Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #2

KomissarBojanchev

Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #2

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Fri May 25, 2018 8:58 am

Could be possible they have ammo about which there is no information on the internet available... yeah.. scary I know...

It could also be possible that the US has jammers that disable the S-400 completely, but possible isnt good enough.
    The-thing-next-door

Post  The-thing-next-door on Fri May 25, 2018 11:05 am

GarryB wrote:
    Then you should tell Fofanov and khlopotov to stick it too...

If they are polite I will suggest they use lubricant...

If they are ukropi I would suggest they use the Griffel-1 sabot included lol!

GarryB wrote:
    Then why does the DU 1800m/s svinets-2 APSFDS have a max penetration of 650mm(according to Fofanov) vs the lighter and slower(1500m/s) tungsten
    DM53 which penetrates 700mm?

If someone says 50 plus 50 equals 100 and then says 40 plus 40 equals 100, do you then complain that 50 isn't good enough to get to 100?

Where did he get his numbers from... check the sources...

100% agreed you can never trust a ukrop espetially on matters related to the Russian army.

And wait a minute isn't the dm53 supposed to penetrate 800mm of armor and the american thing 780?

Also we must remember that Russia tests its rounds against harder armor and requires an 80% chance of pentration as opposed to the 50% required by nato.

Except that soviet ammo is still used in the T-90A, T-72B3, T-80BVM and sprut SD. Ive tried searching for any post soviet APSFDS more powerful than the svinets 2 but could only find vacuum 1 which will only be used in the T-14.

There is always Svinets 1 which has a DU penetrator. And I would take fofanovs data with a grain of salt you just cannot trust a ukrop.
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Sat May 26, 2018 12:25 am

KomissarBojanchev wrote:

Yet you said before that its physically impossible to make a projectile with chemical propellant go over 2000m/s...

AFAIK Electrothermal guns can increase velocities well beyond 2kms - 3kms was already achieved.  This paper says something about limit of 10 km/s though ...but its only a paper Smile))

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f814/05c8b9354ed79ea63dd5fee342dac07f36dd.pdf

Electrothermal guns actually use chemical propellants. The difference is in the way propellant is ignited and burned. In principle this is done by  plasma...
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Sun May 27, 2018 4:41 am

Also we must remember that Russia tests its rounds against harder armor and requires an 80% chance of pentration as opposed to the 50% required by nato.

Ypu have a source for that? This is big if proven.
    The-thing-next-door

Post  The-thing-next-door on Sun May 27, 2018 9:08 am

KomissarBojanchev wrote:

Ypu have a source for that? This is big if proven.

No I don't but it comes up in multiple sources about ammunition testing.

I never remember where I read something.

Maybe you should ask one of the other members. I seem to remember Mindstorm making referance to it.
    George1

Post  George1 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:50 pm

Russia’s latest Kurganets-25 infantry fighting vehicles to arrive for troops in 2019

Work is currently underway to finalize and prepare the infantry fighting vehicle prototypes for trials

MOSCOW, July 4. /TASS/. The first infantry fighting vehicles based on the Kurganets standardized armored platform will arrive for troops for trials in 2019, Kurganmashzavod defense manufacturer said in an annual report on Wednesday.

Work is currently underway to finalize and prepare the infantry fighting vehicle prototypes "for comprehensive trials preceding the acceptance of this armor for service," the report says.

According to the document, "Kurganmashzavod has concluded state contracts for the delivery of experimental batches of these vehicles in 2019-2021."

The Kurganets-25 is a standardized tracked platform designed as the basis for developing an infantry fighting vehicle, an armored assault vehicle for the Airborne Force, an armored personnel carrier and a self-propelled artillery system with a 125mm gun. The defense manufacturer has been developing the combat platform on order from Russia’s Defense Ministry since 2012.

The Kurganets infantry fighting vehicle has the engine compartment in its front part while the crew and the assault force are located in a separate armored capsule isolated from the armament and munitions.

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/1011982
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:11 am

Holy shit, a good news for a change thumbsup

Given the recent trend I pretty much expected to read that Kurganets and/or Boomerang were cancelled in favor of upgraded BMP-1...
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible on Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:33 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    Holy shit, a good news for a change thumbsup

Given the recent trend I pretty much expected to read that Kurganets and/or Boomerang were cancelled in favor of upgraded BMP-1...

Well, besides maybe massive ships, what was exactly bad news?

Russian mil knew they won't be able to build hundreds/thousands in short time span to replace existing stocks, so upgrading existing stocks to be able to at least fight modern conflict mixed with procurement of acceptable numbers of armored vehicles, is fine. Armata mixed with purchases of T-90MS, T-80BVM and T-72B3/4, BMP-1/2 upgrades along with Kurganets and BTR upgrades with Boomerang.

Then in about 10 - 20 years, they will start to phase out the T-90MS, etc as they replace it with further procurements. It is a long term thing. This goes with Su-57 too. Small orders, a few here and there, testings and what not, then eventually all jets get replaced with the airframe and movement to further iterations. They did this for a while now - see Su-35. That was ordered in small batches then a decade later, large orders. No one figured Su-35S would actually enter Russian airforce service.

I rather like this approach. Affordable, gives time to assess the hardware and make sure it works as intended and is exactly what they need.

Armata, Kurganets and Boomerang, along with Su-57 are exactly those that they need. The other hardware is all in question.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:39 am

Posts regarding the Armata IFV have been moved to the sticky Armata thread... they are at the bottom of page 34, post 849 or so...

GarryB
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:24 am

PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:10 pm

miketheterrible wrote:

This is amazaballs awesome but it's also T-15 not Kurganets.

I do love how they look bundled together in large numbers, more please thumbsup
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza on Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:21 am

Camo burka? Surely not, just shopped? Laughing
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:38 am

I remember US (fanboi) criticism of face veils the Soviets used instead of face paint... but personally I never really understood the criticism... if it is just as effective as covering up white skin... does not take as long to apply, and is not hard to apply properly, and comes off much faster too.

I think most of the criticism stemmed from the fact that they thought it was used because they could not afford face paint, but soldiers have been using burnt cork and mud for centuries...

Sometimes the westerners are blinded by the way things are done in the west and cannot see that their might be a simpler easier cheaper way of doing things, so they will see it as backwards... I personally see it as superior.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:21 pm