Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Share

    Ghoster
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 102
    Points : 106
    Join date : 2015-05-01
    Location : Lithuania

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Ghoster on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:09 pm

    Neutrality wrote:Yeah I get it already. Everything is lost, better pack in and go. All because of 1 single decision that you and I don't fully understand.

    No. You don't understand that it's not in Russia's interest to allow NAF to fight back. Doing that would increase risk of more EU sanctions and would once again create problems for its economy.

    Really, just read something like this:
    http://www.ft.com/fastft/278101/russian-markets-rocket-higher-on-minsk-ii

    Then you have the announcement of Novorossiya project "being frozen", Commander Mozgovoy being assassinated just days later, and then Kremlin spokesperson announcing how much influence they had on Novorossiya choosing to become an autonomous region instead, while cities like Gorlovka and Donetsk are getting bombarded everyday by Ukrainian army with no repercussions.

    I have started to think along the lines of what points of Minsk 2 weren't made public. Did Ukraine agree to not dispute Crimean territory in return for Russia not intervening and allowing Ukraine to occupy the rest of Donbass by any means possible?

    Ghoster
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 102
    Points : 106
    Join date : 2015-05-01
    Location : Lithuania

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Ghoster on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:12 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:

    Tsar=Emperor

    Emperor=Member of  feudal nobility

    Feudal nobility=medieval oligarchs

    You do realise that the Tzar that you get off so hard on was just the biggest oligarch of it's time?

    And all this time I thought that you hated oligarchs... lol1  It turned out you are their biggest fan!

    Seriously, you give yourself right to tell people who are literally on the other end of the planet what to do and how to live their lives?
    You are a f**king disgrace, go f**k yourself.

    And that individual on your avatar was not biggest fan of monarchy  Razz

    Here, l updated your signature to a current day version:

    “What would you be without Oligarchs, O Russians?" - St. Papa of Dragon


    You're very childish and immature. For some reason you forget that we all support Novorossiya one way or the other.

    Were you also banned on MPnet for insulting other users?

    Neutrality
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 827
    Points : 845
    Join date : 2015-05-02

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Neutrality on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:16 pm

    Ghoster wrote:

    No. You don't understand that it's not in Russia's interest to allow NAF to fight back. Doing that would increase risk of more EU sanctions and would once again create problems for its economy.

    Really, just read something like this:
    http://www.ft.com/fastft/278101/russian-markets-rocket-higher-on-minsk-ii

    Then you have the announcement of Novorossiya project "being frozen", Commander Mozgovoy being assassinated just days later, and then Kremlin spokesperson announcing how much influence they had on Novorossiya choosing to become an autonomous region instead, while cities like Gorlovka and Donetsk are getting bombarded everyday by Ukrainian army with no repercussions.

    I have started to think along the lines of what points of Minsk 2 weren't made public. Did Ukraine agree to not dispute Crimean territory in return for Russia not intervening and allowing Ukraine to occupy the rest of Donbass by any means possible?

    Did I say or imply anything about NAF fighting back? I raised the question about the NAF abandoning Shirokino. I dislike strawmans so don't push that line.

    Monarchist wrote:Everything he wrote is true. Some of us understand but the majority of you doesn't want to understand. You dont understand the true nature of those that hold the economic and political power in Russia. The so called russian elite is fanatically pro-western.

    Jesus dude, just stop it already. Everything that's being done in Russia in order to stabilize the economy refutes what you're saying. Maybe you should try convincing a 13 year old instead with your delusions, see if that works.

    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1757
    Points : 1797
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  franco on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:19 pm

    Khepesh wrote:Ukrops preparing pontoon bridge to cross the Donets and assault LNR, at a location not disclosed, according to statement by LNR deputy cheif of staff Polkovnik Igor Yashchenko. It is not the first time such a report has been issued, but this is the first time it has been mentioned for a long time. There is at least one location were it may be possible to snorkel, but I would not trust OPVT that has not been used for more than twenty years and been rotting. Well, let ukrops try, and then drown..... http://www.novorosinform.org/news/id/31806

    I was curious how the NAF was going to cross Very Happy

    Did you see this from 4 hours ago?

    Denis Pushilin ‏@DenisPushilin 4h4 hours ago

    NAF FORCES HAVE RETURNED TO THERE POSITIONS IN SHIROKINO

    higurashihougi
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2130
    Points : 2245
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Location : A small and cutie S-shaped land.

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  higurashihougi on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:27 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Monarchist wrote:“What would you be without a Tsar, O Russians?" - St. John of Kronstadt
    You do realise that the Tzar that you get off so hard on was just the biggest oligarch of it's time?

    And all this time I thought that you hated oligarchs... lol1  It turned out you are their biggest fan!

    Depends on Tsars. Monarchs like Pyotr the Great and Ekaterina II are good. Especially Pyotr, he is a supporter of industrialism and science. But others are just pieces of shit.

    Actually Tsarist regime began to degenerate when young nobles began to "study" in Western "liberal" countries. Rather than learning true value of liberalism, these "liberal" Russian learned all kinds of degeneration of Western society and became the loyal c*cksuckers of the Western oligarchs.

    And in 1914 Russia betrayed Germany, attacked East Prussia.

    Ghoster
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 102
    Points : 106
    Join date : 2015-05-01
    Location : Lithuania

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Ghoster on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:31 pm

    Neutrality wrote:
    Ghoster wrote:

    No. You don't understand that it's not in Russia's interest to allow NAF to fight back. Doing that would increase risk of more EU sanctions and would once again create problems for its economy.

    Really, just read something like this:
    http://www.ft.com/fastft/278101/russian-markets-rocket-higher-on-minsk-ii

    Then you have the announcement of Novorossiya project "being frozen", Commander Mozgovoy being assassinated just days later, and then Kremlin spokesperson announcing how much influence they had on Novorossiya choosing to become an autonomous region instead, while cities like Gorlovka and Donetsk are getting bombarded everyday by Ukrainian army with no repercussions.

    I have started to think along the lines of what points of Minsk 2 weren't made public. Did Ukraine agree to not dispute Crimean territory in return for Russia not intervening and allowing Ukraine to occupy the rest of Donbass by any means possible?

    Did I say or imply anything about NAF fighting back? I raised the question about the NAF abandoning Shirokino. I dislike strawmans so don't push that line.
    Well, the point of demilitarizing Shyrokyne was Minsk agreements, which I could add aren't followed by Ukraine. It makes no sense for only one side to withdraw their troops from what was a really hot spot as a "gesture of goodwill", while their cities are getting bombarded.

    It just points to how stupid the Minsk agreements look right now.

    Walther von Oldenburg
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 895
    Points : 952
    Join date : 2015-01-23
    Age : 25
    Location : Oldenburg

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:57 pm

    I wish Russia enjoyed the same position USSR did in at it's peak (1960s-70s).

    Lots of possibilities that aren't available now and no need to fear sanctions or whatever.

    collegeboy16
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1207
    Points : 1234
    Join date : 2012-10-05
    Age : 20
    Location : Roanapur

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  collegeboy16 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:05 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Monarchist wrote:“What would you be without a Tsar, O Russians?" - St. John of Kronstadt
    You do realise that the Tzar that you get off so hard on was just the biggest oligarch of it's time?

    And all this time I thought that you hated oligarchs... lol1  It turned out you are their biggest fan!
    hehe Nicky 2 a cuck... Ra Ra Rasputin lover of the Russian queen...

    Walther von Oldenburg
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 895
    Points : 952
    Join date : 2015-01-23
    Age : 25
    Location : Oldenburg

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:16 pm

    Russia under Tzars functioned well for most of history. It was only the stubborn reactionism of Nicholas II that ruined the country - by early 20th century absolute monarchy has long since outlved it's utility and had to be reformed. Without WW1 we would probably witness a smooth transition to constitutional monarchy as it happened in England in 17th century and later in Prussia (Germany) and Austria.

    Nikander
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 46
    Points : 48
    Join date : 2015-01-01

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Nikander on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:24 pm

    Monarchist wrote:Anyone really interested in the current situation in Novorussia and without pro-Kremlin propaganda should read this guy:

    http://vk.com/juchkovsky

    Anyone really interested in the current situation should ignore you and especially Zhuchkovsky. Zhuchkovsky is a lying traitor and you are just a ignorant fool, shame on you. That pro-Western moron Putin will continue fighting for Russia and making it great, and you will be a moron ten years from now still because you don't understand anything. Thank God that Putin is president of Russia and not Strelkov, Mozgovoy or any other impulsive person like them. They are maybe good men but in the position of power they would be the ruin of Russia.

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3681
    Points : 3793
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:27 pm

    Monarchist wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    Monarchist wrote:

    “What would you be without a Tsar, O Russians?" - St. John of Kronstadt



    Tsar=Emperor

    Emperor=Member of  feudal nobility

    Feudal nobility=medieval oligarchs

    You do realise that the Tzar that you get off so hard on was just the biggest oligarch of it's time?

    And all this time I thought that you hated oligarchs... lol1  It turned out you are their biggest fan!

    Seriously, you give yourself right to tell people who are literally on the other end of the planet what to do and how to live their lives?
    You are a f**king disgrace, go f**k yourself.

    And that individual on your avatar was not biggest fan of monarchy  Razz

    Here, l updated your signature to a current day version:

    “What would you be without Oligarchs, O Russians?" - St. Papa of Dragon

    Your frustrated reaction and words tells me I'm right.

    No frustration here, don't fret.

    Problem is that everyone here knows that you are also from Serbia and that makes rest of us Serbs look bad because they might read the crap that you type and they might think: ''Those Serbs, they all might be clowns like him'' No

    So before you post anything else please pack your stuff, grab a passport and a plane ticket, move far away from here and then rant to you heart's content thumbsup

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3681
    Points : 3793
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:31 pm

    Ghoster wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

    Tsar=Emperor

    Emperor=Member of  feudal nobility

    Feudal nobility=medieval oligarchs

    You do realise that the Tzar that you get off so hard on was just the biggest oligarch of it's time?

    And all this time I thought that you hated oligarchs... lol1  It turned out you are their biggest fan!

    Seriously, you give yourself right to tell people who are literally on the other end of the planet what to do and how to live their lives?
    You are a f**king disgrace, go f**k yourself.

    And that individual on your avatar was not biggest fan of monarchy  Razz

    Here, l updated your signature to a current day version:

    “What would you be without Oligarchs, O Russians?" - St. Papa of Dragon


    You're very childish and immature. For some reason you forget that we all support Novorossiya one way or the other.

    Were you also banned on MPnet for insulting other users?

    Banned from MP.net and proud of it, although not for insulting anyone, unfortunately. Had I known more about that place I would have made effort to insult certain members.

    BTW, no need for you to start calling me out. This is inter-Serb issue, it does not concern you... love

    Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1955
    Points : 1962
    Join date : 2013-03-10
    Location : Western Hemisphere.. mostly

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Regular on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:59 pm

    higurashihougi wrote:WHAT ????? Shocked Shocked Shocked

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2015/07/01/ukraine-can-defeat-the-separatists/
    What a piece if shit article. Utter garbage.

    By the way, I don't support Novorossiya project, but I strongly believe ATO has to be stopped and it doesn't matter what it will be, large scale Russian army invassion or economical and polotical collapse of Ukraine, but hostilities have to stop. I do hope it's gonna be economical collapse and lack of popular support for war that will end it.

    Khepesh
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1641
    Points : 1710
    Join date : 2015-04-22
    Location : Ахетатон и Уасет

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Khepesh on Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:23 pm

    franco wrote:
    Khepesh wrote:Ukrops preparing pontoon bridge to cross the Donets and assault LNR, at a location not disclosed, according to statement by LNR deputy cheif of staff Polkovnik Igor Yashchenko. It is not the first time such a report has been issued, but this is the first time it has been mentioned for a long time. There is at least one location were it may be possible to snorkel, but I would not trust OPVT that has not been used for more than twenty years and been rotting. Well, let ukrops try, and then drown..... http://www.novorosinform.org/news/id/31806

    I was curious how the NAF was going to cross Very Happy

    Did you see this from 4 hours ago?

    Denis Pushilin ‏@DenisPushilin 4h4 hours ago

    NAF FORCES HAVE RETURNED TO THERE POSITIONS IN SHIROKINO
    Last August ukrops were screaming that VSN had a PMP, so after a year they can now hardly complain if, in the future, VSN use one as it is very old news......

    I dare not say anything about Shirokino as whatever is said will be wrong. Rozhin made a detailed post but at the end he admits that the versions for what happened are contradictory and that which ever version is the truth, then whatever happened was a sort of failure. He won't make any more comment until guys actually on the ground say what happened and what is happening, as all other info, no matter who from, cannot be trusted at the moment.

    Monarchist
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Posts : 196
    Points : 194
    Join date : 2015-04-23
    Location : russiadefence.net

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Monarchist on Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:38 pm

    Nikander wrote:
    Monarchist wrote:Anyone really interested in the current situation in Novorussia and without pro-Kremlin propaganda should read this guy:

    http://vk.com/juchkovsky

    Anyone really interested in the current situation should ignore you and especially Zhuchkovsky. Zhuchkovsky is a lying traitor and you are just a ignorant fool, shame on you. That pro-Western moron Putin will continue fighting for Russia and making it great, and you will be a moron ten years from now still because you don't understand anything. Thank God that Putin is president of Russia and not Strelkov, Mozgovoy or any other impulsive person like them. They are maybe good men but in the position of power they would be the ruin of Russia.
    Starikov, Kurginyan, Kremlin bots are very actice.They are in full panic mode. Laughing

    Rodinazombie
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 582
    Points : 616
    Join date : 2015-04-22

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Rodinazombie on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:35 pm

    JohninMK wrote:The true nature of the West, do it and blame the other side, Lavrov agrees

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) – Ukrainian authorities are “torpedoing” the Minsk agreements on reconciliation, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Friday. “There is a paradox in the fact that the more actively Kiev torpedoes the Minsk agreements, and they are torpedoing them actively, the more the Russian Federation is to blame,” Lavrov said during a joint press conference with Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn in Moscow.


    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/europe/20150703/1024159965.html#ixzz3epGysWlV

    I think those words from lavrov are quite important.

    Many of us, myself included are questioning the russian strategy right now, but lavrov is telling them that 'we are watching, we see whats happening, and we know the score'.

    Russia is sitting patiently and totting it up, its not putting its head in the sand or abandoning novorossia like some fear.

    I do think that if and when we return to another round of full war, that the ukies will receive their biggest blow yet. Im hoping that this shirokino business is a case of allowing azov to overstretch themselves and end up in a nice hot cauldron, though im not putting any money on it.

    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5630
    Points : 6283
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Viktor on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:43 pm

    Nazi government of Ukraine showing its best thumbsup

    Ukraine's state debt by the end of the year will amount to 95 percent of GDP

    JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3383
    Points : 3426
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  JohninMK on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:45 pm

    No DNR in Shyrokyne according to OSCE. Which munition digs a hole 12m wide and 4m deep? There was another the same size at the chemical works near Donetsk last month.

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) — The Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe’s Special Monitoring Mission (OSCE SMM) has documented shelling of the buffer-zone areas in the eastern Ukraine, coming from the west, the SMM said in a report issued on Friday. "In the south-eastern part of the village [of Shyrokyne], the SMM saw a crater of 12m (over 39 feet) diameter and 4m (over 13 meters) deep, many 82mm mortar shells, the remnants of ammunition crates and numerous impacts of 152mm artillery strikes, which based on their location, the SMM assessed to have been fired from the west," the report said.

    It stressed that "SMM did not observe any DPR [Donetsk People's Republic] presence in Shyrokyne." Besides, according to the report, the OSCE SMM visited the village of Sakhanka, that had been shelled on June 30 and July 1. "The SMM observed five fresh craters and damage on 15 houses and assessed that the fire originated from the south-west," the report said.

    The February Minsk ceasefire deal stipulated the creation of a buffer zone and the pullback of heavy artillery from the line of contact. On June 12, the head of Kiev’s special operations in eastern Ukraine, Andriy Lysenko, said Ukraine strictly adheres to the Minsk agreements regarding the withdrawal of heavy weapons and over 100-mm caliber artillery systems from the line of contact.


    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/europe/20150703/1024182800.html#ixzz3er5laszq

    Rodinazombie
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 582
    Points : 616
    Join date : 2015-04-22

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Rodinazombie on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:49 pm

    flamming_python wrote:**yawn**

    Russia is helping the Ukraine dig its own grave. Nothing more.

    And the Ukrainian government will not survive another winter; there is economic collapse, increasing defection, larger and larger protests, and more volunteers are joining the NAF every day.

    Gimme a break with the doom and gloom stuff.
    If Shirokino was abandoned then there was a tactical or strategic reason for it.

    Do you think there is a chance this war can morph from a war of secession to a full blown civil war for control of kiev?

    Im not talking about a victorious offensive where NAF destroys the ukies and goes for kiev, thats cuckoo land. Im talking about a breakdown of central government in kiev that leads to a fight for power with novorossia coming to their aid to boot out the regime and start over again.

    It sounds like fantasy land and probably is, but you never know for sure where things will lead when the ball starts rolling.




    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3681
    Points : 3793
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:00 pm

    Rodinazombie wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:**yawn**

    Russia is helping the Ukraine dig its own grave. Nothing more.

    And the Ukrainian government will not survive another winter; there is economic collapse, increasing defection, larger and larger protests, and more volunteers are joining the NAF every day.

    Gimme a break with the doom and gloom stuff.
    If Shirokino was abandoned then there was a tactical or strategic reason for it.

    Do you think there is a chance this war can morph from a war of secession to a full blown civil war for control of kiev?

    Im not talking about a victorious offensive where NAF destroys the ukies and goes for kiev, thats cuckoo land. Im talking about a breakdown of central government in kiev that leads to a fight for power with novorossia coming to their aid to boot out the regime and start over again.

    It sounds like fantasy land and probably is, but you never know for sure where things will lead when the ball starts rolling.

    It's quite possible and I could see it happening but it will take couple of more years for Ukraine to be properly "tenderized"... Twisted Evil

    NAF just needs to keep applying pressure and the whole problem will solve itself.

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  sepheronx on Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:14 pm

    Ghoster wrote:
    Neutrality wrote:Yeah I get it already. Everything is lost, better pack in and go. All because of 1 single decision that you and I don't fully understand.

    No. You don't understand that it's not in Russia's interest to allow NAF to fight back. Doing that would increase risk of more EU sanctions and would once again create problems for its economy.

    Really, just read something like this:
    http://www.ft.com/fastft/278101/russian-markets-rocket-higher-on-minsk-ii

    Then you have the announcement of Novorossiya project "being frozen", Commander Mozgovoy being assassinated just days later, and then Kremlin spokesperson announcing how much influence they had on Novorossiya choosing to become an autonomous region instead, while cities like Gorlovka and Donetsk are getting bombarded everyday by Ukrainian army with no repercussions.

    I have started to think along the lines of what points of Minsk 2 weren't made public. Did Ukraine agree to not dispute Crimean territory in return for Russia not intervening and allowing Ukraine to occupy the rest of Donbass by any means possible?

    You're wrong, and for two reasons: 1) you are using ft as a source. It has been a bs news source for a long time, like eCOnomist.

    Second, is what Russia gets from EU and vice versa. Issue is, Russia only exports oil/gas/metals while obtaining cheap credit that they themselves technically can provide. Issue is CBR. EU wont outright ban, ever over Ukraine, the cheap gas and oil, while they will ban cheap credit. This will force Russia to change its banking structure to meet the new demands and force CBRs hand to provide cheap credit to Russia. If Russia decided to ban european agriculture entirely as well as industrial goods, essentially EU would be in trouble while Russias trouble would be temporarly to find replacement sellers.

    Cowboy's daughter
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1141
    Points : 1180
    Join date : 2015-04-24
    Location : Texas

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Cowboy's daughter on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:44 pm

    whir wrote:
    Политика 2015 wrote:ATO on drugs - I was covered!

    What is this stuff? Something like speed (meth), & the video is him coming down? Ugh

    Cowboy's daughter
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1141
    Points : 1180
    Join date : 2015-04-24
    Location : Texas

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Cowboy's daughter on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:55 pm

    [quote="Vann7"]
    New Protest at the american embassy in kiev..
    yankee go Home..




    Very interesting!

    Rodinazombie
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 582
    Points : 616
    Join date : 2015-04-22

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Rodinazombie on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:30 pm

    Cowboy's daughter wrote:
    Vann7 wrote:
    New Protest at the american embassy in kiev..
    yankee go Home..




    Very interesting!

    I can guarantee we wont be seeing THAT anytime soon on the BBC!

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3681
    Points : 3793
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:30 pm

    Stating the obvious, posting it anyway.... Cool


    Empty treasury explains why Ukraine refuses to buy Russian gas

    http://tass.ru/en/opinions/805540

    Author
    Tamara Zamyatina

    MOSCOW, July 2. /TASS/. Kiev has no money to pay for Russian gas, but to save face the Ukrainian authorities have had to put on airs in their price dispute with Gazprom, thereby trying to attain political aims, polled experts have told TASS.

    Gazprom terminated gas supplies to Ukraine at 10:00 Moscow time on July 1 because it had received no prepayment, the gas giant’s CEO Aleksei Miller said on Wednesday.

    "Gazprom will not supply gas to Ukraine whatever the price as long as there is no prepayment," Miller said. Ukraine’s Naftogaz said that it was terminating gas purchases from Gazprom starting from July 1 until the conditions that failed to be agreed at trilateral negotiations in Vienna on June 30 have been settled.

    In the first and second quarters of this year Ukraine was entitled to a $100 discount off the price of gas for 1,000 cubic meters. In fact, Ukraine was importing gas at $247.2 per 1,000 cubic meters. The price of oil in the second half of last year slumped heavily, pulling down the price of gas, too. Russia said that it was unable to prolong the $100 discount for Ukraine, adding that it could afford a $40 cut at the most, while the actual price of gas should stay at the level of the second quarter: $247.12. Ukraine refused to pay. In its opinion the fair price is $200 for 1,000 cubic meters.

    The president of the Globalization Problems Institute, Mikhail Delyagin, believes that Kiev’s demand for setting the price at $200 for 1,000 cubic meters is devoid of any sensible reasons but one: the treasury is empty.

    "Kiev is bargaining with Gazprom over the price of gas because the demand from Ukraine’s largely eliminated industry is meager, while 40% of the demand in the housing and utilities’ sector can be met with domestically produced low calorie gas, which is no good for industrial use," Delyagin, a member of the discussion club Valdai, told TASS.

    He stressed the fact that the $100 discount off the price of one thousand cubic meters had been proposed by Russia to Ukraine’s former president, Viktor Yanukovych, and not the current authorities. "Moscow then proceeded from the understanding that Russia and Ukraine would have a common economy and for that reason it agreed to sell gas to Kiev at prices pretty close to the internal ones. But Ukraine’s current authorities have in fact disrupted economic cooperation with Russia. But then a childish question arises: why should Russia keep intact the integration discount for Ukraine at a time when there is no hope for integration?" Delyagin says.

    "Kiev’s mode of behavior has remained unchanged over years: as production has slumped, particularly so in the metal and chemical industries, Ukraine’s demand for gas is moderate. Usually Kiev tends to get more pliable towards wintertime, precisely the way it happened in the previous years," another member of the Valdai club, Vladimir Averchev, has told TASS.

    "Gazprom’s price of gas for Ukraine set at 247.2 dollars for 1,000 cubic meters is approximately equivalent to what Ukraine would have to pay for reverse gas supplies from Slovakia, Hungary or Poland," says Averchev, the director of research at BP Russia. "Possibly Kiev finds this pattern preferable, as it does not have to make any prepayments. In the meantime Ukraine has no money even to pay the current interest on debts."

    "Guaranteed supplies of Russian gas in wintertime are a real problem for Ukraine and the European Union. Kiev would like the end customer as represented by Brussels to pay for the winter supplies to Europe. But Brussels has no money to spare at the moment, the financial crisis in Greece being its main headache. In case winter consumption peaks Brussels would like to have 15-18 billion cubic meters of gas stored in Ukraine’s gas holders. Russian Energy Minister Aleksandr Novak says 12.5 billion cubic meters of gas is already there, but there is no money to pay for the still missing 6 billion cubic meters," Averchev said.

    "Kiev is using its current tug-of-war with Gazprom for purely internal political purposes, just to show the ordinary people President Poroshenko is a vehement crusader for Ukraine’s national interests. This ostensibly irreconcilable stance also pursues the aim of squeezing out of the European bureaucrats the one-billion-dollar loan Kiev needs to make prepayments for Russian gas. Behind this fuss there is nothing but Kiev’s wish to put a good face on a bad game," Averchev said.

    And the chief of the World Economy unit at the Skolkovo Centre, Tatyana Mitrova, remarks it is any client’s unalienable right to refuse to buy a commodity at the offered price. Naturally, in this type of situation the seller is unable go ahead with the supplies. "But then it is utterly wrong to reproach Russia for turning off Ukraine’s gas valve. As last year’s experience indicates, Ukraine can do pretty well without Russian supplies during several summer months. But one can be certain that the gas talks will be resumed in the end," Mitrova said.

    TASS may not share the opinions of its contributors

    Sponsored content

    Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #16

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:05 pm


      Current date/time is Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:05 pm