Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #2

Militarov

Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #2

Post  Militarov on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:35 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    TheArmenian wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:Oui I hope that was crew error to miss at such range while taking so long to aim.

What miss?
    All I see in that 3 second clip is the Boomerang firing a Kornet ATGM. Nothing more nothing less.

I assume it was trying to hit that Gun next to it?. The gray one you can see in the clip.

Perhaps I am wrong.

You are for sure Smile That gun seems to be there as some sort of monument
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:13 am

Is there any info if the Kurganets will mount the 45mm autocannon? Also why doesnt the proposed 57mm turret have ATGM mountings?

And finally what was the reason to change the designation to both the kurganets and boomerang families to 'K'? Why not just continue the designations BTR(BK(колесах)TR for wheeled boomerang) and BMP?
    The new designations are awefully ambiguous and noncontinuous. I hope Russia isnt going down the US path where every weapon is named M(insert random number here).

ult

Post  ult on Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:45 am

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    TheArmenian wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:Oui I hope that was crew error to miss at such range while taking so long to aim.

What miss?
    All I see in that 3 second clip is the Boomerang firing a Kornet ATGM. Nothing more nothing less.

I assume it was trying to hit that Gun next to it?. The gray one you can see in the clip.

Perhaps I am wrong.

I haven't laughed that hard in a week. How could anyone think of that? Laughing
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:50 am

Perhaps I am wrong.

That gun is about 30 degrees off the point of aim... if it was trying to hit that (BTW a 10km range missile would be a totally inappropriate weapon to use against such a target at such a short range) it would have at least be pointed at it.

The Kornet is supersonic... only an R-73 with vectored thrust could turn 30 degrees on launch and hit such a target.

Russia’s K-17 Bumerang armored personnel carrier (APC) will be on a par with wheeled infantry fighting vehicles (IFVs) in terms of firepower, Russian Army Commander-in-Chief Colonel-General Oleg Salyukov said in an interview with RIA Novosti news agency.

They will have the same turret, so that is a given.

Is there any info if the Kurganets will mount the 45mm autocannon? Also why doesnt the proposed 57mm turret have ATGM mountings?

AFAIK the 45mm gun lost so wont be introduced into service.

Also AFAIK the 57mm gun turrets seen so far are prototypes... the final turrets likely will have ATGMs and also probably automatic grenade launchers of 30mm, 40mm, or 57mm calibre.

And finally what was the reason to change the designation to both the kurganets and boomerang families to 'K'? Why not just continue the designations BTR(BK(колесах)TR for wheeled boomerang) and BMP?

AFAIK the K means not operational... just like K-77 for the R-77 before it entered service.

The new designations are awefully ambiguous and noncontinuous. I hope Russia isnt going down the US path where every weapon is named M(insert random number here).

Based on the Armata designation of T-14 and T-15, I would suspect BMP-14 and BMP-15 for Kurganets and BTR-14 and BTR-15 for Boomerang... which would mean BRDM-14 and BRDM-15 for Typhoon.

The alternative is another letter for medium tracked and medium wheeled vehicles and light wheeled vehicles.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:46 am

Why can't armata MBT be named T-97, KURGANETS IFV be named BMP-4 and bumerang be named BTR-100(for kord equipped AFV, BTR=101 for 30mm equipped, BTR-103 for 57mm equiped BTR)?
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:50 am

I really hope grenade launchers on the kurganets will be next gen 40-57mm AGLs. There is no reason for a next gen AFV to have AGLs designed in the 70s. Please give confirmation for the 40mm balkan AGL or 57mm syste to be installed on all 5th gen BTR and IFV  families.
    Militarov

Post  Militarov on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:50 pm

KomissarBojanchev wrote:I really hope grenade launchers on the kurganets will be next gen 40-57mm AGLs. There is no reason for a next gen AFV to have AGLs designed in the 70s. Please give confirmation for the 40mm balkan AGL or 57mm syste to be installed on all 5th gen BTR and IFV  families.

We cant know that at this point. What we do know is this:

"The 6G27 Balkan AGL will be brought into service with Russia's armed forces this year. The military is set to receive the tripod-mounted modification of the weapon. TekhMash Concern is also integrating the Balkan AGL with the MBDU remote controlled weapon station [RCWS] developed by the Kalashnikov Group. The military is planning to install the MBDU unmanned turret on light and medium armoured vehicles, as well as on fast attack craft [FAC]," Rusakov told IHS Jane's at the Army 2016 exhibition."
    robognus

Post  robognus on Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:58 pm

The video this GIF is slowed down two times, the GIF I did.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:34 am

Why can't armata MBT be named T-97, KURGANETS IFV be named BMP-4 and bumerang be named BTR-100(for kord equipped AFV, BTR=101 for 30mm equipped, BTR-103 for 57mm equiped BTR)?

Because BMP means IFV, BTR means light troop transport. T means tank based vehicle.

Who knows what designation system they have devised...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian on Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:29 am

KURGANETS-25

marcellogo

Post  marcellogo on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:19 am

TheArmenian wrote:KURGANETS-25

Certainly it has a totally different "feeling" when compared to precedent BMP/BDM.
    As they looked low and agile but somewhat too cramped this look menacing, well protected and comfortable but also very bulky.

BliTTzZ

Post  BliTTzZ on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:22 pm

marcellogo wrote:Certainly it has a totally different "feeling" when compared to precedent BMP/BDM.
    As they looked low and agile but somewhat too cramped this look menacing, well protected and comfortable but also very bulky.
    Well, these vehicles are for sure the next generation. But keep in mind that replacement program doesn't happen in an instant, also older upgraded vehicles I'm pretty sure can be almost on par with the new ones. New vehicles just a lot more effective in local low intensity wars against inferior enemies. But in a case of bigger scale conflict large numbers of older vehicles can quickly become operational after conservation.
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian on Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:11 am

Kurganetz live fire

Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:42 pm

Kurganetz workshop includes one unit mounting what appears to be a turret from a BMD-4?

0nillie0

Post  0nillie0 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:12 pm

Big_Gazza wrote:Kurganetz workshop includes one unit mounting what appears to be a turret from a BMD-4?

This looks to me like a BMP-3 with some modifications. Turret looks like that of a BMD-4, but possibly this particular vehicle has its engine mounted at the front.

Probably a test platform. Nothing to do with Kurganets tho.
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:16 pm

Big_Gazza wrote:Kurganetz workshop includes one unit mounting what appears to be a turret from a BMD-4?

I can't believe there were idiots a couple of years ago on this board claiming that the 100/30 combo would disappear  Rolling Eyes , not surprisingly they were the same people claiming the 45mm gun was definitively chosen over the 57mm gun Embarassed , and basically claimed that the 45mm gun was the only armament that would be chosen for Kurganets-25 class..... Embarassed lol1 Razz
    x_54_u43

Post  x_54_u43 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:16 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:

I can't believe there were idiots a couple of years ago on this board claiming that the 100/30 combo would disappear  Rolling Eyes , not surprisingly they were the same people claiming the 45mm gun was definitively chosen over the 57mm gun Embarassed , and basically claimed that the 45mm gun was the only armament that would be chosen for Kurganets-25 class..... Embarassed lol1 Razz

Don't let the fact that K-25 vehicles have seven roadwheels while the vehicle in the photo has six.

This might just be a modified previous existing vehicle, or it might be the air-drop version of K-25, we'll see in due time.
    kvs

Post  kvs on Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:19 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:

It is clear that modularity is being implemented in the design and assembly process as was being widely discussed during the 1990s. They can stick
    any number of turrets with different guns and ammunition handling facilities into the Kurganetz.

A 152 mm gun turret assembly has most likely been designed for the T-14.
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:03 pm

x_54_u43 wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:

Don't let the fact that K-25 vehicles have seven roadwheels while the vehicle in the photo has six.

This might just be a modified previous existing vehicle, or it might be the air-drop version of K-25, we'll see in due time.

Your obviously not aware of the debate that we had a couple years back:

1.) The person claimed that the 45mm would defeat the 57mm, he made this claim due to the information that he got from his "inside sources", fast forward 2 years and we've seen nothing about the 45mm autoncannon, but plenty of the 57mm.

2.) The person implied that we wouldn't see anything other than 45mm, he basically implied there weren't going to be any other weapon, supposedly the 45mm was supposed to fill every role, and even the mortar carrier role....which obviously was preposterous.

3.) Yes, it's obvious that it isn't K-25, but it doesn't change the claim that I made a couple a years ago. Not RU MOD, nor Kurganmash ever made the claim that the 100/30 would stop being produced, which was my original claim. What we see is previous BMP series being upgrade with K-25 ERA applique, and yet the 100/30 combo has lasted the test of time, and would likely be carried in to the next series.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:28 pm

Even if the Russian military decided to drop the 100/30 combo from all their new vehicles the BMP-3 and the BMD-3 still carry both weapons.

The 100/30 evolved from the BMP-1 and BMP-2 and their 73/30 gun combination between the two vehicles that were found to be complimentary rather than one replacing the other as expected.

Of course the 100mm rifled gun is a huge step forward in performance over the 73mm, but the 30mm hasn't evolved as quickly as the enemy armour it was supposed to deal with has.

The obvious replacement for the 30mm therefore is the new 57mm gun, but its potential for HE power means it can also practically replace the 100mm too.

Obviously a 100mm shell will carry more HE than any 57mm shell, so there will be some loss in performance in terms of HE power but as each unit will also be supported by tanks with 125mm guns able to fire HE rounds and also artillery able to offer 120mm and 152mm calibre guns and also rockets of various calibres I don't think that will be a huge problem.

In terms of the transition from 30mm to 57mm there will be a large step up in effective range and armour penetration performance and effect on target that will reduce the amount of work the organic tank units will have to perform... heavy enemy IFVs will no longer need to be engaged with 100mm missiles or 125mm guns...

This vehicle could be a new upgraded export model, or a test example.

Once the 57mm calibre is fully ready for service I think the 100/30 combination will become redundant.

In fact I think a good solution would be to replace the 100mm with a 120mm gun/mortar system... eliminating a calibre from the inventory and stores without reducing performance and capability... the 120mm gun/mortar can fire rounds to almost double the range and has more powerful HE rounds and also can use 120mm and 122mm guided rounds.

I would still use the 30mm for a while anyway... but even in air defence I think guided 57mm shells have more promise than just firing thousands of 30mm shells and hoping for a hit.

AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:40 pm

GarryB wrote:Even if the Russian military decided to drop the 100/30 combo from all their new vehicles the BMP-3 and the BMD-3 still carry both weapons.

The 100/30 evolved from the BMP-1 and BMP-2 and their 73/30 gun combination between the two vehicles that were found to be complimentary rather than one replacing the other as expected.

Of course the 100mm rifled gun is a huge step forward in performance over the 73mm, but the 30mm hasn't evolved as quickly as the enemy armour it was supposed to deal with has.

The obvious replacement for the 30mm therefore is the new 57mm gun, but its potential for HE power means it can also practically replace the 100mm too.

Obviously a 100mm shell will carry more HE than any 57mm shell, so there will be some loss in performance in terms of HE power but as each unit will also be supported by tanks with 125mm guns able to fire HE rounds and also artillery able to offer 120mm and 152mm calibre guns and also rockets of various calibres I don't think that will be a huge problem.

In terms of the transition from 30mm to 57mm there will be a large step up in effective range and armour penetration performance and effect on target that will reduce the amount of work the organic tank units will have to perform... heavy enemy IFVs will no longer need to be engaged with 100mm missiles or 125mm guns...

Once the 57mm calibre is fully ready for service I think the 100/30 combination will become redundant.

In fact I think a good solution would be to replace the 100mm with a 120mm gun/mortar system... eliminating a calibre from the inventory and stores without reducing performance and capability... the 120mm gun/mortar can fire rounds to almost double the range and has more powerful HE rounds and also can use 120mm and 122mm guided rounds.

I would still use the 30mm for a while anyway... but even in air defence I think guided 57mm shells have more promise than just firing thousands of 30mm shells and hoping for a hit.

I still find the 100/30 combo more useful though, you have one 30 for handling enemy personnel and a 100 for enemy armor/fortifications, besides the BMP-3 ain't going anywhere might as well use the ammo, and i wouldn't use an IFV for air defense.

Anyway the issue i am here for is that i wonder why the T-15 isn't amphibious, because i don't see any pump-jets.

UPDATE: Nevemind, i just found out the the T-15 and the Kurganets aren't one and the same. pwnd
    Militarov

Post  Militarov on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:11 pm

AlfaT8 wrote:
    GarryB wrote:Even if the Russian military decided to drop the 100/30 combo from all their new vehicles the BMP-3 and the BMD-3 still carry both weapons.

I still find the 100/30 combo more useful though, you have one 30 for handling enemy personnel and a 100 for enemy armor/fortifications, besides the BMP-3 ain't going anywhere might as well use the ammo, and i wouldn't use an IFV for air defense.

Anyway the issue i am here for is that i wonder why the T-15 isn't amphibious, because i don't see any pump-jets.

UPDATE: Nevemind, i just found out the the T-15 and the Kurganets aren't one and the same. pwnd

Mby because T-15 has 40+ tons Very Happy
    Isos

Post  Isos on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Mby because T-15 has 40+ tons Very Happy

It's almost like a russian MBT, does it have the same protection ? Can it survive direct NATO 120 mm frontal hit ?

Kurganets replace BMPs but T-15 is an all new class, how will they organize their tactics now that they have 3 types of vehicle instead of just BMPs and T-90 ??
    franco

Post  franco on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:43 pm

IMO the T-15 will replace BMP's in Tank brigades & regiments.
    Benya

Post  Benya on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:47 pm

Isos wrote:

It's almost like a russian MBT, does it have the same protection ? Can it survive direct NATO 120 mm frontal hit ?

Compared to a regular IFV, it has insane level of protection, and that quite low-angled front plate could protect against pretty much anything from 30 to 100mms.

Isos wrote:

Kurganets replace BMPs but T-15 is an all new class, how will they organize their tactics now that they have 3 types of vehicle instead of just BMPs and T-90 ??

Actually, T-15 will replace BMPs in future Armata platform based tank divisions/brigades, while Kurganets will be organized into motor rifle brigades/divisions that are currently using current BMP-2s or BMP-3s (some brigades in the Eastern Military District are using BMP-1s too).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:49 am