Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Soviet Air-to-Air missiles

nastle77
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Re: Soviet Air-to-Air missiles

Post  nastle77 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:08 am

^so GarryB you are suggesting in 80s the mig29 was actually equivalent to f15 ? In BVR
    What would you say to all the bad press mig29 got after gulf war and over Yugoslavia

I say give iraqis 20 f15 and USAF 100 mig29s And all the support aircraft and AwaCs and the result will be the same ....it was superior intelligence And technology plus sheer numbers

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Soviet Air-to-Air missiles

Post  GarryB on Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:22 am

^so GarryB you are suggesting in 80s the mig29 was actually equivalent to f15 ?

No.

It was a hybrid and not directly equivalent to any western aircraft.

It had the performance and flight range of the F-16 but had BVR capability which the F-16 did not.

It was a short range point interceptor/fighter.

A replacement for the MiG-21.

The Su-27 was more comparable to the F-15 but superior except for radar range and radar modes.

What would you say to all the bad press mig29 got after gulf war and over Yugoslavia

I would call the condition of those downgraded export MiG-29s to be abysmal. I would add that the western forces that faced those Serbian aircraft had had 10 years of training experience against MiG-29s from Germany and knew its performance capabilities and limits.

They didn't just train they explored the capabilities of the MiG-29 and created tactics to defeat it.

You will notice that most kills of MiG-29s have been with AMRAAM because NATO aircraft will not get within visual range of the aircraft simply because it is too dangerous.

they use aircraft like AWACS to locate the enemy aircraft and use fighters with long range missiles like AMRAAM to engage them before they can be engaged from a safe distance.

It is like hunting a man with bad eyesight armed with a machine pistol... using long range optics and an assault rifle... the MP armed man has little chance and that is by design... read my signature again...

I say give iraqis 20 f15 and USAF 100 mig29s And all the support aircraft and AwaCs and the result will be the same ....it was superior intelligence And technology plus sheer numbers

Even a propeller driven fighter can shoot down a jet if the jet is landing or taking off...

If the Serbs had upgraded the MiG to the level NATO aircraft had been upgraded the NATO aircraft would have been in trouble.

A well armed MiG-29 with working radar and systems would have been very dangerous... especially if they had more than a dozen.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Current date/time is Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:18 am