Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Share

    Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 6092
    Points : 6498
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Location : India

    Aerospace Defence Forces: News

    Post  Austin on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:33 pm

    NickM wrote:
    Every single Russian (or Chinese or Indian) submarine can be detected by the UK and US. This is why Russian submarines hide under ice sheets to avoid detection and fire their SLBMs from their.

    lol! lol! lol! Laughing Laughing Laughing
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1495
    Points : 1533
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:27 pm

    Defense Ministry: Russian launch missile defense system was successful



    http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20150609/1069008176.html

    MOSCOW, Jun 9 — RIA Novosti. Troops EKR held in Kazakhstan's successful missile launch system missile defense, told reporters in the management of the press service and information of the defense Ministry.
    "On Tuesday, June 9, joint combat crew of ground Sary-Shagan (strategic rocket forces) troops aerospace defense (ASD) and industry representatives in 11 hours 32 minutes (MSK) successfully conducted a test launch of the missile near the Russian system of missile defence (BMD)", — stated in the message.



    avatar
    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2980
    Points : 3012
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  max steel on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:56 am

    When S-500 will come in service can it shoot down hypersonic gliders and  submarine launched tridents ?


    If russia has defenses to shoot down icbms and usa  doesnt posses such systems( their Ground Missile Defence Interceptors  their only answer to icbms are  not reliable ) then why usa resorts to muscle flexing ore often than russians . I've shared an article describing gmd interceptors unreliability .


    Last edited by max steel on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2763
    Points : 2813
    Join date : 2014-06-19
    Location : Bay Area, CA

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  Mike E on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:36 am

    max steel wrote:When S-500 will come in service can it shoot down hyperdonic gliders and  submarine launched tridents ?

    If russia has defenses to shoot down icbms and usa  doesnt posses such systems( their Ground Missile Defence Interceptors  their only answer to icbms are  not reliable ) then why usa resorts to muscle flexing ore often than russians . I've shared an article describing gmd interceptors unreliability .
    The US isn't close to have HSV's in service and as such there is little reason to ask. However, I can tell you with certainty that the S-500 will have no trouble engaging a target with the HSV-specific flight path.

    Tridents are old as **** and in no way maneuverable. You could probably shoot one down with an Igla. lol1

    Both countries have their defenses, the difference is Russia isn't stupid enough to flaunt theirs while in reality, they are failures. THAAD will have no effect against any modern ICBM in Russia's inventory, same goes for the GMDI which are basically proven failures. - Intercepting non-maneuverable BM's that are completely known to be launched is nothing special! failing to do so is pathetic at best. 

    SM-3 is honesty the greatest threat, but I doubt it will be all that reliable against ICBM's in a realistic scenario. They aren't satellites after all...
    avatar
    ahmedfire
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 704
    Points : 876
    Join date : 2010-11-11
    Location : egypt

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  ahmedfire on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:40 am

    max steel wrote:When S-500 will come in service can it shoot down hyperdonic gliders and  submarine launched tridents ?


    If russia has defenses to shoot down icbms and usa  doesnt posses such systems( their Ground Missile Defence Interceptors  their only answer to icbms are  not reliable ) then why usa resorts to muscle flexing ore often than russians . I've shared an article describing gmd interceptors unreliability .

    S-500 will deal with targets with max speed 21 Mach
    Hypersonic speed range lies between Mach 5 and Mach 10 ,so yes S-500 can deal with hypersonic gliders.

    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16054
    Points : 16685
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  GarryB on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:52 pm

    The main difference is that the US systems based in Europe or the Arctic ocean is near the launch positions of Russian Missiles and therefore will engage individual missiles and warhead buses before warheads are deployed.

    The Russian systems are in Russia... so are deployed around the target and therefore have to deal with warheads and decoys... potentially thousands instead of hundreds.

    Being able to base S-500s in say Canada would make their potential capability orders of magnitude better... obviously not an issue however.

    S-500 should be able to intercept 7km/s targets, which means most SLBMs and ICBMs.

    AFAIK the only operational and fully tested ABM system in the world currently operates around Moscow, as it has done for decades.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    ahmedfire
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 704
    Points : 876
    Join date : 2010-11-11
    Location : egypt

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  ahmedfire on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:03 pm

    GarryB wrote:The main difference is that the US systems based in Europe or the Arctic ocean is near the launch positions of Russian Missiles and therefore will engage individual missiles and warhead buses before warheads are deployed.

    The Russian systems are in Russia... so are deployed around the target and therefore have to deal with warheads and decoys... potentially thousands instead of hundreds.

    Being able to base S-500s in say Canada would make their potential capability orders of magnitude better... obviously not an issue however.

    S-500 should be able to intercept 7km/s targets, which means most SLBMs and ICBMs.

    AFAIK the only operational and fully tested ABM system in the world currently operates around Moscow, as it has done for decades.


    Any future conflict ,Russia will first destroy these ABM system in europe before launching her nuclear delivery systems.
    avatar
    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5669
    Points : 6318
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  Viktor on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:33 pm

    max steel wrote:When S-500 will come in service can it shoot down hyperdonic gliders and  submarine launched tridents ?


    If russia has defenses to shoot down icbms and usa  doesnt posses such systems( their Ground Missile Defence Interceptors  their only answer to icbms are  not reliable ) then why usa resorts to muscle flexing ore often than russians . I've shared an article describing gmd interceptors unreliability .

    S-500 is designed with specialy hypersonic Mach 20-25 at 30-100 km altitude in mind among other.



    Mike E wrote:
    max steel wrote:When S-500 will come in service can it shoot down hyperdonic gliders and  submarine launched tridents ?

    If russia has defenses to shoot down icbms and usa  doesnt posses such systems( their Ground Missile Defence Interceptors  their only answer to icbms are  not reliable ) then why usa resorts to muscle flexing ore often than russians . I've shared an article describing gmd interceptors unreliability .
    The US isn't close to have HSV's in service and as such there is little reason to ask. However, I can tell you with certainty that the S-500 will have no trouble engaging a target with the HSV-specific flight path.

    Funny thing is that while western countries possess great deal of cruise missiles their defenses against it is almost soely based on aviation component Very Happy

    Thats why panic broke out when Russia started fielding Kh-101, R-500 cruise missiles. Defenses against it is extremely expensive Very Happy


    and ... going west Very Happy

    Russia to Deploy S-400 Air Defense Systems Near Western Borders by End 201

    and regiment (armed with 3 batteries) of S-400 + Pancir-S1 battery

    Western military district before the end of 2015 will receive a 30-400 and the "armor"
    avatar
    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2980
    Points : 3012
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  max steel on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:05 pm

    Mike E wrote:
    The US isn't close to have HSV's in service and as such there is little reason to ask. However, I can tell you with certainty that the S-500 will have no trouble engaging a target with the HSV-specific flight path.

    Tridents are old as **** and in no way maneuverable. You could probably shoot one down with an Igla. lol1

    Both countries have their defenses, the difference is Russia isn't stupid enough to flaunt theirs while in reality, they are failures. THAAD will have no effect against any modern ICBM in Russia's inventory, same goes for the GMDI which are basically proven failures. - Intercepting non-maneuverable BM's that are completely known to be launched is nothing special! failing to do so is pathetic at best. 

    SM-3 is honesty the greatest threat, but I doubt it will be all that reliable against ICBM's in a realistic scenario. They aren't satellites after all...

    1)Well US tested its Darpa Glider Vehicle and it attained Mach 20 speed both the time in two tests but it eventually failed . So they are pretty much near in making a functional Hypersonic Glider Vehicle . Meanwhile Chinese Glider attained mach 10 speed , though Chinese won't attack russians and their glider successfully performed extreme maneuvers in the latest test . Now S-500 can hit targets upto 7km/s which roughly means Mach 20.57 . So any ICBM above Mach 20 can go past russian defense ? Btw How fast an American nuke delievery vehicle can go ? Top speed ?


    2)Trident SLBM's can deliever multiple warheads . You can target it only via S-500 ? I mean S-400 , or Naval SAM's or A-235 isn't successful in neutralising it ? How Trident differs from Bulava ?

    3) SM-3 can shoot down only Ballistic Missiles ( non-maneuverable only ) . It's latest version SM-6 is also same . They can shoot down non-maneuverable ( predicted flight path) SRBM's , MRBM's , IRBM's .See the image below . But not Iksander's .


    (I've a  pdf on Aegis BMD , if anyone is interested just ping me .) What a Face



    GarryB wrote:

    The main difference is that the US systems based in Europe or the Arctic ocean is near the launch positions of Russian Missiles and therefore will engage individual missiles and warhead buses before warheads are deployed.
    The Russian systems are in Russia... so are deployed around the target and therefore have to deal with warheads and decoys... potentially thousands instead of hundreds.Being able to base S-500s in say Canada would make their potential capability orders of magnitude better... obviously not an issue however.S-500 should be able to intercept 7km/s targets, which means most SLBMs and ICBMs.AFAIK the only operational and fully tested ABM system in the world currently operates around Moscow, as it has done for decades.


    Well Russia can easily  deploy  defenses on it's Artic Base near north pole which will help russia to target american nukes at intermediate stage perhaps .  Garry 7km/s means Mach 20.5 . So Trident SLBM's or any american ICBM's coming with greater speed ( more than mach 20 ) can't be intercepted ? As I asked above Btw How fast an American nuke can go( via SLBM or ICBM or HGV ) ? It's top speed ?


    Viktor wrote:

    S-500 is designed  specially with hypersonic Mach 20-25 at 30-100 km altitude in mind among other.

    ah! thanks for the clarification , i thought it can't intercept beyond  7km/s . Btw an ICBM can attain maximum speed = 11.5 Km/s ( which is also called as Escape Velocity isn't it ? )
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16054
    Points : 16685
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  GarryB on Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:16 pm

    Now S-500 can hit targets upto 7km/s which roughly means Mach 20.57 . So any ICBM above Mach 20 can go past russian defense ? Btw How fast an American nuke delievery vehicle can go ? Top speed ?

    there are very few ICBMs and no SLBMs whose warheads enter the earths atmosphere at more than Mach 20 and the vast majority rapidly decellerate as they enter the atmosphereand would become vulnerable.

    the Early model S-500 is designed to engage 7km/s targets... newer models will no doubt be designed to engage any actual threat the US or China manages to put into service.

    2)Trident SLBM's can deliever multiple warheads . You can target it only via S-500 ? I mean S-400 , or Naval SAM's or A-235 isn't successful in neutralising it ? How Trident differs from Bulava ?

    Trident should be interceptable by A-135 and A-235 and likely also S-400 as well.


    Well Russia can easily deploy defenses on it's Artic Base near north pole which will help russia to target american nukes at intermediate stage perhaps . Garry 7km/s means Mach 20.5 . So Trident SLBM's or any american ICBM's coming with greater speed ( more than mach 20 ) can't be intercepted ? As I asked above Btw How fast an American nuke can go( via SLBM or ICBM or HGV ) ? It's top speed ?

    The advantage will always be with the attacker as there will likely be rather more ICBMs and SLBMs than S-500s or SM-6s.

    the whole point of weapons of mass destruction is that they not be stoppable... once one side... Russia or the US believe they could stop enough of the enemies weapons to make it survivable the likelyhood of WWIII suddenly becomes MUCH more likely... that is a bad thing.

    Back in 1972 everyone realised that ABMs were bad because they undermined MAD and MAD is the only think that kept either side from starting WWIII.

    Today of course we are all dumb fucks thanks to our pointless copy and paste media that writes what the government wants them to write and they want to spend money on an ABM system they will tell the American people will keep them safe... it wont. It will actually make them much much less safe... especially when Russia withdraws from INF and new START treaties and starts producing nukes by the thousand with the support of their new breeder reactors...

    Btw an ICBM can attain maximum speed = 11.5 Km/s ( which is also called as Escape Velocity isn't it ? )

    If it did it would not return to earth and it will either enter earths orbit or leave earth for good.

    Most ICBMs do not hit the ground at anything like their top speed and most ICBMs attain a reentry speed of about 7km/s... recognise that speed? Wonder why the intercept speed of the S-500 was set to 7km/s? Smile


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5669
    Points : 6318
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  Viktor on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:40 pm

    max steel wrote:
    Viktor wrote:

    S-500 is designed  specially with hypersonic Mach 20-25 at 30-100 km altitude in mind among other.

    ah! thanks for the clarification , i thought it can't intercept beyond  7km/s . Btw an ICBM can attain maximum speed = 11.5 Km/s ( which is also called as Escape Velocity isn't it ? )

    For instance, check this out

    http://www.fighter-planes.com/jetmach1.htm

    speed of sound changes with altitude meaning 7000km/sec at 18km altitude is not as same as on the ground level. Meaning 7000km/sec at 30km altitude is approx. Mach 25.

    Vann7
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3417
    Points : 3535
    Join date : 2012-05-16

    Russia already have in service anti ICBM defenses..

    Post  Vann7 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:44 am

    Russia already have in service anti ICBM defenses..

    A- 135 and A-235 can do it..  






    Russia also is not only working with S-500..
    but with Electromagnetic weapons/counter electronic weapons , that can disable /shutdown/Burn
    any ICBM before enters in Russia.. that will be a really game changer thing. also can be used
    against US satellites.. which hover at 30km altitude. But so far apparently the system is still under development..  If Russia leave the space treaty as they should do.. it will be even easier..
    they just move their already in service Electromagnetic warfare and deploy it on orbit in space and will blind any ICBM guidance system ,so it will lose communication and will be blinded.. and could end missing completely its target by hundreds of km or simply to not detonate if its electronics are burned.

    i cannot advertise enough Russia electronic warfare system... If what they claim is half
    truth.. or even 10%.. as good as they say.. it will truly revolutionize future wars.. Imagine a land based huge electromagnetic gun ,that aim at ICBM and shut them down/fry its electronics before it even get close to Russia? Shocked  Such a gun will totally make Obsolete any kind of
    modern warfare that NATO use . Is mind blowing only the idea that Russia is even developing something to shut down in space satellites using electronic warfare.

    Im already amazed at the videos of helicopters deflecting projectiles is crazy good to be true just using counter electronics.. if such things are possible at lower level.. it have to be possible at larger distance.. an ICBM is just a huge rocket grenade with lots of modern sensors and electronics and huge engine and and multi nuclear warhead system.  But here is the thing.. it use electricity to operate.. without a battery and electronics it cannot work..  If you can induce somehow a very powerful magnetic field around an ICBM.. by law of physics that electricity will not work at all. The electrons flowing through circuits will simply behave is a different way..and even provoke a short circuit.. because magnetism generate an electric field. This is Basic Physics.. but to create practical weapons with that that operates at very large distance is not a small thing..

    it was Tesla who told ,that if people could control the magnetic field of earth ,they could split the earth in many parts. So anyone who could master electromagnetism could easily induce a lethal
    electric charge like a lighting at long distance..in any flying thing.. plane or missile..  and destroy it.. Cool    a weapon like that will have no problem in dealing with Massive waves of Missiles attacks .. they simply will stop working.. as soon cross an invisible magnetic shield..Something traditional air defenses cant do.

    Imagine Russian borders armed with just Counter Electronic field stations.. (instead of S-300s or S-400s or even S-500s )  that automatically shutdown anything flying across Russian borders.. and that can be disabled in time of peace or enable in time of war. that create a magnetic field around a large city.. ..without human interference.  No cruise missiles will pass ,neither ICBMs. unless they developed without electronics at all.. and using a totally different field like photons ,instead of electrons for transmission of energy.

    I really hope Russia success in this amazing field of physics. Such weapons are at a whole new level in technology , only seen in movies.. even if all that Russia defense industry manage with their electronics weapons is to interrupt communications between remote controlled weapons ,guided missiles ,it will be really useful to block the guidance of any long range weapon like cruise missiles and ICBM.. extremely useful . It will make Obsolete any weapons that is fired beyond visual range. and force battles to be done at visual distance. This will also end the advantage of stealth technology if missiles of a plane cannot hit anything beyond visual range.
    it will force Air combats to dogfights with cannons.. and wars fought at old school artillery like world war 1. Cool
    avatar
    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2980
    Points : 3012
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  max steel on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:15 am

    Garry someone mentioned it that A-135 and A-235 are mot meant to intercept icbm's and only with S-500 in service Russia will become first ever country to intercept both ICBMs and Hypersonic gliders? I know american Ground Base Interceptors are a joke even proved also.

    So is it true currently russia is defenceless against icbms ?


    ICBMs travel at 7.2 km/s ? S-500 is meant to hit targets with speed upto 7.2 km/s ?

    Can an icbm travel with maximum velocity= earth's escape velocity of 11.2km/s ?
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16054
    Points : 16685
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  GarryB on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:30 pm

    Garry someone mentioned it that A-135 and A-235 are mot meant to intercept icbm's

    They were based around Moscow... what were they supposed to intercept?

    Recon balloons?

    and only with S-500 in service Russia will become first ever country to intercept both ICBMs and Hypersonic gliders? I know american Ground Base Interceptors are a joke even proved also.

    The US had an ABM system around an ICBM field... it was open for a day and then closed.

    The only operational ABM system ever developed and deployed and upgraded and tested to this day is the system around Moscow.

    So is it true currently russia is defenceless against icbms ?

    Every "country" is defenceless against ICBMs. Moscow has protection from a limited attack.

    ICBMs travel at 7.2 km/s ? S-500 is meant to hit targets with speed upto 7.2 km/s ?

    Do you think that is an accident?

    Can an icbm travel with maximum velocity= earth's escape velocity of 11.2km/s ?

    An ICBM that achieves earths escape velocity leaves earths orbit and orbits the sun... ie it becomes a space craft, not an ICBM.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2980
    Points : 3012
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  max steel on Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:26 pm

    GarryB wrote:
    Garry someone mentioned it that A-135 and A-235 are mot meant to intercept icbm's

    They were based around Moscow... what were they supposed to intercept?

    Recon balloons?

    See this thread : http://www.russiadefence.net/t3431p660-s-400-500-news-russian-strategic-air-defense

    Magnurm's coment : A-135 was completely replaced by A-235, and the A-135 was hardly a true deterrent against ICBM's (unlike the S-500), it was a point-blank defense to buy enough time to fire nukes back at NATO as well allowing the Soviet Politburo to hide in bunkers.


    and only with S-500 in service Russia will become first ever country to intercept both ICBMs and Hypersonic gliders? I know american Ground Base Interceptors are a joke even proved also.


    The US had an ABM system around an ICBM field... it was open for a day and then closed.

    The only operational ABM system ever developed and deployed and upgraded and tested to this day is the system around Moscow.

    So they don't have abms around any major city except Washington D.C.



    ICBMs travel at 7.2 km/s ? S-500 is meant to hit targets with speed upto 7.2 km/s ?


    Do you think that is an accident?

    What do you mean?

    7.2km/s is Mach 21.5 and ICBM's impact speed is upto 7km/s(US).


    But you said previously that Russia can intercept SLBM's . But i just checked Trident D5 terminal phase speed is 8,060 m/s which means 8.06 km/s. So by calculations SLBM interception is not yet feasible for any Russia defense system? or Russia plan is to intercept Trident SLBM's midway before entering the terminal phase? Explain please.


    Bulava's terminal phase speed , any idea?

    ( PS:- I'm taking limited nuclear exchange scenario in picture not MAD scenario )
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16054
    Points : 16685
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  GarryB on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:16 am

    Magnurm's coment : A-135 was completely replaced by A-235, and the A-135 was hardly a true deterrent against ICBM's (unlike the S-500), it was a point-blank defense to buy enough time to fire nukes back at NATO as well allowing the Soviet Politburo to hide in bunkers.

    So how exactly would the A-135 or A-235 actually give those on the ground more time... other than actually shooting down incoming ICBM warheads?

    ABMs don't work as a deterrent... suddenly the US wont wake up one morning and realise there are ABM missiles around Moscow and suddenly decide not to bother firing ICBMs as Moscow.


    So they don't have abms around any major city except Washington D.C.

    No... I am talking about the 1972 ABM treaty... the Soviets built and have maintained an ABM system around Moscow, while the US built one around one of their ICBM fields but closed it before it became fully operational.

    The US is working on an ABM system to protect all of the US, but that is based in Alaska... and is not really fully operational and would not be effective agaisnt a full nuclear strike from Russia.


    But you said previously that Russia can intercept SLBM's . But i just checked Trident D5 terminal phase speed is 8,060 m/s which means 8.06 km/s. So by calculations SLBM interception is not yet feasible for any Russia defense system? or Russia plan is to intercept Trident SLBM's midway before entering the terminal phase? Explain please.

    Let me put it this way... what do you think S-500 is for?

    Re entry speed is largely dependent on missile range, so a 500km range ballistic missile might come in at mach7 or mach 8. Missiles with flight ranges of 500km to 5,500km are classed as IRBMs so the US wont have any... based on this information the S-400 with its capacity to intercept targets flying at 4.8km/s should stop anything the US has except ICBMs and SLBMs... I say again... with a performance a level above what do you think the S-500 is being developed for?

    I will tell you.

    ICBMs... SLBMs... Satellites.

    When warheads reenter the atmosphere they slow down...


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2980
    Points : 3012
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  max steel on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:32 am

    if a-235 and 135 can shoot down ICBM's ( limited attack) and ofcourse SLBMs also because they are nothing but sea launched icbms then why Russia is building S-500? Because S-500 will be mobile thats why ? Meanwhile A-235/135 are immobile ?



    I guess Russia already posses weapons to destroy US recon satellites or any fancy space potent stuff.




    US has its Ground Based Interceptors ( GBI) in Alaska and Guam but these GBI's ( US answer to ICBM's) are terrible.


    Ohk got your point so terminal and re-entry speeds are two different things . What is Bulava's terminal speed? any idea? French SLBM M51 has Mach 25 speed. They tested it recently on 30th September 2015
    avatar
    Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5362
    Points : 5601
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  Werewolf on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:10 pm

    max steel wrote:if a-235 and 135 can shoot down ICBM's ( limited attack) and ofcourse SLBMs also because they are nothing but sea launched icbms then why Russia is building S-500? Because S-500 will be mobile thats why ? Meanwhile A-235/135 are immobile ?



    I guess Russia already posses weapons to destroy US recon satellites or any fancy space potent stuff.




    US has its Ground Based Interceptors ( GBI) in Alaska and Guam but these GBI's ( US answer to ICBM's) are terrible.


    Ohk got your point so terminal and re-entry speeds are two different things . What is Bulava's terminal speed? any idea? French SLBM M51 has Mach 25 speed. They tested it recently on 30th September 2015

    Because by treaty, dedicated immobile ABM shields are prohibited to be used in mass, to assure MAD. So both sides were forced by their compromise of treaty to protect only one location/city with that system. S-400/500 does not fall under that treaty, the US would like to have it there, but the US is the one that broke every treaty that mentions nuclear weapons or programms. They spread ABM and Nuclear technology, they have deployed ABM shield in europe and tactical nukes in europe (Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Turkey) while Russia so far hasn't breeched any of those treaties. If anyone it would be Russia that actually could overcome those treaties and field ABM in mass to lift the MAD to a destruction of US and entire NATO, while assuring survival of their own country. (survival =/= unharmed)
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16054
    Points : 16685
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Garry someone mentioned it that A-135 and A-235 are mot meant to intercept icbm's

    Post  GarryB on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:52 am

    if a-235 and 135 can shoot down ICBM's ( limited attack) and ofcourse SLBMs also because they are nothing but sea launched icbms then why Russia is building S-500? Because S-500 will be mobile thats why ? Meanwhile A-235/135 are immobile ?

    A-135 and A-235 are silo based and are enormous... and amazingly fast.

    For protecting fixed positions they are fine.

    S-500 is for protecting strategic things at short notice and for protecting things that might move... like an aircraft carrier... or you might send some to the Crimea to protect it for instance.

    I guess Russia already posses weapons to destroy US recon satellites or any fancy space potent stuff.

    Any country that can put a satellite in any orbit can shoot down a satellite... just launch a satellite in the opposite orbit to the orbit of the existing satellite you want to destroy.

    What is Bulava's terminal speed?

    No idea I am afraid.

    7km/s is mach 21 or so but I suspect as fast as new missiles land faster the S-500 will be upgraded to defeat them...

    The whole concept of mutually assured destruction is a good thing and has kept the peace for decades.

    effective ABM systems will ruin this and are a very bad thing... those idiot americans however can't see this and want to feel safe... even though nothing can make them safe really.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2980
    Points : 3012
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  max steel on Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:07 pm

    Russian Aerospace Capabilities, Warning Systems to Provide Security by 2021

    The capabilities of intelligence and warning systems will provide for the timely warning of an airspace attack, according to the head of Russia’s Aerospace General Staff.

    Russian Aerospace Forces’ intelligence capabilities and its early missile attack warning systems will provide for the country’s security and response decision-making by 2021, the head of Russia’s Aerospace General Staff said Monday.

    “The capabilities of intelligence systems and warning systems of aerospace enemy attacks will provide for the timely warning of an aerospace attack with the goal of making a decision on responsive actions, including the use of strategic nuclear forces,” Lt.-Gen. Pavel Kurachenko said.
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16054
    Points : 16685
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  GarryB on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:14 am

    Regarding weapons that can hit satellites... that would be S-500 and of course who are you going to blame for its existance... it was the unilateral withdrawl by the US that made the S-500 possible... they had nothing like that planned or could be planned at the time.

    Now they have road mobile A-235s and soon S-500s to shoot down US satellites.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    Isos
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Posts : 650
    Points : 654
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  Isos on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:46 am

    GarryB wrote:Regarding weapons that can hit satellites... that would be S-500 and of course who are you going to blame for its existance... it was the unilateral withdrawl by the US that made the S-500 possible... they had nothing like that planned or could be planned at the time.

    Now they have road mobile A-235s and soon S-500s to shoot down US satellites.

    wikipedia wrote:MiG-31D[edit]

    Two aircraft were designated as Type 31D and were manufactured as dedicated anti-satellite models with ballast in the nose instead of radars, flat fuselage undersurface (i.e. no recessed weapon system bays) and had large winglets above and below the wing-tips. Equipped with Vympel ASAT missiles.[72]

    wikipedia wrote:Russia[edit]

    The successful flight test of Russia’s direct ascent anti-satellite missile, known as Nudol, took place Nov. 18, 2015, according to defense officials familiar with reports of the test.[16]

    Mig 31 is ready t shoot them too Twisted Evil
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1495
    Points : 1533
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:14 pm

    GarryB wrote:Regarding weapons that can hit satellites... that would be S-500 and of course who are you going to blame for its existance... it was the unilateral withdrawl by the US that made the S-500 possible... they had nothing like that planned or could be planned at the time.

    Now they have road mobile A-235s and soon S-500s to shoot down US satellites.


    True but article main topic was

    Technology, allowing to hit targets in space from submarines are being developed in Russia, said

    S-500 on subs?
    avatar
    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2980
    Points : 3012
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  max steel on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:42 pm

    Thaad-er is similar to s-500 in operational range atleast.
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16054
    Points : 16685
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  GarryB on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:22 am

    Mig 31 is ready t shoot them too

    AFAIK they stopped that system, though it had potential it did violate the 1972 ABM treaty.

    Of course now they are developing S-500, A-235, and other missiles able to reach satellites it just makes sense to have an air launched weapon too... a Mach 4.2 Mig-41 would be the ideal platform too... Smile

    True but article main topic was

    Technology, allowing to hit targets in space from submarines are being developed in Russia, said

    S-500 on subs?

    The question is what does the S-500 look like... if it is the same or similar size to S-300P/F then it could be loaded into Poliment Redut and most new Russian ships can carry it... and with lock on after launch capability it could easily be fitted to subs too.

    Subs are currently very vulnerable to air power like MPAs, but the lock on after launch technology being developed for Morfei and the lock on after launch capability of ARH missiles like 9M96 would be very potent against MPAs and helos as well as UAVs...

    And the ability to covertly send a sub to a region of the earth to fire anti satellite missiles before they pass over a sensitive region could be very useful to Russia.

    Thaad-er is similar to s-500 in operational range atleast.

    I haven't seen any range figures for THAAD ER...


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian Space Forces: News Thread

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:01 pm