Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Share
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5731
    Points : 5835
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:48 pm

    Big_Gazza wrote:.........
    The article says they are starting design work on Borei-B, not construction.  That fits with detailed development of Husky concept, never mind the use of "Borei" name.

    I think that they started working on future upgrade of Borei class that will follow Borei-A that they are currently building. It won't be new class just new version.

    Husky class is replacement for Yasen and it will be unified platform for SSN, SSGN and SSBN.

    Husky SSBN will be replacing Borei-B but they will probably start constructing those only once Husky design has been tested thoroughly and several SSN/SSGN versions of them are already built.

    So my theory is that at least several Husky SSN/SSGNs and Borei-Bs will be constructed in parallel before first Husky SSBN gets the go ahead after last Borei-B is built.
    avatar
    hoom

    Posts : 641
    Points : 639
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  hoom on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:48 am

    Husky SSBN will be replacing Borei-B but they will probably start constructing those only once Husky design has been tested thoroughly and several SSN/SSGN versions of them are already built.

    So my theory is that at least several Husky SSN/SSGNs and Borei-Bs will be constructed in parallel before first Husky SSBN gets the go ahead after last Borei-B is built.
    That seems like a good theory thumbsup
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 1741
    Points : 1781
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:47 am

    Big_Gazza wrote:Husky appears to be a common design family to fulfill the needs of SSN, SSBN and SSGN.  Common design solutions but with custom mission-critical modules.  SLBM missile tubes for SSBN, cruise missile tubes for SSGN, lack of both on SSN (emphasis on torpedo tubes).

    The article says they are starting design work on Borei-B, not construction.  That fits with detailed development of Husky concept, never mind the use of "Borei" name.

    But once sub is build as SSBN or SSN there is no way of adding or replacing modules right? its only about sharing design components?
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5731
    Points : 5835
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  PapaDragon on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:19 am

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    Big_Gazza wrote:Husky appears to be a common design family to fulfill the needs of SSN, SSBN and SSGN.  Common design solutions but with custom mission-critical modules.  SLBM missile tubes for SSBN, cruise missile tubes for SSGN, lack of both on SSN (emphasis on torpedo tubes).

    The article says they are starting design work on Borei-B, not construction.  That fits with detailed development of Husky concept, never mind the use of "Borei" name.

    But once sub is build as  SSBN or SSN there is no way of adding or replacing modules right? its only about sharing design components?  

    Yes but those shared components massively simplify production and maintenance (as simple as nuke subs go that is)
    avatar
    The-thing-next-door

    Posts : 143
    Points : 169
    Join date : 2017-09-18
    Location : Soviet Interdimentional Command

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  The-thing-next-door on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 pm

    Does the Borei class have a swimming pool and sauna like the Akula class?
    avatar
    ZoA

    Posts : 39
    Points : 45
    Join date : 2017-08-20

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  ZoA on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:57 pm

    The-thing-next-door wrote:Does the Borei class have a swimming pool and sauna like the Akula class?  

    Yes, and it is upgraded with hookers and blackjack too.
    avatar
    The-thing-next-door

    Posts : 143
    Points : 169
    Join date : 2017-09-18
    Location : Soviet Interdimentional Command

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  The-thing-next-door on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:18 pm

    ZoA wrote:Yes, and it is upgraded with hookers and blackjack too.

    Crew comfort is second down form firepower in the list of most iprortant thins for a subersible thing to have. You need to check your mad science manual it will explain.

    On a more serious note I know this is a silly question but the Akula has a pool and sauna so it is not so far fetched that the Borei might have a pool and sauna too.
    avatar
    Isos

    Posts : 961
    Points : 959
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  Isos on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:51 pm

    ZoA wrote:
    The-thing-next-door wrote:Does the Borei class have a swimming pool and sauna like the Akula class?  

    Yes, and it is upgraded with hookers and blackjack too.

    There was plans for a night club but the shipyards said it would add 10 years to its construction.

    They can also make the sub vibrate so that they have full body massage, its in option for export kilos too.
    avatar
    The-thing-next-door

    Posts : 143
    Points : 169
    Join date : 2017-09-18
    Location : Soviet Interdimentional Command

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  The-thing-next-door on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm

    Isos wrote:
    ZoA wrote:
    The-thing-next-door wrote:Does the Borei class have a swimming pool and sauna like the Akula class?  

    Yes, and it is upgraded with hookers and blackjack too.

    There was plans for a night club but the shipyards said it would add 10 years to its construction.

    They can also make the sub vibrate so that they have full body massage, its in option for export kilos too.

    (in the voice of drill seargant Arch Dornan from Fallout 2) Can't you morons see that I was asking a serious question!

    (dissclaimer please note that I was not trying to insult anyone with the use of the word "morons" it was for comedic effect)

    I think you skipped my responce to ZoA in witch I explained that.
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 1741
    Points : 1781
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:53 am

    The-thing-next-door wrote:Does the Borei class have a swimming pool and sauna like the Akula class?  

    Actually keeping fit is very important for any crew. Especially that patrol can last pretty long. I hope that some kind of gym they have. IMHO instead of noisy weights (you alwasy can drop or putting on rack it just is noisy, use kind of body weight training? less space and all is attached ot walls. Something like Soviet turniks or ghetto workouts Smile


    BTW I saw this "swimming pool" in AKulas once on Yt. More like big Jacuzzi unfortunately without sexy blonder in skimpy bikinis and no cigars too.
    avatar
    The-thing-next-door

    Posts : 143
    Points : 169
    Join date : 2017-09-18
    Location : Soviet Interdimentional Command

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  The-thing-next-door on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:18 am

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    The-thing-next-door wrote:Does the Borei class have a swimming pool and sauna like the Akula class?  

    Actually keeping fit is very important for any crew. Especially that patrol can last pretty long. I hope that some kind of gym they have. IMHO instead of noisy weights (you alwasy can drop or putting on rack it just is noisy, use kind of body weight training? less space and all is attached ot walls. Something like Soviet turniks or ghetto workouts Smile


    BTW I saw this "swimming pool" in AKulas once on  Yt. More like big Jacuzzi unfortunately without sexy blonder in skimpy bikinis and no cigars too.
    Finally someone realises that it is a serious question. The Aukula does have a gym and apparently also a sauna too.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16852
    Points : 17460
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  GarryB on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 am

    Actually I seem to remember comments about three swimming pools and two Aviaries (ie places with birds) and a movie theatre and two libraries... sauna and several gyms and I am actually being serious.

    Also every crewman has their own bed... unlike some US boomers where the crew have to hot rack... ie with three shifts three crew will sleep in one bed in turns... 8 hours to sleep 8 hours on duty and 8 hours to pass the time.

    That is not to say the Russian crew had their own rooms.... I think there were four bunks to a room for the lowest ranks but you got your own bed that you did not have to share with anyone else...

    Note for those not clear the Akula class is known in the west as the Typhoon class SSBN.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    The-thing-next-door

    Posts : 143
    Points : 169
    Join date : 2017-09-18
    Location : Soviet Interdimentional Command

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  The-thing-next-door on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:24 am

    GarryB wrote:Actually I seem to remember comments about three swimming pools and two Aviaries (ie places with birds) and a movie theatre and two libraries... sauna and several gyms and I am actually being serious.

    Also every crewman has their own bed... unlike some US boomers where the crew have to hot rack... ie with three shifts three crew will sleep in one bed in turns... 8 hours to sleep 8 hours on duty and 8 hours to pass the time.

    That is not to say the Russian crew had their own rooms.... I think there were four bunks to a room for the lowest ranks but you got your own bed that you did not have to share with anyone else...

    Note for those not clear the Akula class is known in the west as the Typhoon class SSBN.

    Could you show pictures?

    I love how the Akula is litteraly the exact oposite of what western propaganda makes Russian subs out to be.

    "Russian subs are cramped and super uncomfortable"...Meanwhile Russian sub has pools saunas wooden pannels and other luxuries.
    avatar
    Isos

    Posts : 961
    Points : 959
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  Isos on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:19 pm

    Here is your pool. You can find the entire documentry on the net. I think it was called mission invisible (at least the french title was Something like that).

    You're welcome.


    avatar
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3261
    Points : 3367
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  flamming_python on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:05 pm

    GarryB wrote:Actually I seem to remember comments about three swimming pools and two Aviaries (ie places with birds) and a movie theatre and two libraries... sauna and several gyms and I am actually being serious.

    Yup that's a pretty standard set of stuff for military units. Some have more, some have less. The Akulas evidently had more.
    For example in ours we had a sports hall (football markings, basketball hoops, a volleyball net, a pull-up bar, mats), a gym (with all sorts of equipment), a movie theatre (which didn't open its doors too often), a TV room (you could play chess or read newspapers there too), a library and a psychological relaxation room (comfy chairs, magazines, table, board games, music system, pleasing wallpaper). No swimming pools or avaries mind you but then again we were out in the taiga so there was plenty of nature around anyway, and some lakes too.
    Other units were less lucky.

    That room they're sitting in playing the guitar in the vid that Isos posted is a psychological relaxation room; and that's probably where they had the bird cage and aquarium too. Can't imagine they have a dedicated aviary but hey who knows. Their library would probably be a pretty small room with a few shelves of books. Don't think there would be a need to have two seperate ones. We had a dedicated librarian on base who would tell us about authors and their literature from time to time, but on a submarine some sailors would have to have that duty.
    avatar
    TheArmenian

    Posts : 1729
    Points : 1886
    Join date : 2011-09-14

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  TheArmenian on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:13 pm

    The fourth BOREI class submarine, KNYAZ VLADIMIR, will be launched tomorrow at Sevmash.
    avatar
    miketheterrible

    Posts : 1557
    Points : 1557
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  miketheterrible on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:22 pm

    Fifth one is in need of renigotiation of finances since they (United shipbuilding Corporation) ran out of funds for it. So expect some begging from them to MoD.
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10746
    Points : 11225
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  George1 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:55 pm

    4th Borei SSBN - 1st modernized Pr.955A Borei-A - Knyaz Vladimir has been launched earlier today. Note modified stern plane and rudder.



    https://rg.ru/2017/11/17/reg-szfo/severodvinske-vyveli-iz-ellinga-novuiu-apl-kniaz-vladimir.html


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    hoom

    Posts : 641
    Points : 639
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  hoom on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:57 pm

    avatar
    KomissarBojanchev

    Posts : 1226
    Points : 1383
    Join date : 2012-08-05
    Age : 20
    Location : Varna, Bulgaria

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  KomissarBojanchev on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 pm

    FINALLY cheers cheers cheers cheers
    avatar
    KomissarBojanchev

    Posts : 1226
    Points : 1383
    Join date : 2012-08-05
    Age : 20
    Location : Varna, Bulgaria

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  KomissarBojanchev on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 pm

    miketheterrible wrote:Fifth one is in need of renigotiation of finances since they (United shipbuilding Corporation) ran out of funds for it. So expect some begging from them to MoD.

    Why did it turn out to be more expensive?
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 1741
    Points : 1781
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:58 pm

    George1 wrote:4th Borei SSBN - 1st modernized Pr.955A Borei-A - Knyaz Vladimir has been launched earlier today. Note modified stern plane and rudder.

    https://rg.ru/2017/11/17/reg-szfo/severodvinske-vyveli-iz-ellinga-novuiu-apl-kniaz-vladimir.html



    What is da pipe along stabilizer?
    avatar
    The-thing-next-door

    Posts : 143
    Points : 169
    Join date : 2017-09-18
    Location : Soviet Interdimentional Command

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  The-thing-next-door on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:00 pm

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    George1 wrote:4th Borei SSBN - 1st modernized Pr.955A Borei-A - Knyaz Vladimir has been launched earlier today. Note modified stern plane and rudder.

    https://rg.ru/2017/11/17/reg-szfo/severodvinske-vyveli-iz-ellinga-novuiu-apl-kniaz-vladimir.html



    What is da pipe along stabilizer?

    You have no need to know.
    avatar
    hoom

    Posts : 641
    Points : 639
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  hoom on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:19 am

    Towed array.
    Presumably a 2nd on the other side.

    This stern config is quite a bit different from previous Borei
    New

    Old
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5731
    Points : 5835
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  PapaDragon on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:47 am

    That cardboard "box" on the propeler is much larger on new one, could be telling...

    Sponsored content

    Re: Project 955: Borei class SSBN

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:05 pm