remove the covers of the submarine's missile launchers and seal them, thus making it impossible to use the vessel's missile weapons," read the press statement. "We are not talking yet about dismantling the submarine itself. The tender for this procedure has not yet been announced."

SeigSoloyvov
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  SeigSoloyvov on Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:18 am

max steel wrote:I'm NO expert either but love to read more from genuine sources and share it here among others. Mindstorm and GarryB are expert people acc. to me.

As of  2015 the Russian fleet three of the six originally constructed Akula subs: the TK-17 Arkhangelsk, the TK-20 Severstal and the TK-208 Dmitry Donskoi exists.

According to the 2014 plans of the Russian Fleet, the submarine will remain in use until 2022, though it is possible that it will then be modernized and continue its service.

Russia announced on12 March 2016 a decision to disarm the nuclear missile system of its Typhoon-class Arkhangelsk submarine – the world's largest – in accordance with the New START treaty between Moscow and Washington. Russia's Zvezdochka shipyard in the northern city of Severodvinsk declared its plan to disarm the missile system on the huge submarine. "We will remove the covers of the submarine's missile launchers and seal them, thus making it impossible to use the vessel's missile weapons," read the press statement. "We are not talking yet about dismantling the submarine itself. The tender for this procedure has not yet been announced."

In use for the Navy example of this is all four Kirov's are listed has being part of the fleet. Yet only one is operational, this doesn't states shes patrolling.

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:11 pm

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:07 pm

Russian Pacific Fleet to get Vladimir Monomakh nuclear sub before year end

The Vladimir Monomakh Borey class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine (Project 955) will complete the voyage to the Pacific Fleet before the yearend, Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Navy Admiral Vladimir Korolev told TASS on Saturday.

"This year, Borey will be there, like we have promised," he said.

The Russian Navy has started receiving fourth-generation Project 955 Borei-class (Dolgorukiy-class) submarines recently. It has three of them now - the Yuri Dolgoruky, Alexander Nevsky and Vladimir Monomakh. The Prince Vladimir is due for delivery to the Pacific Fleet next year. Four more ships in the class are due before 2020. Thus, the Russian SSBN fleet will comprise 15 submarines, if the Project 667BDR family is decommissioned.

The Project 955 nuclear-powered submarine armed with Bulava intercontinental ballistic missiles is designed to become the mainstay of Russia’s naval strategic nuclear forces for decades to come.

The Project 955 nuclear-powered submarine can carry 16 R-30 Bulava solid-propellant intercontinental ballistic missiles with a range of more than 8,000 kilometers (4,971 miles). The Bulava intercontinental ballistic missile features multiple independently targetable reentry vehicles.

The Project 955 nuclear-powered submarine is equipped with an escape chamber designed to accommodate the entire crew.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:10 pm

Vladimir Monomakh begins transfer to the Pacific

Vladimir Monomakh, the third submarine of the Project 955 class, is said to have left its temporary base in Severomorsk to begin transfer to the Pacific. It is expected to reach its permanent base in Vilyuchinsk in September. There, Vladimir Monomakh will join another Project 955 submarine, Alexander Nevskiy, which completed the transfer in September 2015. (Check Hans Kristensen's excellent post on the upgrades done at Vilyuchinsk.)

Vladimir Monomakh was expected to conduct a salvo launch of Bulava missiles in June 2016, but it has left without launching the missiles. It is possible that it will launch the missiles from the Pacific, but maybe it won't - at the time Alexander Nevskiy arrived in the Pacific it was reported that it will conduct a launch from there, but it didn't.

http://russianforces.org/blog/2016/08/vladimir_monomakh_begins_trans.shtml

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:32 pm

The Vladimir Monomakh (project 955) sub has arrived at its permanent base Viliuchinsk in the Kamchakta Peninsula

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/902180?_ga=1.55173099.1337049799.1447427261

GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:46 pm

George1 wrote:
    The Vladimir Monomakh (project 955) sub has arrived at its permanent base Viliuchinsk in the Kamchakta Peninsula

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/902180?_ga=1.55173099.1337049799.1447427261

Talking about Viliuchinsk interesting view.

This is not for subs but please check sea bottom nicely deep after Kamchatka towards east.

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:33 pm

Eight Borey unit to be ordered called Prince Pozharsky

http://flotprom.ru/2016/%D0%A1%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%BC%D0%B0%D1%8816/

KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KiloGolf on Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:46 pm

PapaDragon wrote:

I hope they increase that number to 12. Eight is barely enough for Northern and Pacific. An extra four will allow them to keep patrols in selected seas like south Atlantic, Indian and Southern Pacific.

SeigSoloyvov
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  SeigSoloyvov on Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:59 pm

KiloGolf wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

I hope they increase that number to 12. Eight is barely enough for Northern and Pacific. An extra four will allow them to keep patrols in selected seas like south Atlantic, Indian and Southern Pacific.

10 is the planned number.

franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  franco on Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:03 pm

KiloGolf wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

There are also 6 rebuilt, or in the process of being rebuilt, 667BDRM SSBN's which should be good until 2030.

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:28 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

That number can go up, why not? Subs are ordered one at a time.

Besides, what follows will probably be upgraded version of Boreis. As long as they keep pace it should be good.

KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KiloGolf on Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:52 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

That's much better.
    I don't think Russia needs too many SSBNs, 12 would be nice overall. 10 is fair enough.

They basically have 2,5 times the sub deterrence of UK or France (with vastly better SLBM tech).

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:27 am

The thing with the Boreis is that they can carry 16 missiles each capable of carrying say 4 warheads plus jammers and decoys and drones... that means 16 x 4 x X > 500, where X is the number of subs.

8 subs means 512 warheads which would be OK... 10 subs would be 640 warheads, which means either fewer cruise missiles/bombers or fewer ICBMs.

Fortunately the New Start Treaty is weak as... it sets a deployed warhead count for a specific day... the day before and the day after you can have as many warheads deployed as you want and still comply with the treaty.

Or they could just say Bulava carries 2 warheads each... Smile

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

jhelb
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Post  jhelb on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:49 pm

GarryB wrote:The thing with the Boreis is that they can carry 16 missiles each capable of carrying say 4 warheads plus jammers and decoys and drones...

Jammers are attached to the warhead itself, isn't it?

Also, what do they need drones for in the Borei? Thanks.

SeigSoloyvov
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  SeigSoloyvov on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:17 pm

GarryB wrote:The thing with the Boreis is that they can carry 16 missiles each capable of carrying say 4 warheads plus jammers and decoys and drones... that means 16 x 4 x X > 500, where X is the number of subs.

8 subs means 512 warheads which would be OK... 10 subs would be 640 warheads, which means either fewer cruise missiles/bombers or fewer ICBMs.

Fortunately the New Start Treaty is weak as... it sets a deployed warhead count for a specific day... the day before and the day after you can have as many warheads deployed as you want and still comply with the treaty.

Or they could just say Bulava carries 2 warheads each... Smile

Russia walked away from the start Treaty.

At least no one seems to enforce it anymore

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:20 am

Jammers are attached to the warhead itself, isn't it?

Jammers are devices needing power and antennas/emitters... they would be separate from warheads otherwise the enemy could simply fit home on jam seekers to defeat the warheads.

Also, what do they need drones for in the Borei? Thanks.

A drone could simply be a place holder... say you want to test a warhead but if you don't put in the 4-6 warheads the missile would normally carry the performance is effected and results will be different.

Think of it as dummy weapons... place holders... to ensure that if it had the 4-6 warheads it is supposed to have that they separate properly and don't interfere with each other on release.

You could even use a drone to monitor the warhead with a camera or sensor...

[quote]Russia walked away from the start Treaty.[/qutoe]

No.

They only walked away from the CFE treaty and that was because they were the only ones to sign it and all the NATO countries were bitching about their forces in Georgia being ilegal... just as well they kept them there eh?

The START I and START II treaties were made null by the New START treaty which is in effect now.

At least no one seems to enforce it anymore

There is nothing to enforce. The New START treaty basically demands that both sides have between 1,200 and 1,500 deployed nuclear warheads and x number of nuclear weapon platforms on a specific date... something like 19 December 2019 or something.

Both sides can have thousands of deployed nuclear warheads on the day before that date or the day after but to comply all they need to do is ensure on that date they have no more than the specified number of warheads and platforms (ie planes, subs, and silos and trucks etc).

AFAIK there are no verification procedures either...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

jhelb
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Post  jhelb on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:07 am

GarryB wrote:

You could even use a drone to monitor the warhead with a camera or sensor...

But how will that help? Lets say you monitor some abnormality with the warhead, what can you do you? The warheads cannot be controlled/guided?

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:21 pm

Russia will start construction of eighth Borei-class submarine on December 23 — source

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/910145

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:56 pm

George1 wrote:Russia will start construction of eighth Borei-class submarine on December 23 — source

More:

The Knyaz Pozharsky submarine will be the last of the eight Borei-class submarines and the fifth of the advanced Borei-A-class ones.

So what do you guys think about this? Seems to me they are pulling out a bit early unless next thing is Borei-B...

SeigSoloyvov
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  SeigSoloyvov on Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:47 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    George1 wrote:Russia will start construction of eighth Borei-class submarine on December 23 — source

More:

The Knyaz Pozharsky submarine will be the last of the eight Borei-class submarines and the fifth of the advanced Borei-A-class ones.

So what do you guys think about this? Seems to me they are pulling out a bit early unless next thing is Borei-B...

Perhaps budget reasons are hurting them here?.

Project Canada
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Project Canada on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:32 pm

Maybe because of the short comings of the Bulava? Perhaps they figured its better to wait until a more stable /reliable replacement for the Bulava is developed before building new class of ssbn

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:16 pm

Current date/time is Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:16 pm