Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Share

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15465
    Points : 16172
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  GarryB on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:29 am

    Warheads don't explode by themselves... they need detonators to set them off.

    The most likely cause was propellent... either from torpedoes or missiles.

    When you see a T-72 turret get blown off that is the propellent exploding... when HE explodes (ie all the HE shells) it has a much more shattering effect and there is rather less left of the structure.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Sujoy
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

    Posts : 914
    Points : 1082
    Join date : 2012-04-02
    Location : India

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  Sujoy on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:02 pm

    runaway wrote:Has anyone any more information, is she raised yet and cause of explosion?
    Not much . The preliminary investigation has only ruled out sabotage .

    Two theories are doing the round as to what caused the accident . First , an error involving the loading of torpedoes might have caused the explosion on board . Second , an internal short circuit caused a massive fire inside the submarine .

    The complete incident report would only be submitted after the submarine is salvaged , so that means at least another 6 months . Global tenders for the salvage operation will probably be issued shortly .

    SSDD
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 19
    Points : 27
    Join date : 2013-10-26
    Location : Bharat

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  SSDD on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:09 am

    NickM wrote:In yet another case of blatant Indian spying , India managed to steal valuable technical information related to nuclear submarines from the US.

    http://nypost.com/2013/10/23/nj-contractor-admits-scamming-defense-department/
    Even if we steal, it does not matter at least to a country which used Napalm bombs in Vietnam or who planned to send a naval squadron or even planned to nuke us in 1971 war.

    runaway
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

    Posts : 351
    Points : 372
    Join date : 2010-11-12
    Location : Sweden

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  runaway on Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:31 pm

    So how long can a Kilo stay submerged without snorkling? Guess the air for crew will last only some 2 days?



    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15465
    Points : 16172
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  GarryB on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:24 am

    Old Kilos probably 4-5 days at 4knts.

    New Kilos probably 6-7 days.

    New Lada class with old batteries and no AIP is supposed to be 9 days, but 16 days with Lithium ion batteries and rather more with AIP.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Sujoy
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

    Posts : 914
    Points : 1082
    Join date : 2012-04-02
    Location : India

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  Sujoy on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:50 am

    Excerpt from Indian Navy's Board of Inquiry-led forensic analysis

    The catastrophic explosion on board the INS Sindhurakshak was caused by accidental detonation of a Novator 3M54E Klub-S ASCM. However, none of the torpedoes exploded .

    TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5840
    Points : 5892
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  TR1 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:55 am

    Sujoy wrote:Excerpt from Indian Navy's Board of Inquiry-led forensic analysis

    The catastrophic explosion on board the INS Sindhurakshak was caused by accidental detonation of a Novator 3M54E Klub-S ASCM.  However, none of the torpedoes exploded .

    How did they manage to accidently detonate a Klub?!?

    Sujoy
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

    Posts : 914
    Points : 1082
    Join date : 2012-04-02
    Location : India

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  Sujoy on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:59 am

    TR1 wrote:How did they manage to accidently detonate a Klub?!?

    The Klub-S ASCMs were acquired in the previous decade & were fast approaching the expiry dates of their technical service-lives & required upgradation . That wasn't done on time .

    Once the Kilo is salvaged maybe a few questions can be answered .

    There is no hurry though on the part of the Govt . Life in India is cheap and who cares if a few sailors lost their lives.


    TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5840
    Points : 5892
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  TR1 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:18 am

    Sounds like another government I know :/

    runaway
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

    Posts : 351
    Points : 372
    Join date : 2010-11-12
    Location : Sweden

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  runaway on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:17 am

    Well, an acsm shouldnt blow up even if it expired dates of their technical service-lives & required upgradation. Something might go wrong when launching or with flight, but the safety on the missiles should make it impossible to explode.
    I guess the Sub will be scrapped, once raised.


    Sujoy
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

    Posts : 914
    Points : 1082
    Join date : 2012-04-02
    Location : India

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  Sujoy on Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:14 am

    runaway wrote:Well, an acsm shouldnt blow up even if it expired dates of their technical service-lives & required upgradation. Something might go wrong when launching or with flight, but the safety on the missiles should make it impossible to explode.

    The cause of the blast is yet to be ascertained . As of now only a preliminary report has been filed .

    The detail report will be filed once the submarine is salvaged . Once the sub is lifted out of water , the board of inquiry committee will conduct the chemical analysis to ascertain the cause for the explosion after which the final report will be prepared .

    runaway wrote:I guess the Sub will be scrapped, once raised.

    Yes, it will have to be scrapped as it is said to be beyond repair .

    Resolve India, a subsidiary of the US-based Resolve Marine Group, has been awarded a $40 million contract to salvage the Kilo.

    runaway
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

    Posts : 351
    Points : 372
    Join date : 2010-11-12
    Location : Sweden

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  runaway on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:07 pm

    So Sujov is the sub raised yet and has the cause been official?


    Sujoy
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

    Posts : 914
    Points : 1082
    Join date : 2012-04-02
    Location : India

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  Sujoy on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:14 pm

    runaway wrote:So Sujov is the sub raised yet and has the cause been official?

    Yes . The submarine has been lifted from the harbor floor .

    http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/salvage-firm-lifts-stricken-sindhurakshak-off-mumbai-harbor-floor/1/365292.html

    The Naval Board of Inquiry has only now started the investigating process to ascertain the cause of the blasts that sunk the KILO .

    Sujoy
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

    Posts : 914
    Points : 1082
    Join date : 2012-04-02
    Location : India

    P 15 A - INS Kolkata

    Post  Sujoy on Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:09 pm

    Indian Navy launches INS Kolkata . Several shortcomings yet to be addressed .

    (a) Barak-8 still under development

    (b) Absence of a primary sensor to detect submarines

    ( c) Absence of a Long Range Towed Array Sonar

    (d) Concerns about supply of spare parts from Ukraine for the Zorya M36E gas turbine plants

    ( e) IN wanted a 100 mm Gun but got a 76mm gun


    http://www.ndtv.com/article/opinion/on-ins-kolkata-pm-is-only-partially-correct-576698

    It seems to me the silver linings are BRAHMOS and MF-STAR

    IDB
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 15
    Points : 31
    Join date : 2014-10-19
    Location : India

    Indian Navy looking for amphibious assault ship

    Post  IDB on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:07 pm

    RFI has following specifications

    (a) The length of the ship would be approx 200 m. Breadth is to be commensurate with the length and tonnage of the ship.

    (b) The draught of the ship is not to exceed 08 m.

    (c) The ship is expected to have an endurance of 45 days.

    (d) The ship is to have Diesel-Electric propulsion in either of the following configurations:-

    (i) Twin shaft configuration, with twin rudders and Fixed Pitch Propellers or,

    (ii) Shock graded podded propulsion.

    (e) The ship is to have a suitable well deck for amphibious operations. The ship would carry amphibious crafts like LCMs or LCACs and LCVPs on davits and should have capability to launch these crafts when underway.

    (f) The ship is expected to have a carriage of combat vehicles on one or more vehicle deck. This area should be adequate to embark Main Battle Tank (MBT), AAVs/BMP Class armoured vehicles and heavy trucks.

    (g) The ship would be equipped with a Point Defence Missile System, Close In Weapon System, Anti Torpedo Decoy system, Chaff System and HMGs/ LMGs. In addition, ship would have one E/ F band combined air and surface surveillance radar and one C/D band air surveillance radar. All of these would be buyer nominated equipment.

    (h) The ship is expected to carry army troops in addition to ship crew.

    (j) The ship should have capability of simultaneous operation by day/ night of Special Operation Helicopters and Large Helicopters (up to 35 tons).

    Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2789
    Points : 2853
    Join date : 2014-06-19
    Location : Bay Area, CA

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  Mike E on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:22 pm

    It would interesting if they spring for the Mistral... If Russia's are delivered, and prove themselves, I wouldn't be surprised if India would try and get a few... India seems to be collaborating with the French MIC a lot recently, with the Scorpene and Rafale deals, and this could be yet another score for France. 

    The other options AFAIK are the Spanish Juan Carlos and Dokdo, but there may be more.

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9424
    Points : 9916
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Indian Navy: News

    Post  George1 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:37 pm

    6 Made-in-India Submarines for Navy for 53,000 Crores

    New Delhi: The Defence Acquisition Council of India on Saturday cleared defence deals worth Rs. 80,000 crore. The deal includes the acquisition of six conventional submarines to augment the aging and depleted submarine fleet and two midget submarines -- also known as 'Swimmer Delivery Vehicles' - which are used for special operations.

    Following Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 'make in India' campaign and the overall policy to build and strengthen the fledgling Indian defence industry, all six boats will be made in Indian shipyards. The Indian Navy - the end users - will identify shipyards that can acquire the technology from foreign manufacturers and build the boats on schedule. The process of identifying the shipyards will be completed in the next two months. There are seven shipyards in India, including four government yards. The Indian exchequer will shell out an estimated Rs. 53,000 crore for the six boats.

    Clearing the procurement, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley said, "National security is of paramount concern for the government and all hurdles and bottlenecks in the procurement process should be addressed expeditiously."

    The midget submarines weigh less than 150 tons and are smaller than conventional submarines. They can carry between 8 to 24 fully armed commandos, who are ejected through the torpedo tubes some miles away from the target, from where they can swim towards their target, complete the mission and swim back; this is why they are also called 'Swimmer Delivery Vehicles'.

    Sources told NDTV that the six conventional submarines will have Air Independent Propulsion Systems which allow the boats to run the diesel engines underwater to charge ships' batteries, allowing them to stay underwater for longer durations. Besides, they will also have stealth features, which essentially mean that the boats will have greater ability to suppress noise.

    The Indian Navy will also get 12 more Dornier Aircraft. These will be built by the Bangalore based defence Public Sector Unit - Hindustan Aeronautic Limited - at a total cost of Rs. 1,850 crore. Dorniers are issued for maritime surveillance and the Navy has a fleet of 40 Dorniers.

    Apart from this, the Indian Army will also be buying the third generation Anti-Tank Guided Missiles from Israel. The 8000 Spike ATGM missiles and 300 launchers will come at a cost of Rs. 3,200 crore. The Army will also get about 360 odd Armoured Personnel Carriers built by the Ordinance Factory Board for about Rs. 2,000 crore.

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9424
    Points : 9916
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  George1 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:48 pm

    Indian Defense Minister Introduces New Naval Intelligence Network

    The new network will be controlled by the Indian Navy, while functioning under the Indian National Security Adviser (NSA).

    NEW DELHI, November 23 (Sputnik) — Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar has introduced the new naval intelligence network to track ships in real time on Sunday, and stated that the Navy "should strive to have zero tolerance for errors".

    "When I ask people why they allow a glass to fall out from their hands, they say it happens only once in one or two years. I ask, does it happen with a child in your hands? They say no. So we should strive to have zero tolerance towards the error," Parrikar said at the Inauguration of Central Hub of National Command Control Communications and Intelligence Network.

    Parrikar has also pointed out the gaps in coastal security at Karwar and Manglore on the western coast and has stressed on the need to bring them under coastal radars coverage.

    The new network will become the single point center interlinking the newly formed coastal radar chain. It will be controlled by the Indian Navy, while functioning under the Indian National Security Adviser.

    A series of initiatives to create a naval intelligence network came after the November 26, 2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai. The new project is aimed at boosting maritime and coastal security and bolstering multi-agency coordination. The main goal is to cooperate with as many as 24 countries in the nearest future to exchange merchant shipping data, which will enable India to keep track of threats in the area of strategic importance across the Indian Ocean region.

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9424
    Points : 9916
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  George1 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:56 am

    India Launches First of Six New Stealth Submarines



    India launched its first Scorpéne-class submarine, bringing the country one step closer to creating a stealthy fleet.

    Named Kalvari, the stealth submarine successfully undocked at the Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL) in Mumbai on Monday. The vessel will soon undergo sea trials to test its weapons and firing capabilities, and is slated to enter the naval service by 2016.

    Speaking to Defense News, MDL officials said, "Between now and September 2016, the submarine will undergo a year and a half of rigorous trials and tests, both in harbor and at sea, while on surface and while dived."

    The vessel is the first of the Indian Navy’s ambitious Project 75 submarine program, which aims to include five more Scorpénes in the Navy fleet by 2020. The submarine program is a collaborative project between the Indian Navy and the French firm DCNS, which was awarded the $4.6 billion contract in 2005.

    Set to be India’s first ultra-deep diving vessel, the Scorpéne is stealthier than the average submarine. The design uses "high-yield specific steel," which allows it to dive almost 1,000 feet into the ocean. It also uses a noise-cancelling technique, whereby its equipment is mounted on elastic to prevent noisy vibrations from travelling outside the vessel. The Scorpéne’s body is also designed to be harder for Sonar to detect.

    The new submarine comes a week after Pakistan, India’s geopolitical rival, announced its agreement to purchase 8 submarines from China.

    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/news/20150409/1020680985.html#ixzz3WsYoA9cI

    type055
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 103
    Points : 110
    Join date : 2014-09-03

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  type055 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:16 pm

    Sujoy wrote:Indian Navy launches INS Kolkata . Several shortcomings yet to be addressed .

    (a) Barak-8 still under development

    (b) Absence of a primary sensor to detect submarines

    ( c) Absence of a Long Range Towed Array Sonar

    (d) Concerns about supply of spare parts from Ukraine for the Zorya M36E gas turbine plants

    ( e) IN wanted a 100 mm Gun but got a 76mm gun


    http://www.ndtv.com/article/opinion/on-ins-kolkata-pm-is-only-partially-correct-576698

    It seems to me the silver linings are BRAHMOS and MF-STAR
    when could Kolkata get Barak-8 and be on service?I remember Kolkata begin to build in 2003

    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2980
    Points : 3014
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  max steel on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:24 pm

    India has launched stealth destroyer INS VIKRAMADITYA too . Cool

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9424
    Points : 9916
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  George1 on Mon May 04, 2015 1:56 pm

    Indian 15B Project Navy Destroyers—Too Little, Too Late

    Creation of a batch of destroyers under project 15A and the recent launching of the first destroyer in the series 15B are undoubtedly a sign of success of the Indian defense industry

    India is making progress in its endeavor to emerge as a formidable military-industrial power. However, a comparison of these construction programmes of large destroyers with similar Chinese programmes clearly demonstrates that attempts to maintain parity in the naval race with China are potentially ruinous for India at least for now, says Vasily Kashin, expert at the Center for Strategic and Technological Analysis.

    Destroyers of the Kolkata class and Improved Kolkata class (Projects 15A and 15B), which include the recently Launched INS Visakhapatnam, are well armed. They are equipped with 16 powerful supersonic anti-ship missiles Brahmos developed jointly with Russia, and air defense systems Barak NG produced together with Israel.

    These ships have radars and electronic equipment of Israeli and Russian origin. More than 65% of the cost of INS Visakhapatnam is covered by Indian equipment and materials. However, basically these are low-tech components, including steel for the body of the ship. India has launched one destroyer in the project 15A, is completing the construction of two more, and is planning to build a total of 4 destroyers in the Project 15B. However, recent publications on the theme "Beware of China" are an exaggeration, says Vasily Kashin.

    Latest Indian destroyers can be considered roughly equivalent to the Chinese ships designed under the project 052C. The first such destroyer "Lanzhou" was inducted into the South China Fleet 10 years ago in 2005. Ships of the project 052C are equipped with radars with active phased antenna arrays. The Chinese ship also carries more anti-aircraft missiles, which have a longer range. Anti-ship weaponry may be weaker than in the Indian ships, but with the advent of China's new generation of supersonic cruise missiles like YJ-18, it can be reinforced at the next upgrade.

    Thus, we are talking about an approximately ten-year lag behind China. But in fact the situation is even worse. 052C are almost entirely Chinese-built ships. The first few still carried Ukrainian turbines, just like the Indian destroyers, but since then China has mastered independent production of such turbines in Harbin.

    But the project 052C is yesterday. Ongoing at present is the construction of a series of at least 12 destroyers in the project 052D, the first of which became part of the Chinese navy last year. These new-generation ships are equipped with multi-functional 64-cell vertical launch devices, modeled on modern American destroyers. They have even more perfect electronic equipment and can carry supersonic missiles YJ-18.

    Chinese successes are mainly based on their indigenous industry, while India continues to depend on foreign suppliers and also has limited budget allocations. At present, India does not have the ability to participate in a full-scale naval race with China.

    Its only advantage is an easier access to foreign military technology than China. But this is not enough for success. Unable to respond to the Chinese naval power with a symmetrical growth, India will have to find its own unique asymmetric ways of solving the problem to maintain its naval supremacy in the Indian Ocean.

    Read more: http://in.sputniknews.com/south_asia/20150503/1014333211.html#ixzz3ZAbXhIaq

    type055
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 103
    Points : 110
    Join date : 2014-09-03

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  type055 on Tue May 05, 2015 10:04 am

    George1 wrote:Indian 15B Project Navy Destroyers—Too Little, Too Late

    Creation of a batch of destroyers under project 15A and the recent launching of the first destroyer in the series 15B are undoubtedly a sign of success of the Indian defense industry

    India is making progress in its endeavor to emerge as a formidable military-industrial power. However, a comparison of these construction programmes of large destroyers with similar Chinese programmes clearly demonstrates that attempts to maintain parity in the naval race with China are potentially ruinous for India at least for now,  says Vasily Kashin, expert at the Center for Strategic and Technological Analysis.

    Destroyers of the Kolkata class and Improved Kolkata class  (Projects 15A and 15B), which include the recently Launched INS Visakhapatnam, are well armed. They are equipped with 16 powerful supersonic anti-ship missiles Brahmos developed jointly with Russia, and air defense systems Barak NG produced together with Israel.

    These ships have radars and electronic equipment of Israeli and Russian origin. More than 65% of the cost of INS Visakhapatnam is covered by Indian equipment and materials. However, basically these are low-tech components, including steel for the body of the ship. India has launched one destroyer in the project 15A, is completing the construction of two more, and is planning to build a total of 4 destroyers in the Project 15B. However, recent publications on the theme "Beware of China" are an exaggeration, says Vasily Kashin.

    Latest Indian destroyers can be considered roughly equivalent to the Chinese ships designed under the project 052C.  The first such destroyer "Lanzhou" was inducted into the South China Fleet 10 years ago in 2005. Ships of the project 052C are equipped with radars with active phased antenna arrays. The Chinese ship also carries more anti-aircraft missiles, which have a longer range. Anti-ship weaponry may be weaker than in the Indian ships, but with the advent of China's new generation of supersonic cruise missiles like YJ-18, it can be reinforced at the next upgrade.

    Thus, we are talking about an approximately ten-year lag behind China. But in fact the situation is even worse. 052C are almost entirely Chinese-built ships. The first few still carried Ukrainian turbines, just like the Indian destroyers, but since then China has mastered independent production of such turbines in Harbin.

    But the project 052C is yesterday. Ongoing at present is the construction of a series of at least 12 destroyers in the project 052D,  the first of which became part of the Chinese navy last year. These new-generation ships are equipped with multi-functional 64-cell vertical launch devices, modeled on modern American destroyers. They have even more perfect electronic equipment and can carry supersonic missiles YJ-18.

    Chinese  successes are mainly based on their indigenous industry, while India continues to depend on foreign suppliers and also has limited budget allocations. At present, India does not have the ability to participate in a full-scale naval race with China.

    Its only advantage is an easier access to foreign military technology than China. But this is not enough for success. Unable to respond to the Chinese naval power with a symmetrical growth, India will have to find its own unique asymmetric ways of solving the problem to maintain its naval supremacy in the Indian Ocean.

    Read more: http://in.sputniknews.com/south_asia/20150503/1014333211.html#ixzz3ZAbXhIaq
    “Unable to respond to the Chinese naval power with a symmetrical growth, India will have to find its own unique asymmetric ways of solving the problem to maintain its naval supremacy in the Indian Ocean.”
    if India want to maintain its naval supremacy in the Indian Ocean, their first target should be U.S. 5 th fleet.




    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2980
    Points : 3014
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  max steel on Sat May 09, 2015 10:32 pm

    INS Sardar Patel commissioned



    Adding to a series of recent boosts for India's defence sector, Indian Navy's latest Naval establishment, INS Sardar Patel, was commissioned at Gujarat's Porbandar on Saturday. The base was commissioned by Gujarat chief minister Anandiben Patel.

    According to the Navy, the commissioning of INS Sardar Patel would enable it to qualitatively augment its infrastructure and organisational effectiveness in Gujarat, which would improve coordination and synergy with other maritime agencies of the government.

    This Forward Operating Base (FOB) of Indian Navy in Gujarat and the Headquarters of the Naval Officer-in-Charge (Gujarat, Diu & Daman) would also enhance the logistic support being provided to the Indian Navy units deployed in the Northern Arabian Sea, including along the International Maritime Boundary Line with Pakistan.


    http://www.indiandefencereview.com/news/naval-base-at-porbandar-commissioned-as-ins-sardar-patel/




    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9424
    Points : 9916
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  George1 on Tue May 26, 2015 4:31 am

    India's INS Vikrant To Be Relaunched On May 28

    India’s indigenous aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant, will be re-launched on May 28 at Cochin Shipyard Limited in Kochi, marking the completion of the critical stage of phase II.

    “All major equipment has gone into the vessel, which has now acquired the shape of an aircraft carrier, with a finished hull. Barring a bit of ongoing work on the super structure, structural work is all over and the internal compartments have all been welded in,” a shipyard official was quoted as saying by The Hindu on Thursday.

    The outfitting of the ship is steadily progressing, but the fitting, including piping, electrical cabling; control system wiring will be carried out after the vessel launch, marking the third stage of work in the second phase of carrier construction for which a contract was signed in December last year.

    India’s Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) program encountered multiple delays during the last few years with budget overruns as high as $4 billion. In July 2014, the new government decided to accelerate construction and allocated about $3.1 billion for completion.

    The 400-ton INS Vikrant, which is five years behind schedule, is supposed to begin sea-trials in 2017 and should be inducted into the Indian Navy by late 2018. Despite contractual agreements over the construction of carrier’s aviation complex have been signed “delivery of major aviation equipment has not begun yet” leading to additional delay.

    The INS Vikrant is expected to carry 36 fixed-wing aircraft including the Russian-made MiG-29 K and the yet-to-be-inducted indigenously-produced Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Tejas.

    http://www.defencenews.in/defence-news-internal.aspx?get=new&id=GQ4o/eY8x$$g=

    Sponsored content

    Re: Indian Navy and Naval Aicraft: News

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:27 am


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:27 am