Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Nothing to get too excited about

BKP
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Nothing to get too excited about

Post  BKP on Sat May 02, 2015 6:21 pm

Hi,

Almost none of you will be familiar with me. But, I was a longtime lurker (mostly) at mp.net. So, I do have some familiarity with several of you.

I did actually did do some posting there. First, under a name I can no longer remember; I was banned. I came back later under the name "That One Guy." I saw an inevitable second ban coming my way, and headed it off at the pass by posting a long screed of insults directed at several the mods and some key trolls. Of course, I was promptly banned. Then, I simply lurked for some years, mostly for the Russian photos thread, and later for the Ukraine/Crimea thread.

I figured it was useless for me to start posting again and refrained for a long time. However, I did get drawn in toward the end, and started posting under the name "Terrible Tim." I had something like 90-100 posts under me when mp.net shuttered.

Anyhow, I'm a born and raised US citizen. However, my mother is an ethnic Russian. This is probably why I've always been more inclined to look behind the surface in regard to Russia than most Americans. I have found there there are quite a lot of things I like about Russia. It's not perfect, but then what is? No country that has ever had the word "empire" appended to its name (or should, like the US) earned that distinction by being nice guys 24/7.

Anyhow, the new screen name I've chosen is BKP, for "Bare Knuckle Polemicist." To an extent, that sort of describes my style. I enjoy discussion, and I like debate, especially when it stays respectful. But, I won't long suffer one-sided insults and abuse without firing back if the mods don't step in. This is how mods betray bias and select trolls are coddled. I have always admired the discipline of those who could take it, but I just don't have that. And, If I get banned, then so be it.

I saw several of you guys go down on mp.net. Many of you are excellent and knowledgeable posters. It often seemed to me that you were made to fight by Marquis of Queensbury rules with one hand behind your back while certain pet trolls could kick, bite, scratch, pull hair and headbutt [linedoggie, c.puffs, XJ220 (or whatever), asheren, etc. etc. etc. -- to many to list or remember].

Anyhow, this has been a long intro and I'm sorry for that. Thanks for your patience if you got this far.

macedonian
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Nothing to get too excited about

Post  macedonian on Sat May 02, 2015 6:29 pm

Oh Terrible Tim... welcome

Glad to have you here!

Godric
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  Godric on Sat May 02, 2015 6:35 pm

welcome BKP russia

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Sat May 02, 2015 6:39 pm

BKP wrote:Hi,

Almost none of you will be familiar with me. But, I was a longtime lurker (mostly) at mp.net. So, I do have some familiarity with several of you.

I did actually did do some posting there. First, under a name I can no longer remember; I was banned. I came back later under the name "That One Guy." I saw an inevitable second ban coming my way, and headed it off at the pass by posting a long screed of insults directed at several the mods and some key trolls. Of course, I was promptly banned. Then, I simply lurked for some years, mostly for the Russian photos thread, and later for the Ukraine/Crimea thread.

I figured it was useless for me to start posting again and refrained for a long time. However, I did get drawn in toward the end, and started posting under the name "Terrible Tim." I had something like 90-100 posts under me when mp.net shuttered.

Anyhow, I'm a born and raised US citizen. However, my mother is an ethnic Russian. This is probably why I've always been more inclined to look behind the surface in regard to Russia than most Americans. I have found there there are quite a lot of things I like about Russia. It's not perfect, but then what is? No country that has ever had the word "empire" appended to its name (or should, like the US) earned that distinction by being nice guys 24/7.

Anyhow, the new screen name I've chosen is BKP, for "Bare Knuckle Polemicist." To an extent, that sort of describes my style. I enjoy discussion, and I like debate, especially when it stays respectful. But, I won't long suffer one-sided insults and abuse without firing back if the mods don't step in. This is how mods betray bias and select trolls are coddled. I have always admired the discipline of those who could take it, but I just don't have that. And, If I get banned, then so be it.

I saw several of you guys go down on mp.net. Many of you are excellent and knowledgeable posters. It often seemed to me that you were made to fight by Marquis of Queensbury rules with one hand behind your back while certain pet trolls could kick, bite, scratch, pull hair and headbutt [linedoggie, c.puffs, XJ220 (or whatever), asheren, etc. etc. etc. -- to many to list or remember].

Anyhow, this has been a long intro and I'm sorry for that. Thanks for your patience if you got this far.

"That one guy"? Holy f... and you rebooted under TT? Lol as they say, MP.net sows angst and reaps anger.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Sat May 02, 2015 6:39 pm

welcome

kvs
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  kvs on Sat May 02, 2015 6:49 pm

welcome

I followed MP net since around 2006 and many posters I liked were "disappeared". Glad to see you
    here!

BKP
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  BKP on Sat May 02, 2015 8:08 pm

Thank you guys! I appreciate. thumbsup

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Sat May 02, 2015 8:40 pm

BKP wrote:Hi,

welcome

I enjoyed your posts, Terrible Tim, and like you - I was never able to muster the patience required to ignore provocations - I usually reacted and gave it all I had; which led to me being suspended dozens of times; I'd estimate during the later years I spent half the time under suspension; even got a 6 months holiday once.
    Funny they kept me around while others got banned around me; I lasted over 9 years on the forum and only finally got permabanned a few months before the end of mp.net.

Well, anyway, no pet trolls here, everyone is tolerated and there are no favourites here really.

whir
    Major
    Major

Post  whir on Sat May 02, 2015 8:46 pm

welcome

flamming_python wrote:Funny they kept me around while others got banned around me; I only finally got permabanned a few months before the end of mp.net.
    The answer is in your Great Walls of Text.

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Sat May 02, 2015 9:52 pm

whir wrote: welcome

flamming_python wrote:Funny they kept me around while others got banned around me; I only finally got permabanned a few months before the end of mp.net.
    The answer is in your Great Walls of Text.

Didn't know anyone bothered to read those Cool

Alas, they will all disappear when mp.net goes down. Wish I could save some of it.

Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Sat May 02, 2015 11:33 pm

welcome

Cowboy's daughter
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Cowboy's daughter on Sun May 03, 2015 12:00 am

welcome

Welcome! I remember you as Terrible Tim.

BKP
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  BKP on Sun May 03, 2015 12:46 am

flamming_python wrote:
    welcome:

I enjoyed your posts, Terrible Tim, and like you - I was never able to muster the patience required to ignore provocations - I usually reacted and gave it all I had; which led to me being suspended dozens of times; I'd estimate during the later years I spent half the time under suspension; even got a 6 months holiday once.
    Funny they kept me around while others got banned around me; I lasted over 9 years on the forum and only finally got permabanned a few months before the end of mp.net.

Well, anyway, no pet trolls here, everyone is tolerated and there are no favourites here really.

Thanks for that! And, of course, there's no way I wouldn't know you FP. You did indeed achieve amazing longevity there. I rooted for you from behind the curtain. After I realized that you were finally gone, I figured some sort of "night of the long knives" had occurred. lol!

And thanks, again, to other welcomers. Hi Cowboy's Daughter.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sun May 03, 2015 1:20 am

welcome Smile

When you feel like replying to an insult with an insult PM me and we can sort it out hopefully without anyone being banned.

Keep in mind I do have to work and sleep and I live on the other side of the planet to most of you so if you don't get an instant reply don't be surprised... it doesn't mean I am ignoring you.

Normally when I log on there are 60-70 posts to read... it takes a few hours.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

BKP
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  BKP on Sun May 03, 2015 1:41 am

GarryB wrote:welcome Smile

When you feel like replying to an insult with an insult PM me and we can sort it out hopefully without anyone being banned.

Keep in mind I do have to work and sleep and I live on the other side of the planet to most of you so if you don't get an instant reply don't be surprised... it doesn't mean I am ignoring you.

Normally when I log on there are 60-70 posts to read... it takes a few hours.

Aye aye capt'n! I well remember your posts from long ago and respect you. I'll keep an ice cube under my cap. pirat

Ivan the Colorado
    Captain
    Captain

Post  Ivan the Colorado on Sun May 03, 2015 4:53 am

I was a big fan of Tim's posts back in the trenches of the баттхерт thread. Welcome home BKP!

Last edited by Ivan the Colorado on Sun May 03, 2015 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Speling iss uf awefullll)

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Sun May 03, 2015 1:22 pm

Good to see you here Tim! welcome

Looks like best folks from MP.net decided to come here, I remember your posts from the old days, good stuff. russia

magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  magnumcromagnon on Mon May 04, 2015 6:24 pm

welcome

BKP
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  BKP on Wed May 06, 2015 5:58 am

Hi Ivan the Colorado and Papa Dragon. I remember you guys too. Top quality posters! cheers

Hi magnumcromagnon, and thanks! Loved "Team America" btw.

alexZam
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  alexZam on Fri May 08, 2015 1:10 am

welcome

BKP
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  BKP on Fri May 08, 2015 4:15 am

^ Thanks! I like your kitteh av and the pics you find to post.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:27 pm

Current date/time is Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:27 pm