Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Iraqi Armed Forces: Discussion and News

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Iraqi Armed Forces: Discussion and News

Post  Werewolf on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:30 pm

Best footage so far of Mi-28NE with Arbalet firing gun and unguided rockets.

Cyberspec
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Cyberspec on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:45 am

^^^

Great stuff

----

One of the four recently delivered F-16's is faulty/unflyable Question (in Arabic)....can our Iraqi members comment on this

http://www.almadapress.com/ar/NewsDetails.aspx?NewsID=59008

sheytanelkebir
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  sheytanelkebir on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:38 pm

That claim is from hakim a zamili who is a complete knobhead and retard. He is the head of the parliament defence and security committee but wouldn't know the difference between a pistol or a rifle if it hit him on the head. It is guaranteed that everything he spouts is nonsense... Sadly he does spout a lot and his manure is spread far and wide by both iraqi as well as foreign media as if it was "official"... Needless to say only the ministry of defence can be taken with any seriousness, which long term watchers of Iraqi military affairs should know by now.

Hakim al zamili commented on the delivery of Antonov 32 to iraq by saying "our engineers have modified a Soviet plane jnt a fighter to defend our airspace".... He has been a source of a constant stream of nonsense on iraqi defence affairs for years now.

Solncepek
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Solncepek on Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:00 pm

George Herbert Walker Bush Reveals Cheney Considered Using Nuclear Weapons Against Iraq

George Bush Sr book reveals a more dangerous Dick Cheney than anyone knew

Destiny and Power shows a VP with more authority than almost all his predecessors, making plain Bush Jr’s administration could have been even worse

Julian Borger, Diplomatic editor
    The Guardian, Thursday 5 November 2015

EXCERPT...

This unilateralist inclination was clearly the younger Bush’s choice. It was how he intended from the outset to make his foreign policy distinctive from his father’s. And it was this characteristic that made for such a dangerously volatile and over-reaching US response when the 9/11 attacks came.

There is no doubt that Cheney and Rumsfeld were given more licence and authority than almost all their predecessors once the “war on terror” began. Cheney was certainly the most powerful vice-president of modern times, with a large and assertive staff, something that Bush Sr draws particular attention to.

Cheney and Rumsfeld used their enhanced power to poison the flow of information to the president’s desk about Iraq and its supposed weapons of mass destruction. The vice-president even made repeated trips to CIA headquarters in Langley to bully analysts into producing more hawkish reports, while Rumsfeld’s Pentagon sucked up highly dubious “evidence” from Iraqi exiles and ideological freelancers. But, as even as the ever-forgiving father admits in Meacham’s book, it was President Bush who allowed Cheney to grow his own empire.

SNIP...

Perhaps the most alarming revelation to emerge from the new Bush biography is the elder man’s recollection that while Cheney had been his defence secretary, he had commissioned a study on how many tactical nuclear weapons would be needed to eliminate a division of Saddam Hussein’s Republican Guard.

Apparently the answer was 17, though a more profound conclusion is that Cheney was a more dangerous figure than anyone knew. It adds weight to reporting by Seymour Hersh in the New Yorker that Cheney also contemplated the use of low-yield nuclear bunker-busters against Iran’s underground uranium enrichment facilities. The more we hear about the George W Bush administration, the clearer it becomes that the global damage it wrought could have been even worse.

SOURCE: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/05/george-bush-sr-book-reveals-a-more-dangerous-dick-cheney-than-anyone-knew

iraqidabab
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  iraqidabab on Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:38 pm

Iraq to coordinate its counter-terrorist efforts with Russia — Russian Foreign Ministry

Whether before or after IS is defeated in Iraq, it seems like Iraq will eventually get a closer alliance with Russia, US cannot be trusted. Iraq's parliament is divided, many prefer replacing US with Russia. Only the cabinet ruling power has not yet formally asked Russia. A lot of it will depend on Syrian army/Russian success in Syria.

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:57 pm

iraqidabab wrote:Iraq to coordinate its counter-terrorist efforts with Russia — Russian Foreign Ministry

Whether before or after IS is defeated in Iraq, it seems like Iraq will eventually get a closer alliance with Russia, US cannot be trusted. Iraq's parliament is divided, many prefer replacing US with Russia. Only the cabinet ruling power has not yet formally asked Russia. A lot of it will depend on Syrian army/Russian success in Syria.

More strategic successes from American Foreign policy.

Fred333
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  Fred333 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:01 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    iraqidabab wrote:Iraq to coordinate its counter-terrorist efforts with Russia — Russian Foreign Ministry

More strategic successes from American Foreign policy.

The US through overuse of unhelpful black and white narratives have got themselves in a position where they have a tough choice between supporting Sunnis or Shia, which means either an uncomfortable alliance with either Al-Qaeda (de facto) or Iran/Hezbollah (de facto). Fortunately Russia is more pragmatic and cleaning up the mess caused by neoliberal delusions of grandeur.

Kimppis
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post  Kimppis on Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Have you guys ever seen any articles, pics, etc. about the Gulf War and the invasion of 2003 from the Iraqi point of view? Now that I think about it, I have never seen a single photo that was taken by Saddam's conventional forces.

Here's absolutely nothing: https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/2ilhlt/request_footage_of_the_2003_invasion_of_iraq_from/

par far
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  par far on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:13 pm

A good article on middle east.

http://southfront.org/syria-a-game-by-russias-rules/

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:52 pm

"Russia will supply Iraq with around 400 mine clearing vehicles for removing mine barriers planted by the Islamic State militants in the country, the Iranian news agency Fars reports. The Iraqi Prime-Minister Haider al-Abadi signed an extra agreement with Russia to supply the mine clearing vehicles to the national armed forces, an Iraqi official told the Fars agency. "On arrival in the country the mine clearing vehicles will be used in operations against the IS militants in the Northern and Western parts of Iraq," the official said, adding that the cost of vehicles will be paid by the Iraqi government later. Fars has illustrated its report with a photograph of Russia’s latest BMR-3M Vepr mine clearing vehicle, which however is not an indisputable proof that expressly these machines will be procured.

The BMR-3M Vepr mine clearing vehicle has been developed by the Uralvagonzavod Research and Production Corporation using the T-90 main battle tank /MBT/. It is powered by the V-84MS 840hp engine that used to be mounted on the previous models of the T-72 MBT. Used as the main engineering tool is the KMT-7 wheeled mine plow. Also, it is possible to fit a more advanced tool like KMT-8 or KMT-9.

The vehicle is outfitted with a radio suppression system for neutralizing remotely controlled explosive devices and with a jib crane. The vehicle maximum speed is 60 km/h, the mine sweeping speed reaches 12 km/h. The armament suite includes a remotely controlled antiaircraft automatic weapon system and 12.7 mm NSVT machinegun. Also, it is outfitted with 902V Tucha smoke dischargers. The BMR-3M mine clearing vehicle is fitted with the Contact-1 explosive reactive armor.

The BMR-3M vehicle will find an optimum application for demining operations in Iraq. At the moment the IS militants do not plant the mine field type of explosive barriers. The preferred technique now is "a mine cluster" in which self-made explosive devices and antitank/antipersonnel mines prevail. The mine barriers are usually located near the roads. In this case the least costly and most effective means of overcoming the barrier is the use of the mine clearing vehicle fitted with contact demining sweepers and protected at the MBT level."

Source: http://www.armyrecognition.com/november_2015_global_defense_security_news_uk/russia_will_supply_iraq_with_around_400_mine_clearing_armoured_vehicles_tass_12211151.html

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Iraqi Armed Forces

Post  Militarov on Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:04 am

Iraqi technicians refurbished AMX10P and Panhard VCR in Basra for Security forces.

sheytanelkebir
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  sheytanelkebir on Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:13 pm

and now with the new artillery agreement between france and iraq (signed a couple of days ago)... I believe that the old GCT SP-Howitzers will be refurbished and put back in service too.

Bidoul
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  Bidoul on Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:29 pm

The AMX-10P are robust for sure (even today the french ones that are very very old and were very used are still around 65-70% availability).

But that's kind of weird the upgrade they got isn't the one Nexter sells (or at least not the one the french army got). Also i though the Iraqi ones had the 20mm gun (training ones in the picture?).

It's just a bit fancier BMP-2 though, it's good against small arms and shrapnel but even the ones with added slate armor are unlikely to survive a good RPG hit, and certainly not the modern AT weapons ISIS seems to have a never ending supply of.

The GCT on AMX-30 (though they can be mounted on T-72) are also very robust, fairly well protected and were really designed for being able to send 155mm HE in direct fire for anti-fortification duty (and are obviously great indirect fire too). It's one of the best GIAT design which inspired essentially all the current gen. SPG.

Also I'm fairly the TrF1 (tracted version of the same gun) are being retired so maybe you will inherit them...

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:37 pm

"The Mi-171, Mi-35M and Mi-28NE helicopters in service with the Iraqi Air Force will receive new 80 mm airborne unguided rockets, featuring a high armor piercing capability, that will complement their ammunition suite, the Iraqi Defense Ministry has reported. The defense establishment of that Middle East country declared that the Russian side had handed over to Iraq a batch of "80 mm airborne unguided missiles which will be effective in destroying armored targets." In all likelihood at issue are S-8KOM 80 mm caliber airborne unguided rocket fitted with a reinforced shaped-charge/fragmentation warhead /WH/.

According to unclassified sources, this type of rocket can pierce up to 420 mm of armor. Its warhead contains up to 500 fragments weighing 3 kg each. The missile can be launched out to a range of 1,300 to 4,000 m from the target. The rocket launch weight is 11.3 kg.

Over recent years Iraq has been a major buyer of Russian military hardware. As early as 2012, a package of contracts had been signed between Russia and Iraq, waging war against the Islamic State militants /IS, banned in Russia/, to supply Baghdad with different military equipment, including Mi-28NE and Mi-35 helicopters with a total value of US$ 4.2 billion. The Iraqi authorities had repeatedly shown interest in developing military technical cooperation with Russia."

Source: http://www.airrecognition.com/index.php/archive-world-worldwide-news-air-force-aviation-aerospace-air-military-defence-industry/global-news-2015/november/2169-russia-to-supply-iraq-with-new-80mm-air-to-ground-80mm-unguided-missiles.html

sheytanelkebir
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  sheytanelkebir on Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:41 pm

They also have 122mm rockets on the mi28 now... Pics on iraqi military forum.

http://iraqimilitary.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=857&sid=b1f1aa41c2ad214102061950b7c2dc11&start=435

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:21 pm

Iraqi MoD spokesman announced that airforce recieved of two new Mi-28NE gunship helicopters today, which makes total 13.

08/2014 : 3
    02/2015 : 2
    08/2015 : 4
    09/2015 : 2
    12/2015 : 2

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:58 pm

Seems new Iranian MLRS 122mm HM-20:

sheytanelkebir
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  sheytanelkebir on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:06 am

Militarov wrote:Iraqi MoD spokesman announced that airforce recieved of two new Mi-28NE gunship helicopters today, which makes total 13.

total received now is 7

mack8
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post  mack8 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:09 am

Is it sure it's only 7 so far Sheytan? I don't think anyone managed to track them by their serial numbers yet isn't it? Thanks.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:09 am

sheytanelkebir wrote:
    Militarov wrote:Iraqi MoD spokesman announced that airforce recieved of two new Mi-28NE gunship helicopters today, which makes total 13.

total received now is 7

From what i could see this info was from Iraqi MoD.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:10 am

Iraq snipers with Iranian Sayyad 2 anti-material sniper rifle - Steyr HS50 copy.

sheytanelkebir
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  sheytanelkebir on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:24 pm

mack8 wrote:Is it sure it's only 7 so far Sheytan? I don't think anyone managed to track them by their serial numbers yet isn't it? Thanks.

we've only seen actual delivery confirmation for 7.

the "twitter claims" of delivery of 4 in August 2015 and 2 in September 2015 doesn't have any evidence to support it... There were 4x Mi35M delivered in August 2015. but no statement about Mi28Ne. I am guessing the twitteratti simply misreported the delivery of Mi35M as Mi28s.

Iraqi MOD has only shown off evidence of 7 deliveries so far. The claim of 13 is from twitter.

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:19 am

Militarov wrote:Iraq snipers with Iranian  Sayyad 2 anti-material sniper rifle - Steyr HS50 copy.

WTF is going with BELOMO? I've counted about 60 different products in three fronts (Yemen, Syria, Iraq) and all those come in the heels of Russian "help" under various circumstances. Here you have two PO 12/50 (1st and 3rd pictures), and one POSP 8x42 (2nd picture). Is this Christmas or what?

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:00 am

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Militarov wrote:Iraq snipers with Iranian  Sayyad 2 anti-material sniper rifle - Steyr HS50 copy.

WTF is going with BELOMO? I've counted about 60 different products in three fronts (Yemen, Syria, Iraq) and all those come in the heels of Russian "help" under various circumstances. Here you have two PO 12/50 (1st and 3rd pictures), and one POSP 8x42 (2nd picture). Is this Christmas or what?

Yeah i noticed it too. Probably coming via Russia. Spotted Syrians with POSP 12/50 few weeks ago on their russian supplied .50.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:47 am

Images of the T-72/BMP1s vehicles from the Czech Republic to Iraq today.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:46 am

Current date/time is Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:46 am