Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Share
    avatar
    Godric

    Posts : 470
    Points : 490
    Join date : 2015-04-30
    Location : Alba (Scotland)

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Godric on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:52 pm

    so much for American Armor being invincible a video in Yemen showing Two Abrams M1A2 Sep tanks of Saudi Arabia being torn apart by Yemeni rebels




    these are tanks equipped with depleted uranium composite armor that is used in American Abrams tanks
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5589
    Join date : 2012-10-25

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Werewolf on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:29 pm

    Godric wrote:so much for American Armor being invincible a video in Yemen showing Two Abrams M1A2 Sep tanks of Saudi Arabia being torn apart by Yemeni rebels




    these are tanks equipped with depleted uranium composite armor that is used in American Abrams tanks

    There is no depleted uranium on the sides only front turret plates left and right form gun, however even it had 4 times the thickness of the DU armor plates in the turret for its side turret it would not help a little actually make it even worse.

    Anyways, nice post good thing to see and like i can tell both ammos have been set off, not just the ammunition in the ammo bustle but also the ammunition in the 2nd ammo bustle storage of the hull on the right side. Do not have much hopes for the crew, i would assume gunloader and commander are dead, where the Kornet hit.
    avatar
    Walther von Oldenburg

    Posts : 919
    Points : 974
    Join date : 2015-01-23
    Age : 26
    Location : Oldenburg

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:39 pm

    It was not a Kornet - it's either a Fagot or a Konkurs. Kornet has a spinning trajectory and flies much faster.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5589
    Join date : 2012-10-25

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Werewolf on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:50 pm

    Walther von Oldenburg wrote:It was not a Kornet - it's either a Fagot or a Konkurs. Kornet has a spinning trajectory and flies much faster.

    But it is spinning and it was quite fast, anyway velocity is hard to judge from this angle without any reference points to judge distance when camera is zoomed in. Maybe with more distinct clue can hint us to which exact ATGM makes this wierd sound right before the Missile is launched.

    Edit: Probably is a Konkurs, haven't paid to much attention first time i watched video, but now looks like one.
    avatar
    Godric

    Posts : 470
    Points : 490
    Join date : 2015-04-30
    Location : Alba (Scotland)

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Godric on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:30 pm

    Werewolf wrote:
    Godric wrote:so much for American Armor being invincible a video in Yemen showing Two Abrams M1A2 Sep tanks of Saudi Arabia being torn apart by Yemeni rebels




    these are tanks equipped with depleted uranium composite armor that is used in American Abrams tanks

    There is no depleted uranium on the sides only front turret plates left and right form gun, however even it had 4 times the thickness of the DU armor plates in the turret for its side turret it would not help a little actually make it even worse.

    Anyways, nice post good thing to see and like i can tell both ammos have been set off, not just the ammunition in the ammo bustle but also the ammunition in the 2nd ammo bustle storage of the hull on the right side. Do not have much hopes for the crew, i would assume gunloader and commander are dead, where the Kornet hit.

    Americans have been mocking T-72s getting creamed in Syria and Iraq the big difference is that the T-72s being creamed on video are T-72M1s or otherwise known as the monkey model ( © Book) of the A variant (from the 1970s) .... so any time Yanks slag Russian armor ... we have the proof that their tanks are vastly overrated .... no crew would have survived that impact we saw on the 2nd one that one of the crew survived
    avatar
    Stealthflanker

    Posts : 800
    Points : 882
    Join date : 2009-08-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Indonesia

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Stealthflanker on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:38 pm

    KoTeMoRe wrote:

    All based on T-64 rolling train, Soviet Era Kharkov-Morozov DB legacy is clear, as you can see various bits of the Oplot /Yatagan everywhere. It's shame...

    Those oldies are from 1980's period (1983-1985).. far before Yatagan or Oplot. They're state of the art in that era.

    I wonder how you can call them shame ? They're state of the art in that era.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5589
    Join date : 2012-10-25

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Werewolf on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:45 pm

    Stealthflanker wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

    All based on T-64 rolling train, Soviet Era Kharkov-Morozov DB legacy is clear, as you can see various bits of the Oplot /Yatagan everywhere. It's shame...

    Those oldies are from 1980's period (1983-1985).. far before Yatagan or Oplot. They're state of the art in that era.  

    I wonder how you can call them shame ? They're state of the art in that era.

    He meant, that it is a shame that their reputation is getting destroyed by the stupid and blatant use by 404 zombies.
    avatar
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3245
    Points : 3351
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  flamming_python on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:52 pm

    Godric wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:
    Godric wrote:so much for American Armor being invincible a video in Yemen showing Two Abrams M1A2 Sep tanks of Saudi Arabia being torn apart by Yemeni rebels




    these are tanks equipped with depleted uranium composite armor that is used in American Abrams tanks

    There is no depleted uranium on the sides only front turret plates left and right form gun, however even it had 4 times the thickness of the DU armor plates in the turret for its side turret it would not help a little actually make it even worse.

    Anyways, nice post good thing to see and like i can tell both ammos have been set off, not just the ammunition in the ammo bustle but also the ammunition in the 2nd ammo bustle storage of the hull on the right side. Do not have much hopes for the crew, i would assume gunloader and commander are dead, where the Kornet hit.

    Americans have been mocking T-72s getting creamed in Syria and Iraq the big difference is that the T-72s being creamed on video are T-72M1s or otherwise known as the monkey model ( © Book) of the A variant (from the 1970s) .... so any time Yanks slag Russian armor ... we have the proof that their tanks are vastly overrated  .... no crew would have survived that impact we saw on the 2nd one that one of the crew survived  

    Even the best orotected tank can suffer a critical hit on a 20 roll of a d20 die.
    1 annihilation doesn't prove much by itself.
    avatar
    Godric

    Posts : 470
    Points : 490
    Join date : 2015-04-30
    Location : Alba (Scotland)

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Godric on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:15 pm

    flamming_python wrote:
    Godric wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:
    Godric wrote:so much for American Armor being invincible a video in Yemen showing Two Abrams M1A2 Sep tanks of Saudi Arabia being torn apart by Yemeni rebels




    these are tanks equipped with depleted uranium composite armor that is used in American Abrams tanks

    There is no depleted uranium on the sides only front turret plates left and right form gun, however even it had 4 times the thickness of the DU armor plates in the turret for its side turret it would not help a little actually make it even worse.

    Anyways, nice post good thing to see and like i can tell both ammos have been set off, not just the ammunition in the ammo bustle but also the ammunition in the 2nd ammo bustle storage of the hull on the right side. Do not have much hopes for the crew, i would assume gunloader and commander are dead, where the Kornet hit.

    Americans have been mocking T-72s getting creamed in Syria and Iraq the big difference is that the T-72s being creamed on video are T-72M1s or otherwise known as the monkey model ( © Book) of the A variant (from the 1970s) .... so any time Yanks slag Russian armor ... we have the proof that their tanks are vastly overrated  .... no crew would have survived that impact we saw on the 2nd one that one of the crew survived  

    Even the best orotected tank can suffer a critical hit on a 20 roll of a d20 die.
    1 annihilation doesn't prove much by itself.

    admittedly the 2nd Abrams never went Boom like the first 1 but it didn't half cook up killing at least 2 of the crew ... you have to question why did the Saudis leave them exposed without any visible infantry support ??
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3912
    Points : 3939
    Join date : 2015-04-22
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:28 pm

    Werewolf wrote:
    Stealthflanker wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

    All based on T-64 rolling train, Soviet Era Kharkov-Morozov DB legacy is clear, as you can see various bits of the Oplot /Yatagan everywhere. It's shame...

    Those oldies are from 1980's period (1983-1985).. far before Yatagan or Oplot. They're state of the art in that era.  

    I wonder how you can call them shame ? They're state of the art in that era.

    He meant, that it is a shame that their reputation is getting destroyed by the stupid and blatant use by 404 zombies.

    Yeah it's indeed a shame KMDB is now scraping for pennies. Such a powerhouse.

    As for the Abrams those are both A2's. The ATGM in both cases is Old Konkurs, as you can see it is far slower than the Kornet and has the very characteristic high pitch sound after being set off. The kornet is faster and at launch has only a small generator like sound. "grgrgr feeeew"

    The second Abrams has the fighting compartment torched. You can see the the fumes coming out of main gunner and commander hatches. That doesn't happen when there's no penetration.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5589
    Join date : 2012-10-25

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Werewolf on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:31 pm

    Well at least a good balance is the ukrops are destroying reputation of T-64 and T-80 while Saudis and Arabic Emirates are destroying those of M1A2 and Leclerc, maybe they will go full retard and destroy reputation of Leopard 2A6/a7 aswell.
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3912
    Points : 3939
    Join date : 2015-04-22
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:42 pm

    Werewolf wrote:Well at least a good balance is the ukrops are destroying reputation of T-64 and T-80 while Saudis and Arabic Emirates are destroying those of M1A2 and Leclerc, maybe they will go full retard and destroy reputation of Leopard 2A6/a7 aswell.

    The Leopard has it coming though, it stores a quarter of its rounds on the front hull. 3 o'clock shot gets you bingo time. Given how Konkurs is really showing off, God forbid Kornet ever set sights on these western "wunderwaffe". Oh well Karma has communist Bias!
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5589
    Join date : 2012-10-25

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Werewolf on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:44 pm

    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:Well at least a good balance is the ukrops are destroying reputation of T-64 and T-80 while Saudis and Arabic Emirates are destroying those of M1A2 and Leclerc, maybe they will go full retard and destroy reputation of Leopard 2A6/a7 aswell.

    The Leopard has it coming though, it stores a quarter of its rounds on the front hull. 3 o'clock shot gets you bingo time. Given how Konkurs is really showing off, God forbid Kornet ever set sights on these western "wunderwaffe". Oh well Karma has communist Bias!

    It stores enough ammunition to let a 23ton turret fly a few dozen meters and maybe crack another one with it.
    avatar
    Stealthflanker

    Posts : 800
    Points : 882
    Join date : 2009-08-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Indonesia

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Stealthflanker on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:01 pm

    Godric wrote:

    admittedly the 2nd Abrams never went Boom like the first 1 but it didn't half cook up killing at least 2 of the crew ... you have to question why did the Saudis leave them exposed without any visible infantry support ??

    Yes..that's very weird. I wonder why Saudis didn't learned from what happened to Iraqi's Abrams.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5589
    Join date : 2012-10-25

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Werewolf on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:10 pm

    Stealthflanker wrote:
    Godric wrote:

    admittedly the 2nd Abrams never went Boom like the first 1 but it didn't half cook up killing at least 2 of the crew ... you have to question why did the Saudis leave them exposed without any visible infantry support ??

    Yes..that's very weird. I wonder why Saudis didn't learned from what happened to Iraqi's Abrams.

    People sitting on high horses do not want to learn from their believed "inferior" enemies.
    avatar
    Stealthflanker

    Posts : 800
    Points : 882
    Join date : 2009-08-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Indonesia

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Stealthflanker on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:12 pm

    Werewolf wrote:

    People sitting on high horses do not want to learn from their believed "inferior" enemies.

    Now let's see if UAE's do any smarter with their Leclerc.
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3912
    Points : 3939
    Join date : 2015-04-22
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:13 pm

    Werewolf wrote:
    Stealthflanker wrote:
    Godric wrote:

    admittedly the 2nd Abrams never went Boom like the first 1 but it didn't half cook up killing at least 2 of the crew ... you have to question why did the Saudis leave them exposed without any visible infantry support ??

    Yes..that's very weird. I wonder why Saudis didn't learned from what happened to Iraqi's Abrams.

    People sitting on high horses do not want to learn from their believed "inferior" enemies.

    On another side, you know the line: when your attack is going too well, then you've walked in an ambush. ;-).
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5589
    Join date : 2012-10-25

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Werewolf on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:14 pm

    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:
    Stealthflanker wrote:
    Godric wrote:

    admittedly the 2nd Abrams never went Boom like the first 1 but it didn't half cook up killing at least 2 of the crew ... you have to question why did the Saudis leave them exposed without any visible infantry support ??

    Yes..that's very weird. I wonder why Saudis didn't learned from what happened to Iraqi's Abrams.

    People sitting on high horses do not want to learn from their believed "inferior" enemies.

    On another side, you know the line: when your attack is going too well, then you've walked in an ambush. ;-).

    True, had far to often that feeling in Arma 3 and i realized it to late.
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3912
    Points : 3939
    Join date : 2015-04-22
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:43 pm

    Speaking of UAE their BMP-3's got some mines on their teeth. Soviet Mines blowing up Soviet/Russian APC's.
    avatar
    Godric

    Posts : 470
    Points : 490
    Join date : 2015-04-30
    Location : Alba (Scotland)

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Godric on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:48 pm

    Werewolf wrote:
    Stealthflanker wrote:
    Godric wrote:

    admittedly the 2nd Abrams never went Boom like the first 1 but it didn't half cook up killing at least 2 of the crew ... you have to question why did the Saudis leave them exposed without any visible infantry support ??

    Yes..that's very weird. I wonder why Saudis didn't learned from what happened to Iraqi's Abrams.

    People sitting on high horses do not want to learn from their believed "inferior" enemies.

    it has been standard procedure to have infantry support in tank warfare for nearly 8 decades .... come to think of it it's been standard procedure from 1916 when the Mark 1 Male was introduced during WW2 ... these arabs have a procedure all of their own it's called the cluster f**k manoeuvre
    avatar
    Stealthflanker

    Posts : 800
    Points : 882
    Join date : 2009-08-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Indonesia

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Stealthflanker on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:01 am

    US-1975 TRADOC on Soviet ATGM.



    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5589
    Join date : 2012-10-25

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Werewolf on Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:36 pm

    Here is a good article about Explosive Reactive Armor and the Ukrainian ERA Myths and Reality.

    Worth reading, it also mentions exactly how Relikt works, which i haven't seen explained before, it mentions statistics between K-5, Nozh and Relict in how much explosives they use, what type of technology it is and what effeciency they have on different types of warheads and their estimated deflection of Sabot rounds in angle of attack to their intial trajectory with Relict inducing a yaw of  15° compared to Kontakt-5 of 8° and Nozh 10°.

    Relict works more or less like Kontakt-5 it propells after detonation a armored plate towards the incoming Sabot and breaks it in half, but on Relikt it uses two armored plates facing towards and facing backwards towards the armor. The Relict tiles are placed similiar to ERA tiles of Kontakt-5 not directly in contact with the exact armor but are kept static a few centimeters above armor. This lowers the effect of detonation on armor and the shockwave that travels through armor inside the tank, but aswell gives the back facing armor plate the opportunity to chase after the penetrated Sabot and push it further out of its trajectory providing a yaw from 15° which the front plate already creates an extra 5° yaw and can even break the Sabot further down, meaning reducing its weight which is one of the crucial factors of high penetration values.

    The problem with Nozh on Sabots and their core of WHA or DU is that the Sabot passes the first shaped charges of Nozh and while they are exploding, the moving Sabot "smears" the forming shaped charges out their forms and reducing its effeciency to a mere "cosmetic" damage on the surface of Sabots like M829A3.

    http://vpk.name/news/118456_ukrainskie_razrabotki_dinamicheskoi_zashityi__mifyi_i_realnost.html

    Worth reading for everyone, very interesting.

    The article also mentions that Relict is in use in 3 foreign countries and is in active service since 2006.
    avatar
    Book.

    Posts : 699
    Points : 760
    Join date : 2015-05-08
    Location : Oregon, USA

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Book. on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:43 am

    中国政府、戦勝式典などに韓国・朴槿恵大統領らの出席を発表
    Japan eye China government, announced the attendance of South Korea, Park Geun presidents to Victory Ceremony

    25 Augu 2015 23:06 [08.27.2015n16:41:33]

    More Here: http://www.fnn-news.com/news/headlines/articles/CONN00301128.html

    韓国からは、朴槿恵(パク・クネ)大統領が出席予定となった。
    中国政府は、9月3日に行う抗日戦争勝利70年の軍事パレードやレセプションなど一連の式典に、ロシアのプーチン大統領や韓国の朴槿恵大統領ら、30人の首脳クラスが出席すると発表した。
    軍事パレードに出席するか注目されていたパク大統領については、中国外務省は「あらゆる記念式典に参加する」と述べた。

    From South Korea, Park Geun (Park Kune) President became the attendance schedule.

    The Chinese government, in a series of ceremonies such as the military parade and reception of the anti-Japanese war victory 70 years to perform on September 3, Russian President Vladimir Putin and South Korean Park Geun president, et al., Has announced that attend 30 people Leaders class.

    For Park President had been attention or to attend the military parade, China Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, "to participate in any ceremony."
    Choe Ryong-hae (Choi Ryonhe) Labor Party secretary attend from North Korea.

    Abe, if you are already announced that it forgo the visit to China, the Japanese



    Here the lite tank
    avatar
    Godric

    Posts : 470
    Points : 490
    Join date : 2015-04-30
    Location : Alba (Scotland)

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Godric on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:08 pm

    Chinese camouflage is absolute nuts .... that blue camo design is shocking
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10519
    Points : 10996
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  George1 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:30 pm

    Tank That Sees Enemy First Almost Always Wins the Fight: T-14 Vs M-1

    The US media has attempted to compare Russia’s new tank, the Armata T-14, with the US M-1 Abrams, which it claims is “proven, reliable and still being upgraded”. As it turns out, 'still being upgraded' means that the M-1 is effectively a work-in-progress, whereas its Russian counterpart is currently ready for the battlefield.

    “The T-14 is a complete departure from previous Soviet and Russian tanks”, which “were relatively simple, extremely rugged and produced in mass quantities”, according to the article in The national Interest magazine.

    “In fact, the Armata comes in many versions as was envisioned for the US Army’s now-defunct Future Combat System program. There is a tank, infantry-fighting vehicle, a self-propelled artillery piece and a host of other variants. The most prominent of these is the T-14 main battle tank Armata variant.”

    The Armata, it says, is now fitted with “a number of very advanced features that have never been implemented in an operational tank anywhere else in the world”.

    First of all, it bet on “crew survivability”. In its attempt to find a reason for Russia's determination to put a premium on the safety of its troops, the media outlet concluded that it had something to do with Russia’s “declining demographics”.

    To assure the crew survivability, the tank is equipped with an unmanned turret.

    “The advantage is that the crew compartment is physically separated from the ammunition. Further, the tank is equipped with passive laminated armor combined with reactive armor and an active protection system. The Afghanit active protection system allegedly includes millimeter-wave radars to detect, track and intercept incoming rounds. Taken in aggregate, the Armata offers much-better crew survivability than any previous Russian or Soviet tank—assuming all of these features work.”

    As for the Abrams, it is hailed as “a proven, reliable design that is still being upgraded."

    While neglecting to assess the current US arsenal's ability to measure up to Russia's latest war machines, the outlet has high hopes for the future combat capabilities of the US ground forces, claiming "the forthcoming M1A3 Will be somewhat lighter and more mobile. The US Army also Plans to replace the 120mm M256 smoothbore gun with a lighter version.”

    “New guided projectiles Might also enable the Abrams to hit targets as far away as 12,000m”, it adds, optimistically.

    “But Russian tanks Are also equipped to fire anti-tank guided missiles via their main gun—it’s really a question of who sees the other first,” the outlet reassures.

    The tank that sees the enemy first almost always wins the fight, it says, neglecting the irony of the fact that Russia is already able to produce next-generation main battle tanks.

    “The Armata is a new design, and it will inevitably have teething problems as it matures. Further, there is the question of whether the T-14 can be produced in numbers—that’s very much a factor, given the state of Russia’s economy. Ultimately, it could prove to be a formidable weapon,” it concludes.

    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20150913/1026934537/russia-us-armata-abrams-comparison.html#ixzz3lcoUAhoy


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    Sponsored content

    Re: General Main Battle Tank Technology Thread:

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:13 pm