Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+41
Podlodka77
mnrck
Mindstorm
Arrow
lyle6
kvs
mnztr
The-thing-next-door
LMFS
tomazy
Azi
jhelb
Singular_Transform
owais.usmani
dino00
Hole
PapaDragon
hoom
saynow
miketheterrible
JohninMK
AlfaT8
Isos
Project Canada
Cyberspec
George1
max steel
artjomh
magnumcromagnon
Big_Gazza
chicken
Mike E
Vann7
IronsightSniper
TR1
KRATOS1133
Admin
Viktor
GarryB
Austin
coolieno99
45 posters

Kalibr missile system

coolieno99
    coolieno99

Kalibr missile system Empty Re: Kalibr missile system

Post  coolieno99 30/09/10, 07:09 am

CGI video showing various cruise missiles.

Austin

Post  Austin 10/07/11, 06:37 pm

The Russian Navy Chief confirmed the range of Kalbir/klub missile system is 2000 km far cry from export version of 220 and less then 300 km.

http://vpk.name/news/54672_gosti_morskogo_salona_v_peterburge_uvideli_korabli_budushego.html

The next object of attention of the guests was a small patrol corvette project 20 382 "Tiger", who enjoys well-deserved attention from foreign customers. Project 20380 corvettes same type of "quick-witted" and "Guarding" successfully introduced into the Russian Navy, said of the next commander in chief of the layout of the Navy Vladimir Vysotsky. Now fifth ship of this series, but the project 20385, is now being built, and it will be found not only tactical nuclear weapons, and antiaircraft complex long-range strike system "Caliber" range of up to two thousand kilometers, he added.

"Also, it established an integrated opto-mast. It will be entirely on the active phase shifter, with the scanning signal and the vertical and horizontal, and the primary processing of approximately 500 targets and the order of several tens to a secondary treatment target designation for other ships.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 10/07/11, 11:39 pm

That is very interesting...

The thing is that the Kalibr or sometimes Calibr system the 3M14 or land attack subsonic missile in the Club family.

A range of 2,000km is no great surprise for this system as that particular missile is the same size as the SS-N-21 before it.

This weapon makes the ships fitted with the USUK launchers that much more flexible and powerful.

The thing is if the subsonic land attack model Club has a range of 2,000km in the domestic model then you have to wonder if the range of the subsonic anti ship and supersonic anti ship models also have much longer range in their domestic versions.

Equally you might wonder about the difference in range performance between Brahmos and Yakhont and the domestic Onix.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Kalibr missile system Empty Air Launched Klub

Post  Cyberspec 02/09/11, 10:38 pm

Three Russian companies' Morinformsystem-Agat, NPP Radar MMS and Ilyushin, signed an agreement on establishing air launched missile system with the  IL-76 as the carrier reports "Interfax". The missile mentioned is the Klub-K which will be modified into an air launched version. This is a private initiative of the mentioned companies who hope later to attract interest from the Min. of Defence

http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/6889/?PHPSESSID=7139fc2cd199df14721fc86a1319a605

P.S.

found a report in English

Russia to Offer Klub Air-Launched Missile Version
    http://www.forecastinternational.com/abstract.cfm?recno=190229
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 02/09/11, 11:01 pm

They have shown a mockup of a missile with a Mig-35 I believe...

Will have a look.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor 02/09/11, 11:05 pm

MIG-35 and Su-35 too. I thought it was a done thing.

Missile like that not having air-launch capabilities has severally degraded export potential.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 02/09/11, 11:11 pm

Kalibr missile system 2eg4gh10

The 3M14AE weapon depicted above.

Kalibr missile system Mig-3510

And the large weapon on the inner pylon above.

Now I realise these are a drawing and a model, but I have photos from an airshow somewhere with the 3M14AE sitting near the Mig-35, and I also remember seeing a video about the mig-35 or the Club showing a Mig-35 launching the weapon... I remember because it was strange because the missile itself is inside a very large launch tube and on release the missile flys out of the falling tube.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Kalibr missile system Empty Air Launched Klub

Post  Cyberspec 02/09/11, 11:13 pm

There are ship and submarine launched versions. It's too heavy to be carried by a fighter.

The K version is the camouflaged container version which they want to mount onto a Il-76

Arrow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjRfWDTk1mY
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 02/09/11, 11:40 pm

In fact here is a mockup in front of a Mig-29SMT.

Kalibr missile system 1910

Now I know it would be more impressive if I have a picture of a 3M54AE... like this:

Kalibr missile system 16710

Of course the article you posted is worth all the mockups in the world... I could make a mockup.

Knowing they are going to flight test them in the next few years is interesting and more useful than all the photos of mockups I can find... Smile
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 03/09/11, 09:11 pm

It is quit a bit smaller than Brahmos so its size doesn't preclude it from air launch. MoD doesn't like them because they are unreliable and inaccurate.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec 03/09/11, 11:40 pm

Yes, but we're talking about the Club-K which is larger and much heavier than the Club-A (air launched version).

The Brahmos is yet to be integrated on the Su-30MKI. It will require some strengthening of the airframe and a special launcher. Not all MKI's will be modified to this standard, so you can't really strap on a Brahmos on just any fighter....I've also heard rumours (not sure if confirmed) that it might be a safety issue for the Su-30 to land with a Brahmos strapped on.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Kalibr missile system Empty Russian Air Launched Cruise missiles

Post  GarryB 04/09/11, 02:44 pm

Have seen a video of the Su-34 launching a Yakhont, which is 2.5 tons... and that is as heavy as any model of Club.
    The Moskit was also designed to be centreline carried and launched from Flanker sized aircraft and it was 4.5 tons in the air launched version.

The Club-K is the mockup posted above and is intended to be carried by Su-35.

The Club, or Klub family includes 5 different missiles and they are the:

3M-54E - Anti-shipping variant, Basic length 8.22 m, with a 200 kg warhead. Range is 200 km. Sea-skimmer with supersonic terminal speed and flight altitude of 15 feet (4.6 m) at final stage(2.9 mach).[2]

3M-54E1 - Anti-shipping variant, Basic length 6.2 m, with a 400 kg warhead. Range is 300 km. Sea-skimmer with subsonic terminal speed(0.8 mach). Allegedly capable of disabling or even sinking an aircraft carrier.[3]

3M-14E - Inertial guidance land attack variant. Basic length 6.2 m, with a 400 kg warhead. Range is 275 km. Subsonic terminal speed(0.8 mach).

91RE1 - Submarine launched anti-submarine variant, with an anti-submarine torpedo. Basic length 8.0 m, with a range of 50 km. Supersonic speed. The torpedo has a warhead weight of 76 kg. This, along with the 91RE2, are similar to the American ASROC/SUBROC missile/torpedo system. Follows a ballistic path into the surface, speed is 2.5 mach.

91RE2 - Ballistically launched anti-submarine variant, with an anti-submarine torpedo. Basic length 6.5 m, with a range of 40 km Supersonic speed. The torpedo has a warhead weight of 76 kg. For surface ship use only. The lightest of all variants, with a launch weight of 1300 kg. Speed is 2 mach.

The mockup in my previous post shows the 3M-54AE positioned below a poster of a Su-35, which is a member of the Klub or Club family, as is the 3M14AE in front of the Mig-29SMT.

The 3M14AE in many ways is just a Harpoon with a much heavier warhead.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec 05/09/11, 03:36 pm

The domestic LR Club which BTW is called Kalibr, comes in a version with a 2000km range. I doubt very much that can be launched from a fighter sized aircraft (including the Su-34)
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 05/09/11, 03:46 pm

Moskit is the air launched version of the SS-N-22 Sunburn and was 9 metres long and weighed in at 4.5 tons.

The Kh-55 had a range of 2,500km and was less than 2 tons, so unless this new missile has a very heavy conventional warhead that takes it up past the weight of Moskit it could be carried by the Su-34.

The issue of course would be that it would only carry one, and the Su-34s would have other duties than to launch cruise missiles.

Will be interesting to see what the modification of the Il-76 would be to allow them to carry and launch cruise missiles.

Rather than hang them under the wings which creates drag and reduces lift, and immediately screams to the world that it is a cruise missile carrier rather than a transport aircraft I wonder if they might have some sort of internal carriage arrangement... either roll the missiles out the rear with parachutes which could be cut a few seconds after they leave the aircraft to ensure they get clear and then fire up a solid rocket booster to regain speed, or if they intend a more radical arrangement with an opening in the floor to allow missiles to be simply dropped and launched with some sort of automated rack missile handling system to manouver the missiles above the open hatch and throw them down into the slipstream clear of the aircraft...
    KRATOS1133
    KRATOS1133

Kalibr missile system Empty 3M-54E Club-S

Post  KRATOS1133 17/09/11, 10:56 pm

coolieno99
    coolieno99

Kalibr missile system Empty Kalibr missile system

Post  coolieno99 11/11/11, 04:26 pm

Club-S missile animation

TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 10/12/11, 12:24 am

What I want to know is if Clubs with the supersonic final stage are going to be procured, and the range possible with them. Very potent weapon.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Kalibr missile system Empty What I want to know is if Clubs with the supersonic final stage are going to be procured, and the range possible with them. Very potent weapon.

Post  GarryB 10/12/11, 09:22 am

Well if the Klubs for export have a range of 220km and 300km for the subsonic and supersonic versions respectively, and the 300km range Klub in Russian service has a range of 2,000km, then I would suspect that the supersonic missile would have a range on the order of 1,000-1,200km or so.

The problem of course is the fact that a subsonic missile with a range of that magnitude will have problems with a moving target such as a ship.

Of course if you give it a satellite link that updates it in real time about the targets location then the problem is solved to a degree, and in terms of a solution having a long range missile with a terminal attack speed of mach 2.9 at low level is quite impressive performance.

It simply makes a carrier a necessary component of any naval force as long range detection via AWACS and outer ring protection of a combat air patrol become vital in dealing with such a threat.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 07/01/12, 01:28 am

3M-14E land attack missile launch from aircraft what range will have?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 07/01/12, 08:15 am

For export it will have the magic range of 300km... because of MTCR. (Missile Technology Control Regime).

For domestic use it has been reported to have a range of something like 2,000km for the surface launched model. The subsonic all the way missile that is.

With an air launched model range could be 2,000-2,500km depending on the launch height and speed.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 07/01/12, 08:34 am

2,000-2,500km it sounds too much
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 07/01/12, 09:04 am

It does, I agree, but it is not some fantasy I have made up.

A Russian official stated that the range of the missiles is 2,000km... and it is the missile type the Russian Navy seems to have decided to use.

From corvette right up to carrier and everything in between will likely carry this missile family in UKSK vertical launch tubes.

The missile itself has lots of names... I have seen it being called Club, Klub, and Calibr (often with a letter denoting whether it is ship or sub or air launched.

As a standard land attack cruise missile for the Navy I would expect a reasonable flight range.

I rather suspect they also will use the Kh-101 as I have seen range figures for cruise missiles by navy officials for ships and subs as being 5,000km and also as 2,000km.

Now knowing the range performance of most Russian missiles the only weapons that fit these specs are the Kh-101, and the Club/Klub/Calibr respectively.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 07/01/12, 11:29 pm

GarryB wrote:It does, I agree, but it is not some fantasy I have made up.

A Russian official stated that the range of the missiles is 2,000km... and it is the missile type the Russian Navy seems to have decided to use.

From corvette right up to carrier and everything in between will likely carry this missile family in UKSK vertical launch tubes.

The missile itself has lots of names... I have seen it being called Club, Klub, and Calibr (often with a letter denoting whether it is ship or sub or air launched.

As a standard land attack cruise missile for the Navy I would expect a reasonable flight range.

I rather suspect they also will use the Kh-101 as I have seen range figures for cruise missiles by navy officials for ships and subs as being 5,000km and also as 2,000km.

Now knowing the range performance of most Russian missiles the only weapons that fit these specs are the Kh-101, and the Club/Klub/Calibr respectively.

Ι think that Kh-101 maybe be fitted to larger warships like Kirovs or project 21956 destroyers. For smaller ships, stereguschy, gorshkov, i think 3M-14E meets the requirements.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 08/01/12, 12:07 pm

Ι think that Kh-101 maybe be fitted to larger warships like Kirovs or project 21956 destroyers. For smaller ships, stereguschy, gorshkov, i think 3M-14E meets the requirements.

I totally agree, in fact I think the main user of Kh-101 at sea will be submarines.

In a carrier battlegroup the Kirovs might have a few land attack cruise missiles fitted, but it will also likely carry a significant number of supersonic anti ship missiles too.

Corvette sized vessels even though fitted with UKSK launchers and Redut SAM launchers will likely not carry long range land attack missiles or 400km range SAMs operationally even if their launchers are compatible.

Of course a radar picket vessel has traditionally been a very dangerous role allocated to smaller more expendible vessels, so a tiny corvette armed with 32 x 400km range SAMs would be an interesting prospect.

The Russian Navy has developed a C4IR system that shares air, sea surface and under sea information between ships... very much like AEGIS, but fitted to ships and subs so they can share info from all sorts of sources including subs, ships, aircraft, and satellites.

This means a corvette that would normally have weak air defence, could be loaded up with 400km range SAMs and be fed target data from a range of other platforms, so while an old corvette unable to see much past a very small radar horizon (because it is a small vessel its mast mounted radar is not up very high so it can't see very far), new corvettes with Sigma will be able to carry and use very long range weapons.

Obviously for land attack cruise missiles it makes more sense to send a sub than a corvette, but I think very occasionally as a radar picket, or indeed as a SAM trap it might make sense to sometimes arm a Corvette with the big stuff.
    IronsightSniper
    IronsightSniper

Post  IronsightSniper 16/01/12, 06:02 pm

That would be doubtful. Unless the Russians somehow got a missile to have x2 more range at the same size, putting the 40N6E's on a corvette's VLS would be wish.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 28/03/24, 11:56 pm