Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #2

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #2

Post  Militarov on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:14 am

sepheronx wrote:That is decent numbers.  Su-22's of course were pretty decent strike planes even for todays standards, especially upgraded.  They could hand over all of them to Syria and use Su-24's and F-5's as you have said it.  Maybe seek to upgrade them as well to newer standard of equipment.

But I do hope that Iran does.  If not, then I imagine they will act as the ground troops with Assad while Russia is pure airforce assistance.

You might be interested in this, now when i remember:

"Al Jazeera footage aired a few days ago exposed an IRIAF F-4 Phantom performing an air strike on ISIS positions in Iraq. The news of a cooperation between Washington and Tehran, later confirmed by the Pentagon, quickly spread across the world and images of the Iranian Phantoms in the colors of the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force have appeared on worldwide media outlets. But the Iranian contribution to the air war on ISIS includes other assets.

An insight into the IRIAF missions in Iraq was provided by Iranian defense expert Babak Taghvaee, a very well known author of several publications about the Iranian air forces and a regular contributor to some of the most read aviation magazines.

Taghvaee summed up the key features about the Iranian air raids in an email to The Aviationist.

– 18th to 20th November, several interdiction sorties were performed by the 2nd and 4th TFB’s F-5s in the Diyala province.

– Between Nov. 20t and Nov. 23 November, the RF-4Es of IRIAF and UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) of the IRGC-ASF (Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corp Aerospace Force) performed recce sorties over Jalula and Saadia.

– Between Nov. 23 and Nov. 30, the F-4Es of the 3rd TFB and 9th TFB performed CAS (Close Air Support) sorties for the Kurdish Peshmerga, Badr militia and Iraqi SpecOps.

– On Dec. 1 and 2, four Su-24MKs performed several combat air patrols and on-call CAS sorties deep inside Iraqi borders.

– On 29th and 30th November, the indigenous Sattar 4 LGBs and GBU-78/A Ghased TV guided bombs were used against the Daesh’s strongholds and heavy trucks successfully for first time in battle zone.

In conclusion, the Kurds and Iraqis retrieved the cities of Jalula and Saadia under fire support of IRIAF.

“The Americans had full coordination with Iranians during the combat sorties of IRIAF,” Taghvee highlighted."

Source: http://theaviationist.com/2014/12/04/iriaf-strikes-isis-in-iraq/

Seems their F4s still have some life in them Smile

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:18 am

Interesting about the strikes from Iran within Iraq. Really funny how Iran agreed to work with US after the whole issue with sanctions and what not.

But glad to hear that Iran is doing their part. Good on them.

Any new news regarding the joint work between Iraq, Syria, Iran and Russia?

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:02 am

George1 wrote:In video there are visible the bombs that Su-34 and Su-24 are carrying

Seems that wannabe politician Kitschko posts on youtube? I told him to go fight himself or go support more nazi's.

Piece of ****

Solncepek
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Solncepek on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:42 am

Senator John McCain reacted to Russia’s announcement that it had begun launching air strikes targeting ISIS militants in Syria by calling on the White House to arm Syrian rebels with weapons to shoot down Russian planes.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:44 am

Solncepek wrote:Senator John McCain reacted to Russia’s announcement that it had begun launching air strikes targeting ISIS militants in Syria by calling on the White House to arm Syrian rebels with weapons to shoot down Russian planes.

They got noting besides Stingers to give and those wont do f all.  Only on landing/launching.  And they are not even close enough to pull that off.  McCain is a real idiot and nutball.

But it is almost a guarantee that the rebels will end up with brand new Stingers or Iglas or Strela's, so Russia will have to be on full guard and ready to deal with such enemies.

Solncepek
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Solncepek on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:11 am

...Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton said Thursday she would push for a no-fly zone and safe regions in Syria to address the humanitarian crisis that has spilled out in the Middle East.

"I personally would be advocating now for a no-fly zone and humanitarian corridors to try to stop the carnage on the ground and from the air," Clinton said in an interview with WHDH-TV in Boston.

Russia launched its first airstrikes in Syria on Wednesday against what it said were Islamic State targets. But U.S. officials and Syrian opposition leaders have said the strikes hit areas not controlled by the Islamic State.

Secretary of State John Kerry, who succeeded Clinton at the State Department, has raised concerns that Russia was not targeting the Islamic State but hitting positions of moderate rebels opposed to Syrian President Bashar Assad.

Clinton, following campaign events in the Boston area, said in a separate interview with WCVB-TV that the U.S. should look seriously at the no-fly zone and humanitarian corridors, "but at this point we have to put a lot of pressure on Russia."

Supporters of a no-fly zone in Syria have said it would help stem the flow of refugees and neutralize Assad's warplanes and helicopters. The U.S. has so far resisted the calls.

Zivo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Zivo on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:16 am

sepheronx wrote:
    Solncepek wrote:Senator John McCain reacted to Russia’s announcement that it had begun launching air strikes targeting ISIS militants in Syria by calling on the White House to arm Syrian rebels with weapons to shoot down Russian planes.

They got noting besides Stingers to give and those wont do f all.  Only on landing/launching.  And they are not even close enough to pull that off.  McCain is a real idiot and nutball.

But it is almost a guarantee that the rebels will end up with brand new Stingers or Iglas or Strela's, so Russia will have to be on full guard and ready to deal with such enemies.

Even congress isn't stupid enough to send stingers. Igla's, maybe. However, if ISIS gets a hold of them and god forbid does something horrible, it'll be a real shitstorm. The US will be blamed.

OminousSpudd
    Major
    Major

Post  OminousSpudd on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:29 am

Zivo wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:

Even congress isn't stupid enough to send stingers. Igla's, maybe. However, if ISIS gets a hold of them and god forbid does something horrible, it'll be a real shitstorm. The US will be blamed.
    I'd say the lack of Russian helicopter support is in direct anticipation of this. As sepheronx said, MANPADS will come to nought against the current aircraft deployed by the RuAF. 

So far the plan being enacted in Syria is sheer genius on the strategic front, as well as in the PR department. Don't expect them not to anticipate any Western moves from this point forward. Russia seems to be atleast two steps ahead in the Great Game at the moment.

Erk
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  Erk on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am

Any credible news sources for that story? All I can find is Inforwars.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:34 am

"On Thursday morning, a Russian naval vessel carrying over 200 Marines arrived at the densely populated port-city of Tartous in order to bolster the total number of military personnel on the ground in Syria’s western countryside. According to a senior officer in the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) that is stationed in Jableh (Latakia), the Russian Marines number over 1,250 military personnel on the ground in Syria; this does not include the dozens of military advisors that are spread around the country.

The officer added that Russian Federation is expected to double their number of military personnel on the ground in the coming weeks, as they look to proliferate more weapons and soldiers in anticipation for a potential ground assault against the Syrian Al-Qaeda group “Jabhat Al-Nusra” and the Islamic State of Iraq and Al-Sham (ISIS). Will Russia participate in a ground assault against ISIS and Jabhat Al-Nusra? This is becoming more likely everyday; furthermore, the Russians have reached out to a number countries to for their own anti-terrorist coalition that would include countries like Lebanon, Egypt, China, Iran, and Iraq.

The U.S. and Russia have agreed to host a meeting to discuss the latter’s increased role in this Syrian Conflict; these latest airstrikes have agitated the U.S. military due to the allegations that the Russians targeted the “moderate” rebel militias."

Source: http://www.almasdarnews.com/article/more-russian-marines-arrive-in-tartous-ground-forces-number-over-1250-personnel/

Khepesh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Khepesh on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:50 am

I guess this could be in several threads, but this will do

Rodinazombie
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Rodinazombie on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:50 am

Erk wrote:

Any credible news sources for that story? All I can find is Inforwars.

I heard it on inforwars and they play a clip of him actually saying it, so it is true.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:54 am

If china gets involved as well, US would be even less enticed to do anything.

Solncepek
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Solncepek on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:21 am

Глава комитета Госдумы РФ по международным делам Алексей Пушков предположил, что операция Воздушно-космических сил РФ в Сирии может продлиться около четырех месяцев.

"В Москве говорят о трех или четырех месяцах операций", — сказал Пушков в интервью телеканалу Europa 1.

For me it means, that untill the mid 2016 all terrorist scumbags in Syria must be finished.
    The most serious obstacles for the upcoming ground offensive will be the weather conditions.
    It's now autumn in Syria - season of rain, fog, humiidity. Then comes winter - let's hope there will be no too much snow this year...

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:24 am

Solncepek wrote:Глава комитета Госдумы РФ по международным делам Алексей Пушков предположил, что операция Воздушно-космических сил РФ в Сирии может продлиться около четырех месяцев.

"В Москве говорят о трех или четырех месяцах операций", — сказал Пушков в интервью телеканалу Europa 1.

For me it means, that untill the mid 2016 all terrorist scumbags in Syria must be finished.
    The most serious obstacles for the upcoming ground offensive will be the weather conditions.
    It's now autumn in Syria - season of rain, fog, humiidity. Then comes winter - let's hope there will be no too much snow this year...

Guarantee it will last more than 4 months.  Unless there is major breakthroughs. 4 months is too much of a random number and I have a feeling it is to quell anyone who is opposed to this till they forget.

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:41 am

Khepesh wrote:I guess this could be in several threads, but this will do

Nothing more satifying than going to the office and finding Khepesh taking a dump on human trash. Good times.

Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:28 am

Russian Air Force Destroys ISIL Command Center, Training Camp in Syria

ISIL = ISILEUANZUS

Vann7
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Vann7 on Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:29 am

Nice video filmed by the cannibals.. alah wakbarrrrr..
    Shows apparently Russia airforce bombing Hama..

https://www.facebook.com/syrianmilitary/videos/vb.349059891842066/924668147614568/?type=2&theater

I really think the idea of weapons targeting by sound is not really crazy..
    U just drop a bomb and wait the terrorist scream. like monkeys. and then aim
    later at their direction. the real package of bombs..

Dima
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Dima on Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:37 am

Vann,
    Thanks for that footage, Al Jazeera was playing that footage in all their opening news stream yesterday and was waiting to get the full version of it. Tks.

Btw,  The strikes need to be round the clock and target all the command, weapons center, supply routes and the terrorists on the front line. This will drain the terrorists of their fighting resources and wont be able to hold out long.

If anything of that sort happen, it will give Russian military a perfect reason to bomb the crap out of the FSA and they need to be destroyed. Any western funded/supported armed group is a threat to Syria and the region.

The only one negative point to this whole campaign was the use of terms like fighting ISIS by the Russian side. That should have been avoided and instead they should have used fighting Islamic terrorists as the catch word. The use of fighting ISIS has given a chance to Western and Arabian terrorists supporters to bark at Russian strike.

ult
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  ult on Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:00 pm

Pictures from the inside the base - http://www.kp.ru/daily/26440/3311460/

Dima
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Dima on Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:16 pm

^ nice  thumbsup
    All i want to see now is the the AD units getting strengthened.

Akula971 wrote:Guys, whats the plan of action here ??

RuAF goes and bombs the shit out of ISIS and its allies. This is enough to destroy morale, equipment, CnC hubs. Pretty much everything in the said AO.

Creates enough leeway for SAA to mount an offensive ? Or do Russians spearhead an assault ?
    Yes thats it. Russia will be providing the strike from the air and if needed definitely from the ground. But since Iranians ground units are coming they might be the first ones to go into the frontline offensive.

The way i see it (i would request someone to post the latest map of territory held), ISIS 'strongpoints' are mostly rural far off areas. If RuAF does bomb these areas, in theory SAA can move out (if they have the men) and capture those first. Right now it seems that VVS is going after points closer to the current line of control of ISIS and SAA but maybe with time they'll go after those too ?

I just want to get an idea of what we should expect next. A solo air campaign never destroys an enemy. (thats my opinion). You need boots on the ground for clean up. I remember Kadyrov saying - I want my men to be the first boots on the ground - (which is good because they are experienced now, from Donbass.) Jokes aside, I doubt if SAA has the man power to carryout assaults.
    I feel, Russia's priority will be to cleanse the surrounding areas of Latakia and advance their airstrikes along the Turkish border there by cutting the supply lines and wiping out as many terrorists from the air. This is an area where Syrian AF has not been able to have a free hand.

Once Latakia and surrounding area has been sanitized, I believe (& I want!) they will be going south to do the same along the Golan heights and seal the area from Israeli and Israeli supported terrorists.

ult
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  ult on Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:17 pm

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:19 pm

Vann7 wrote:
    Nice video filmed by the cannibals.. alah wakbarrrrr..
    Shows apparently Russia airforce bombing Hama..

https://www.facebook.com/syrianmilitary/videos/vb.349059891842066/924668147614568/?type=2&theater

I really think the idea of weapons targeting by sound is not really crazy..
    U just drop a bomb  and wait the terrorist scream. like monkeys. and then aim
    later at their direction. the real package of bombs..

Seriously i have a huge problem with this conditioned islamophobia and the people who are conditioned with it or show signs of it, automatically stop using their brains.

"Allahu akbar" is conditioned into society just like we have "Oh My God", in german "Ohh Mein Gott" in Russian "Bozhe Moy". That is embbeded into the language and responsive vocal behavior. I am a Anti-theist and still i like most others use this phrase when not conscious about it, like in a shock reaction. If we would not measure by double standards than we should nuke entire europe entire christian world for the same religious terrorist screaming nutheadery.

Solncepek
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Solncepek on Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:27 pm

left - ISIS, right - moderate

Imho the most important things for ground forces right now are the cleansing of Zabadani & eastern Damascus !
    The rear must be safe before moving forward to Hama, Homs and Idlib.

Walther von Oldenburg
    Major
    Major

Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:28 pm

Did you notice that people on beheading videos usually don't scream "oh my God!" or "Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!"? Didn't you?

They usually scream something else. A hint - the phrase is in Arabic and you mentioned it in your post.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:07 pm

Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:07 pm