Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Share
    avatar
    eehnie

    Posts : 2039
    Points : 2064
    Join date : 2015-05-13

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  eehnie on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:20 am

    For me the work russianplanes.net does is so powerful. Being a database focused initially on civil aircrafts, my wish would be they can complete some day their work also for military aircrafts, because in the cases they have done it I only found advantages. In their main page, we can find bolded in blue, the models where they have completed the work of including all the units, while we have in grey the models where the number of entries have not been completed still, they say "in development".

    https://russianplanes.net/registr

    The first thing we need to take into account is that they have today an insane number of aircrafts in their data base, likely over 100000. Then it always has some effect about the updating of the data, but they do a reasonable work on it, in my opinion. I can not follow the data for all the aircrafts closely, but in the cases I follow most closely I find a decent level of updating (in the range of several months).

    Also, to make a valoration of the entries they include, it is necessary to say that their main source seems to be in production data. Likely obtained from the factories or from the registration official places. The main data for them, the data that always is present, in every entry for every single aircraft, is what can be called "head number". Later the rest of the data, like the "on board" number, airline, status or pictures seems to be attached to every entry of "head number". Despite to have not entries with "on board" number, pictures or other things, I do not think they have fictious entries. Sure they have some mistake (like the same picture for two aircrafts,...) but their work is outstanding in my view.

    About the updating, they update every entry for every aircraft independently, and they do a continues work. As example in the case of the L-410 we can find entries updated in 2013, in most of the cases of aircrafts out of the game, but also we can find some entries updated on 2017-11-27, including a change of 2017-11-15.
    https://russianplanes.net/reginfo/55139

    This is what I would say about them. Except for some single models, or some single aircrafts of my interest, they are able to go ahead me in most of the cases.

    Also for me are interesting your comments and the comments of Franco about the data of the souce and other sources.
    avatar
    Tsavo Lion

    Posts : 430
    Points : 430
    Join date : 2016-08-15
    Location : AZ, USA

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  Tsavo Lion on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:33 pm

    An attempt to partially update the IL-76MD fleet was undertaken in 2013, when an agreement was signed between UAC-TS and Aviastar-SP on the delivery of 39 aircraft of the upgraded Il-76MD-90A project until 2020. At the end of 2017, the customer was supplied with five units, of which two units were transferred to the Beriev TANTK for conversion to a prospective aircraft DRLOiU A-100. Another aircraft in the Il-78M-90A version (tanker) was rolled out in November 2017. Currently, Aviastar-SP is implementing the Il-76MD-90A threadless assembly, commissioning of which will theoretically speed up the serial production of aircraft. However, even now we can say that the state contract for the delivery of 39 sides of the renewed heavy military-technical cooperation has been successfully disrupted.
    At the same time, it should be noted that if there are almost a hundred Il-76MD active, the resource of which is enough for another 15-20 years, the breach of the contract execution terms does not lead to negative consequences for BTA Russia.
    Intensification of the serial production of IL-76MD-90A is necessary primarily for the construction of platforms for special versions A-100 and IL-78M-90A.
    The question of the creation and production of a new generation military transport aircraft (IL-106 / PAK TA) is once again postponed to the distant future. ..
    IL-276..In 2023 the first flight is planned. The "new" medium military-technical cooperation will be carried out according to the high-plan scheme with the T-shaped tail. The maximum take-off weight is expected to be 68 tons, and the estimated maximum payload is 20 tons, which it will be able to carry for 2,000 kilometers.
    Cargo cabin in size and design will be unified with IL-76MD, which is confirmed by the words of the head of the SVTS program. The power plant at the first stage will be represented by two PS-90A-76, and in the future a promising motor PD-14M.
    All these characteristics are repeated by KB SV. Ilyushin over the past 15 years and accurately reproduced in the media. However, the question of whether a new medium military transport aircraft will be received by BTA Russia in the next ten years remains open.
    Currently, the Il-112 program is in preparation for rolling out and the first flight. Apparently, the problem with the power plant will be solved until 2020.
    On December 18, the new aviation engine TV7-117ST developed by JSC "Klimov", intended for installation on a light military transport aircraft IL-112V, completed the first stage of flight tests . Judging by the contradictory reports of the leadership of the aircraft industry, the first flight of the car will take place not earlier than in the spring-summer of 2018. The exact timeframe for the start of the serial production of the Il-112 now, probably, no one can call it.
    https://iz.ru/685416/vladimir-moiseev/podemnaia-sila

    Russia’s New Aerial Tanker Emerges
    From the baseline Il-76M-90A airlifter, the Il-78M-90A differs in having two additional tanks for fifty metric tons of fuel located inside the cargo compartment. This increases the total fuel capacity to 126 metric tons (277,200 pounds), which is 60 percent of the aircraft’s mtow (210 metric tons/493,000 pounds).
    Refueling is conducted via fuel pods: one under each wing and a third attached to the port side of the rear fuselage. Fighter aircraft can take fuel from all three refueling points, whereas bombers can use only the centerline one. On the ground, the air tanker can feed four aircraft at a time.
    The Il-78M-90A design retains the large cargo ramp in the rear fuselage and equipment for airdropping; and can be converted into a standard airlifter by removing the additional fuel tanks and onboard equipment for refueling. If required, firefighting equipment can be installed.
    In addition to supplying Il-78M-90As to the Russian air force, UAC also hopes to win foreign orders. India has declared its intent to acquire additional Russian air tankers, having reconsidered its earlier selection of the Airbus A330 MRTT. The Indian air force currently operates six Il-78Ms that were the last to come from the old Il-76/78 production line in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Pakistan and China have opted for Il-78MP conversions of standard Il-76 airlifters done in the Ukraine. https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2017-12-18/russias-new-aerial-tanker-emerges

    IAF’s mid-air refuelling fleet to take a hit as numbers fall
    India is expected to float a new global tender for six or more tankers next year to stay prepared to counter China in the eastern sector, the sources said. The purchase could be worth as much as Rs 13,000 crore. [1 crore=10M; 13B INR= $203.19M]
    http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/iaf-s-mid-air-refuelling-fleet-to-take-a-hit-as-numbers-fall/story-EC912XIMqJ2sLrBJSsD2wL.html
    avatar
    eehnie

    Posts : 2039
    Points : 2064
    Join date : 2015-05-13

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  eehnie on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:58 am

    Data by weight class, updated at the begin of 2018 from Russianplanes.net and other complementary sources:

    -

    Active 011 Reserve 015 Production 1984-Today An-124

    Active 003 Reserve 002 Production 1979-Today Il-86/80/96
    Active 004 Reserve 005 Production 1966-1975 An-22

    Active 152 Reserve 065 Production 1973-Today Il-76/78/A-50
    Active 006 Reserve 003 Production 1966-Today Il-62

    Active 006 Reserve 000 Production 1990-Today Tu-204/214
    Active 018 Reserve 003 Production 1969-Today Tu-154

    Active 000 Reserve 000 Production 2010-Today Su-Superjet100
    Active 035 Reserve 052 Production 1980-Today Mi-26/27
    Active 000 Reserve 000 Production 1976-2003 Yak-42/142: http://russianplanes.net/planelist/Yakovlev/Yak-42
    Active 065 Reserve 098 Production 1964-1989 Tu-134
    Active 044 Reserve 009 Production 1959-1985 Il-18/20/22/24
    Active 064 Reserve 048 Production 1957-1972 An-10/12

    Active 028 Reserve 019 Production 1985-Today An-72/71/74
    Active 000 Reserve 019 Production 1960-1980 Mi-6/10/22

    Active 000 Reserve 000 Production 2018-Today Mi-38 (would need to reach around 16500 Kg of Maximum Take-Off Weight)
    Active 161 Reserve 260 Production 1962-Today An-24/26/30/32

    Active 099 Reserve 000 Production 2009-Today Yak-130
    Active 138 Reserve 068 Production 1979-Today Ka-27/28/29/31/32

    Active 000 Reserve 000 Production 1993-Today Che-22: http://www.airwar.ru/enc/sea/che22.html

    Active 036 Reserve 000 Production 2013-Today Mi-Ansat
    Active 028 Reserve 029 Production 1966-1993 Mi-2
    Active 036 Reserve 038 Production 1950-1991 An-2

    Active 041 Reserve 000 Production 2004-Today Ka-226

    Active 000 Reserve 000 Production 2018-Today Yak-152
    Active 000 Reserve 000 Production 1996-2008 Il-103: https://russianplanes.net/planelist/Ilushin/Il-103
    Active 000 Reserve 000 Production 1989-Today MAI-890: http://www.airwar.ru/enc/la/mai890.html
    Active 000 Reserve 000 Production 1985-Today Yak-55/54/56: https://www.aviaport.ru/directory/aviation/jak54/
    Active 000 Reserve 000 Production 1984-Today Su-26/29/31: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-29
    Active 099 Reserve 240 Production 1977-1998 Yak-52

    Including all the most modern Russian and Sovietic successful aircrafts and helicopters with production over 50 units, plus the Mi-38 and the Yak-152, which mass production begins now, are expected to be a success, and have been ordered by the Russian Armed Forces. Included not foreign aircrafts that are likely to disappear soon from the Russian Armed forces (by sale, transfer to other governmental ministries or other way):

    Active 012 Reserve 000 Production 2009-Today An-148/158/178 in the weignt clas of the An-72/74
    Active 009 Reserve 000 Production 1997-Today An-140 in the weight class of the An-24/26/30/32
    Active 029 Reserve 070 Production 1970-2015 L-410 in the weight class of the Che-22
    Active 200 Reserve 000 Production 1977-1998 L-39 in the weight class of the An-2

    Green means production available for Russia. Blue means unlikely to reach the Russian Armed Forces. Purple is related with foreign aircrafts likely to disappear soon.

    Between the 6 biggest cathegories aircrafts are dominant. Between the following 6 cathegories the helicopters would be dominant despite to be not present in all the cathegories, taking into account the success of the Mi-26/27 and the Mi-6/10 (bigger than the success of the An-72/71/74, with higher number of units produced). And in the smallest cathegory trainer aircrafts would be dominant. In the future I would expect:

    - Transport aircrafts to be successful in the 2nd to 6th cathegories (since 20 tons payload).
    - Airliner aircrafts to be successful in the 3rd to 6th cathegories (since 95-100 passengers + mid range >5000Km).
    - Helicopters to be successful in the 6th to 12th cathegories (until 20 tons payload).
    - Trainer aircrafts to be successful in the 9th and 13th cathegories.

    The success is uncertain, even unlikely, for the rest of the options. As overall rule, I would avoid to invest on them.

    More explanation about, in the following link:

    http://www.russiadefence.net/t4312p75-russian-transport-aircraft-fleet-vta#189143

    According to it, this would be the order of priority for auxiliary aircrafts and helicopters:

    0.- Su-SJ100 (I expect some order from the Russian Armed Forces in the short term).

    1.- Ka-60/62 (in the Che-22 size class with around 2.5 tons payload)
    2.- Be A-40/42 or Tu-330 or Il-276 40 (in the Tu-204/214 size class with around 40 tons payload).
    3.- Mi-46 or Ka-102 (in the An-72/74 size class with around 15 tons payload).
    4.- Il-106 or PTS 80 (in the An-22 size class with around 80 tons payload).
    5.- Tu-230 or Il-276 (in the An-10/12 size class with around 20 tons payload).
    6.- PTS 160 (in the An-124 size class with around 160 tons payload).
    7.- Il-90 or Frigate Ecojet (in the Il-62 size class for double configuration: 1 mid passenger capacity + long range, 2 high passenger capacity + mid range).
    8.- Il-276 60 (in the Il-76/78 Be-A50 size class with around 60 tons payload).
    9.- Tu-304 or CRAIC CR929 (in the Il-86/80/96 size class for high passenger capacity + long range).
    10.- Ka-40 Minoga or Mi-X1 or Ka-90 or Ka-92 (in the size class of the Ka/27/28/29/31/32/35 with around 5 tons payload).
    11.- New Helicopter (in the Mi-26/27 size class with around 20 tons payload.
    12.- MS-21/Yak-242 (in the Tu-204/214 size class for mid passenger capacity + mid range).

    Note that the PTS 240 would come as consecuence of the three sizes philosophy, but would not be prioritary in my view. The Il-PAK-TA is not in the list because would be for air transport in contested areas.

    I would expect the An-22 to be used until to be totally exhausted in the short term.


    Last edited by eehnie on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:54 pm; edited 8 times in total
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 11409
    Points : 11886
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  George1 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:41 pm

    Defense Ministry to receive first Il-76MD-M in January

    More:
    http://tass.com/defense/984955


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 11409
    Points : 11886
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  George1 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:05 pm

    Head of PJSC "Aviation Complex named after. S.V. Ilyushin "Alexey Rogozin on the development of transport aviation (Il-276, Il-112V, IL-76MD-90A, VTA)

    - At what stage is the development of the medium military transport plane Il-276?
    - We have practically agreed the tactical and technical task for this machine, we specially formed a very strong team inside the "Ilyushin" to work on this project. The plane is being created to replace the An-12 fleet, which is operated by the Defense Ministry, and the resource is coming to an end. The timing of the project is limited, above all, the task of maintaining the fleet of aircraft. According to our forecasts, the first flight should be made no later than 2023. Given the availability of timely funding, I think this is an achievable task.
    - It became heavier in connection with the release of India from the project MTA?
    - I would not say that this is the same project. Both aircraft are really unified for a number of solutions, including, for example, the size of the cargo cabin - it is almost equal to the IL-76 dimensions - but much more in these machines is quite significant. We carried out an in-depth analysis of the reserve, which was produced under the AIT project jointly with India, but the Il-276 project is being created on the instructions of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation. And these are other tasks, slightly different operating conditions; In addition, we are striving to have a new engine on the Il-276 - PD-14. I do not exclude that India will resume its interest, realizing that we have started the development of a more than competitive aircraft. Although the main task, of course, is the replacement of the An-12 in the aerospace forces of the Russian Federation, which means that in the next few years the Defense Ministry will remain our sole customer, taking into account the pace of the An-12 aircraft decommissioning. The AN-12 park will require more than one year to replace.
    - And what is the resource of the ΜTA park?
    - A large volume of aircraft was produced in the interests of the Ministry of Defense of the USSR. In this sense, the problem is not as critical as in the An-12 park. But, nevertheless, the new IL-76MD-90A differs significantly from its predecessor in terms of flight performance, convenience in piloting, in carrying capacity. Therefore, this is not only a replacement of the park, it is an increase in the capabilities of ΜTA.
    - What about the Il-112V project?
    - In the second half of the year we plan to make the first flight of this aircraft, which is being developed to replace the An-26. This car with a rather difficult fate, because its development in the previous form began in 2003 and was suspended twice. Of course, during our work with the resumption of the project in 2014, we substantially reworked all the documentation and replaced the systems. Today, there are already two aircraft in production: one resource-static, one flight-at the final stage of assembly, and in the spring it is planned to put under the current. I hope that in the spring, several more aircraft will be launched.
    - Is there an order already?
    - Deliveries of IL-112 are included in the new SAP. At the same time, we are conducting preliminary negotiations on the large supply of this aircraft to one of the traditional customers of Russian equipment abroad.
    - It was reported that Uzbekistan will participate in the cooperation, does it have the opportunity to do so?
    "We have never interrupted our relations with Tashkent, there is a branch of Ilyushin." We are interested in cooperation with all who are able to be with us in the overall cooperation, and we see this potential with Uzbekistan. However, we make certain requirements to our partners in terms of their level of technological readiness and the ability to work with digital documentation. Of course, there were specialists and infrastructure to organize a full-fledged production, but it's too early to talk about specific projects. Perhaps, the Uzbek partners will act as investors.
    - How do you solve the issue of servicing the An-124-100 Ruslan aircraft?
    - The "Il" has the functions of a developer for these aircraft. Such a decision was made after all the well-known events of 2014, when the state enterprise Antonov actually refused technical support and further cooperation on the An-124 program. These competencies are now on the "Ile", the work is underway to modernize the aircraft using the reserve, which appeared during the program of creating the IL-76MD-90A. I consider it quite possible to develop the Ruslan theme independently, since the resource of the existing sides is still very large, they will be able to be operated at least until 2040. The main task now is to ensure its safe operation and further development.
    - Does the AN-124-100 deal with Aviastar-SP in Ulyanovsk without the help of the Antonov state enterprise?
    - The connections between the enterprises are now broken. But I would like to recall that this aircraft was not developed in Ukraine, but in the Soviet Union. There was a very wide cooperation: central scientific institutes, design offices, enterprises of the whole large country. And the production itself was organized in Ulyanovsk. So you can not consider "Ruslana" Ukrainian development.
    - Is it possible to resume cooperation with Ukraine?
    - In Kiev, many people already understand that the breakdown of relations with Russia has hit Ukrainian enterprises. I can honestly say that we do not shy away from cooperation with Ukrainian partners and are ready for negotiations. But only in case of appropriate decisions at the state level.
    - You said that there is an opportunity to exploit the "Ruslans" until 2040. But what about the engines that were created in Ukraine?
    - The resource of existing engines will suffice. And believe me, Russian industry is able to master the production of engines of this class.
    - The government recently allocated 65 billion rubles. from the budget for the creation of a new super-power engine, which should be used including VTA .
    - It is necessary to understand that PD-35 is not one engine, but a whole family based on one gas generator. The thrust that can be laid in this family is in a fairly wide range, which allows us to consider the installation of one of the modifications of such an installation, including a promising twin-engine version of the IL-96. This issue was worked out. No significant design changes to the aircraft will not be required. Perhaps, PD-35 will also be used on the Russian-Chinese wide-body aircraft CR-929 or, for example, used for the twin-engine IL-76 transport scheme. Any development of aircraft in Russia should take into account the plans for the development of this class of engines. Now we expect from the enterprises of the United Engine-Building Corporation to make concrete decisions on the timing of the development of these engines.
    - At what stage is the development of a promising VTA aviation complex?
    - We are waiting for the decision of the Ministry of Defense of Russia on the need for R & D in the coming years. At the same time, even the basic technical requirements for such an aircraft have not been approved, but, based on existing realities, we understand that two basic requirements will be presented to it ...
    - Carrying capacity?
    - Yes. As a rule, a figure of not less than 80 tons is discussed. And the second - the size of the cargo cabin, allowing to transport both large-sized and oversized equipment. But to start the work you need to understand the customer: on an initiative basis, no company in the world is able to develop and create an aircraft of this class.
    - It will come to replace the An-124-100 and An-22?
    - The niche of the plane is in this class. The need for Ruslan aircraft today is extremely high.
    - The creation of the IL-96-400M rests on payback issues, since four engines require a large fuel consumption.
    - Of course, the engine, which today stands on it, does not belong to the category of the most economical. On the other hand, it meets all the requirements - for safety, noise, and emissions. The increased fuel consumption associated with its operation can be more than offset by other characteristics of the new Il-96 aircraft. Including a very competitive price, which should already spur the interest of Russian and foreign aviation companies. At the same time, our task is not just to develop an aircraft, and then to offer it to the market, we must now listen to potential customers. Such negotiations are under way, and I think they will result in a batch production of the promising IL-96-400M.
    - And what about the An-148, which were created in the VASO?
    - The program actually ends. At the same time, the aircraft is objectively in demand, therefore, it is possible that decisions will be taken on the further fate of this type of vehicles.
    - Do you have design documentation for it?
    - You know perfectly well that the aircraft was developed at the Antonov Design Bureau and, accordingly, the documentation belongs to them. But during the development of production in Voronezh, a significant contribution to the refinement of the An-148 was made by the Russian company, so some reserve for this aircraft can be used in other promising programs.

    https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3070571.html


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    AMCXXL

    Posts : 186
    Points : 188
    Join date : 2017-08-08

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  AMCXXL on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:08 pm

    George1 wrote:
    But I would like to recall that this aircraft (An-124) was not developed in Ukraine, but in the Soviet Union And the production itself was organized in Ulyanovsk. So you can not consider "Ruslana" Ukrainian development..

    Well said. It has to put things in their place
    avatar
    eehnie

    Posts : 2039
    Points : 2064
    Join date : 2015-05-13

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  eehnie on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:06 pm

    George1 wrote:Head of PJSC "Aviation Complex named after. S.V. Ilyushin "Alexey Rogozin on the development of transport aviation (Il-276, Il-112V, IL-76MD-90A, VTA)

    - At what stage is the development of the medium military transport plane Il-276?
    - We have practically agreed the tactical and technical task for this machine, we specially formed a very strong team inside the "Ilyushin" to work on this project. The plane is being created to replace the An-12 fleet, which is operated by the Defense Ministry, and the resource is coming to an end. The timing of the project is limited, above all, the task of maintaining the fleet of aircraft. According to our forecasts, the first flight should be made no later than 2023. Given the availability of timely funding, I think this is an achievable task.
    - It became heavier in connection with the release of India from the project MTA?
    - I would not say that this is the same project. Both aircraft are really unified for a number of solutions, including, for example, the size of the cargo cabin - it is almost equal to the IL-76 dimensions - but much more in these machines is quite significant. We carried out an in-depth analysis of the reserve, which was produced under the AIT project jointly with India, but the Il-276 project is being created on the instructions of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation. And these are other tasks, slightly different operating conditions; In addition, we are striving to have a new engine on the Il-276 - PD-14. I do not exclude that India will resume its interest, realizing that we have started the development of a more than competitive aircraft. Although the main task, of course, is the replacement of the An-12 in the aerospace forces of the Russian Federation, which means that in the next few years the Defense Ministry will remain our sole customer, taking into account the pace of the An-12 aircraft decommissioning. The AN-12 park will require more than one year to replace.
    - And what is the resource of the ΜTA park?
    - A large volume of aircraft was produced in the interests of the Ministry of Defense of the USSR. In this sense, the problem is not as critical as in the An-12 park. But, nevertheless, the new IL-76MD-90A differs significantly from its predecessor in terms of flight performance, convenience in piloting, in carrying capacity. Therefore, this is not only a replacement of the park, it is an increase in the capabilities of ΜTA.
    - What about the Il-112V project?
    - In the second half of the year we plan to make the first flight of this aircraft, which is being developed to replace the An-26. This car with a rather difficult fate, because its development in the previous form began in 2003 and was suspended twice. Of course, during our work with the resumption of the project in 2014, we substantially reworked all the documentation and replaced the systems. Today, there are already two aircraft in production: one resource-static, one flight-at the final stage of assembly, and in the spring it is planned to put under the current. I hope that in the spring, several more aircraft will be launched.
    - Is there an order already?
    - Deliveries of IL-112 are included in the new SAP. At the same time, we are conducting preliminary negotiations on the large supply of this aircraft to one of the traditional customers of Russian equipment abroad.
    - It was reported that Uzbekistan will participate in the cooperation, does it have the opportunity to do so?
    "We have never interrupted our relations with Tashkent, there is a branch of Ilyushin." We are interested in cooperation with all who are able to be with us in the overall cooperation, and we see this potential with Uzbekistan. However, we make certain requirements to our partners in terms of their level of technological readiness and the ability to work with digital documentation. Of course, there were specialists and infrastructure to organize a full-fledged production, but it's too early to talk about specific projects. Perhaps, the Uzbek partners will act as investors.
    - How do you solve the issue of servicing the An-124-100 Ruslan aircraft?
    - The "Il" has the functions of a developer for these aircraft. Such a decision was made after all the well-known events of 2014, when the state enterprise Antonov actually refused technical support and further cooperation on the An-124 program. These competencies are now on the "Ile", the work is underway to modernize the aircraft using the reserve, which appeared during the program of creating the IL-76MD-90A. I consider it quite possible to develop the Ruslan theme independently, since the resource of the existing sides is still very large, they will be able to be operated at least until 2040. The main task now is to ensure its safe operation and further development.
    - Does the AN-124-100 deal with Aviastar-SP in Ulyanovsk without the help of the Antonov state enterprise?
    - The connections between the enterprises are now broken. But I would like to recall that this aircraft was not developed in Ukraine, but in the Soviet Union. There was a very wide cooperation: central scientific institutes, design offices, enterprises of the whole large country. And the production itself was organized in Ulyanovsk. So you can not consider "Ruslana" Ukrainian development.
    - Is it possible to resume cooperation with Ukraine?
    - In Kiev, many people already understand that the breakdown of relations with Russia has hit Ukrainian enterprises. I can honestly say that we do not shy away from cooperation with Ukrainian partners and are ready for negotiations. But only in case of appropriate decisions at the state level.
    - You said that there is an opportunity to exploit the "Ruslans" until 2040. But what about the engines that were created in Ukraine?
    - The resource of existing engines will suffice. And believe me, Russian industry is able to master the production of engines of this class.
    - The government recently allocated 65 billion rubles. from the budget for the creation of a new super-power engine, which should be used including VTA .
    - It is necessary to understand that PD-35 is not one engine, but a whole family based on one gas generator. The thrust that can be laid in this family is in a fairly wide range, which allows us to consider the installation of one of the modifications of such an installation, including a promising twin-engine version of the IL-96. This issue was worked out. No significant design changes to the aircraft will not be required. Perhaps, PD-35 will also be used on the Russian-Chinese wide-body aircraft CR-929 or, for example, used for the twin-engine IL-76 transport scheme. Any development of aircraft in Russia should take into account the plans for the development of this class of engines. Now we expect from the enterprises of the United Engine-Building Corporation to make concrete decisions on the timing of the development of these engines.
    - At what stage is the development of a promising VTA aviation complex?
    - We are waiting for the decision of the Ministry of Defense of Russia on the need for R & D in the coming years. At the same time, even the basic technical requirements for such an aircraft have not been approved, but, based on existing realities, we understand that two basic requirements will be presented to it ...
    - Carrying capacity?
    - Yes. As a rule, a figure of not less than 80 tons is discussed. And the second - the size of the cargo cabin, allowing to transport both large-sized and oversized equipment. But to start the work you need to understand the customer: on an initiative basis, no company in the world is able to develop and create an aircraft of this class.
    - It will come to replace the An-124-100 and An-22?
    - The niche of the plane is in this class. The need for Ruslan aircraft today is extremely high.
    - The creation of the IL-96-400M rests on payback issues, since four engines require a large fuel consumption.
    - Of course, the engine, which today stands on it, does not belong to the category of the most economical. On the other hand, it meets all the requirements - for safety, noise, and emissions. The increased fuel consumption associated with its operation can be more than offset by other characteristics of the new Il-96 aircraft. Including a very competitive price, which should already spur the interest of Russian and foreign aviation companies. At the same time, our task is not just to develop an aircraft, and then to offer it to the market, we must now listen to potential customers. Such negotiations are under way, and I think they will result in a batch production of the promising IL-96-400M.
    - And what about the An-148, which were created in the VASO?
    - The program actually ends. At the same time, the aircraft is objectively in demand, therefore, it is possible that decisions will be taken on the further fate of this type of vehicles.
    - Do you have design documentation for it?
    - You know perfectly well that the aircraft was developed at the Antonov Design Bureau and, accordingly, the documentation belongs to them. But during the development of production in Voronezh, a significant contribution to the refinement of the An-148 was made by the Russian company, so some reserve for this aircraft can be used in other promising programs.

    https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3070571.html

    Having money to invest and to order aircrafts, but being this limited, it is logical to focus in the projects that really are demanded and have a success assured.

    As example, there is not problem to produce the future Il-276 in 2 factories if one can not afford the demand, or the strategic bomber Tu-160. At same time there is not need to keep artificially the demand of some models in order to keep artificially their production, like in the case of the An-148 and likely in the case of the Il-112.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6593
    Points : 6695
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  PapaDragon on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:11 am


    Vintage perfection An-22, I love this airplane, oldie but goodie, epic photo and loads more in link:



    https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3088418.html

    *BobStanley

    Posts : 6
    Points : 6
    Join date : 2018-01-08

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  *BobStanley on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:24 am

    AMCXXL wrote:Il-76MD arriving Ulyanovsk



    https://www.aex.ru/news/2017/12/1/178546/
    The upgraded An-124 was given the honorable name "Oleg Antonov"
    On the same day, the first 9 Il-76 aircraft arrived in Vostochny with the aim of forming here a military transport aviation regiment. The new 235th Air Regiment, which is part of the 18th military transport aviation division, will be deployed in Ulyanovsk.
    "The idea of ​​forming the BTA regiment on Ulyanovsk is connected with the fact that there is a powerful Ulyanovsk plant" Aviastar-SP ", which produces IL-76MD-90A aircraft. Therefore, the task of rearmament for this type of military transport aircraft will be in this local regiment. The same goes for the further development of the An-124 issue. Here in Ulyanovsk these planes were built and undergo a different kind of reconstruction. We plan to perform a number of tasks in Ulyanovsk to ensure


    https://function.mil.ru/news_page/country/more.htm?id=12153010@egNews
    Orenburg has formed a military transport aviation division.
    The structure included aviation units stationed in the Orenburg, Ulyanovsk, Rostov and Omsk regions
    The aviation fleet includes transport aircraft Il-76, A-12,An-26, An-72 and other aviation equipment.


    The current structure of the Military Transport Aviation (VTA) is:

    61 AIR ARMY VTA (HQ: Tver)

    12 VTAD (HQ:Migalovo-Tver)
    •196 VTAP Migalovo-Tver: Il-76MD (2sq)
    •334 VATP Pskov: Il-76MD (2sq)
    •566 VTAP Sescha (Bryansk oblast): Il-76MD , An-124
    •76 OVTAE Migalovo-Tevr: An-22,An-12,An-26

    18 VTAD (HQ:Orenburg)
    •117 VTAP Orenburg: Il-76MD (2sq), An-12
    •708 VTAP Taganrog (Rostov oblast):Il-76MD (2sq)
    •235 VTAP Ulyanovsk: Il-76MD (1sq) , second sq. Il-476(Il-76MD-90A), 3 first expected this year
    •340 OVTAE Omsk: An-26 , An-72

    610 TsBPiPLS Ivanovo-Severny
    •527 IIVTAP: Il-76M , Il-76MD
    •?? IIVTAE: An-12,An-26,An-72

    144 SRDLOAP Ivanovo-Severny: A-50


    The former structure of 4 regiments (Tver,Pskov,Taganrog,Orenburg) with 3 sq, of 9 Il-76 , totaling 108 Il-76 is changing to 6 regiments of 2sq.
    The 224 LO with 16 Il-76 (4 in each base) seems have been disbanded.Two of this planes have arrived to Ulyanovsk.
    The An-124 , probably will be attached to the divisions in Ulyanovsk and Tver (replacng An-22 in 76 OVTAE) . and 566º disbanded or moved to other place.
    Other regiment was announcd for Penza in next years
    The total Il-76 is about 120-125 including other 5 based in Chkalovsky-Moscow (223 LO/8 ADON)

    What about 8 VTAP from Twer ?
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 11409
    Points : 11886
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  George1 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 am

    The first modernized Il-76MD-M was handed over to the Russian Defense Ministry

    http://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/5024654


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 11409
    Points : 11886
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  George1 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:37 pm

    The first modernized military transport aircraft IL-76MD-M was transferred to the Russian Air Force

    As reported March 13, 2018 by the Department of Information and Communications of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, the specialists of the 153rd military mission of the Ministry of Defense of Russia, stationed in the Aviation Complex. S.V. Ilyushin in the Moscow region of Zhukovsky, carried out the first serial upgraded military transport aircraft Il-76MD-M.


    The first sample of the modernized military transport aircraft IL-76MD-M (registration number RF-76746, serial number 0073479374, serial number 60-04). Zhukovsky, a picture of 2016 (c) Ministry of Defense of Russia

    Under the leadership of the military mission, a series of acceptance tests was carried out, and the aircraft was fully transferred to the Air and Space Forces.

    The serial contract provides for the modernization of the existing fleet of Il-76MD military transport aircraft to the Il-76MD-M version.

    The aircraft has undergone a deep modernization, is equipped with the latest on-board electronic equipment, a modern flight control and navigation system that meets all the requirements and flight rules both on Russian and foreign air routes.

    The aircraft was updated with lighting, landing and transport and household equipment, an on-board defense complex and communications equipment. Also, the aircraft is equipped with elements of a "glass cabin". The appointed term of service was extended to 40 years.

    The bmpd comment. Apparently, we are talking about the transfer of the first prototype of the modernized military transport aircraft IL-76MD-M (registration number RF-76746, serial number 0073479374, serial number 60-04, aircraft built in 1987), passed in 2014, 2016 modernization at the technical base of JSC "Aviation Complex. S.V. Ilyushin "in Zhukovsky and made the first flight there on February 28, 2016. Since June 2017 the State joint tests of this side have been conducted.

    The works were carried out within the framework of the state contract concluded in August 2013 by the Russian Ministry of Defense with the JSC "Aviation Complex named after. S.V. Ilyushin "to carry out modernization of the heavy military transport aircraft Il-76MD and the Il-78M refueling aircraft, with the presentation of one prototype.

    The upgraded Il-76MD-M aircraft retains the old D-30KP engines, which are being modified to extend their life. Modernization works should bring the airborne equipment of the aircraft to the level of the equipment of the newly constructed Il-76MD-90A. The total service life of the aircraft is extended by 15 years. According to the requirements of the Ministry of Defense, the cost of upgrading the IL-76MD to the Il-76MD-M version should be only one third of the cost of the new IL-76MD-90A aircraft.

    Earlier it was reported that the Russian Defense Ministry plans to modernize 41 military transport aircraft Il-76MD to the level of IL-76MD-M. In October 2016, the JSC "Aviation Complex. S.V. Ilyushin "was contracted with the Ministry of Defense to upgrade the first three Il-76MD aircraft to the level of Il-76MD-M with delivery before the end of 2018. As it is possible to judge, the first for this contract was delivered on March 13th an experimental aircraft RF-76746, modified to the appearance of "complete configuration".

    Serial modernization work in the future was supposed to be carried out at aviation repair plants or at technical aviation bases of the Military Transport Aviation.

    https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3122973.html


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    eridan

    Posts : 154
    Points : 160
    Join date : 2012-12-13

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  eridan on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:53 am

    George1 wrote:
       

       The upgraded Il-76MD-M aircraft retains the old D-30KP engines, which are being modified to extend their life. Modernization works should bring the airborne equipment of the aircraft to the level of the equipment of the newly constructed Il-76MD-90A. [b]The total service life of the aircraft is extended by 15 years. According to the requirements of the Ministry of Defense, the cost of upgrading the IL-76MD to the Il-76MD-M version should be only one third of the cost of the new IL-76MD-90A aircraft.


    If true, that doesn't sound like a good deal. To pay one third of brand new plane's cost for 15 more years. When lifespan of a new transport plane is easily three times that. So that roughly ends up being similar cost during whole projected lifetime. But on top of that, the modernized ones will still be stuck with lower perfomance - less range and less payload. It's really worse deal than getting new il76 with new engines. I guess the only reason the modernization IS going through is that there's simply no cheap way to increase il76 production further than it is now. So if RuAF wants to upkeep its transport fleet in numbers, modernizing older il76 makes some sense.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 17926
    Points : 18502
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  GarryB on Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:09 am

    The thing is that the existing models are already doing a job, so with upgrades they should be able to continue to do those jobs... in fact with the avionics upgrades they should be able to do it easier.

    They will be quicker to get into service and they are already available for the upgrade, so less waiting.

    Having transitional models is a good thing...

    I remember in the 1990s they were talking about upgrading all the Il-76s with the PS-90A engine, which offers better performance, lower fuel burn, longer range, etc etc... except the engines were about 6 million dollars each, while the old engines cost 800,000 each.

    That means each aircraft was going to cost 24 million just to change the engines and save a little fuel... compared with the price of about 3.2 million for the four existing engines... 20 million dollars difference... that is a lot of fuel... and they were already doing their job... they weren't being stretched and needed underwing fuel tanks to extend the flight range...

    Not saying the Il-476 is not worth it, they certainly are a way forward... especially with Il-276s being used to replace the An-12 below them, but upgrading aircraft that still have hours left makes sense if they are Russian... if they were Antonovs and use of them was problematic then get rid of them as soon as possible.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3653
    Points : 3766
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  kvs on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:25 pm

    I bet that the low by-pass jet engines that were cheaper can drive this aircraft to higher speeds than the proposed fuel savers.
    For a military jet, fuel savings are secondary.

    eridan

    Posts : 154
    Points : 160
    Join date : 2012-12-13

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  eridan on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:27 am

    argh, forum ate my post. anyway, it was some silly, rough math where i assumed 200 hrs per il76 pilot per year, 140 hrs per il-76 plane per year, (which are pretty much guesswork and actual numbers would be appreciated) 0.35 dollars per kg of jet fuel (2015 prices, which may not be applicable), 1-5 tons of fuel for d30 per hour, with average of 2.5 tons per hour. and 25% less fuel consumption for ps90. and i got something like 490,000 $ per year for fuel costs for d30. or 367,000 for ps90. In ten years savings might be 1,23 million dollars. Over 30 years might be 3,7 million. Not counting in ancillary differences in cost, not related to price of fuel alone.

    But as i've surely used some wrong numbers here, i ask anyone to provide better numbers, if possible.

    edit: found up to date jet fuel price. 0.62 dollars per kg. 873,000 $ per year for a il76 with d30. Or 655,000 with ps90. 2,2 million $ savings per 10 years.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5872
    Points : 5937
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  JohninMK on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:17 pm

    eridan wrote:
    George1 wrote:
       

       The upgraded Il-76MD-M aircraft retains the old D-30KP engines, which are being modified to extend their life. Modernization works should bring the airborne equipment of the aircraft to the level of the equipment of the newly constructed Il-76MD-90A. The total service life of the aircraft is extended by 15 years. According to the requirements of the Ministry of Defense, the cost of upgrading the IL-76MD to the Il-76MD-M version should be only one third of the cost of the new IL-76MD-90A aircraft.


    If true, that doesn't sound like a good deal. To pay one third of brand new plane's cost for 15 more years. When lifespan of a new transport plane is easily three times that. So that roughly ends up being similar cost during whole projected lifetime. But on top of that, the modernized ones will still be stuck with lower perfomance - less range and less payload. It's really worse deal than getting new il76 with new engines. I guess the only reason the modernization IS going through is that there's simply no cheap way to increase il76 production further than it is now. So if RuAF wants to upkeep its transport fleet in numbers, modernizing older il76 makes some sense.
    My highlights.

    The top quote, and I don't know what the original Russian said, that the life is extended by 15 years which implies that it is extended from its original end of life date which is not quoted. This may well be longer than 15 years from now.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian Transport Aircraft fleet (VTA)

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon May 21, 2018 7:03 pm