Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Share
    avatar
    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5673
    Points : 6324
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  Viktor on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:51 am

    TR1 wrote:Russia is getting 8 launchers per battery right?

    Lenta mentions China would be buying 8 launcher per battery as well.


    Export norm is 8 launchers per battery which is why China is getting 8 launchers per battery although if someone wants they may opt to add more launchers/radars/decoys/ECM/ELINT

    etc for a price off course.

    Russian tend to use at least 8 launchers per battery but for a prepaired loacations that does not matter since each of those has their own very large stock of missiles.




    TR1 wrote:Do we have any news of Russia or any export customers actually buying 9M96 for Favorit or Triumph units? I think the capability is paper at best, we will see 9M96 on S-350.

    Sadly I think no one had a chance to buy 9M96 within Favorit since development of the missile lasted until recently and perhaps its still being tested.



    TR1 wrote:Also it should be noted the quad packed missiles (9M96) are small compared to the standard rounds, but by no means are they short range. 120-150km is better than the original 5V55 by far!

    Yup, quite powerful stuff that will greatly enchant even existing AD systems.

    rambo54
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 114
    Points : 118
    Join date : 2014-04-01

    TELs

    Post  rambo54 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:43 am

    gentlemen!
    I have a question regarding the TEL vehicles of S-400 system.
    606, 210 and 183 RGT got two Battalions each with 5P85T2.
    There is photo & video evidence that 589, 1537 and 93 RGT got 5P85S2 on MAZ basis.
    Especially the turn to use 5P85S2 at Moscow (93rd) is supprisingly to me.
    But what could we expect for the three Regiments in 2014?
    Will it be the 5P90 chassis or the 51P6A?
    As far as I know the next two RGT will be the 500th and 1489 near St.Petersburg.
    Thanks
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16005
    Points : 16662
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  GarryB on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:28 pm

    Do we have any news of Russia or any export customers actually buying 9M96 for Favorit or Triumph units? I think the capability is paper at best, we will see 9M96 on S-350.

    Personally I suspect the ability to load 4 missiles in one tube for an S-300 or S-400 battery to improve self defence is intended for situations where the terrain or enemy forces make such a load out desirable... ie mountains making shots at targets more than 150km away difficult or impossible, or the known threat of large numbers of enemy cruise missile launch platforms including air and naval platforms where more missiles is more useful than the extra range the larger missiles offer.

    I rather suspect the introduction of S-350 will make the use of the smaller missiles in the larger batteries less useful and create a situation where S-400 and S-500 can deal with targets and threats they are ideal to counter while S-350 will take out closer targets more efficiently and cost effectively. The smaller S-350 system hopefully smaller and lighter and more mobile and hopefully cheaper enough to be made in enormous numbers.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    SOC
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 584
    Points : 633
    Join date : 2011-09-13
    Age : 39
    Location : Indianapolis

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  SOC on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:08 pm

    Viktor wrote:S-300 in Crimea


    That should be the S-300PM battery seen on railcars heading out of Krym. Gvardeysk?
    avatar
    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5673
    Points : 6324
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  Viktor on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:36 pm

    rambo54 wrote:gentlemen!
    I have a question regarding the TEL vehicles of S-400 system.
    606, 210 and 183 RGT got two Battalions each with 5P85T2.
    There is photo & video evidence that 589, 1537 and 93 RGT got 5P85S2 on MAZ basis.
    Especially the turn to use 5P85S2 at Moscow (93rd) is supprisingly to me.
    But what could we expect for the three Regiments in 2014?
    Will it be the 5P90 chassis or the 51P6A?
    As far as I know the next two RGT will be the 500th and 1489 near St.Petersburg.
    Thanks

    I think from now on we will see self-propeled S-400 TEL exclusively but which ones, I dont know or care but what I do care is 3 new S-400 regiments that was promised to be delivered during

    2014 making total of 10 until 2015 starts Very Happy
    avatar
    SOC
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 584
    Points : 633
    Join date : 2011-09-13
    Age : 39
    Location : Indianapolis

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  SOC on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:05 am

    Google Earth has new imagery of Gvardeskoye. You can see two S-300PM batteries deployed.
    avatar
    Stealthflanker
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 802
    Points : 886
    Join date : 2009-08-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Indonesia

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  Stealthflanker on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:38 pm

    Hi there SOC.

    Hmmm got a little question, well we know the US may have already possessed S-300 system in Tolicha peak electronic warfare range and use it for exploitation test, did they ever declassified anything regarding the performance of the system ? Would be nice to have "other perspective" About the system.

    avatar
    SOC
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 584
    Points : 633
    Join date : 2011-09-13
    Age : 39
    Location : Indianapolis

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  SOC on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:22 pm

    Stealthflanker wrote:Hi there SOC.

    Hmmm got a little question, well we know the US may have already possessed S-300 system in Tolicha peak electronic warfare range and use it for exploitation test, did they ever declassified anything regarding the performance of the system ? Would be nice to have "other perspective" About the system.


    No. Also, there are S-300P components at a bunch of places. I've found both S-300PT and S-300PS bits and pieces.
    avatar
    Stealthflanker
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 802
    Points : 886
    Join date : 2009-08-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Indonesia

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  Stealthflanker on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:53 pm

    SOC wrote:

    No.  Also, there are S-300P components at a bunch of places.  I've found both S-300PT and S-300PS bits and pieces.

    Thanks for the answer. Well that's unfortunate that they didn't released a thing.

    anyway do you think Carlo kopp (ausairpower.net)'s review on S-300 family exaggerating ? Or his review is representative. I have seen many complaints about his bias and stuff but nonetheless in my view his technical review is very excellent.

    thanks again for your insight.
    avatar
    SOC
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 584
    Points : 633
    Join date : 2011-09-13
    Age : 39
    Location : Indianapolis

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  SOC on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:08 pm

    Stealthflanker wrote:Thanks for the answer. Well that's unfortunate that they didn't released a thing.

    anyway do you think Carlo kopp (ausairpower.net)'s review on S-300 family exaggerating ? Or his review is representative. I have seen many complaints about his bias and stuff but nonetheless in my view his technical review is very excellent.

    thanks again for your insight.

    He's no more or less biased than anyone else writing about what they think is best for their own nation's military. Hell, my answer is probably biased because I've worked with him and the APA guys for years. But I can tell you this. He's got a PhD in electrical engineering and is one of the people who can legitimately figure out radar characteristics by looking at the radar array and some of the components. Some of the other APA guys are former test pilots and RAAF pilots. Also, he's not exaggerating the S-300.

    Most of people's complaining about APA is because they don't like the F-35. People tend to ignore the fact that these guys aren't pulling things out of their asses and might just actually have the experience and brainpower to accurately analyze things. A while back they released a series of performance specs for the F-35 that were lower than what Lockheed was claiming. Guess what? A few years later, after flight testing the US military magically reduced a lot of the performance requirements, and they ended up pretty much matching the APA numbers.
    avatar
    medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3128
    Points : 3220
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  medo on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:00 pm

    SOC wrote:
    Stealthflanker wrote:Thanks for the answer. Well that's unfortunate that they didn't released a thing.

    anyway do you think Carlo kopp (ausairpower.net)'s review on S-300 family exaggerating ? Or his review is representative. I have seen many complaints about his bias and stuff but nonetheless in my view his technical review is very excellent.

    thanks again for your insight.

    He's no more or less biased than anyone else writing about what they think is best for their own nation's military.  Hell, my answer is probably biased because I've worked with him and the APA guys for years.  But I can tell you this.  He's got a PhD in electrical engineering and is one of the people who can legitimately figure out radar characteristics by looking at the radar array and some of the components.  Some of the other APA guys are former test pilots and RAAF pilots.  Also, he's not exaggerating the S-300.

    Most of people's complaining about APA is because they don't like the F-35.  People tend to ignore the fact that these guys aren't pulling things out of their asses and might just actually have the experience and brainpower to accurately analyze things.  A while back they released a series of performance specs for the F-35 that were lower than what Lockheed was claiming.  Guess what?  A few years later, after flight testing the US military magically reduced a lot of the performance requirements, and they ended up pretty much matching the APA numbers.

    So we could take APA (Kopp) articles about Russian SAMsa and IADS as credible source. They bring a lot of interesting informations, specially radars.
    avatar
    Zivo
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1498
    Points : 1532
    Join date : 2012-04-13
    Location : U.S.A.

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  Zivo on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:34 pm

    Realistic assessment? Yes? No? Maybe?  Laughing 

    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16005
    Points : 16662
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  GarryB on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:53 am

    Hmmm... so US drones use network support but SAMs operate alone.

    The First SAM destroyed in the video... even assuming it could not detect the UCAVs would certainly have destroyed the munition fired to destroy it... likely rapidly followed by two further missiles to defeat the UCAVs.

    All that datalink traffic with all those drones and F-35s would alert the IADS of the enemy... but of course the funniest bit was the lasers shooting down the S-400s... because really those missiles would not be wasted on those drones at such close range and something like Pantsir-SM would be used out to 40km or so. If those lasers could damage the radar antenna of S-400 to 40km I would be very impressed but the vast majority of S-400s launched at those drone would be over much greater ranges with lofted missile flight trajectories so the missiles will be coming down not flying up so the positioning of the lasers is poor.

    Having said that a ground based laser performing a similar ground defence role can be much more powerful and be linked in to the local power grid and get these drones well before they get within range to do the same...

    There are a few minor things you can do to things to make them much more laser resistant too...

    At the end of the day... this is about the US military and an attempt to make them think a stealthy UCAV drone might be more cost effective than an F-35.

    this is a question the Russian AF will have to make as well... but at the end of the day drones seem to be fairly straight forward to hijack... and also very predictable which makes them expensive liabilities till things improve.

    A stealthy UCAV is not going to be cheap no matter what cost cutting measures you take.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5673
    Points : 6324
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  Viktor on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:02 pm

    Nice video - Russian PVO troops are getting lots of practice

    avatar
    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5673
    Points : 6324
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  Viktor on Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:47 pm

    S-300 for everyone !!!  Very Happy 

    Putin calls for air defense systems to increase production for export

    This is an area where Russia absolutely rules and should exploit it to the fullest
    avatar
    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5673
    Points : 6324
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  Viktor on Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:13 pm

    Another S-400 regiment is put on alert near Moscow  thumbsup 

    Anti-aircraft missile system S-400 began to guard the sky over Moscow
    avatar
    medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3128
    Points : 3220
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  medo on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:18 pm

    Viktor wrote:S-300 for everyone !!!  Very Happy 

    Putin calls for air defense systems to increase production for export

    This is an area where Russia absolutely rules and should exploit it to the fullest

    And for domestic units.
    avatar
    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5673
    Points : 6324
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  Viktor on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:31 pm

    medo wrote:And for domestic units.

    S-500/400/350/300V4, BUK-M3/M2/, Tor-M2U, Pancir-S1/SM, Morfei, Verba etc  Very Happy 
    avatar
    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5673
    Points : 6324
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  Viktor on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:58 pm

    Nice S-400 pic
    avatar
    macedonian
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1085
    Points : 1120
    Join date : 2013-04-29
    Location : Skopje, Macedonia - Скопје, Македонија

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  macedonian on Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:50 pm

    Viktor wrote:
    Nice S-400 pic
    [/quote]


    Nice pic indeed.
    I already told you Viktor, you are the bearer of good news here...
    Love your posts!
     cheers russia
    avatar
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 10008
    Points : 10498
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  George1 on Thu May 01, 2014 10:42 am

    Combat units operating S-400 air defense systems have come on duty in Moscow Region

    Combat units of Zvenigorod air defense regiment operating S-400 Triumph air defense systems have come on duty after completion of training at the Tembr-M simulator. The units are responsible for assuring the air defense of Moscow, ITAR-TASS reports with reference to the official representative of the Aerospace Defense Forces, Colonel Alexey Zolotukhin.

    "The combat units of Zvenigorod air defense regiment of the Aerospace Defense Forces took delivery of S-400 Triumph and Pantsir S-1 air defense systems this March. The personnel have successfully passed the training required for operating S-400 systems. The training was being carried out at the Russia’s only training regiment of Air Defense Forces. They have already carried out range practice at Kapustin Yar firing range and come on duty to provide air defense of Moscow and the central industrial district", - Zolotukhin said.

    "The training regiment of Air Defense Forces based in Moscow Region is responsible for personnel training of air defense regiments operating S-300 and S-400. The training was being carried out under conditions of complicated air situation using real aircraft and Tembr-M simulators", - Zolotukhin added.

    Tembr-M is a unique simulator because it allows simulating any combat environment in real-time mode. Using a digital map of Moscow Region the specialists of the training regiment are able to prepare combat units for operation of S-300 and S-400 systems in any region of the world.

    "Last year we have held over 30 exams at the training regiment’s facilities. The regiment’s specialists have trained over 70 combat units of command posts of the air defense regiments. Over 1000 service members of Aerospace Defense Forces have passed the training", - the Colonel added.
    avatar
    Stealthflanker
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 802
    Points : 886
    Join date : 2009-08-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Indonesia

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  Stealthflanker on Tue May 13, 2014 7:38 pm



    this is cool.

    Hmm 30N6 or 92N6 i wonder ?
    avatar
    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5673
    Points : 6324
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  Viktor on Fri May 30, 2014 12:52 pm

    LOL  thumbsup 


    New S-400 Triumph air defense systems to be delivered to Kamchatka by end of 2014
    avatar
    AbsoluteZero
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Posts : 81
    Points : 105
    Join date : 2011-01-29
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  AbsoluteZero on Sat May 31, 2014 4:06 pm

    What is the new standard truck platform for newer air defense systems like S-400/S-500? is it BAZ? cause MAZ is a Belarussian company, and I think its better if the Russian military stick to domestic products
    avatar
    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5673
    Points : 6324
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  Viktor on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:28 pm

    With english subtitles - S-300V



    And Austin, Sujoy - the S-300V was meant to fight aero-ballistic targets from day one - I remember one of you asked that question a while ago (just cant remember who) Very Happy

    Sponsored content

    Re: S-300/400/500 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #1

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue May 23, 2017 9:09 am