Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Mining Industry of Russia

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Mining Industry of Russia

Post  TR1 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:17 pm

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2012/0917/Russia-reveals-shiny-state-secret-It-s-awash-in-diamonds

Can't be bad for the economy right Smile ?

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Mining Industry of Russia

Post  flamming_python on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:26 pm

This could be it TR1, the big break we've been waiting for. Now we just need to get to da choppa!! and get to the crater first and we'll have diamonds, diamonds beyond our wildest dreams!!! And it's all mi... I mean ours, it's all ours... yes...

Zivo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Zivo on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:24 pm

How was this kept a secret during the 90's?

ricky123
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  ricky123 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:56 pm

it was discovered in the 70s . but it cant be used for jewels ,, but still a good boomer for economy

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:41 am

Actually I remember reading about a speculation that the Russians had rather more diamonds than they had let on in the late 1980s.

There was talk of their being large amounts available but not being exploited to avoid making the market price (which is very strictly controlled) of diamonds to collapse.

There was no mention of craters however... this is a very exciting find... just from a research point of view... was the object that impacted made of diamond material... I find it hard to believe they were created in the impact as from my limited knowledge about diamonds they are created from carbon over very long periods under great pressure.

Good news for industry.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:28 am

GarryB wrote:Actually I remember reading about a speculation that the Russians had rather more diamonds than they had let on in the late 1980s.

There was talk of their being large amounts available but not being exploited to avoid making the market price (which is very strictly controlled) of diamonds to collapse.

There was no mention of craters however... this is a very exciting find... just from a research point of view... was the object that impacted made of diamond material... I find it hard to believe they were created in the impact as from my limited knowledge about diamonds they are created from carbon over very long periods under great pressure.

Good news for industry.

You'd be amazed what a little extreme heat and pressure can do GarryB. I mean if they can make diamonds in the laboratory within relatively short amounts of time, I'm sure an asteroid would be able to do the trick too.

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:40 am

Zivo wrote:How was this kept a secret during the 90's?

Short answer - it wasn't. Here is a paper from the international expedition that went to that crater in 1997: http://geology.gsapubs.org/content/25/11/967.short

Of course, the Russians knew about it even earlier.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Diamonds (natural or man made) are hardest materials you can find, so they have important application in industry but as well as jewelry.

If I understand this correctly the ones found in syberia where 10 times hardness than others. Russia will probably make big money of it.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:44 am

Next Bond Movie... "Diamonds are forever 2"

Smile

BTW you are quite right FlammingPython... There would be plenty of energy in an asteroid impact... perhaps if the asteroid had not hit there there would be oil and coal, but a large asteroid impact turned it to diamond...

Imagine in 200 years where unscrupulous corporations start dragging asteroids out of the asteroid belt to ram them into planets to create mineral fields this way...

DeBeers shares perhaps dropped a little recently???

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:47 pm

GarryB wrote:Next Bond Movie... "Diamonds are forever 2"

Smile

BTW you are quite right FlammingPython... There would be plenty of energy in an asteroid impact... perhaps if the asteroid had not hit there there would be oil and coal, but a large asteroid impact turned it to diamond...

Imagine in 200 years where unscrupulous corporations start dragging asteroids out of the asteroid belt to ram them into planets to create mineral fields this way...

An interesting idea but only if the asteroids were already in orbit or on a very close fly-by and only need a little nudge. Otherwise you'd probably just spend more energy dragging them into position than it would take to create such a quantity of minerals completely artificially.

DeBeers shares perhaps dropped a little recently???

Wouldn't bet on it - they deal with jewelry-grade diamonds from what I hear. These ones though are pure industrial.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Why cant they use this diamond for jewelery ?

Coming close this discovery is the Shale Oil found at Bazhenov pretty big taking Russian reserves close to Saudi cant be bad for the economy.

Well guess what else the asteriod impact did in Siberia ..dig deeper and you will find Alien civilisation , UFO , Wizard Laughing

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:43 pm

An interesting idea but only if the asteroids were already in orbit or on a very close fly-by and only need a little nudge. Otherwise you'd probably just spend more energy dragging them into position than it would take to create such a quantity of minerals completely artificially.

Sorry... I was too subtle... the emphasis was on unscrupulous, because the payoff wouldn't be a crater filled with industrial grade diamonds, it would be a crater where your biggest rival company used to be... Smile

Why cant they use this diamond for jewelery ?

Different quality diamonds are used for different things... the flawless diamonds... which are actually chunks of diamond with significant distances between the flaws that allow a skilled jeweller to cut the diamond so that the flawed area is removed and you end up with an optically perfect diamond for jewellery.

Industrial diamonds are full of flaws, but flaws only matter for people who want pretty diamonds. For industrial use if you are making something out of a hard material like tungsten then obviously steel tools will make no impression on them. Using diamond based abrasive material means you can shape and create sharp edges on very hard materials. This is important when making machine tools that will be cutting steel or whatever... if they are made out of steel themselves they wont last very long or do a good job. Make them out of Tungsten carbide and they will last much longer and also do a much better job. You need diamond coated tools to make tungsten carbide tools... the diamond is usually in powdered form so the flaws in it don't matter.

Well guess what else the asteriod impact did in Siberia ..dig deeper and you will find Alien civilisation , UFO , Wizard

The 1908 Tunguska event is believed to have cause extensive damage, but no crater was found, so it was believed to exploded in the atmosphere. If it had hit the ground the damage would have been devastating, but the crater would have been fascinating too.

If it had hit the ground it might have caused a drop in temperatures for a few years like a mini ice age...

dino00
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Mining industry of Russia:

Post  dino00 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:18 pm

Russian geologists have discovered a large gold ore deposit in Yakutia.

According to experts, the deposit’s reserves amount to about 200 tons.

Geologists bumped into gold-rich Mount Rudnaya while they were prospecting for gold in the area.

Mount Rudnaya was last estimated for gold reserves in the early 2000s.

Experts knew that it was worth looking at after they assessed the content of gold and ore parameters.

The deposit will be put up for auction in three years.

Yakutia’s gold output amounted to 21.2 tons last year.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_02_19/Geologists-discovered-large-gold-ore-deposit-in-Yakutia/

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:38 am

According to the Russian Ministry of Natural Resources, the country has the second largest gold reserves in the world at 12,500 tonnes (over 400 million ounces).  Shocked 

From Russia With Gold

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:39 am

So Russia ranks no 1 in Oil and Gas reserves , No-2 in Gold , No-3 in Coal .........what other key reserves it hold in huge numbers ?

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:05 am

Austin wrote:So Russia ranks no 1 in Oil and Gas reserves , No-2 in Gold , No-3 in Coal .........what other key reserves it hold in huge numbers ?

Diamonds, but they are not terribly useful at the moment. Just a good "reserve" for the long term.
    Timber, huge reserves.

Oh and, land Wink .

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Natural resources

Post  Austin on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:21 am

Also largest reserves of Diamond

Diamond Mining in Russi

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:12 pm

Nice thumbsup

Russia signs deal to develop Zimbabwe’s major platinum mine

NationalRus
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  NationalRus on Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:11 am

Viktor wrote:Nice  thumbsup

lol zimbabwe, last time i read about zimbabwe ther inflation was weimar republic like, 95% unemployment, water system breakdown, cholera outbreak and people were starving on the streets

lets see if they can pay us, or "how" we will get paid

Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Mike E on Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:22 am

NationalRus wrote:

lol zimbabwe, last time i read about zimbabwe ther inflation was weimar republic like, 95% unemployment, water system breakdown, cholera outbreak and people were starving on the streets

If you knew anything about economics, you'd know that the future is what really counts.

NationalRus
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  NationalRus on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:40 am

Mike E wrote:
    NationalRus wrote:

If you knew anything about economics, you'd know that the future is what really counts.

well if read milton friedman and peter schiff, yeah the future counts, future for zimbabwe in ther curent economic devolopment form? not that bright

Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Mike E on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:51 am

They have decent mineral reserves, which when utilized, should be enough to get things going. - Read some Von Mises.

NationalRus
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  NationalRus on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:00 am

Mike E wrote:They have decent mineral reserves, which when utilized, should be enough to get things going. - Read some Von Mises.

they had them always, didnt help when you run your economy like north korea, friedman and ludwig von mises would turn in ther graves, not quite the liberterian economy, anyway as if i care, i only hope we will get paid good, they can starve further for all i care

Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Mike E on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:02 am

NationalRus wrote:
    Mike E wrote:They have decent mineral reserves, which when utilized, should be enough to get things going. - Read some Von Mises.

they had them always, didnt help when you run your economy like north korea, friedman and ludwig von mises would turn in ther graves, not quite the liberterian economy, anyway as if i care, i only hope we will get paid good, they can starve further for all i care

Like I said, they will need to utilize them unlike what they've done in the past. It could take a hundred years for all I care, but a start is a start. - Mises "of course" would turn in his grave, but he would at all other countries as well.

NationalRus
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  NationalRus on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:04 am

Mike E wrote:
    NationalRus wrote:

Like I said, they will need to utilize them unlike what they've done in the past. It could take a hundred years for all I care, but a start is a start. - Mises "of course" would turn in his grave, but he would at all other countries as well.

singapour and hongkong would give him some hope

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:42 pm

Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:42 pm