Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russia - India Strategic Relationship: News

George1

Re: Russia - India Strategic Relationship: News

Post  George1 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:22 am

First Unit of Russia-India Kudankulam NPP Reconnected to Grid

The first unit of the Russia-designed Kudankulam nuclear power plant (NPP) was connected to the grid, a source in the Indian nuclear industry said on Monday.

NEW DELHI (Sputnik) — In early February, the unit has been stopped for inspection over the signal of a possible malfunction.

"Today, at 8.15 a.m. [02:45 GMT], the first unit of the Kudankulam NPP has been connected to the grid. Now the station generates 300 MW of energy, a gradual rise in power continues," the source told RIA Novosti.

The construction of the Kudankulam nuclear power plant was initially agreed by the Soviet Union and India in 1988, but the project was in limbo until the Nuclear Power Corporation of India and Rosatom relaunched the much-delayed joint project in 2012.

Kudankulam's first unit reached full capacity in July 2014, and is currently India’s most powerful reactor with a maximum operating capacity of 1,000 megawatt.

The second unit is nearing completion and is expected to be launched this year. The construction of the third and the fourth units is planned for 2016.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/asia/20160222/1035150942/kudankulam-russia-india-nuclear-energy.html#ixzz40sobJ2s0

Austin

Post  Austin on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:52 am

Indian ambassador: we are determined to develop the closest relations with Russia

http://ria.ru/interview/20160224/1379594871.html

The new Indian ambassador in Moscow Pankaj Saran said in an interview with RIA Novosti on the prospects of cooperation between Russia and India in the energy and intent to New Delhi to sign an association agreement with the Eurasian Union

India is set to develop a very close relationship with Russia, in the current conditions of the country simply can not afford to ignore each other, according to the new Ambassador of India in Moscow Pankaj Saran. In his first interview to Russian media, he told the special correspondent of RIA Novosti Pauline Chernitsov whether New Delhi to expand exports of agricultural products to Russia, what are the prospects of cooperation between the two countries in the energy sector, but also said that New Delhi is set to sign an association agreement with the Eurasian Union.

- Mr. Saran, this is your first interview after his appointment as ambassador to Russia. How do you assess the prospects of tenure? And in general, you see the prospects of development of bilateral relations, especially in view of the results of the last summit, held in December?

- Relations between Russia and India - are special, unique and multi-vector - the test of time. They cover almost all areas, and New Delhi is set to develop relations with its strategic partner. We have already managed to do many things: the last Russian-Indian summit, when in December 2015 met our leaders Narendra Modi and Vladimir Putin, has been extremely successful and culminated in a number of agreements signed.

Just a couple of days will be a month of my stay in Russia, in Moscow. I began my career in Moscow in 1984. Then it was the Soviet Union, of course, it was a completely different country, a different time. And, in general, throughout the world, the situation was completely different. And now, having returned here after 32 years old, I want to say that for me it is an honor and a privilege. And I can see that much has changed in Russia, it is for the economy, culture and influence in the world - around the same time, Russia has increased significantly. Russia is our strategic privileged partner, and I am very happy that now I am an ambassador in such an important country for us. While serving as the Ambassador of India, I will strive to develop these relationships and ensure implementation of decisions.

As you know, we in India are now the new government, this government sold themselves to maintain the close, the best relations with Russia. For me personally is a huge inspiration to be here as an ambassador and to do everything possible to promote these relations further. We know that there is great potential and opportunities for further rapprochement between India and Russia, and I think that there should be a greater role in the younger generation.

In cooperation between our countries, we will first try to bring people together. Russia has a very rich history, culture and civilization. The same can be said about India. In Russia, it was very much written about India, it has inspired Russian intellectuals. And that is why we must continue to work done. And in any case, neither India nor Russia should not neglect each other, they can not afford it.

But the most important thing in this relationship - to create and increase contacts between people.

- Do you see the prospects for the growth of trade with the Russian Federation in the coming year? Due to some sectors can be achieved a breakthrough?

- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Vladimir Putin set a goal to increase bilateral trade to $ 30 billion by 2025. Both sides intend to expand bilateral economic and trade cooperation, and we are working to achieve this goal. We will do everything possible for that. We have identified seven priority areas, such as pharmaceuticals, jewelry, technical equipment and machinery, oil and gas, textiles and garments, agricultural sphere - all of them are potential sectors for cooperation to help achieve the stated goals.

- Are there any current negotiations to increase the export of Indian meat and dairy products in Russia?

- India has already started to export bufflo meat in Russia, where the product has been well received. With regard to the expansion of supply, we are the largest exporter and, of course, everything depends on the demand in Russia. I am sure that if there is demand, our exporters will be happy to increase their supply. If need be, we are ready to export more.

Also, we are now in the process of negotiations to obtain the necessary permits to begin exports of dairy products

- At what stage are the negotiations to expand the settlements in national currencies between Russia and India? As in India evaluated the proposal of the Russian Federation on mutual national currencies within the BRICS group? Will this measure is to reduce the risk associated with dollar payments?

- The organization of settlements using national currencies of the BRICS looks promising. And now the Russian and Indian companies have shown some interest in the implementation of trade transactions using national currencies. There is already a mechanism that both parties are free to use. In addition to this we have set up a joint working group to develop a road map to ensure interstate settlements in the Russian-Indian trade.

The two parties shall consult with representatives of business and industry in order to reach a broad consensus on this issue.

- Presidency of the BRICS in 2016 goes from Russia to India, which plans to develop the priorities of New Delhi as part of its presidency and how they will contribute to the development of bilateral relations?

- India is looking forward to working as chairman of the BRICS. We highly appreciate the results of the Russian presidency in BRICS. And now conducting consultations with the Russian side in order to keep the continuity and not to lose the pace of work, and to find new areas of cooperation.

We have already announced the theme of the Indian presidency - find responsible general and collective decisions. We see an important association BRICS countries, whose influence is important for the whole world. In this respect, in a large number of multilateral initiatives were carried out during the Russian presidency.

This year is the second time we will host the BRICS summit, the last time it was in 2012. But since then, the BRICS organization became stronger and, of course, increased the level of interaction.

BRICS member countries are among the largest economies in the world: if we combine the economy of Brazil, Russia, China, India and South Africa, we will get a large percentage of the global economy. From this point of view we are going to approach the challenges of our presidency of the BRICS: how the organization can contribute to the overall global economy.

We also understand that within the organization there are other areas of cooperation. This includes the challenges facing the organization, such as terrorism, security.

- Will there be somehow reflected in the agenda of the Summit and the Presidency theme of joint efforts in countering terrorism?

- You know, I would like today to share two points, two aspects. The first aspect - the presidency of India in BRICS is an extended process. Another aspect - the summit itself, where will meet the heads of our states. We are ready to take into account in the preparation and various foundations of our cooperation: economics, finance, terrorism.

Of course, the issues of terrorism and the fight against terrorism will be given some attention, we will concentrate on this.

With regard to the summit, then, of course, when our leaders meet, they discuss all the most important moments of what is happening in the world. And this will apply not only to the BRICS, but in general the whole situation in the world. Of course, it is very difficult to assume what will be the world situation at that time. But the fact that this issue will be discussed, no doubt.

I am sure that one of the major emphases, which will focus on during the summit of BRICS, will counter international terrorism. Terrorism - is a serious problem, and the BRICS countries have the ability and capacity to counter terrorism, there is a possibility to maintain peace and stability in the world. So I think that when our leaders meet, you will be sure to take this opportunity to discuss this issue.

- Does the question now being worked Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov to India in preparation for the summit of the BRICS?

- Of course, we plan to organize a series of ministerial visits and meetings. And in preparation for him, we will consult with Russia. I'm sure when we will schedule a meeting of foreign ministers of the BRICS, be sure to send an invitation to the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Russia Mr. Sergey Lavrov.

The exact dates yet, because we are still working on the schedule of events of his presidency. But I can say that we will stick to the traditions of the BRICS and we will take advice BRICS partners at different levels. This may be the level of deputy ministers, ministerial level.

As for the dates, as I said, they we have not yet determined. Now we are no longer working on the logistical details of meetings at different levels. And, of course, on the logistics of the summit.

- How are the negotiations on the free trade zone of India and the Eurasian Economic Union? Can we expect that this year will be an agreement on comprehensive economic cooperation in the format of India - the Eurasian Economic Union?

- To study the prospects of establishing a free trade area a joint working group was established between India and the Eurasian Union. Research is being conducted, and we look forward to their early conclusion. After we examine the report will begin substantive consultations on the FTA - a comprehensive agreement on economic cooperation. India would like to achieve association with the Eurasian Union.

Now it is very difficult to identify any time frame, because at the moment held technical talks. But it is very important to understand that at the political level, the parties agreed to facilitate association of India with the Eurasian Union. This was agreed during the summit of the heads of the leaders of our states.

We are negotiating with Russia, as well as with other countries (member of the Eurasian Union - ed.). India is ready to sign an agreement on free trade zone. But, of course, when this kind of agreements are signed, it is necessary to take into account the fact that it is mutually beneficial for both parties, and take into account the wishes and requirements of both parties.

- Earlier, the Russian Foreign Ministry said that in the tripartite meeting of Foreign Ministers of the Russia-India-China may be held in April, if you have more specific information about the date?

- The sides still agree on a mutually acceptable date, but we are ready to organize this meeting as soon as possible. Now we are in contact on this issue with Russia, because it will all be held in Moscow. I think we shall sound the date only after consultations end. But once again I want to say that yes, we are ready for this meeting.

With regard to the agenda of the meeting, it will be determined after mutual consultation. We try to do everything so that this meeting took place is so significant and productive as possible. When Russia, India and China work together, this contributes to world stability and economic development at both the regional and global level.

- At what stage is the study of the Russian leader's visit to New Delhi?

- The leaders of Russia and India, there every year, and sometimes more often - on the basis of the intensity and high level of our bilateral relations. Cycle of preparatory meetings which are usually held a few months before this summit, has already begun.

- Previously reported intention of India to enter into a new contract for the supply of Mi-17V-5 and purchase another 48 such helicopters. Go there already negotiations? When can we expect the signing of the contract?

- Moscow has already made deliveries of Mi-17V-5 helicopters under the previous contract (151 machine). Who started the procedure of approval of the new party supply of these helicopters, and upon completion we expect to sign a contract.

At present it is difficult to say when the next batch will be delivered: we expect this, and experts are working on the issue. But it is difficult to identify any specific time frame.

- That is a purely technical consultations and the parties do not have any significant differences?

- Yes, in general, I do not see any major problems (with a new contract - Ed.).

- Do begun negotiations for the purchase of India's air defense systems S-400 "Triumph"? When do you expect to sign a contract?

- Our military-technical cooperation with Russia has a long history and covers various sectors. Now Moscow and New Delhi are discussing several options of weapons systems, and the sides are working on the completion of the talks fruitful.

- Are Indian Airlines is considering buying Sukhoi Superjet (SSJ100) aircraft? If so, about how many can there be?

- Indian companies held a series of talks on the issue with the Russian side. India is one of the fastest growing markets of civil aviation in the world, so we have a serious need in this area, and Russia has the necessary experience. In any case, the negotiations will be conducted on a commercial basis, and I hope for their specific outcomes.

Sukhoi is in talks with two private Indian companies, and this is purely a commercial matter between the supplier, which is Sukhoi, and two private companies. So we just have to wait, when a decision is made.

Based on this, I can say that the Indian government is not involved in these negotiations. In any case, I would be happy if the two sides can reach an agreement. But since this offer, there is the private companies take into account the factors that are important to them, and on the basis of the concluded agreements. Now negotiations are still underway. I just want to say is that this is a good Sukhoi Superjet plane, it has proven itself in the international market.

- When the expected closing of the transaction for the purchase of a stake in India's ONGC "Vankorneft" in New Delhi? Could this happen in the course of the meeting of the Russian-Indian intergovernmental commission, as previously reported by some media outlets?

- Oil and gas sector is one of the priorities in the framework of cooperation between Russia and India. Now we are discussing the many opportunities for interaction on extraction and processing, transportation and sale of hydrocarbons, as well as supply of equipment and technologies for their exploration.

In the course of the last Russian-Indian summit in December 2015, the parties agreed on the acquisition of the Indian company ONGS Videsh Limited 15 per cent stake in the company "Vankorneft".

With regard to the inter-governmental commission, as you know, we have two of them - military and economic, the issue is related to the economic. Negotiations are underway with the company "Rosneft" and Indian enterprises. These negotiations are going well and I am confident that the prospects for concluding a good agreement.

However, there is also a complex internal issues that need to be addressed. All I can say is that we are optimistic about the conclusion of this agreement, and hope that it will happen this year. But when and how - it will be decided two sides.

- If we talk separately about the timing of the intergovernmental commissions, when will the military and when - economic?

- The current annual summit will be held in India, and as usual, according to tradition, it goes at the end of the year. With regard to the date, we have not decided yet, because we have literally just finished the previous summit - a very successful and one of the most fruitful. But before spending the next summit, we need to hold preparatory meetings. Usually these meetings are held in the months before the summit, and it gives an opportunity for ministers to properly prepare and provide the necessary information to heads of our states.

As I said before, the date of the summit, we have not yet determined, but we know that, to the summit was a success, it is necessary to prepare well.

Now we have to schedule such meetings to begin the process as early as possible. We will try to build a schedule so that both sides had enough time to prepare well.

- Earlier, media reported that Indian Oil Corp and Oil India are in talks with "Rosneft" to buy nearly 30 percent stake in the field TAAs-Yuryakh in Eastern Siberia. Can the Indian side to confirm this? At what stage are the negotiations?

- We consider several options transactions. However, it should wait for the official announcement in advance not to give publicity details of the negotiations.

- When may the signing of a general agreement between Rosatom and the Indian side about the construction of new nuclear power plants in India blocks?

- Russia and India have approved the construction of a road map for the next 20 years, 12 nuclear reactors. We have already put into operation the first unit of NPP "Kudankulam", and is expected to the second unit will also soon be launched. The General Framework Agreement for the construction of the third and fourth block is already decorated. We are currently negotiating for the development of the General Framework Agreement for the fifth and sixth unit (NPP "Kudankulam") and we want to complete the process as soon as possible. During the last annual summit in December 2015, India's Ministry of Energy and Rosatom approved the road map for the localization of production in India is designed in Russian reactors. We believe this is another positive step in the development of our cooperation in the nuclear sphere and politics with a "to do in India."

- Mr. Ambassador, I have to ask you about an event that is widely expected to happen later this year. We are talking about the end of India's accession to the SCO. Do you expect that at the summit in Uzbekistan point will be delivered?

- The decision to launch the process of adoption in India was taken at the summit of the organization in Ufa in 2015 as a full member of the SCO. We hope for a speedy completion of this process and the entry of India into the SCO is already at the upcoming summit.
    George1

Post  George1 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:20 am

Moscow and New Delhi transitioning to trade in national currencies - Indian ambassador

https://www.rt.com/business/333486-russia-india-currencies-exchange/

George1

Post  George1 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:02 am

Rosneft Plans to Close Deal on Stake in India’s Essar Oil Refinery in 2016

Russia's oil giant Rosneft and India's Essar Oil refinery have reached a preliminary agreement on the deal which will allow for the two companies to create a long-standing partnership between Russia and India in the hydrocarbon sector.

NEW DELHI (Sputnik) – Rosneft plans to close the deal on purchasing a 49 percent stake in the Indian Essar Oil Ltd refinery in 2016, Rosneft CEO Igor Sechin said.

“We’ve negotiated (with Essar on purchasing a 49 percent stake in the refinery – Ed.), and reached a preliminary agreement on terms and procedures of closing the deal. We’ll have to receive the necessary permits, and the deal will be closed in 2016,” Sechin said. Speaking about the documents signed on Wednesday, he added that the market would be informed on the details of the deals some time later.

“Following the signing of these documents, Rosneft will be able to work with its Indian partners. Our cooperation model provides for the involvement of Indian companies in upstream projects in Russia, and Rosneft will get access to the Indian market, thus creating a safe energy bridge between our countries,” Sechin said.

Indian Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan said that Russia is a longstanding and time-tested partner of India. “We are happy that India and Russia have attained high levels of understanding and cooperation in almost all areas of the bilateral relationship. We are committed to working together to further strengthen the India-Russia partnership in the hydrocarbon sector”.

In July 2015, Rosneft and Essar Oil Ltd signed a number of agreements, according to which Russia will participate in the Essar refinery in the town of Vadinar with a stake of up to 49 percent and will supply 10 million tons of oil per year to this refinery for 10 consecutive years. The refinery’s capacity is expected to more than double – from the current 20 million tons per year to 45 million tons by 2020.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/business/20160317/1036437165/rosneft-plans-close-deal-stake-india-essar-oil-refinery.html#ixzz4393vPtSM

Pinto

India, Russia Strike Big Energy Deals

Post  Pinto on Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:02 am

India, Russia Strike Big Energy Deals

A consortium of three Indian state-run companies, Oil India, Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) and Bharat PetroResources, has signed energy deals with Rosneft to acquire the Russian company’s most promising assets in Siberia. CEO of Rosneft Igor Sechin has made an official announcement in this regard in New Delhi, saying that the deal will decrease India’s dependence on oil and gas imports.

Earlier, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had hinted that India would cut oil imports by 10% in the next six years by purchasing foreign energy assets. The prime minister made clear that India would take advantage of low global oil prices and the slowdown in China’s overseas acquisitions.

On the basis of the deals signed between the Indian consortium and Rosneft, the biggest listed oil producer in the world (by output) will allow Oil India, Indian Oil Corporation and Bharat PetroResources to increase their stake in the Vankor oil field to nearly 50% and acquire around 30% of the Taas-Yuriakh field.

The deals will also help Rosneft in a different way. Sechin explained that it would be easier for Rosneft to pay off debts incurred in its USD 55 billion acquisition of TNK-BP in 2013. During their meeting in December, President Vladimir Putin had assured Prime Minister Modi that Moscow would deepen its Soviet-era economic ties with India. Putin said that Moscow decided to supply oil to one of the world’s fastest-growing economies in an attempt to boost bilateral ties. Modi welcomed President Putin’s decision to grant stakes to Indian oil firms.

Addressing a press conference in the Indian capital on Wednesday, Sechin said that the deals would not only help India secure Russian oil output, but also help Rosneft gain access to the huge Indian market. During his stay in India, Sechin met senior Essar Oil officials to discuss a separate deal between Rosneft and the Indian firm. Under the deal, Essar Oil will acquire a 49% stake in the 400,000 barrel-per-day Vadinar refinery in western part of India in the next three months. “We are establishing a reliable energy bridge between our countries, which will be developing the interests of both Russia and India,” Sechin told the press.

Foreign policy experts are of the opinion that Russia wants to strengthen ties with India because of the current global political landscape. The Russian economy is facing deep crisis, as it has been badly hit by Western sanctions and a plunge in global oil prices.

http://inserbia.info/today/2016/03/india-russia-strike-big-energy-deals/
    Pinto

Sushma Swaraj arrives in Russia on two-day visit

Post  Pinto on Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:45 am

Sushma Swaraj will attend the annual foreign ministers’ meeting of Russia, India and China

Moscow: External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj arrived Moscow on Monday for the second leg of her two-nation visit, during which she will attend the annual foreign ministers’ meeting of Russia, India and China.

“Namaste Moscow! EAM @SushmaSwaraj arrives in Russia to attend RIC Foreign Ministers Conference tomorrow,” ministry of external affairs spokesperson Vikas Swarup tweeted.

Swaraj’s two-day visit will see her attend the annual foreign ministers’ meeting of RIC (Russia, India and China).

Besides attending the RIC meeting, she is also expected to have a bilateral meet with her Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov in Moscow.

On the sidelines of RIC, Swaraj is expected to meet her Chinese counterpart Wang Yi during which she is likely to raise the issue of China blocking India’s bid at the United Nations to ban Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) chief Masood Azhar.

In Iran, she had a wide rage of engagements with several top Iranian leaders, including president Hassan Rouhani.

Rouhani has assured Swaraj that Iran can be a ‘reliable partner’ for India’s energy needs. Enhancing energy cooperation was the centerpiece of her visit to the powerful Persian Gulf nation. PTI

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/Lax1VEjRdWNhF14xUjXHXK/Sushma-Swaraj-arrives-in-Russia-on-twoday-visit.html?utm_source=hindustantimes&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ht_livemint

Austin

Post  Austin on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:31 am

Indian Airborne Troops Script History

The Indian Air Force employed three Russian made IL-76 and fourteen AN-32s. Their latest in inventory, the American Globe Master, C-17 and the Hercules, C-130 were also put to test
    . This manoeuvre was carried out simulating a 100 km deep strike air assault intended in the heartland of Pakistan, an aim being to secure the projection area.

Speaking to the officers of the Military Operation’s branch on the side lines was really very reassuring, their confidence was speaking by itself. They informed that the capability to air drop a formation existed only with the countries like the US, Russia and China. India has now joined this elite club. This airborne exercise has validated the IL-76 better than the American machines in use. The Air Headquarter after this event is now considering to enhance the operational service of the Russian IL-76 which was otherwise drawing to an end in the next three years, they added.

Austin

Post  Austin on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:32 am

Where does India's strategic & defence relationship with Russia stand in a world of two superpowers?

By Konstantin Makienko

India's military-political relations and arms trade with the United States have been on a rapid rise in recent years. That begs the question of whether the special relationship between India and Russia in those two areas is now a thing of the past. It appears that the United States has become the No 1 arms supplier to India in terms of the value of new contracts, wresting that position from Russia. ........................................
    Pinto

Post  Pinto on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:53 am

United states has become No 1 temporarily because many India-Russian projects are stuck in limbo for different reasons. If all pending projects are taken up seriously then US will be eclipsed again

Specially the FGFA, MRTA(this project seems to be over now), S-400, Upgrades for SU30MKI, more MIG29K for new IAC Vikrant, Nuke sub deal, and many more the pending list is endless

In longer term US is not going to dominate but they will stay as major suppliers because of belligerent china in Indian ocean and SCS
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:58 am

An Indian order for Il-476s would be a good thing... Smile

If they do buy them then perhaps the MTA with the same dimensions and engines would make more sense perhaps?

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Pinto

Post  Pinto on Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:10 pm

GarryB wrote:An Indian order for Il-476s would be a good thing... Smile

If they do buy them then perhaps the MTA with the same dimensions and engines would make more sense perhaps?

well yes MTA is very crucial and urgently required so a way out with Russia must be found, IAF as usual is pitching for airbus "Buzz around Defence circle is that Airbus C-295 which will be procured to replace British supplied Avro Transport fleet and also to be produced in India in joint partnership with Airbus and TATA might be fallback plan of IAF which will also eventually replace An-32 fleet in Indian Air Force since C-295 has payload capacity of 9.25 tonnes which is little higher than An-32’s 7.5-tonne capacity but with much lower than payload capacity than Proposed MTA".

but there seems to be some sabotage or politics or money power at work to derail Indo-Russian defence ties as many deals are stuck on one pretext or the other and the unusual and strange thing is there are no serious efforts being made to iron out differences(
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:06 am

The MTA is supposed to be replacing the An-12 in the 20 ton payload class, the Russians are going for the Il-112V and Il-114 as replacements for An-24, An-26, and An-32... and probably An-72.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Pinto

Russia, India Agree to Hold Three Large Joint Military Drills in 2016

Post  Pinto on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:48 pm

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – Russia and India have agreed to hold the Indra-2016 joint military exercises and will decide on their dates in May, the head of the Russian Defense Ministry’s Eastern Military District’s press service said Thursday.

“A joint protocol was signed in Vladivostok on the first planned conference of the Indra-2016 joint exercises,” Capt. 1st Rank Roman Martov said.
    He said consultations would be held in May in India where the dates of the exercises would be specified.

“This year troops from the Eastern Military District plan to participate in three large exercises with the Indian Armed Forces, which include the Indra-Neva-2016 with the Pacific Fleet, AviaIndra-2016 with the participation of the Air Force and air defense systems, and Indra-2016,” Martov added.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20160428/1038749297/russia-india-drills.html#ixzz478ITnsMZ
    Pinto

India, Russia discussing cost of Kudankulam Units 5,6

Post  Pinto on Fri May 06, 2016 7:56 am

New Delhi: India is in discussions with Russia on the costing for construction of Units 5 and 6 of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) to be built by Russia`s atomic power corporation Rosatom, parliament was told on Thursday.

"Regarding the cost of Units 5 and 6, discussions are in progress on the techno-commercial offer submitted by the Russian side. The cost will emerge on conclusion of the discussions," Minister of State for Atomic Energy Jitendra Singh said in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha.

"Discussions on the draft general framework agreement for setting up KNPP Units 5 and 6 are currently in progress," he said.

The Indian government gave in-principle approval for setting up Units 5 and 6 at Kudankulam in October 2009. An inter-governmental agreement between India and Russia was signed in December 2008 for setting up Units 3 to 6.

The ground-breaking ceremony for construction of Units 3 and 4 was performed in mid-February.

The new director general of Rosatom (South Asia) based in Mumbai, Evgeni Griva, told IANS during a visit here recently that the contract for delivering equipment for Units 3 and 4 had been signed and initial permits obtained.

"On September 7, 2015, Atomenergomash Holding, the power plant division of Rosatom, signed the comprehensive delivery contract for reactor equipment for power Units 3 and 4," Griva said.

"The permit for excavation works and foundation pit preparation has now been obtained from the Indian regulatory body," he said.

"The first and most important contract has also been signed -- the delivery contract of long-lead equipment and priority delivery equipment from the Russian Federation. Besides, the top priority design is practically completed," he added.

Start of work on Units 3 and 4 was delayed due to concerns among foreign nuclear plant suppliers about India`s nuclear damage liability law. They were reluctant to sell to India, citing the provisions of the Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage Act (CLND) 2010, that provides the right of recourse by Indian operator NPCIL against the vendors for compensation in case of an accident.

The Indian government last year launched an insurance pool of Rs.1,500 crore ($220 million) to be managed by national reinsurer GIC Re.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/india/india-russia-discussing-cost-of-kudankulam-units-56_1882466.html
    Pinto

India, Russia working to resolve Afghan crisis

Post  Pinto on Sat May 07, 2016 11:59 am

At the recent meeting in New Delhi of senior officials from countries in the ‘Heart of Asia’ or Istanbul process, there was broad alignment in the views of Russia, India and Afghanistan on the way ahead in violence-ravaged Afghanistan. However, Russia and India differ on the uses of the Taliban in Afghanistan.

The situation in Afghanistan is deteriorating, with rising levels of violence marring prospects of peace returning to that country any time soon. The meeting of senior officials from countries in the ‘Heart of Asia’ or Istanbul process on Afghanistan, held in New Delhi on April 26, was significant, coinciding as it did with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s repudiation of the idea of engaging with Pakistan to curb the onslaught of the Taliban.

The ‘Heart of Asia’ or Istanbul Process was established in 2011 to provide a platform to encourage regional collaboration to tackle the issues facing Afghanistan, the ‘heart’ of Asia. A group of 14 countries other than Afghanistan, which form the core regional partnership, discuss regional issues, particularly encouraging security, political, and economic cooperation among Afghanistan and its neighbours. This region-led dialogue aims to expand practical coordination between Afghanistan and its neighbours and regional partners to face urgent common threats, particularly counter-terrorism, counter-narcotics, poverty, and extremism.

HoA Consultations

Other than the delegation from Afghanistan, headed by Deputy Foreign Minister Hekmat Karzai, delegations from the 14 other member countries, Azerbaijan, China, India, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, the United Arab Emirates and Uzbekistan attended the meeting in New Delhi. Also in attendance were representatives of 15 other supporting countries, including the US, and 11 supporting organisations, including the UN, NATO, SCO and OSCE.

пустым не оставлять!!
    Secret meeting brings Taliban to China
    After the closed door meeting, a source in the Indian government said, “It was a consultative meeting, the first this year, to discuss priorities and agenda in 2016 leading up to the Ministerial to be hosted by India in December 2016.”

As Co-Chair with Afghanistan, India “put forward certain suggestions to enhance regional cooperation within Heart of Asia (HoA) to enhance stability, security and prosperity in Afghanistan and in the region”, an official source said.

These include six HoA Confidence Building Measures (CBMs) and “augmenting regional connectivity”. Also, there was consensus on condemning the April 19 terrorist attack in Kabul which killed and maimed mover 400 people.

Over 40 participating countries and supporting countries and organisations agreed to continue to contribute to ongoing political, security and economic transformations in Afghanistan.

The April meeting focused on promoting further dialogue and cooperation and produced a declaration in support of Afghanistan’s development. Diplomats and officials spoke of enhancing regional efforts in counter-terrorism and counter-narcotics trafficking, trade promotion, and even the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) pipeline, and the expansion of the transit corridors under the Asian Development Bank’s Central Asia Regional Economic Corridor (CAREC) Program.

Combating Terrorism

The most serious discussion, the source said, was the issue of combating the spread of Islamic State (IS) terrorists towards the region and checking the Taliban. Mechanisms to improve the quality of intelligence sharing were discussed.

Russian diplomat Albert Khorev, who heads the Afghanistan department in the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, provided several concrete suggestions on improved coordination during the HoA meeting, an official source told RIR.

Analysts, observers and officials opine that without major commitments and sustained support from regional neighbours like Iran, Russia, China and India particularly, it is difficult for the Afghan government to endure; economically, politically, or militarily; with the war against a resurgent Taliban at its current pitch and Afghan politics so fractured.

Afghanistan’s neighbours in the region realise this, which is why countries like Iran and Russia have deepened their engagement with the insurgency. Iran has sheltered key Taliban factions in Mashhad, while Russia is increasing its diplomatic contacts with some elements of the Taliban in a bid to counter IS moves toward and gains in Central Asia.

Zamir Kabulov, Russia’s special envoy to Afghanistan, recently acknowledged that “we and the Taliban have channels for exchanging information”. “The Taliban interest,” he said while speaking to Interfax, “objectively coincides with ours.” He was referring to the IS, which is increasingly rivalling the Taliban in eastern parts of Afghanistan. No country wants to see a Taliban takeover.

India, a former senior official said, is stuck in a quandary and is unable to determine its way forward. Among its “red lines” is a refusal to differentiate between “good” Taliban and “bad” Taliban, hence it cannot engage with the insurgent group, certainly not officially.

Resolving Afghan crisis

Shashank Joshi, a Senior Research Fellow of the Royal United Services Institute, London, wrote in an opinion piece in the Hindu newspaper earlier this week that there have been various attempts at various forums to try and restore peace and stability to Afghanistan. Most recently, as violence raged, a Quadrilateral Coordination Group (QCG) of the U.S., China, Pakistan and Afghanistan was convened in January 2016 and met four times over the following month. This diplomatic initiative too has proved ineffective, and India has sought expansion of the quadrilateral to include three more members, Russia, Iran and India.

In his piece, Joshi wrote that the QCG’s efforts to engage the Taliban collapsed when news of their leader Mullah Omar’s death was confirmed by Pakistani authorities. The Pakistan establishment’s “levers” to “pressurise and control” the Taliban have proved increasingly ineffective as incidents of violence escalated, with the Taliban even retaking control of Kunduz town last September and horrific incidents of violence in Kabul, Helmand and Kandahar. Between January and March 2016, civilian deaths rose by 13 per cent compared to the same period in the previous year, while the number of “complex and suicide attacks” rose by over a quarter. As a result of this Pakistani recalcitrance, Afghan President Ghani called off his 18-month-long engagement with Pakistan after the April 19 attack in Kabul.

“The result may be a short-term boost in India-Afghanistan ties, but longer-term trends are bleak. No one,” Joshi wrote, “is fully committed to Afghanistan’s dysfunctional government. Beijing is unwilling to use its leverage over Pakistan, Washington is distracted, while Moscow and Tehran are hedging their bets. The idea of a regional concert of powers to resolve the conflict”, he said, “is implausible today.”

The HoA Process provides a new agenda for regional cooperation by placing Afghanistan at its centre and engaging countries of the region in sincere and result‐oriented cooperation for a peaceful and stable Afghanistan, as well as a secure and prosperous region as a whole.

https://in.rbth.com/economics/cooperation/2016/05/06/india-russia-working-to-resolve-afghan-crisis_590875
    Pinto

Pakistan cannot influence Russia’s strategic partnership with India- expert

Post  Pinto on Thu May 26, 2016 7:31 pm

https://rbth.com/international/2016/05/24/pakistan-cannot-influence-russias-strategic-partnership-with-india-exper_596865

After decades of frosty ties, Russia has finally begun to reach out to Pakistan. Economic, political and even defense ties are growing between the two countries that were on opposing camps during the Cold War.

The international media has been rife with speculation that Moscow is using its ties with Islamabad as a bargaining tool with its long-standing ally New Delhi.

In this interview with RBTH, Petr Topychankov, South Asia expert and Associate in the Carnegie Moscow Center’s Nonproliferation Program, tries to dispel the myths surrounding Moscow’s recent outreach to Islamabad.

RBTH: Articles published recently by international publications speculate that Russia-Pakistan relations are on the rise, because Moscow wants to use this as a tool in negotiations with New Delhi. Is there any truth in this?

Petr Topychkanov: Russia’s relations with Pakistan are rising, first of all, on the political level. It means that the number of contacts is rising and political relations are much more active than say 15 years ago. There are some significant events in this field. For example, Russia’s full support of Pakistan's membership of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO).

As for defense cooperation, there are some developments as well. The countries signed an agreement on military technical cooperation in 2014. There have not been any arms purchases yet, but talks on four transport helicopters are mostly finished. Then, there were small-scale drills, and this year there will be joint drills in the mountains.
    The Russian-Pakistani Consultative Group on Strategic Stability is actively working. These meetings are attended by high-level officials from the foreign and defense ministries of both countries.

Other than that, there are also some developments in economic cooperation. A Rostech subsidiary has begun constructing a local gas pipeline. Despite the project not being that big, I can call it a big success when compared to the past.

Then, Pakistan helped Russia to ensure its food security, when after a self-imposed food embargo against Western countries, Russia needed to find to food suppliers. Pakistan started supplying Russia with agricultural products.

RBTH: You mentioned political, defense and economic ties. Why is there a shift in Russian policies in South Asia?

I totally disagree with the idea, highlighted in a recent article on The Diplomat. The article suggests that the rise of Russia-Pakistan relations is linked to some problems existing between Russia and India. This is a very simplistic logic. It suggests that India looks for partners in the West, and in response Russia switches to Pakistan. This is not true. If people in the Russian establishment shared this kind of logic, Russia's policies in the region would have been very dangerous and most certainly doomed to failure.

I would put it in a different way. The underdeveloped relations with Pakistan, as I see it, are a legacy of the Cold War, when Pakistan was an ally of the U.S. In the 1970s and 80s, it supported the military opposition in Afghanistan, which was fighting against Soviet troops who were legally in the country. This situation didn't lead to a conflict between Pakistan and the USSR, but caused a deep distrust between them. But the war is over and Pakistan is no longer an American ally, although there were statements from both sides that Pakistan is a major non-NATO ally in the War on Terror. Such statements are not accurate.

Americans did give some aid to Pakistan in recent years, but these amounts didn't make Pakistan dependent on Washington. Pakistan has other close friends, and China is one of them.

From this point of view, Russia's slight approach to Pakistan looks logical. Russia and Pakistan have common interests in economy and security. Russia also wants to work with different partners in the region and not be stuck with just one partner. Russia is finally getting a balanced approach towards the region and seems to be elaborating a strategic approach to South Asia. This is logical.

Doesn’t this in any way affect Russia’s ties with India?

Pakistan cannot replace or even influence Russia’s strategic partnership with India. This is just impossible. Russia's priorities are very clear. I think that no matter how long New Delhi will enjoy its ‘honeymoon’ in relations with Washington, both India and Russia understand that their ties cannot be influenced by any third parties.

India will always play a very special role in Russia's foreign policy and Russia is very much interested in keeping the strategic level of its ties with India

This first of all concerns military cooperation: building of India's aircraft carriers, submarines and aircraft, and developing its non-nuclear cruise missle BrahMos.

Then there is atomic energy. Despite all existing dialogues between India and the U.S. and France, the only successful foreign-built nuclear power project in India was constructed by Russia.

That said, India will always play a very special role in Russia's foreign policy and Russia is very much interested in keeping the strategic level of its ties with India.

But many Indian analysts say that growing ties between Moscow and Islamabad are caused by a decline in the former’s ties with New Delhi…

I see no evidence, that Moscow links growing Russia-Pakistan ties with any possible cloud over Russia-India relations. This is something some analysts may want to happen, but I see no evidence. I would say that Russian officials made some attempts to state that India and Pakistan are two independent entities in Russian foreign policy. This was explained, although not very clearly, by Sergei Narishkin in his interview to TASS.

RBTH: It is very easy to add fuel to the fire when it concerns India-Pakistan relations. Many in India will suspect the worst even if you say Russia's relations with Pakistan are now natural and not linked to any problems in Russia-India relations. How should Moscow behave to show both sides that there is nothing to be concerned about?

First of all, Russia should clearly voice its strategy in the region. This strategy should be crystal clear and officially announced. This has not been done. People responsible for Russia's policies towards India and Pakistan belong to different departments and it's clear that they do not always communicate with each other, or coordinate their actions.

Second, Russia's strategy in both countries should be clear not only to politicians and governments, but also to the media and public. It means, that when Russia is planning to sign a military cooperation agreement with Pakistan, it should announce and discuss it in India and explain the reasons behind the decision. And it needs to do the very same thing with Pakistan, when it plans to sell India the S-400 air defense complex, because this is a matter of concern for Pakistan.

From the point of view of regional security, all three sides want peace and stability in South Asia.

These are very basic, but effective recommendations. Even so, they were not followed by Moscow. In 2014, when Sergey Chemesov, head of Rostech, announced the end of an arms embargo on Pakistan, this was a big and unpleasant surprise for India. The information was not accurate, because there was no embargo in the first place. There were only internal recommendations within Russian authorities, concerning a list of countries where it might not be suitable to sell arms. More than that, the Indian public was not ready for such news.
    I think the actions and words of all of Russia's decision-makers in the region should be coordinated and not be harmful.

RBTH: Will Pakistan and India join the SCO? And do you think it will be a positive step?

They will join the SCO, as the decision has already been taken and the finalization only needs time and readiness from India and Pakistan. Of course, India or Pakistan can decide to not join, but I hardly believe either of them would. All formal procedures have already begun.

SCO will not try to help India and Pakistan find a solution to the Kashmir problem. SCO is not going to push India and Pakistan towards a solution of their nuclear disputes. This is not a matter of SCO.

SCO gives them an international forum to express their positions on international issues and security issues in the region. SCO will also provide them a forum for bilateral discussions, without any interference from third parties. SCO will help build relations between their military forces and intelligence.

One of the most successful things that SCO has been doing is defense and anti-terrorism cooperation between members. SCO will also help them to start taking part in joint military drills. All this is very positive both for the region and for Russia's strategy in the region.

sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Thu May 26, 2016 8:23 pm

Like how India sits on two seats and acts like a cheap prostitute, Russia does not and will not need to communicate nor negotiate with India over Pakistan sales. India is playing a stupid game and will see itself isolated in the region. Russia doesn't have to comfort India or make it feel like a special snow flake. Fact of India moving closer to West is its decision and Russia's increase in cooperation with China and Pakistan will be the growing consequences of India's actions. Simple as that. India can't have the whole pie to itself, regardless what the corrupt and greedy Indians think.
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu May 26, 2016 10:32 pm

sepheronx wrote:Like how India sits on two seats and acts like a cheap prostitute, Russia does not and will not need to communicate nor negotiate with India over Pakistan sales. India is playing a stupid game and will see itself isolated in the region. Russia doesn't have to comfort India or make it feel like a special snow flake. Fact of India moving closer to West is its decision and Russia's increase in cooperation with China and Pakistan will be the growing consequences of India's actions. Simple as that. India can't have the whole pie to itself, regardless what the corrupt and greedy Indians think.

I'm shocked how almost no one talked about India's biggest betrayal against Russia, that aerospace deal they just cut with Ukraine...despite their poor service record (see Croatia about that)...the betrayal was so bad it's nearly unspeakable!
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Thu May 26, 2016 11:24 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Like how India sits on two seats and acts like a cheap prostitute, Russia does not and will not need to communicate nor negotiate with India over Pakistan sales. India is playing a stupid game and will see itself isolated in the region. Russia doesn't have to comfort India or make it feel like a special snow flake. Fact of India moving closer to West is its decision and Russia's increase in cooperation with China and Pakistan will be the growing consequences of India's actions. Simple as that. India can't have the whole pie to itself, regardless what the corrupt and greedy Indians think.

I'm shocked how almost no one talked about India's biggest betrayal against Russia, that aerospace deal they just cut with Ukraine...despite their poor service record (see Croatia about that)...the betrayal was so bad it's nearly unspeakable!

They betrayed only themselfs and send a strong message to other BRICS and military reliant partners to see where the gaps are in the days of war to come. Now they have to figure out how to close those gaps and they will see now that China and Russia have to compensate this hole all by themselfs. Regardless of how sinophobic or sceptic people of China are, they have learned who their enemy is and are working together and will continue to work with russia together untill US hegemony crumbles to none existence. 2052.
    Viktor

Post  Viktor on Thu May 26, 2016 11:34 pm

Its cheap these days in Ukraine to buy anything - I bet everybody is buying. I would say nothing big as India will learn what it means to do bussines with nazi as my country did

and nazi will in the proces earn another lawsuit about which everybody will know. Its basically win win situation for reliable weapon maker like Russia.
    OminousSpudd

Post  OminousSpudd on Fri May 27, 2016 7:05 am

Werewolf wrote:...until US hegemony crumbles to none existence. 2052.
    Werewolf that is a terribly pessimistic prediction there, given the US current economic trajectory it'll all be over in the next decade. Or maybe I'm being an optimist. Twisted Evil
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Fri May 27, 2016 8:07 am

Werewolf wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:

They betrayed only themselfs and send a strong message to other BRICS and military reliant partners to see where the gaps are in the days of war to come. Now they have to figure out how to close those gaps and they will see now that China and Russia have to compensate this hole all by themselfs. Regardless of how sinophobic or sceptic people of China are, they have learned who their enemy is and are working together and will continue to work with russia together untill US hegemony crumbles to none existence. 2052.

Backstabbing the Multipolar World: India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi Treads the Path of Sultan Erdogan
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Fri May 27, 2016 9:46 am

Viktor wrote:Its cheap these days in Ukraine to buy anything - I bet everybody is buying. I would say nothing big as India will learn what it means to do bussines with nazi as my country did

and nazi will in the proces earn another lawsuit about which everybody will know. Its basically win win situation for reliable weapon maker like Russia.

I was reading from some Chinese people that apparently China gave millions (or billions) for agriculture products and in over a year, received absolutely nothing in return and China is threatening Ukraine. Modi is a retard, simple as that.
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Fri May 27, 2016 9:49 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:

Can you post a link regarding it? I think it is about the AN aircrafts, right?
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 on Sat May 28, 2016 12:04 am

Damn man, has the situation in India really gotten that bad, this article feels so overkill?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:32 pm