Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #3

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #3

Post  Werewolf on Mon May 04, 2015 12:55 am

alexZam wrote:On a humorous note:

Dropped, painted in politically correct color, and don't forget to check out da rims, yo.  unshaven

The gansta level is weak in you Padawan.

It lacks neon lights beneath and it is not bouncing, long way to go....

alexZam
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  alexZam on Mon May 04, 2015 1:00 am

Werewolf wrote:

Dropped, painted in politically correct color, and don't forget to check out da rims, yo.  unshaven

The gansta level is weak in you Padawan.

It lacks neon lights beneath and it is not bouncing, long way to go....

Export version to Asian market would have a spoiler and custom dragon paint on carbon-fiber custom hood and underwings, fo'shizl.

Spread it to otvaga and paralay guys. Let them have a good laugh too.

pirat

collegeboy16
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  collegeboy16 on Mon May 04, 2015 1:56 am

looks a'ight, cept fo' tha tarp. whut you hidin under there brotha?

alexZam wrote:

Export version to Asian market would have a spoiler and custom dragon paint on carbon-fiber custom hood and underwings, fo'shizl.

Spread it to otvaga and paralay guys. Let them have a good laugh too.

pirat
    damn, digging that nicki minaj of an ace - give it a gyaru makeover an is pu-uh-fecto!

Zivo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Zivo on Mon May 04, 2015 3:09 am

This was posted on Gur Khan attacks.

http://gurkhan.blogspot.com/2015/05/blog-post_97.html

Basically it's a summary of a 2009 report covering the transmission for the unified chassis (Armata).

Here's what I took away from it. The transmission that could be used on Armata is a digitally controlled mechanical drive transmission, it's not hydromechanical, electric, or CVT. I'm guessing it's mechanically similar to manual transmissions, but Armata's computer controls actuators to do all the clutchwork and gear selecting. The driver just hits the go button. It has 4 forward gears, and 4 reverse, Armata could drive backwards at max speed, which maybe how it pulls off using the same bits for the forward and rear mounted engine variant. It's a pretty amazing trick.

Compare it with the Leopard 2's transmission, which is a 6 gear automatic, four forward, two reverse. ~70km/h forward, ~30km/h reverse. Given armata's power to weight ratio, the T-14 will be faster than most MBT's, even when driving in reverse. lol1

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Mon May 04, 2015 3:42 am

Well it is definitley a plus over T-90/72 which lacks reverse speed and automatic gearbox.

The T-14 Armata would have HP/T ratio by 1500hp engine:

56t = 26.79 hp/t
    55t = 27.27 hp/t
    54t = 27.77 hp/t
    53t = 28.30 hp/t
    52t = 28.85 hp/t

Sounds like a vast improvement over the previous hp/t ratios.

magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  magnumcromagnon on Mon May 04, 2015 4:03 am

Werewolf wrote:Well it is definitley a plus over T-90/72 which lacks reverse speed and automatic gearbox.

The T-14 Armata would have HP/T ratio by 1500hp engine:

56t = 26.79 hp/t
    55t = 27.27 hp/t
    54t = 27.77 hp/t
    53t = 28.30 hp/t
    52t = 28.85 hp/t

This is true, one of the few glaring flaws of the T-90 was it's ridiculously slow reverse speed. And yes reverse speed is very important for a MBT, especially in a urban warfare environment.

Cyberspec
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Cyberspec on Mon May 04, 2015 4:36 am

Zivo wrote:This was posted on Gur Khan attacks.

Basically it's a summary of a 2009 report covering the transmission for the unified chassis (Armata).

Pretty good post by the "Khan"...and thanks for sharing here.

On Otvaga I noticed he's bragging how his prediction re: the Armata's wheels (sizewise in between the T-72/90 and T-80 wheels) came true.

collegeboy16
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  collegeboy16 on Mon May 04, 2015 4:58 am

Werewolf wrote:

hate to rain on your parade but the initial batches would have their engines derated to 1200hp

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    This is true, one of the few glaring flaws of the T-90 was it's ridiculously slow reverse speed. And yes reverse speed is very important for a MBT, especially in a urban warfare environment.
    x2, weve seen vids of T-72s in Syria that were turned into funeral pyres because they werent able to back away from a street clearing immediately or with the frontal armor facing the threat.

the ability to backpedal quickly is also important for a tank-killer role. the best tactic for countering tanks is ambushing them with anti-tank firepower (anti-tank guns in WW2, tanks and atgm on ifvs in cold war) placed in prepared sites (mainly hull down positions and tank trenches against arty) ahead of predetermined kill zones, like a road or a bridge. after knocking out the vanguard the rest will try to spread out - now you collect all your anti tank weapons and run back to the next line while bombarding anything behind you and tossing minefields left and right(if you hadnt already). what the ability to backpedal as fast as you can with your tanks and ifvs mean you can do things like swing in and out of cover driving backwards and shooting back.

xeno
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  xeno on Mon May 04, 2015 5:15 am

Cyberspec wrote:
    Zivo wrote:This was posted on Gur Khan attacks.

Pretty good post by the "Khan"...and thanks for sharing here.

On Otvaga I noticed he's bragging how his prediction re: the Armata's wheels (sizewise in between the T-72/90 and T-80 wheels) came true.
    Yes, I noticed this too. He did win this time so he is very proud maybe he knows people's comments on him recently...

Zivo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Zivo on Mon May 04, 2015 7:57 am

hate to rain on your parade but the initial batches would have their engines derated to 1200hp

Who's to say all batches won't have their engines derated to 1200? It's a smart idea to reduce hp for everyday operations, it's more efficient, increases the engine's lifespan, and reduces emissions. In extreme environments, like deserts and high altitude, it really improves lifespan vs stock tuning. Armata's are going to spend the vast majority of their lifespan fighting plywood cutouts on training grounds anyways, there's no reason why they need to be any faster than current MBT's for peacetime missions.

In wartime, the engine control unit could be reset to 1,500 horsepower. Keep in mind, the engine also can exceed 1,500hp for heavier variants like Coalition.

collegeboy16
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  collegeboy16 on Mon May 04, 2015 11:30 am

Zivo wrote:
    In wartime, the engine control unit could be reset to 1,500 horsepower. Keep in mind, the engine also can exceed 1,500hp for heavier variants like Coalition.
    true, they could do just that, but i doubt it. the abrams and leo 2 engines are actually rated much higher - about >2000hp as ive read somewhere
    and in the hot and hi and dusty afghan climate a power boost would help them a lot slugging all that weight - but they didnt go for one.

but then again, those were mainly coin ops - a repeat of 8.8.8 "blitzkrieg" which be over in a matter of weeks, if not days, would give incentive for the tankers to unleash the full power of their machines. after all the war would be over before their engines give in due to overuse.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon May 04, 2015 1:13 pm

AFAIK the different weight vehicles will have different engine ratings so the lightest models like the APC and the cargo transport model might have the engine derated to 1200hp, but the engine is designed for a future rating of something like 2,400hp, with increases over time with new materials... perhaps that heat resistant aluminium they developed might extend the life of the engine and allow higher power ratings...

AFAIK the Tank model Armata will have a 1,500hp rated engine.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Stealthflanker
    Major
    Major

Post  Stealthflanker on Mon May 04, 2015 4:55 pm

From Twitter

source
    https://mobile.twitter.com/mod_russia/media

archangelski
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  archangelski on Mon May 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Strange that not already posted here :
    without canvas :
    Armata :
    http://cs624419.vk.me/v624419498/32f62/z40rxdCZONE.jpg
    http://cs624419.vk.me/v624419498/32f6b/3lrI_kB3uHA.jpg

Kurganets :
    http://cs624419.vk.me/v624419498/32f72/o9sW7xa3eo0.jpg

+ http://xn--80ahclcogc6ci4h.xn--90anlfbebar6i.xn--p1ai/multimedia/photo/gallery.htm?id=21804@cmsPhotoGallery

Stealthflanker
    Major
    Major

Post  Stealthflanker on Mon May 04, 2015 5:12 pm

archangelski wrote:Strange that not already posted here :
    without canvas :
    Armata :
    http://cs624419.vk.me/v624419498/32f62/z40rxdCZONE.jpg
    http://cs624419.vk.me/v624419498/32f6b/3lrI_kB3uHA.jpg

Kurganets :
    http://cs624419.vk.me/v624419498/32f72/o9sW7xa3eo0.jpg

+ http://xn--80ahclcogc6ci4h.xn--90anlfbebar6i.xn--p1ai/multimedia/photo/gallery.htm?id=21804@cmsPhotoGallery
    Well it haven't.

Neutrality
    Major
    Major

Post  Neutrality on Mon May 04, 2015 5:31 pm

That tank turret looks futuristic as hell, something I expected. Beautiful machine.

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Mon May 04, 2015 5:40 pm

Neutrality wrote:That tank turret looks futuristic as hell, something I expected. Beautiful machine.

I find it ugly and not really well made in comperision to what has been shown as the scale model. that scale model looks far better armored, this turret basically has nothing else but spaced NERA tiles like Leopard 2 which are barely effective, ERA is a must.

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Mon May 04, 2015 5:56 pm

Well the Armata looks thoroughly conventional, albeit futuristic. I'm disappointed they didn't find a way to make the turret smaller.
    And it looks like the 30mm cannon or gattling gun wasn't part of the plan.. perhaps we'll see something like that for the BMPT.

I guess there's no real harm in a turret bustle with extra ammo; especially as the turret is unmanned. Still would have prefered a 30 + ammo instead though.

I'm glad they went with the 12.7mm HMG on APC models as there's no need for anything heavier; but there really could have put 2-3 independently-traversing machine guns at different heights to each other; instead of just one. They could have comfortably fitted them onto one turret.
    Also, a grenade launcher coaxial to the HMG wouldn't have added much cost, but considerably expanded the APCs firepower options; 40mm grenades fragmenting in mid-air make for an effective anti-ambush weapon.

Last edited by flamming_python on Mon May 04, 2015 6:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Mon May 04, 2015 5:59 pm

Αrmata IFV

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Mon May 04, 2015 6:03 pm

The Epoha-lite will do the job, but only due to its ATGMs.
    I can't help feeling that the 30mm is inadequate for today's realities and the 45mm or 57mm needs to be made ready ASAP.

zg18
    Major
    Major

Post  zg18 on Mon May 04, 2015 6:05 pm

From side:

KomissarBojanchev
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Mon May 04, 2015 6:07 pm

flamming_python wrote:Well the Armata looks thoroughly conventional, albeit futuristic. I'm disappointed they didn't find a way to make the turret smaller.
    And it looks like the 30mm cannon or gattling gun wasn't part of the plan.. perhaps we'll see something like that for the BMPT.

I guess there's no real harm in a turret bustle with extra ammo; especially as the turret is unmanned. Still would have prefered a 30 + ammo instead though.

I'm glad they went with just the HMG on APC models; but there really could have put 2-3 independent machine guns on different heights; instead of just one.
    Nevertheless the NSVT is too weak to be put on any modern vehicle other than an MRAP or jeep. Why the hell would they do that instead of making a RWS with the equally combat proven and far more powerful KPVT?

Why would the russian army shoot itself in the foot that way?

Even better it would've been to put a low velocity 23mm EGT, something completely feasible given the size of both the bumarang and kurganets.

If it's gonna be a new generation of vehicles for their class, improvements in all fields should be made, armament included.

You might tell me that zany gadgets and automations will counteract the NSVT's lack of firepower but that doesn't adress range and armor piercing capability, something only imprved with a bigger gun.

I pray to god the APC configurations of all the new platforms shown on the parade are just minimum possible armament demonstrators that will not become more than inferior export versions.

mack8
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post  mack8 on Mon May 04, 2015 6:08 pm

Video:

KomissarBojanchev
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Mon May 04, 2015 6:10 pm

Nevertheless I'm truly excited that the entire vehicles already uncovered. But weren't still supposed to be covered in tarp until Vparade? What made the MD declassify them earlier?

But it's still a bittersweet moment knowing that most of the weapons equpped are weaker than they should've been...

ebobat
    Private
    Private

Post  ebobat on Mon May 04, 2015 6:19 pm

Last edited by ebobat on Mon May 04, 2015 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:41 pm

Current date/time is Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:41 pm