Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

MiG-29/ΜiG-35 Fulcrum: News

eridan
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Re: MiG-29/ΜiG-35 Fulcrum: News

Post  eridan on Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:34 pm

Mig-35 of today is very much the almost same airframe to mig29m using similar engines. stemming from the 80s and flying as prototypes during 1990s. Su-35 is of different airframe construction to su27m, with greater difference in engines. Project was worked upon during 2000s. So su-35 is definitely newer design using newer solutions, by at least a decade, probably more.

Su-27m to su27s is actually more of an analgue to what mig-35 is to mig-29. Basically only avionics have received noticeable improvements. Mig-35 pushed that a little bit further than what mig29m had compared to mig-29, but that's it.

Svyatoslavich
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Svyatoslavich on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:52 pm

That is true. People often don't notice that the 117S is way bigger and more powerful than the AL-31, with huge improvement also in service life. And we should never confuse the "old" Su-35 (Su-27M) with the current Su-35S, as they are completely different in all aspects, including the airframe.
    Supposedly the new MiG-35 will use a new version of the RD-33, the MKM, which is a further step from the RD-33MK used now by the MiG-29K (the most modern version now in service). I have not found figure for the RD-33MKM to see how much improved it is, and if it can compare (apart from the obvious difference in size) with the 117S.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:54 am

Mig-35 of today is very much the almost same airframe to mig29m using similar engines.

Rubbish.

Current engines on the MiG put out an extra ton of thrust each at 9tons verses 8 tons of the old RD-33s.

More to the point the MiG-29M had a totally different airframe from all existing MiG-29s of the time, while the Su-27M did not upgrade very much at all except the Canard foreplanes which are not present on the Su-35.

Mig-35 pushed that a little bit further than what mig29m had compared to mig-29, but that's it.

That is just horse shit... if that were the case the MiG-35 would already be in service for over a decade.

The MiG-29M didn't have an AESA radar, it had a fairly basic IRST, it had no second IRST for ground targets and lower hemisphere targets, it had no DIRCMS, and had no DAS either.

The MiG-35 is every bit a -5 generation aircraft... every bit as much as the Su-35 is.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Pincus Shain
    Private
    Private

What does everyone make of this?

Post  Pincus Shain on Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:01 pm

The Indians are saying that due to "inferior Russian quality" and defects that the Mig-29K has an operational rate of just over 21%. Is this just a case of sour grapes? E.g. The Indians not being able to maintain a complex aircraft and passing the blame on or does the Mig-29K have serious shortcomings in reliability (Which is hard to believe because even those who claim the Mig-29 is technologically primitive compared to its western counterparts, they all admit it is rugged and reliable)?

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/naval/naval-aviation/2016/08/10/india-mig-29k-aircraft-navy-defects/88510782/

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:33 pm

I believe we have gone over this.

Essentially, the MiG-29Kub's that India uses are assembled in India.  Russia also uses the MiG-29K in good numbers and they are not reporting even close to the same issues.  Essentially, India has a huge problem overall in maintenance of its aircrafts and the ability to assemble them or manufacture them.  For instance, they have issues with the Su-30MKI, yet, Russia uses many of them too, and other countries use Su-30 variants and do not even come close to the same issues as India does, other than supply of spare parts which now there are new agreements for.

I do not believe something India states about the systems they use.  Look at the past Indian airforce had, and the only aircraft they had in decent service numbers was the Mirage jets, and I think that mostly those were having common spare parts sold to them and on time.

Edit: Also, for the sake of not looking like an idiot, please do not add words in like "Russian inferior quality" when that wasn't even posted in the article.

magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  magnumcromagnon on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:58 pm

sepheronx wrote:I believe we have gone over this.

Essentially, the MiG-29Kub's that India uses are assembled in India.  Russia also uses the MiG-29K in good numbers and they are not reporting even close to the same issues.  Essentially, India has a huge problem overall in maintenance of its aircrafts and the ability to assemble them or manufacture them.  For instance, they have issues with the Su-30MKI, yet, Russia uses many of them too, and other countries use Su-30 variants and do not even come close to the same issues as India does, other than supply of spare parts which now there are new agreements for.

I do not believe something India states about the systems they use.  Look at the past Indian airforce had, and the only aircraft they had in decent service numbers was the Mirage jets, and I think that mostly those were having common spare parts sold to them and on time.

Edit: Also, for the sake of not looking like an idiot, please do not add words in like "Russian inferior quality" when that wasn't even posted in the article.

Just look at the source, it's the same site that promotes India going to war with China, abandoning Russia for the U.S., and attacks Russia, China, and Iran every chance it gets. It's just Neo-con psycho babble!

Pincus Shain
    Private
    Private

Post  Pincus Shain on Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:24 pm

sepheronx wrote:

There is no need to say someone I look like an idiot. Especially when the article clearly does criticize Russian weapons in that very tone (unfairly in my opinion). All I did was post an article to get other views on it. To be frank in the article Arun Prakash, who served as chief of the Indian Naval Staff was cited as saying:

"The roots of these problems (serviceability and defects) lie in the extremely poor quality control in the Russian military-industrial complex and dismal product support being rendered by the Russian industry to the Indian Navy for the past 25 years,"

To me that means he is accusing Russian arms of being inferior quality, a point that I do NOT agree with and a point that i believe is not valid given the fact that India continually purchases Russian weaponry when it has the option of choosing US/Europe etc.

NOTE: I am a fan of the Fulcrum family and I do not hate on it, this is something I can across that surprised me and I wanted the opinion of others here who clearly are more knowledgeable on the subject than I am. Anyway I am not interested in a fight, I am here to learn things from the people on the forum but at the same time I do not appreciate being called an idiot. Anyway whats done is done. Have a nice day and thanks for the constructive part of your post.

Benya
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post  Benya on Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:43 pm

Izvestiya: OAK says MiG-35 to begin state tests late summer, finish before 2017. Contract to be signed early 2017.

Defense Ministry: is about to begin serial production of the latest MiG-35

This is the most advanced aircraft in the family of "MiG", which is considered as a transitional stage to the fifth-generation fighter

VKS Russian plan to buy new Russian light fighter MiG-35, which will soon go into serial production, said the Chief of the Military Space Forces Colonel-General Viktor Bondarev.

"Work on the MiG-35 are in full swing. Aircraft, I think, will soon become a series, and we have this aircraft will also buy "- Bondarev said.

July 19, "Izvestia" reported that the United Aircraft Corporation at the end of the summer will begin flight tests of the MiG-35 fighters. Aircraft will be tested until 2017, said then Vice-President for Innovation and Sergei Korotkov said that after the tests can be contracted to serial delivery of the Ministry of Defence aircraft.

MiG-35 is a multipurpose fighter generation 4 ++, which is an improved model of the MiG-29K / KUB and MiG-29M / M2 and is considered as a transitional stage to the fifth-generation fighter. He is the most perfect in the family of fighters, developed by the Russian Aircraft Corporation "MiG". The aircraft is equipped with electronic equipment, which allows the use of all means of destruction of aircraft.

The armament of the MiG-35 aircraft entered advanced weapons, not previously offered for export, according to the Ministry of Defense reported.

Original article (in russian)
    Arrow http://izvestia.ru/news/626863#ixzz4HFb2yZ8K

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:57 am

Pincus Shain wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:

There is no need to say someone I look like an idiot. Especially when the article clearly does criticize Russian weapons in that very tone (unfairly in my opinion). All I did was post an article to get other views on it. To be frank in the article Arun Prakash, who served as chief of the Indian Naval Staff was cited as saying:

"The roots of these problems (serviceability and defects) lie in the extremely poor quality control in the Russian military-industrial complex and dismal product support being rendered by the Russian industry to the Indian Navy for the past 25 years,"

To me that means he is accusing Russian arms of being inferior quality, a point that I do NOT agree with and a point that i believe is not valid given the fact that India continually purchases Russian weaponry when it has the option of choosing US/Europe etc.

NOTE: I am a fan of the Fulcrum family and I do not hate on it, this is something I can across that surprised me and I wanted the opinion of others here who clearly are more knowledgeable on the subject than I am. Anyway I am not interested in a fight, I am here to learn things from the people on the forum but at the same time I do not appreciate being called an idiot. Anyway whats done is done. Have a nice day and thanks for the constructive part of your post.

All I am trying to do is provide you with insight regarding posting to keep your credibility. People tend to get mad or question peoples credibility if they add their own titles to an article. So I am not trying to hate on you or degrade you. Just simply pointing out the obvious.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:26 am

The only articles I have read claiming there are problems with the MiG-29K in Indian service point to third party components from western sources being the main problem.

Aircraft are arriving in India where the third party western bits are to be added and they are turning out to be faulty or below par in terms of performance specs.

The solution is to blame the Russians.

I am surprised Russia has not been blamed for creating ISIS yet.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:17 am

Benya wrote:Izvestiya: OAK says MiG-35 to begin state tests late summer, finish before 2017. Contract to be signed early 2017.

This is the most advanced aircraft in the family of "MiG", which is considered as a transitional stage to the fifth-generation fighter

VKS Russian plan to buy new Russian light fighter MiG-35, which will soon go into serial production, said the Chief of the Military Space Forces Colonel-General Viktor Bondarev.

"Work on the MiG-35 are in full swing. Aircraft, I think, will soon become a series, and we have this aircraft will also buy "- Bondarev said.

July 19, "Izvestia" reported that the United Aircraft Corporation at the end of the summer will begin flight tests of the MiG-35 fighters. Aircraft will be tested until 2017, said then Vice-President for Innovation and Sergei Korotkov said that after the tests can be contracted to serial delivery of the Ministry of Defence aircraft.

MiG-35 is a multipurpose fighter generation 4 ++, which is an improved model of the MiG-29K / KUB and MiG-29M / M2 and is considered as a transitional stage to the fifth-generation fighter. He is the most perfect in the family of fighters, developed by the Russian Aircraft Corporation "MiG". The aircraft is equipped with electronic equipment, which allows the use of all means of destruction of aircraft.

The armament of the MiG-35 aircraft entered advanced weapons, not previously offered for export, according to the Ministry of Defense reported.

The plane is actually already well tested with MiG-29M/M2 and MiG-29K/KUB, all they need to test is the new equipment in the plane and weapon integration, so this could really be done in short period of time, so serial production in 2017 is not impossible.

In that time Russia will most probably officially recognize Novorussia (DNR/LNR), specially if Ukraine start a new war and MiG-35 Will be ideal multirole fighter for Novorussian air force as they Will not need big Su-30 or Su-35 as even whole southeastern Novorussian territory is not that big to need big Flankers. For the start a regiment of two squadrons would be quite enough for their needs. There is a good question, how many ex-Ukrainian MiG-29 pilots remain in Crimea as they could be the base of Novorussian air force fighter pilots and instructors for new young pilots.

Benya
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post  Benya on Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:10 pm

medo wrote:
    Benya wrote:Izvestiya: OAK says MiG-35 to begin state tests late summer, finish before 2017. Contract to be signed early 2017.

The plane is actually already well tested with MiG-29M/M2 and MiG-29K/KUB, all they need to test is the new equipment in the plane and weapon integration, so this could really be done in short period of time, so serial production in 2017 is not impossible.

In that time Russia will most probably officially recognize Novorussia (DNR/LNR), specially if Ukraine start a new war and MiG-35 Will be ideal multirole fighter for Novorussian air force as they Will not need big Su-30 or Su-35 as even whole southeastern Novorussian territory is not that big to need big Flankers. For the start a regiment of two squadrons would be quite enough for their needs. There is a good question, how many ex-Ukrainian MiG-29 pilots remain in Crimea as they could be the base of Novorussian air force fighter pilots and instructors for new young pilots.

Well, if they would be recognized, I think that both the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics (or Novorossiya as a whole) would be parts of the Russian Federation like the Republic of Chenchnya, Adygea, Buryatia and so on. They would not require a separated air force, but Russian Army and Air Force troops could be stationed there, but I think that is a different topic.

MiG-29s are already stationed at Kursk (98 km from Russian-Ukrainian border) and at Millerovo (Voronezh region, a mere 38 kilometers from the border), while Su-25 CAS planes are stationed at Buturlinovka and at Borisoglebsk (both at Voronezh region, 144 and 245 kilometers from the border, so in case of another Russo-Ukrainian war, aircraft of these bases would play the main role in the aerial supression of the conflict

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:47 pm

Benya wrote:
    medo wrote:

Well, if they would be recognized, I think that both the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics (or Novorossiya as a whole) would be parts of the Russian Federation like the Republic of Chenchnya, Adygea, Buryatia and so on. They would not require a separated air force, but Russian Army and Air Force troops could be stationed there, but I think that is a different topic.

MiG-29s are already stationed at Kursk (98 km from Russian-Ukrainian border) and at Millerovo (Voronezh region, a mere 38 kilometers from the border), while Su-25 CAS planes are stationed at Buturlinovka and at Borisoglebsk (both at Voronezh region, 144 and 245 kilometers from the border, so in case of another Russo-Ukrainian war, aircraft of these bases would play the main role in the aerial supression of the conflict

No, in case of recognition, they will be recognized as independent state like South Ossetia and Abkhazia and will not be part of Russian Federation. As independent state, Novorussia or DNR/LNR will need their own air force as well as navy, although not large in size. In case Novorussia will grow to whole SE Ukraine from Odessa to Kharkov, than their need in air force and navy will grow to protect longer coast and larger air space. Anyway, for their need combination of MiG-35 and Yak-130 or SR-10 will be more than enough.

Benya
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post  Benya on Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:30 pm

medo wrote:

No, in case of recognition, they will be recognized as independent state like South Ossetia and Abkhazia and will not be part of Russian Federation. As independent state, Novorussia or DNR/LNR will need their own air force as well as navy, although not large in size. In case Novorussia will grow to whole SE Ukraine from Odessa to Kharkov, than their need in air force and navy will grow to protect longer coast and larger air space. Anyway, for their need combination of MiG-35 and Yak-130 or SR-10 will be more than enough.

Well, at least half of the Donbass region's population is ethnic russian, so it would make sense if they would be annexed by Russia, but again, this is highly off-topic, and there are existing discussions about this.

And again, why do you think that both regions need an air force? These are self-proclaimed republics, (at the moment) even Russia does not recognize them as independent states. Their governments does not have Ministries of Defense, so they cannot sign defense related contracts with any foerign country. Their militaries are made up from rebels and volunteers.

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:04 pm

Benya wrote:Well, at least half of the Donbass region's population is ethnic russian, so it would make sense if they would be annexed by Russia, but again, this is highly off-topic, and there are existing discussions about this.

And again, why do you think that both regions need an air force? These are self-proclaimed republics, (at the moment) even Russia does not recognize them as independent states. Their governments does not have Ministries of Defense, so they cannot sign defense related contracts with any foerign country. Their militaries are made up from rebels and volunteers.

Two years ago they were just people who refuse madness of Kiev junta. Now they are more or less a state with their regular state army, who defend itself against Ukrainian nazi regime. With new war, Russia will recognize them and than they could make contracts with recognized independent state. Strong Novorussia is also a good buffer on western Russian border.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:12 am

Well, the air frame and aerodynamics are fully tested, but individual systems tests and then integration testing takes time too... don't want to end up like the B-1B where its jamming system disabled its own systems including navigation...

In that time Russia will most probably officially recognize Novorussia (DNR/LNR), specially if Ukraine start a new war and MiG-35 Will be ideal multirole fighter for Novorussian air force as they Will not need big Su-30 or Su-35 as even whole southeastern Novorussian territory is not that big to need big Flankers.

I rather doubt this... the Russians will get the MiG-35 into Russian service first and perhaps sell modifications to countries like Algeria and Egypt... depending upon who wants it, but I rather doubt they will go into the Ukraine mess like that.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:59 am

http://ria.ru/tv_defense_safety/20160819/1474759263.html

Assembly of MiG-35 for ministry of defense. Guess first batch to be tested for the RuAF.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:50 am

A video filmed from the cockpit of a MiG-29SMT fighter jet engaged in a mock dogfight was recently released by the press service of Russia’s Western Military District.

Isos
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  Isos on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:09 pm

Mig 29 lunching anti radar Kh-31

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 pm

interesting.. i had the impression that old MiG-29s didnt have air-to-ground capability

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:14 pm

George1 wrote:interesting.. i had the impression that old MiG-29s didnt have air-to-ground capability

Kh-31P probably, inertial guidance with passive radar in terminal phase, you can launch it from anything basically.

GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:44 am

sepheronx wrote:http://ria.ru/tv_defense_safety/20160819/1474759263.html

Assembly of MiG-35 for ministry of defense.  Guess first batch to be tested for the RuAF.

any news on MiG-35 as a basis for new MiG light fighter?

kopyo-21
    Private
    Private

Post  kopyo-21 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:19 am

George1 wrote:interesting.. i had the impression that old MiG-29s didnt have air-to-ground capability
    You are right. Old Mig-29s can not fire Kh-31P. I think that was upgraded one that equipped internal or external targeting complex for anti-radiation missiles like Kh-31P and Kh-58.

Militarov wrote:Kh-31P probably, inertial guidance with passive radar in terminal phase, you can launch it from anything basically.
    Kh-31P still need target position provided by internal or external targeting complex that non-upgraded Mig-29s don't have.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:01 am

AFAIK the MiG-29S (sometimes called MiG-29C) has the Gardenyia EW system in an internal mounting system which should allow the use of ARMs like Kh-31 and Kh-25MP and of course Kh-58.

kopyo-21
    Private
    Private

Post  kopyo-21 on Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:48 am

GarryB wrote:AFAIK the MiG-29S (sometimes called MiG-29C) has the Gardenyia EW system in an internal mounting system which should allow the use of ARMs like Kh-31 and Kh-25MP and of course Kh-58.
    Did you mean the Mig-29 9-13 1with Gardenyia placed in enlarged dorsal? As I know Gardenyia did not have the function to find out & provide coordinate of radiation targets to the automatic fligh control system of anti-radiation missiles like Kh-31P and Kh-58. At that time, for SEAD missions, Mig-27 and Su-17 had to equip Vjuga targeting pod for Kh-58/Kh-27PS or Progress targeting pod for Kh-31P while Su-24M used the L-080/L-0821 Fantasmagoria-A/B targeting pods for Kh-58/Kh-31P.

The Mig-29 that fired Kh-31P missile we saw in the video surely had been upgraded with L-150 Pastel RWR that has function to find out & feed target information for anti-radiation missiles.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:27 am

Current date/time is Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:27 am