In the "star" laid the latest ship to transport arms

Kyo
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

Post  Kyo on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:55 am

Rússia to start building 5th generation subs by 2020
    And:
    Sevmash shipyard is on schedule to deliver overhauled nuclear cruiser Admiral Nakhimov to the Russian Navy in 2018, the company’s general director said.

Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Mike E on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:03 am

Kyo wrote:Rússia to start building 5th generation subs by 2020
    I don't see how this is even remotely close to possibly. Yasen's won't all be delivered by then, same with the Borei... And A NEW generation sub will? 

Possibly they are suggesting a more advanced Yasen/Borei.

TheArmenian
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TheArmenian on Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:23 pm

Today is Navy Day.
    Celebrations in all fleets.

Putin is attending a beautiful naval display in Kaliningrad.
    You can see it live on Ruptly.

Sadly, the Sevastopol event had an incident: an unsuccessful launch of a Rastrub anti-submarine missile by the frigate Ladny.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:30 pm

Deputy PM: Putin approves addendums to Sea Doctrine

Amendments to Russia’s Naval Doctrine have been necessitated by NATO’s eastwards expansion and Crimea’s rejoining Russia, Dmitry Rogozin told journalists

BALTIISK /Kaliningrad region/, July 26. /TASS/. Russia's President Vladimir Putin has approved addendums to the Sea Doctrine, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Sunday.

"The document was presented to the president [today], and the president said today he has approved the Sea Doctrine," Rogozin told TASS.

Amendments to Russia’s Naval Doctrine have been necessitated by NATO’s eastwards expansion and Crimea’s rejoining Russia, Rogozin told journalists.

"The reasons necessitating the adoption of a new doctrine are rooted in the changing international political situation and Russia’s strengthening as a great naval power," he said.

"Special focus is laid on the Atlantic and Arctic directions. Attention to the Atlantic stems from NATO’s eastwards expansion and the Alliance’s building infrastructure near our borders. The second consideration is Crimea’s and Sevastopol’s rejoining Russia and the task of their swiftest integration into the economic life of our country. The third task is to resume the presence of our fleet in the Mediterranean," he said.

Maximmmm
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  Maximmmm on Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:04 pm

Not 100% sure this belongs here, but here I go:

Check out flot(dot)com (I can't post links yet), the swedes found a sunken midget sub. Port holes are closed shut so they're already speculating crew is dead. Forums are trolling by saying it's an old Som class from the start of the 20th century. Swedes are guessing it's something from the 80s/90s.

Post-sleep update: Looks like it is the old Som, apparently it isn't even a new discovery, divers had run into it a few years earlier.

She looks in amazing state for something that has been on the ocean floor for 99 years. I would love to see her raised, but since she's a war-grave that's unlikely to happen.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:18 am

Maximmmm wrote:Not 100% sure this belongs here, but here I go:

Check out flot(dot)com (I can't post links yet), the swedes found a sunken midget sub. Port holes are closed shut so they're already speculating crew is dead. Forums are trolling by saying it's an old Som class from the start of the 20th century. Swedes are guessing it's something from the 80s/90s.

Post-sleep update: Looks like it is the old Som, apparently it isn't even a new discovery, divers had run into it a few years earlier.

She looks in amazing state for something that has been on the ocean floor for 99 years. I would love to see her raised, but since she's a war-grave that's unlikely to happen.

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:25 pm

RIP so the submariners.

LOL to the Swedes.

''Sweden Finally Gets Their Russian Sub (But It's 100 Years Old)

A mini submarine found by divers off the coast of Sweden is a WWI Russian submersible that sank as far back as 1916, not recently as was previously thought, according to the Icelandic company IXplorer ocean research.''

http://sputniknews.com/world/20150728/1025132561.html

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:31 pm

I would have rubbed it in a lot more, but then again, I am quite a douche... Very Happy

''Russian Divers Offer to Help Sweden Study 1916 Submarine Sunk in Baltic Sea

Russian divers stand ready to conduct a joint expedition with Sweden on a submarine wreck recently found in the Baltic Sea, the head of the underwater search project A Bow to the Ships of the Great Victory said Tuesday.''

http://sputniknews.com/europe/20150728/1025127028.html

Ranxerox71
    Private
    Private

Post  Ranxerox71 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:58 pm

Austin wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:
    Austin wrote:Good Article on how Russian Submariner forces pair up , it seems they wont last much again numerically superior US Subs and ASW unit , just managing to destroy 25 % US naval forces and loosing most combat capability in bargain.

Another interesting aspect is protection of SSBN forces with conventional submarine of Kilo types

Theater of one actor - Underwater US Navy feels superior even on our shores

That's where the restart of modernized Mi-14 production and the modernization and re-introduction of existing Mi-14s comes in.
    These helicopters will be able to protect Russia's waters at greater ranges from land than the current land-based Ka-27s can.

For further out, virtually all of the latest corvette/frigate/destroyer designs have helicopter pads where Ka-27s ASW variants will be based (in some cases Ka-31s or Ka-27s CSAR variants will be based on them instead).
    There's a new class of helicopters to replace the Ka-27 family & derivates apparently under development.

Il-38s have recently been receiving upgrades to the Il-38N standard.
    Later on they will probably be replaced by the proposed Il-114MP aircraft.

The Tu-142s will stay put for the time being; I should note that some of these are not old aircraft at all; they were being built all the way up to 1994; with the M3 variant being built since 1985.
    All Tu-142s are supposed to be upgraded to M3M standard by 2020.
    In the longer-term, they may well be replaced by PAK-DAs, or perhaps something else entirely; like a variant of the MS-21 or Tu-201.

The article doesn't mention the Be-12s; probably since they have only started to be returned to service last year and are only in service in the Black Sea Fleet - but they are another component of ASW.
    Right now they are undergoing repairs at the Beriev plant in Taganrog and in a recently-ressurected facility in the Crimea.
    They will probably be in service for another 5 or so years; at which point the question of their replacement will become very accute.
    Originally, the A-40 was designated for their replacement, however the MoD later rejected the A-40 program; at which point there was talk of the Il-38s replacing them. However, the Il-38 being a similarly old aircraft that's no longer in production, not in service in large numbers, and not to mention without any amphibious landing capabilities - this plan never made much sense.
    The latest news suggests that the MoD has rethought its decision and decided it needs the A-40s after all as Be-12 replacements (http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20140719/1016726869.html), and possibly to replace some Il-38Ns in other fleets too.

I am more worries on submarine count.

The article only assumes that US submarine is the danger but I would even add Brits and French in there after all they are nato.

Russia faces a formidable SSN force when you count the Virginia's/Seawolf/LA , Brits Astute Class SSN and the new French SSN , they combined eventually makes for around 40 Top Notch SSN.

Compare to Russian Submarine Fleet of  upgraded 6 Akula , 2 Sierra-2 , 4 Oscar and 7 Yassen.

Barring Yassen I wouldnt bet my life on the others in facing a formidable SSN fleet.

I am not sure even if the Sierra-2 are getting upgraded , any confirmation ?

The Kilos are just good for Coastal Brown Water , I doubt Kilo can operate below Arctic Ice so protecting the SSBN via Kilo does not make sense , Russian SSBN operate only below Arctic.

I can just hope that the Akula/Sierra/Kilos would end up defending the Surface Fleet/SSBN while Oscar and Yasen would be sent to hunt NATO CBG and SSBN Fleet.

The best case possible for Russia is all the SLBM would be launched by Borei before NATO/US SSN would hunt and Kill her down.

I think Akula/Sierra/Oscar would be swallowed by US/NATO SSN/ASW fleet while the Yasen has best chance of surviving but how long is any bodys guess.

The Goal would be to get all the SLBM/ICBM out of the silos ASAP before catastrophe strikes  , which is like 5-10 minutes a nuclear strike is initiated on Moscow.

Most NATO SSBN operate near Russian waters Barrents etc that needs less than 10 minutes for their SLBM to reach critical target.

So 3-5 minutes is what the Stragetic Forces and SSBN forces have after that there is just disaster and hoping and praying Dead Hand could do something

I in principal do not like to answer in any of topics, but i must said this, First your analyze about Russian SLBM is wrong, second, Russians always in every moment 24/h/7 365 day in year have 2 to 3 Combined Subs one whit Classic Ballistic missiles, one whit Cruise missiles whit Nuclear war heads and one protective hunter killer subs, in position that they just need to fired they salvo and all is over And fourth fact which many people totally forget is...How many USA Megalopolis City's you need to hit to induce total chaos in whole USA, 4, New York, San Francisko, L.A, and Chicago, How many City's in Russia you must hit to make same psycho effect beside Moscow and St.Petersburg, Russia is so wast country that they have villig in which probably they wouldn't know that WWIII is started, I Russia people can dislocated it self in many of Russia parts, which never ever will be targeted because simply they wasn't exist like important targets. USA have not such commodity , they can try whit Alaska, but problem is that Alaska will be hitted hard between first, My point is that Russian nation have much bigger chance to survive in some meaningful number first strike then Americans have, and about Mentality,what is need to common Russian survive and do not go crazy and Vice Verse, is almost non comparable, Hollywood was made 4 movies about "Famous" Black Out in New York which was last some 70 Hours "those tragedy, Those Human sacrifice" in those "terrible times" when AC/DC stop to exist for whole two and half days....is the best and vivid expression about "toughness"of average USA citizen in non expected circumstances .So all thos so called "superiority in numbers " mean nothing when each side have enough Nuc's to decimate human population, does that will be done whit 100 war heads by 8 Mgt or 200 Hundreds of 4Mgt is totally irrelevant such as your analyze.Sorry nothing personal..

Maximmmm
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  Maximmmm on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:16 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    I would have rubbed it in a lot more, but then again, I am quite a douche... Very Happy

''Russian Divers Offer to Help Sweden Study 1916 Submarine Sunk in Baltic Sea

Russian divers stand ready to conduct a joint expedition with Sweden on a submarine wreck recently found in the Baltic Sea, the head of the underwater search project A Bow to the Ships of the Great Victory said Tuesday.''

Can't post the links,but it's on Flot as well. Looks like people are talking about maybe raising her on the 100th anniversary next year, that would be awesome.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Russia’s Naval Power in the 21st Century

https://russiamil.wordpress.com/2015/07/27/russias-naval-power-in-the-21st-century/

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:43 pm

Russia's Alfa Class Was The Terrifying Hot Rod Sub Of The Cold War

Maximmmm
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  Maximmmm on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:33 pm

^ That was a pretty great video. One of the rare moments when I wholly agree with western analysts. If anybody wants a good brief on the Russian navy, that's a great place to start.

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:29 pm

Austin wrote:Russia’s Naval Power in the 21st Century

https://russiamil.wordpress.com/2015/07/27/russias-naval-power-in-the-21st-century/

Condescending, arrogant, paranoid, egotistical...

Sums up this video, it's participants and pretty much USA as a whole these days.

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:39 pm

2 questions from naval-noob:

1) Heard Russian company is working on gas turbines. How is that thing going? When should product be ready?

2) Kerch shipyard in Crimea. It is supposed to be large enough to handle helicopter carrier with room to spare and they are said to be installing new heavy load crane in dry dock. Is this info accurate?

Maximmmm
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  Maximmmm on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:47 pm

PapaDragon wrote:

1) Heard Russian company is working on gas turbines. How is that thing going? When should product be ready?

2) Kerch shipyard in Crimea. It is supposed to be large enough to handle helicopter carrier with room to spare and they are said to be installing new heavy load crane in dry dock. Is this info accurate?  

1) The video was pretty good on the predictions for this. The officials say 2017 is when we'll start getting new turbines, I'd bank on at least a year delay. We shouldn't expect frigate construction to resume before late 2018-2019.

2) It's big but there are 2 major issues:
    -No experience with military contracts. They just laid down a new search/rescue vessel for the navy and they'll need to be eased into more serious contracts as for the last two decades they've been surviving on tankers.
    -Modernization & skills. The shipyard is getting upgraded and that'll take a while, furthermore the entire industry is still suffering shortages of talent, so there's not many spare experts that can be sent there to get things going.

Overall, it may be a good candidate for building those types of vessels, but no earlier than 2019-2020ish if I had to guess.

Also, that video really isn't too bad. They're pretty spot on with their analysis of the future direction and some of the major issues the navy has. Carriers are a pipe-dream and that's just a hard truth. Biggest point disagreed with was their view of our SSBN's.

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:53 pm

Maximmmm wrote:..................................

Also, that video really isn't too bad. They're pretty spot on with their analysis of the future direction and some of the major issues the navy has. Carriers are a pipe-dream and that's just a hard truth. Biggest point disagreed with was their view of our SSBN's.

Not arguing with data and I really don't think that Russian Navy even needs carrier class larger than Kuznetsov (modern version of course).

My beef was with overall tone of participants.

I assume 18th century colonial officers used the same tone when describing native population in Africa.

And of course USSR=Russian Federation as usual.

Maximmmm
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  Maximmmm on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:57 pm

[quote="PapaDragon"]
    Maximmmm wrote:
    Not arguing with data and I really don't think that Russian Navy even needs carrier class larger than Kuznetsov (modern version of course).

I assume 18th century colonial officers used the same tone when describing native population in Africa.

Ah gotcha, well I'm pretty used to the tone after so many years abroad Smile
    I was pleasantly surprised not to hear the usual "Russia can't do a damn thing right" routine that most "Experts" always spout. Wasn't impressed that the guy didn't know much about coast-guard ship construction since that has been one of the few really really good moments of our shipbuilding industry. Doesn't get covered enough.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:33 pm

Maximmmm wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

1) The video was pretty good on the predictions for this. The officials say 2017 is when we'll start getting new turbines, I'd bank on at least a year delay. We shouldn't expect frigate construction to resume before late 2018-2019.

2) It's big but there are 2 major issues:
    -No experience with military contracts. They just laid down a new search/rescue vessel for the navy and they'll need to be eased into more serious contracts as for the last two decades they've been surviving on tankers.
    -Modernization & skills. The shipyard is getting upgraded and that'll take a while, furthermore the entire industry is still suffering shortages of talent, so there's not many spare experts that can be sent there to get things going.

Overall, it may be a good candidate for building those types of vessels, but no earlier than 2019-2020ish if I had to guess.

They are assholes and anyone who agrees with them, simple as that.

As well, the gas turbines are undergoing tests NOW, so 2017 is when tests should be done and production can start.

Maximmmm wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    Maximmmm wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised not to hear the usual "Russia can't do a damn thing right" routine that most "Experts" always spout. Wasn't impressed that the guy didn't know much about coast-guard ship construction since that has been one of the few really really good moments of our shipbuilding industry. Doesn't get covered enough.

Or construction of Talwar ships, or Gepard, or etc etc etc.

Yeah, they skim over a lot of details and live in their paranoid fantasy land.

Maximmmm
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  Maximmmm on Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:51 pm

sepheronx wrote:

Or construction of Talwar ships, or Gepard, or etc etc etc.

Yeah, they skim over a lot of details and live in their paranoid fantasy land.

They mentioned the Talwars when talking about why we built the Grigorovitches. Gepards they forgot, but since our navy only bought 2 and the rest are meant for Vietnam they're not an important factor. Overall though the Gepards did fit into the comments about small ships packing a big punch.

Fundamentally the video was right about the shipbuilding strategy (small ships--> bigger ships), operating priorities (Mediterranean) and strategic place in the defence plans (cooperate with rest of armed forces, nuclear deterrent on the subs, coastal defence).

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:13 am

Maximmmm wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    Maximmmm wrote:

Agreed. Those big Russian Coast Guard ships are IMO the prettiest ships that sail today. thumbsup

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:21 pm

Does anyone have pic with size comparison of all RU Navy ship classes currently in service?

I looked but could not find anything...

Maximmmm
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  Maximmmm on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:28 pm

Hell yeah! Looks like the first ever soviet nuclear sub will be made into a museum. The shipyard just got the money to do some minor work so they can float the sub and keep it afloat until a museum project is developed. bmpd.livejournal.com/1408898.html

Edit:
    Also some news.
    The first BSF buyan-M has arrived in Novorossiysk for trials (Zeleniy Dol).
    Rastorropniy is being prepped for scrapping.

TheArmenian
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TheArmenian on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:06 am

Austin wrote:Russia’s Naval Power in the 21st Century

I wasted an hour and a half of my time watching that video cry

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:53 am

Current date/time is Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:53 am