Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+10
JohninMK
Russian Fighter
airstrike
KoTeMoRe
KiloGolf
AlfaT8
GarryB
max steel
George1
Russian Patriot
14 posters

United States Marine Corps: News

AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 Empty Re: United States Marine Corps: News

Post  AlfaT8 Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:49 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:Could samone explain to the USMC that the DD funnies and the AVRE's weren't exactly a stellar success in D-day.

Not to mention this thing looks like it came straight out of D-day, i can only imagine what the guy in a nearby 2S9 Nona-S would do if they saw this thing.

Target Practice. However this is supposed to be a second line craft. I don't think for the love of God this would go head on underfire. Which should be its only merit actually. So more Space Ballpen idiocy from the USMC.

That's why i mentioned the amphibious Nona from the airborne, they're more likely to encounter this thing, since they work behind enemy line, not sure if Russian marines could also do so.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 Empty Re: United States Marine Corps: News

Post  KoTeMoRe Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:55 pm

Militarov wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:Could samone explain to the USMC that the DD funnies and the AVRE's weren't exactly a stellar success in D-day.

Not to mention this thing looks like it came straight out of D-day, i can only imagine what the guy in a nearby 2S9 Nona-S would do if they saw this thing.

Target Practice. However this is supposed to be a second line craft. I don't think for the love of God this would go head on underfire. Which should be its only merit actually. So more Space Ballpen idiocy from the USMC.

Its what we here would call third eshalon vehicle, used purely for supply and disaster relief, wounded evacuation and similar non combat tasks. It would not be near actual combat in ideal situations.

I agree but the pace of the thing has nothing on a normal CASEVAC/MEDEVAC or AIR-FRP. It's yet another Space Ballpen. But more power to the USMC that can have cash to spare from the US budget.

When i said medievac i had something of this sort in my mind:

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 1920px-090411-A-1786S-088_-_USNS_Comfort_%28T-AH-20%29_in_Hati

Transporting light wounded from shore to hospital ships. Well yeah it surely is slow but not much need for it to be fast to be honest. I like the idea in general especially for container towing from casual civilian container ships for military needs to shore. But surely knowing US it will cost couple million USD per piece, but in general disregarding that, i like it.

It's actually a fourth of the capacity of the current LCAC. While being slower*.

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 Lcac-landing-craft-for-marines-military_00163670

The craft here is clearly a amphibious mule (Hippo) not exactly the best tool for rapid evacuation. What could be top notch would however be a remote controlled unit.

Post  Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:02 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:

Its what we here would call third eshalon vehicle, used purely for supply and disaster relief, wounded evacuation and similar non combat tasks. It would not be near actual combat in ideal situations.

I agree but the pace of the thing has nothing on a normal CASEVAC/MEDEVAC or AIR-FRP. It's yet another Space Ballpen. But more power to the USMC that can have cash to spare from the US budget.

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 1920px-090411-A-1786S-088_-_USNS_Comfort_%28T-AH-20%29_in_Hati

Transporting light wounded from shore to hospital ships. Well yeah it surely is slow but not much need for it to be fast to be honest. I like the idea in general especially for container towing from casual civilian container ships for military needs to shore. But surely knowing US it will cost couple million USD per piece, but in general disregarding that, i like it.

It's actually a fourth of the capacity of the current LCAC. While being slower*.

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 Lcac-landing-craft-for-marines-military_00163670

The craft here is clearly a amphibious mule (Hippo) not exactly the best tool for rapid evacuation. What could be top notch would however be a remote controlled unit.

It will be cheaper than LCAC even by American prices. And it can move on solid soil too. It goes to container ship, takes cointainer, swims to shore, moves with it to nearby FOB, drops it and goes back. Quite nice when you think about it.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:08 pm

Militarov wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:

It will be cheaper than LCAC even by American prices. And it can move on solid soil too. It goes to container ship, takes cointainer, swims to shore, moves with it to nearby FOB, drops it and goes back. Quite nice when you think about it.

But as a purely engineering/logistical craft we're in agreement. This remote controlled, would be great. Having 5 of these working in loops while the troops perform other duties is VERY nice. However it needs to be sped up and be bigger.

Post  Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:26 pm

But as a purely engineering/logistical craft we're in agreement. This remote controlled, would be great. Having 5 of these working in loops while the troops perform other duties is VERY nice. However it needs to be sped up and be bigger.

Well, still a prototype from what i managed to pick around, we shall see what happens in future.
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:41 am

APKWS II deployed on USMC Harriers

The US Marine Corps (USMC) has begun to field the fixed-wing variant of the Advanced Precision Kill Weapons System II (APKWS) on AV-8B Harrier II aircraft forward deployed to Bahrain as part of Operation 'Inherent Resolve', the US Central Command mission to degrade and defeat the Islamic State.

The accelerated delivery into theatre - announced by the Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) on 30 March - comes just seven months after a formal requirement was raised by Marine Corps headquarters. Fielding of this rapid deployment capability has seen the AV-8B become the first tactical aircraft (TACAIR) platform to integrate APKWS II.

Developed and manufactured by BAE Systems Information and Electronic Systems Integration, APKWS II is a low-cost precision-guided 2.75-inch rocket that integrates a low-cost Distributed Aperture Semi-Active Laser Seeker (DASALS) guidance section with existing Hydra 70 rocket motors and warheads. Designed as a 'plug and play' kit, the DASALS unit is installed between the Hydra 70 warhead and the rocket motor; the seeker aperture is divided into four elements, with each element placed on the four wings of the guidance section to provide an integrated navigation solution of the weapon.

The USMC raised the requirement to introduce the fixed-wing APKWS to quickly provide the AV-8B with a low-cost, low-collateral damage, high-precision weapon offering improved weapon-to-target pairing. Two NAVSEA programme offices based at Naval Air Station Patuxent River - AV-8B Harrier Weapon System (PMA-257) and the Direct and Time Sensitive Strike (PMA-242) - have worked together to define a two-phase programme to rapidly release the APKWS II to service on the Harrier II platform: the first phase, which has included the delivery of 80 guidance kits, has expedited fielding of a limited AV-8B fixed-wing APKWS II employment flight envelope capability; the second phase will expand fixed-wing APKWS II employment envelope limits to the maximum extent possible for the AV-8B.
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:11 pm

The “vast majority” of U.S. Marine Corps aircraft can’t Fly

USMC Air star-level leadership has mismanaged their forces. What the Marines did last year is to use a lot of time, energy and money to convert a combat-capable squadron at Yuma MCAS to a useless squadron that MAY be deployed next year to....JAPAN, and then to complain about it. Now this year the Air Force at Hill is going to do a similar thing, and also complain about it. USAF may deploy an F-35 squadron "OVERSEAS" to...Alaska!....Just think about how fortunate we'll be to have these worthless aircraft salted away in Japan and Alaska. Out of the way.

More money for USMC would be misspent on more useless faulty F-35 pre-production prototypes which would help convert another squadron from combat-capable to useless except as a basis for PR news releases on successful this and successful that, usually including sensor fusing, but never including actual combat.The Marine Corps has sent Congress an unfunded priorities list for fiscal year 2016 totaling $2.1 billion, the bulk of which would go toward the purchase of six additional Lockheed Martin-manufactured F-35B Joint Strike Fighters,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look at USMC aviation in the current age of budget cuts (good luck, of course, getting other nations to see it that way) .

The inventory: “Out of 276 F/A-18 Hornet strike fighters in the Marine Corps inventory, only about 30% are ready to fly, according to statistics provided by the Corps. Similarly, only 42 of 147 heavy-lift CH-53E Super Stallion helicopters are airworthy.”

The dollars: “U.S. military spending has dropped from $691 billion in 2010 to $560 billion in 2015. The cuts came just as the planes were returning from 15 years of war, suffering from overuse and extreme wear and tear. Many highly trained mechanics in the aviation depots left for jobs in the private sector.”

The result: “Cannibalization, or taking parts from one multi-million dollar aircraft to get other multi-million dollar aircraft airborne, has become the norm.” A lot more ugliness in that report.

To get one Hornet flying again, Marines at Beaufort stripped a landing gear door off a mothballed museum jet. The door, found on the flight deck of the World War II-era USS Yorktown, was last manufactured over a decade ago.

“Imagine taking a 1995 Cadillac and trying to make it a Ferrari,” Sgt. Argentry Uebelhoer said days before embarking on his third deployment. “You're trying to make it faster, more efficient, but it's still an old airframe … [and] the aircraft is constantly breaking.”

Maintaining the high-performance Hornets is a challenge with 30,000 fewer Marines, part of a downsizing that has been ongoing since 2010.

“We don't have enough of them to do the added work efficiently. We are making it a lot harder on the young marines who are fixing our aircraft,” said Maj. Michael Malone of Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 31.

Sometimes it takes the Marines 18 months to get parts for early model F-18 jets whose production was halted in 2001.

“We are an operational squadron. We are supposed to be flying jets, not building them,” said Lt. Col. Harry Thomas, Commanding Officer of VMFA-312, a Marine Corps F/A-18 squadron based at Beaufort.

The cuts include those made by the Obama administration as well as the sequestration cutbacks agreed to by Congress.

Asked about the Marines’ concerns on Friday, White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest put the onus on Congress to right the problem – and said Republicans have blocked spending reforms that would have helped military readiness. He said Republicans “championed” the sequester cuts.

Lt. Col Thomas, call sign “Crash,” deployed to the Pacific with 10 jets last year. Only seven made it. A fuel leak caused his F/A-18 to catch fire in Guam. Instead of ejecting, he landed safely, saving taxpayers $29 million.

Thomas has deployed eight times in all, including six to Iraq and Afghanistan. Right now only two of his 14 Hornets can fly. His Marines deploy in three months.

“We are supposed to be doing the type of maintenance like you would take your car to Jiffy Lube for replacing fluids, doing minor inspections, changing tires, things of that nature, not building airplanes from the ground up,” he added.

The aircraft shortage means pilots spend less time in the air.

“This last 30 days our average flight time per pilot was just over 4 hours,” said Thomas.

Ten years ago, Marine Corps pilots averaged between 25 and 30 hours in the air each month, according to one pilot. “This is the worst I’ve seen it,” he added. Another pilot who asked to remain nameless told Fox News that Chinese and Russian pilots fly more hours each month than Marine Corps pilots.

Marine Corps F/A-18 Hornets are supposed to have a shelf life of 6,000 hours, but they are being refurbished to extend the life to 8,000. There is talk that some aircraft might be pushed to 10,000 hours while the Marine Corps waits for the 5th-generation Joint Strike Fighter, which is slated to replace the F-18, but has been plagued by cost overruns.

“Our aviation readiness is really my No. 1 concern,” Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Robert Neller told Congress last month. “We don’t have enough airplanes that we would call ‘ready basic aircraft."

Col. Sean Salene oversees nine helicopter squadrons at Marine Corps Air Station New River in North Carolina.

“Unlike previous wars, we did not have a period of time afterwards where we did not have tasking,” said Col. Salene. “There was no time to catch our breath.”

Maj. Matt Gruba, executive officer of HMH-461, a Super Stallion squadron at New River took Fox News reporters inside one of the large helicopters, which has sent thousands of fully loaded Marines into combat over the past three decades.

Inside, hundreds of small wires cover every surface of the helicopter except the hard non-skid deck. It’s up to the Marine maintainers to inspect each one. One failure could be catastrophic, as happened in 2014 when a Navy MH-53E Sea Dragon crashed off the coast of Virginia after a fire engulfed the aircraft due to faulty fuel lines.

"It would be easy to miss some small minute detail, some small amount of wear [which] could potentially, eventually cause a fire,” Gruba said

Lt. Gen. Jon M. "Dog" Davis is the Marine Corps' deputy commandant for aviation, tasked with getting his aircraft back in the air.

Davis ordered the Corps to refurbish all of the old CH-53E helicopters to their pre-war condition, including fixing the chafing wires and jerryrigged fuel lines that were repaired in theater.

"The biggest thing is right now after 15 years of hard service, of hard fighting and deploying around the world, is we don't have enough airplanes on the flight line,” Davis said.

The cuts have not sat well within the military leadership. Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates told Fox News’ Bret Baier in a recent interview that he felt betrayed when told to cut billions from the budget after having already done so.

“I guess I’d have to say I felt double-crossed. After all those years in Washington, I was naïve,” he said.

And last week, the Army’s top officer, Gen. Mark Milley, said cuts could mean more American troops could lose their lives.

“If one or more possible unforeseen contingencies happen, then the United States Army currently risks not having ready forces available to provide flexible options to our national leadership. ... And most importantly, we risk incurring significantly increased U.S. casualties,” Milley testified last week on Capitol Hill.

Post  Guest Sun May 08, 2016 10:40 pm

The Marine Corps’ first two Kaman K-MAX Helicopters arrived at Marine Corps Air Station Yuma:

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 Ch6-71dWkAQsmZt

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 Ch6-8yqXAAAxe3Q

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 Ch6-9d0WEAUhj3z

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 Ch6-3xjWUAAnMXa
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun May 15, 2016 7:14 am

U.S. Marine Corps has ordered to Bell Helicopter 12 UH-1Y Venom and 16 AH-1Z Viper helicopters

KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Sun May 15, 2016 7:22 am

Militarov wrote:The Marine Corps’ first two Kaman K-MAX Helicopters arrived at Marine Corps Air Station Yuma:

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 Ch6-8yqXAAAxe3Q

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 Ch6-9d0WEAUhj3z

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 Ch6-3xjWUAAnMXa

Ugly as sin, welcome to the 60's America!

Before you guys make any remark I know that Kaman's line of business is the contrarotating rotors chopper since the 50's...It was a joke.

Post  Guest Sun May 15, 2016 3:36 pm

[quote="KoTeMoRe"]
    Militarov wrote:The Marine Corps’ first two Kaman K-MAX Helicopters arrived at Marine Corps Air Station Yuma:

Before you guys make any remark I know that Kaman's line of business is the contrarotating rotors chopper since the 50's...It was a joke.

Great potential for umanned variant tho Smile
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon May 16, 2016 6:17 am

It looks ugly but is a lot simpler than the very complex system that Kamov use for the same effect.

The twin main rotor design is very efficient and effective... of course what ever you do do not approach one of these helicopters from the side with the rotors going... Wink

For unmanned models if it is a small aircraft then the design Kamov uses is actually rather better... it is only when you get aircraft that are more than 10 tons in weight that the engineering becomes complex and would require enormous expense in developing... there is a reason only Kamov make coaxial rotor helos that big...
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Tue May 31, 2016 7:46 pm

USMC studies fleet-wide weaponisation of C-130Js and MV-22Bs

The US Marine Corps (USMC) is looking to expand its fleet of weaponised Lockheed Martin KC-130J Hercules turboprop aircraft that are capable of extended endurance multi-sensor imagery reconnaissance and close air support (CAS) in low-threat scenarios.

10 of the USMC's planned fleet of 79 KC-130Js have been modernised with the Harvest Hercules Airborne Weapons Kit (HAWK) package that includes a roll-on/roll-off dual-screen fire-control console mounted in a removable platform in the aircraft's cargo compartment, a Lockheed Martin AN/AAQ-30 target sight sensor mounted under the port-side wing fuel tank, and a Common Data Link.

The HAWK weapons comprise four AGM-114P Hellfire II laser-guided air-to-surface missiles mounted on the port-side refuelling pylon, and MBDA GBU-44/E Viper Strike and Raytheon Griffin A air-to-surface missiles launched from a ramp-mounted 10-round rack and a pressurised dispenser dubbed the 'Derringer Door'. A sideways-firing Mk 44 30 mm cannon has been deferred to a later Block III upgrade.

The 2016 instalment of the corps' aviation plan calls for providing the HAWK configurations to all its C-130Js and enhancing the service's Bell-Boeing MV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft with a similar weapons package. USMC spokeswoman Captain Sarah Burns confirmed that the corps is studying further weaponisation of both fleets.

Post  Guest Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:53 am

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 CkXOb1wUoAAgYG2

Marine firefighters put out a fire during a fire response training scenario at MCAS Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:17 pm

Marines May Protect Tanks With Active and EW Protection Systems, Much Like Ship Self-Defense

Marine Corps is partnering with the Army to test out the Israeli Trophy Active Protection System (APS). The Army is leasing four systems and will experiment with their Stryker combat vehicle and M1A2 tanks. The Marine Corps is currently modifying some of its M1A1 tanks to install mounts for the Trophy system, and the service will later work with the Army to test the protective system on the Marine tanks against anti-tank guided missiles and RPGs, he told USNI News after the hearing.

The Trophy system has both an active and a soft component. When sensors detect an incoming threat, the active system fires small rounds to deflect the threat, Walsh said, noting that “when they’re going that fast, it doesn’t take much to deflect them away.”

The soft side uses jammers in the same way ship and aircraft self-protection systems do.

“The anti-ship missiles are getting better and better, so the Navy’s having to continue to put better capabilities on the ships to be able to defeat it,” he said, with the Marine Corps now seeing those same advances in anti-tank technologies.

“I think that’s the side we’re really going to benefit from the Navy capabilities, because the Navy has some very good EW (electronic warfare) capabilities. So getting into our warfare centers and working with the Navy on how to get better at electronic warfare capabilities, that’s the soft side of it.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marines To Pair Laser Weapon With Stinger Missile For Mobile Ground Unit Protection

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 Screen-Shot-2016-06-23-at-7.04.20-PM

The Marine Corps is moving towards a future in which small dispersed units can protect themselves from incoming enemy drones with laser weapons and from missiles and aircraft with Stinger missiles, with both weapons netted into a detection system and mounted atop Humvees, Joint Light Tactical Vehicles and other combat vehicles.

Lt. Gen. Robert Walsh, deputy commandant of the Marine Corps for combat development and integration, said a Ground-Based Air Defense (GBAD) Directed Energy On-The-Move concept demonstrator with the Office of Naval Research is nearing the start of Phase 3, moving from firing a 30-kilowatt laser at a target from atop a stationary ground vehicle to firing while on the go. Upon completion of the ONR program, around 2022, the GBAD DE OTM system would transition into a program of record in the Marine Corps and likely reside alongside the Stinger missile system as a ground unit self-protection system – giving those units a much-needed upgrade after operating with the Stinger for decades.

Walsh said the Marines operated in a permissive environment in Iraq and Afghanistan for 15 years, “but when we see near-peer competitors, the development that’s going on in Russia and China, it is really waking us up to what we’re going to have to do in the future,” noting the concepts of operations and requirements for future systems are already evolving rapidly to keep up.

“So we look at our air defense capability as certainly a weak area that we have not upgraded in a long time because we haven’t had to deal with that in the operating environment we’ve been in,” he told the audience at the second-annual Directed Energy Summit, cohosted by Booz Allen Hamilton and the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessment.

In the short term, the Marines are fielding the new Ground/Air Task Oriented Radar (G/ATOR) to detect incoming threats and the Common Aviation Command and Control System (CAC2S) to integrate all the data into a single operating picture. That data will be pushed to the the Direct Air Support Center (DASC), who could in turn give low-altitude air defense (LAAD) batteries specific information about incoming threats.

“Get them the feed so they can see it, now they know the target is coming and they can shoot it with a Stinger, compared to now where the Marines send someone out with binoculars to look for threats in the air, Walsh told reporters after his conference presentation.

“But the laser would tie right into that,” Walsh said, noting that the GBAD DE OTM laser system could be installed alongside the Stinger launcher, giving the LAAD batteries the option of using the laser for smaller threats – Group 1 through 3 unmanned aerial vehicles, for now – or using the missile for high-altitude UAVs, cruise missiles or manned aircraft.

“Eventually if you could transition away from the missiles to go directed energy-only, we would do that” if the laser technology improved sufficiently, he added.

The Army is also pursuing a mobile laser weapon, and Walsh said that though their efforts are separate for now, “once we see where we’re coming out of that, working closely with the Army, we see ourselves paralleling into a joint program of record on this.” The hope is that this joint program could push the Marines’ current 30kw laser into something smaller and more powerful, enabling it to take on larger UAVs and eventually rockets, artillery, mortars or even larger threats.

The Army is also pursuing a larger base-defense laser weapon. The Marine Corps will not participate in that development program, as the service is focused on mobile systems for dispersed ground units, but if the Army succeeded in fielding a program the Marines could consider buying the system for stationary forward operating bases as needed, he said.

On the aviation side, Walsh said there is already directed energy as a self-protection tool included in the Directed Infrared Countermeasures (DIRCM) system on the CH-53 to fight off incoming threats. DIRCM will eventually be fielded on the H-1 helicopters and V-22 Ospreys. For offensive purposes, Walsh said the KC-130Js will be outfitted for the Harvest Hawk weapons capability and adding in directed energy weapons may be a natural follow-on.

Walsh said that DIRCM is fielded now, counter-UAV lasers are getting close and counter-artillery lasers are farther out, but all the technologies are maturing well. What he’d like to see next is a field exercise to “get comfortable with the technology, and I think everything is moving to how quickly can we get out there and use it. And I would push, from my standpoint with the commandant would be, let’s look at what the Navy did with Ponce,” Walsh said, referring to the USS Ponce (AFSB(I)-15), the converted afloat forward staging base that hosts the Navy’s Laser Weapon System (LaWS).

“Now, people will say that’s a different environment, it’s over water, it’s not over land where you might have collateral damage and things like that,” Walsh told reporters.

“We could work through those things, and the Navy’s kind of broken some trail on that already with Ponce, so I think we’d be willing to get that out, obviously experiment with it, and then get it out there and field it and see where we go.”
    max steel
    max steel

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 Empty With most of its F/A-18 strike fighters

Post  max steel Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:44 pm

Marines pull aircraft from 'boneyard,' get used Navy jets amid aviation crisis

With most of its F/A-18 strike fighters unable to fly on any given day, the Marine Corps is resurrecting 23 Hornets from the “boneyard” and getting another seven aircraft from the Navy.

The move comes as the Marine Corps and Navy struggle to keep F/A-18s in the skies until the F-35 joint strike fighter can replace the services’ aging aircraft.

As of late April, only 87 of the Marine Corps’ fleet of 276 Hornets were flyable(32% availability), Marine Corps officials told Congress. Many planes are grounded due to a lack of spare parts and other maintenance issues. Obama has not provided money for spares.

max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:54 pm

A Marine Corps pilot has died in a training flight

A Marine Corps pilot was killed Thursday when an F/A-18C Hornet went down during training near Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, California, Marine officials announced today.

The pilot and aircraft were attached to 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, out of Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, Marine spokesman Maj. Christian Devine said.

The identity of the pilot has not been released, pending a 24-hour period following notification of family members.

Officials said the cause of the crash is under investigation.

Speaking at a think tank event in Washington, D.C., on Friday, the Corps' top aviation officer, Lt. Gen. Jon Davis, offered thoughts and prayers for the families of the pilot, adding that he didn't have all the details about the incident.

While Marine officials have testified this year that readiness challenges have resulted in significant reductions in flight hours for Marine pilots across nearly every aviation platform, Davis said he did not believe that was a contributing factor in the tragedy.

"I track [flight hours] each week. This particular unit was doing OK," he said. He said he did not believe that reduced flight hours had made squadrons less safe, but he said the Corps was "not as proficient as we should be" in its aviation component.

This is the second fatal Hornet crash for the Marine Corps in the last 12 months. In October 2015, a Marine pilot was killed when a 3rd MAW F/A-18C aircraft attached to Marine Attack Fighter Squadron 232 crashed near Royal Air Force airfield Lakenheath in England during a flight from Miramar to Bahrain.
    airstrike
    airstrike

Post  airstrike Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:03 am

US Marine corps. amphibious assault vehicle to get upgrades

http://echelon-defense.com/2016/09/13/us-marine-corps-amphibious-assault-vehicle-to-get-upgrades/
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:53 am

US Marines to Train on New F-35s Before They Deploy

Read more: https://sputniknews.com/military/201610121046240516-marines-train-f35s-before-deployment/

US Marines Special Ops in Iraq to Launch New Surveillance Drone

Read more: https://sputniknews.com/military/201610121046240170-us-marines-fly-new-drone/
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:41 am

US Marines Get New Armored Amphibious Combat Vehicles

The latest delivery of Amphibious Assault Vehicles 1.1 (AAV) is said to be deadlier and better-protected, but still has "minimal swimming ability."

The next fleet of sea-based vehicles can navigate tricky coastal waters, launch more lethal weapons, and initiate faster and safer attacks from "beyond-the-horizon," according to Scout. Nevertheless, the oceangoing vehicles might actually be part of a plan to divide labor during sea missions conducted by the US Marine Corps that require less swimming capabilities.

The AAV "represents a step" in a strategy to reduce swimming requirements for ground vehicles, allowing the Corps to "purchase a vehicle optimized for land warfare without having to accept tradeoffs to provide amphibious capability,"
    according to a report published by the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments (CSBA).

The think tank added that "an armored vehicle that can swim ashore from over-the-horizon…has become irrelevant." The logic is that an amphibious warship, able to creep up from a distance of 25 miles, has become obsolete due to advances in enemy threat capabilities. "Modern threats require stand-off of 300 miles or more, far too great a distance for an armored vehicle to swim," authors Bryan Clark and Jesse Sloman wrote in December 2016.

The US Marine Corps expects to add at least 200 of the hybrid vehicles. Kirk Mulls, AAV 1.1 program director, said that it "gives us the ability to operate throughout a range of operations" that were not possible with the earlier version that lacked the survivability upgrade added to the newest fleet. The commander acknowledged concerns reported by CSBA, noting that emerging threats require a new vehicle beyond the scope of the capabilities provided by the recent upgrade.

Other features include stabilized.50-caliber machine gun nests and Mk 19 belt-fed automatic grenade launchers that can be fired from within the protected confines of the vehicle via the Marines’ Common Remotely Operated Weapons System.

According to a Congressional Research Service brief written by Andrew Feickert, a specialist in ground forces, the defense contractor BAE was awarded a $103-million contract in 2015 to deliver 16 prototypes by 2017. The military budget submitted for fiscal year 2017 requested an additional $157.9 million for research, development, testing and evaluation, the brief added.

https://sputniknews.com/military/201702021050258114-us-marines-armored-combat-vehicles/
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:00 pm

The US Marine Corps plans to purchase 50,000 Heckler & Koch HK416 automatic rifles

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 4585524_original

In early August 2017, at the US Federal Business Opportunities (FBO) website, the Commission issued a request for the purchase of a 5.56 mm M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle (IAR) automatic rifle from Heckler & Koch 50814.

The request is theoretically open to other companies that will be able to apply for the supply of such a number of rifles, with the specifications and specifications of the M27 IAR, whose cost is $ 3,000 per unit.

The US military has already installed several thousand [6,500] M27 IAR rifles, which are a modification of the Heckler & Koch HK416 rifle, which now also goes under the designation HF416 instead of the FAMAS rifle and the French army.

Last year, the Heckler & Koch rifle was tested for possible use as a "standard" weapon in the 3rd battalion of the 5th US Marine Regiment stationed in California. With a magazine for 30 cartridges, with the obtained results for reliability, effective range of shooting, ease of use and ergonomics, this rifle has a great chance of success.

According to specialized US websites, the procedure for the purchase of M27 rifles should end the use of the M16A4 automatic rifles and the Colt M4 carbines, which are currently in service with US marines.

The bmpd comment. The M27 rifles (Heckler & Koch HK416) have been used in the US Marine Corps since 2010 as a weapon for reinforcing the infantry compartment, partially replacing the 5.56 mm M249 machine guns, and in some ways performing the same role as the marksman rifle. Now one M27 rifle in the ILC is in service with a section of four people - accordingly, there are three rifles in the compartment, a total of 28 in the company, and a total of 84 in the Marine Corps Battalion.

Now it is planned to adopt the M27 for service as the main standard rifle of the USMC.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2805846.html
    Russian Fighter
    Russian Fighter

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 Empty Marines Testing HIMARS from an Amphib...

Post  Russian Fighter Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:33 pm

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:25 pm

USMC AAV7 Assault Amphibious Vehicle survivability upgrade program terminated

The U.S. Marine Corps is terminating its Assault Amphibious Vehicle (AAV7) survivability upgrade program, InsideDefense reports. It will instead acquire a larger fleet of new Amphibious Combat Vehicles. Marine Corps spokesman Manny Pachecho said the decision stems from a renewed focus on modernization in support of the National Defense Strategy, according to InsideDefense.com. The service issued a 90-day partial stop work order to Science Applications International Corp, but SAIC said they will still delivery four vehicles over the 90-day period.

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 USMC_AAV7_Assault_Amphibious_Vehicle_survivability_upgrade_program_terminated
    BAE Systems teamed with Iveco with a version of the Italian SuperAV, and beat out a version of the Terrex 2 offered by SAIC/ST Kinetics (Picture source: US Naval Institute)

The survivability upgrade was intended to keep a portion of the AAV7 fleet operational through at least 2035 to serve alongside the new ACV. SAIC was selected in March 2015 to build 10 prototypes for the survivability upgrade under a $53 million contract. Additional options would lead to testing and LRIP of 52 vehicles for operational test and evaluation. The Marines were planning to put the prototypes through their paces before approving full-rate production of 392 upgraded vehicles (out of a fleet of around 1,000 vehicles). The Marine Corps requested $156.2 million for AAV7 work in FY19, with $814.2 million programmed through FY23.

The program's termination will result in the procurement of additional ACVs. BAE Systems won the ACV Increment 1.1 competition in June, and the company was awarded a $198 million contract to provide 30 low-rate initial production vehicles. The contract includes options for 204 ACVs over four years, worth $1.2 billion. Deliveries are scheduled to begin in fall 2019. The Marines funded another 30 vehicles in FY19, and plans to procure 52 vehicles in FY20 and 96 in FY21.

The ACV program's second phase, Increment 1.2, called for the delivery of up to 490 additional vehicles featuring various mission variants (command and control, logistics, recovery, and possibly turreted). The Marines will develop a revamped procurement target in the wake of the AAV7 termination. Increment 1.1 vehicles were expected to feature basic shore-to-shore swim capabilities to cross rivers and small bodies of water, while Increment 1.2 vehicles would add improved swim capabilities, enabling ship-to-shore travel. Both industry teams met Increment 1.2 swim capabilities with their Increment 1.1 offerings. Increment 1.2 vehicles will also feature additional weapons.

BAE Systems teamed with Iveco with a version of the Italian SuperAV, and beat out a version of the Terrex 2 offered by SAIC/ST Kinetics. Both teams were originally awarded EMD contracts in November 2015 to provide 16 prototypes each for testing.

The existing AAV7 can carry 25 combat-ready Marines, but the ACV sacrifices troop capacity for increased survivability and mobility. The SuperAV has a capacity of 13 Marines and three crew members, enough to carry a full 12-man rifle squad (the Marines recently announced a move from a 13-man squad to a 12-man squad).

https://www.armyrecognition.com/september_2018_global_defense_security_army_news_industry/usmc_aav7_assault_amphibious_vehicle_survivability_upgrade_program_terminated.html
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:01 pm

Pretty impressive surf performance.

The U.S. Marine Corps has announced that the new Amphibious Combat Vehicle offers ‘significantly greater survivability, mobility’ than the predecessor.

According to a statement, the Marine Corps’ Amphibious Combat Vehicle program reached another milestone, proving the vehicle’s ability to deliver future combat power from ship to shore and follow-on objectives. Program Executive Officer Land Systems recently completed testing on the ACV, which proved the new vehicles’ ability to not only take on challenging surf, but also complete a long swim from ship to shore and back.

These major accomplishments facilitated the program moving from what was originally envisioned as an incremental approach, to one that will be known as the ACV family of vehicles, without the nomenclature of ACV 1.1 or ACV 1.2.

In June 2018, Marine Corps Systems Command awarded BAE Systems a contract to begin low rate initial production of the amphibious vehicles. Since then, the Advanced Amphibious Assault program office at Program Executive Officer Land Systems has continued conducting a variety of robust swimming and other tests on the platform.

Most recently, the ACV program office successfully completed 1.2 anticipated requirement testing, and determined the ACV technologically capable of fully replacing the legacy AAV.

“We’ve landed on a vehicle that is very comparable in the ocean or in the water to the current AAV, with respect to performance,” said Col. Kirk Mullins, program manager for Advanced Amphibious Assault at PEO Land Systems. “We have a vehicle that has significantly greater survivability and mobility than the current platform, and one that—through demonstrated operational tests—the Marines are very happy with.”

Several capabilities were evaluated during recent testing, including the vehicle’s ability to embark and deploy off of an amphibious ship, its ship-to-shore threshold and a high-surf test, which subjected the vehicle to aggressive surf zones with waves reaching over six feet, said Mullins.

“The program office tested the vehicle to all of the ACV 1.2 transition requirements, and even subjected the vehicle to 9-foot waves without issues,” he said. “Because of this, the Marine Corps now was the opportunity to combine the program into a singular ACV family of vehicles program.”

The platform met the 1.2 requirements earlier than anticipated, which the program office credits in part to the competitive process by which the vehicle was selected.

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 5060647-min-1024x576

https://defence-blog.com/army/marine-corps-new-combat-vehicles-proved-capable-fully-replacing-predecessor.html
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri May 10, 2019 11:46 am

US Marine Corps has selected the NSM missile for coastal mobile anti-ship complex

On May 7, 2019, the American corporation Raytheon reported that it had received a contract worth $ 47.59 million from the US Marine Corps to create a mobile coastal anti-ship missile system using NSM (Naval Strike Missiles) missiles developed by the Norwegian Kongsberg group.

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 6828066_original
    Test run of the Kongsberg NSM anti-ship missile by the US Army with an experienced four-container coastal mobile launcher on an Oshkosh 10 × 10 PLS heavy vehicle chassis during the SINKEX multinational exercise (part of the RIMPAC-18 maritime exercise) at the Barkin Sands training ground in the Hawaiian Islands, 07.07.2018 c) US Army

Thus, the NSM rocket won the operational tender for the NEMSIS (Navy-Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System) program launched in January 2018 to create a mobile coastal anti-ship missile system for the US Marine Corps. Military tests of the new onshore complex with the NSM rocket should be launched in 2020.

Recall that in May 2018, the NSM consortium Raytheon and Kongsberg presented the ASMR also won the US Navy's OTH WS (Over-the-Horizon Weapon Systems) tender to equip the littoral LCS warships of the US Navy. In addition to the LCS ships, the NSM rocket selected by the OTH WS program should also be used to equip the promising US FFG (X) frigates, and, possibly, other US Navy surface ships.

As in the OTH WS tender of the US Navy, the Boeing Harpoon Block II Plus and Lockheed Martin Long-Range Anti-Ship Missile (LRASM) missiles were the formal competitors of the NEMSIS program for the NEMSIS program, but from the very beginning it was stated that both of these missiles did not fully comply with the requirements of the marines as well as the desire of the Marine Corps to shorten the time of procurement and reduce costs through the acquisition of the same system (NSM), which the US Navy had previously chosen.

The US Army is interested in the possibility of adopting the NSM in the form of a coastal mobile anti-ship missile system. The coastal complex with NSM missiles is already in service with the Polish Navy.

In July 2018, during the multinational exercises SINKEX (part of the sea exercises RIMPAC-18), the US Army at the Barkin Sands missile range in the Hawaiian Islands already conducted a test launch of the NSM anti-ship missile with an experienced four-container coastal mobile launcher on the chassis of a heavy Oshkosh 10 × 10 PLS vehicle . The launched NSM rocket at a distance of 116 km successfully hit the decommissioned US large landing ship LST 1191 Racine used as a target ship. However, for the standard launcher created by the mobile coastal anti-ship missile system for the US Marine Corps, according to known data, it is planned to use a 6x6 vehicle chassis.

The NSM missile that entered service with the Norwegian Navy since 2012, since its inception, has aroused great interest among the US military. The US Navy conducted the first test launches of this missile from the LCS 4 Coronado in September 2014. The rocket was officially proposed by the Raytheon and Kongsberg consortium for the tender for the OTH WS program in May 2015. In July 2016, Raytheon and Kongsberg entered into an agreement to manufacture NSM missiles for the US military by assembling them primarily from Norwegian components at the Raytheon facility in Tuscon, Arizona. Launchers will be manufactured at Raytheon's Louisville, Kentucky facility.

United States Marine Corps: News - Page 2 6828339_original

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3637489.html

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am