Full interview http://www.vedomosti.ru/library/news/1731358/rakety_izgotovleny_zhdem_vyhoda_v_more_vladislav_menschikov?full#cut
Vladislav Menshchikov: "Missiles are made, waiting for release into the sea"
In the "Almaz-Antee" know what techniques should be developed to neutralize any threat, said, "Vedomosti" Group CEO Vladislav Menshchikov
Concern PVO "Almaz-Antei" 10 years ago became the first major vertically integrated structure in the defense industry, bringing together designers and manufacturers of air and missile defense. Group CEO Vladislav Menshchikov in an interview to "Vedomosti" told how the development of new air defense system, the cost of new construction works, and what the potential defense of Iran, as well as whether it makes sense to create weapons based on new physical principles.
- It has been 10 years since the establishment of Concern PVO "Almaz-Antei." How much over the years managed to maintain and develop scientific and industrial potential concern, what the problem was solved, but it was not possible?
- At the time of group companies that have entered into it, are in dire financial and economic situation, and to withdraw them from bankruptcy and return the assets that are derived from plants, it took much time and effort, serious and hard work. Concern has been one of the oldest, and largest in the country, integrated structures. We were the first at the corporate level, faced with the need to solve the whole bunch of problems faced by the company 10 years ago, the Russian military-industrial complex. Then our main achievement was the rescue of key industry companies from bankruptcy. If the decision to create a group was taken just a few weeks later, a number of companies, without which the defense industry, defense would be unable to perform its tasks, would have been lost. For example, the plant "Vanguard" or the Obukhov plant.
Later, thanks to export orders, and in recent years and due to the rapidly growing state defense order has begun development of the sector and its modernization. We are proud that the industry is maintained and developed. Of course, the concern was the formation of certain errors and failures. But given the fact that we were the first, it is inevitable. Those who came after us, might have been using our expertise. As for the unsolved problems, I would point out the need for further rejuvenation of staff, reducing its average age, as well as improving productivity and increasing overall production volume. If you compare our gross and especially the relative performance with the best companies in the world - namely, to such a comparison should be sought - that we still have a lot of work.
- What kind of air defense and theater missile defense is now creating the concern?
- We are actively analyzing the foreign work on the creation of an aerospace attack. Concern, the Ministry of Defense and other federal agencies have sufficient information about the foreign samples of weapons that are already in operation or will come into service in the near future. Based on the evaluation of these means of attack formed requirements and the means of defense. We have an understanding of how to neutralize these threats, what equipment we need to develop. A number of research and OKRovskih work has already been opened, a number of plans for the opening. More details to talk about it for obvious reasons is impossible.
- One of these advanced systems, the C-500, will be entirely new or developing existing systems?
- In "pyatisotke" will be used principally new elements, though at its creation will be used and existing technical solutions. The system is created on the basis of a certain task, and with this in mind, selected the appropriate solutions. Of course, there will be new missiles and new radars. The system perspective and a good new features.
- And at what point are working to establish a system of "polyment-redoubt" for the Russian Navy?
- At the stage of preliminary tests. But to their full completion, we need the support of the complex into the sea. This year, according to all estimates, the test must be completed. The missiles are manufactured, they are there, waiting for release into the sea.
- How do you evaluate the activities of the group in the area of training? Do we need this kind of government support?
- No government involvement in efforts to consolidate the personnel in the defense industry fundamentally impossible to solve this problem. Today, when the labor market there are plenty of temptations to involve young people in the industry is very difficult. Tools for this task can be very diverse. One could, for example, to resolve the issue with military duty for people who want to work in the defense industry, inviting them to the appropriate version of the alternative service. Or send the guys in those troops, where they will work with them to the familiar technique of production which they themselves operate, or a college. Of course, need more social support. At the level of concern we have about six years there is a practice that we have every year according to certain criteria, select 150 specialists and issue them special scholarships. A good form of support - it grants the President, we have about 200 young workers group received these scholarships.
- How to change the basic economic and financial performance of the group?
- In 2010, the revenue of enterprises belonging to the group was 107.5 billion rubles., On the basis of 2011 - 110.9 billion in profits from sales of the main production grew by 35.8% in the overall profitability of sales in 8.63%. Revenue management company group decreased by 10.7 billion to 16.5 billion rubles. This is due to the fact that the shipment of a large consignment of property to one of the foreign customers has been moved from the end of December 2011 on the I quarter of 2012, but we are very liable to become the current year, during which sales volume can increase three-fold.
- What kind of investments are planned in the coming years in the modernization and upgrade of production? What is the ratio of equity group, credit and budget in the various programs?
- We have three major investment projects - the construction of two new plants in Kirov and Nizhny Novgorod, and our regional North-West Center in St. Petersburg on the basis of the Obukhov factory. The total cost for the construction of new factories is estimated at 41 billion rubles., 15 billion of them - cost money. The cost of the project to create the Northwest Regional Center - 15 billion rubles. Center is created entirely by our own funds and borrowed our credit. The basic idea of the project - the concentration of all enterprises in St. Petersburg on the same site Obukhov factory. The project is in an advanced stage of implementation, launched the first phase, relocation is one of the plants. The project is very interesting and promising.
- Why do we need new capacity, would not have enough current?
- First, the state armaments program plans exceed existing power group, and secondly, on the old production equipment to produce a new generation of technology is impossible.
- A number of old samples of air defense equipment, such as S-125, an active modernized enterprises of Belarus and Ukraine. What is the position of concern on this issue, as far as promising the market?
- Yes, these products, such as "Pechora-2T" Belarusian companies, "Tetrahedron", have their own niche in the market. We are modernizing "Pechora" not actively engaged, in our country at this company works, "Defense Systems". Private enterprise group engaged in this work as subcontractors. We had a version of - "Pechora-2A" - and even had a contract with a foreign customer. But our experts did not have much enthusiasm for the modernization of "Pechora" and eventually we went to this segment. We are more interested in working on radar systems or the modernization of "Wasps", "Square", "Thor" and several other public facilities. In general, the situation is so that Belarusians and Ukrainians offer a solution, at a cost of less expensive, and we - a cardinal from the technical side. In terms of quality and performance of our received proposals for modernization are more effective.
- One gets the feeling that the group remains in the nomenclature of the parallel development of similar systems, inherited from the Soviet practice: the S-400 and C-300V4, "Buk-M3" and "Hero," "Tor-M2" and "Morpheus."
- I would not say that this parallelism. Each set designed for specific tasks and has a particular consumer. They are not perfect analogues, and they have a different purpose, so that the MoD and ordered all of these systems. It is only from the standpoint of the layman the impression that there is duplication.
- How do you assess the state of the plant "Avangard" and brain CB industries - GSKB (Head System Design Bureau)? The media had a number of publications, referred to the complete collapse of these enterprises.
- "Vanguard" - one of the plants on which at the time the group has initiated bankruptcy proceedings. The workshops ran down the roof, there were puddles on the floor, machines were dismantled. In the early 2000s. the company produced five or six rockets per year. But the export contracts have helped to save the plant, now the company is not just active, and reaches the level of maximum load. This plant will be maintained even after the launch of the company in Kirov. The situation in GSKB stable, there is the main goal - integration and synthesis of various schools, it is very trivial, very painful process, but the only way you can stimulate the development of technical solutions to unify and optimize the loading of all developers.
- Is there any concern for the positive effect of creating Command Aerospace Defense?
- The final assessment is too early to give. We believe that the creation of such a unified command is justified and appropriate, but it happened recently, so you have to wait a bit.
- Whether the promising development of air defense systems based on new physical principles? U.S., for example, recently closed its program to create a missile defense systems with the use of air-based laser.
- Fully these works are not covered. The Americans did not achieve the expected results, but the technological groundwork and received technical solutions used in other studies. We have also conducted similar studies, and we believe this work quite promising.