Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+63
Jhonwick3
Tom Cruise
Russian Fighter
Anonymous Fighter
iwanz
MilitaryAttractions
Enera
baron8201
Svyatoslavich
KiloGolf
Odin of Ossetia
DB1234
AlfaT8
Elbows
pampa14
Walther von Oldenburg
Cowboy's daughter
Anas Ali
jhelb
JohninMK
HUNTER VZLA
FichtL_WichtL
MOPO3
OminousSpudd
KoTeMoRe
assslan
marcinko
Airbornewolf
mack8
PapaDragon
zackyx
zg18
Cyberspec
Zivo
Mike E
magnumcromagnon
kvs
Werewolf
Khepesh
collegeboy16
Bolt
cheesfactory
VeeTee
d_taddei2
Wizard Bo
nealko
Indian Flanker
Sujoy
NationalRus
KRON1
Viktor
TR1
nemrod
Stealthflanker
Mr.Kalishnikov47
AJ-47
GarryB
medo
Austin
Admin
ahmedfire
Kysusha
nightcrawler
67 posters

Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread:

GarryB
    GarryB

Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 Empty Military Decoys

Post  GarryB Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:19 am

AFAIK they have metal suspended in the material so it shows up on radar as a flat metal surface, so it should fool radar.

The Russians are the real masters at this sort of thing and include gas powered burners positioned where the engines should be so the IR signature makes it look real too... showing heat from the engine area...
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 Empty Patria AMV with a BMP-3

Post  d_taddei2 Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:30 am

just for peoples info, here is a pic of a Patria AMV with a BMP-3, these Patria have had the length extended by 0.4m to accomodate the BMP-3 anre are in use with UAE who also use the BMP-3 AFV, i think this is a pretty good idea, there AFV's and Wheeled APC's both using the same calibre's.

Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 Idex_210

Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 Vwcbqw10

Last edited by d_taddei2 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : extra pic)
    VeeTee
    VeeTee

Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 Empty Film from artilley strike target area

Post  VeeTee Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:49 pm

Sorry if this is here already, I didn't spot it with my tired eyes at least..

From the video description:
    Battery of Finnish Army field artillery cannons model 130 K 54 fire into the target area where the cameras are waiting. Filmed during Army firing exercise in Rovajärvi, Lapland.

Kuvauksen johto/editointi/editor: Jaakko Ala-Hiiro
    Ohjaus/director: Irma Nyfors
    Äänitys/äänieditointi/sound engineer: Mikko Tontti

Not like in the movies, but wouldn't want to be there!
    cheesfactory

Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 Empty Re: Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread:

Post  cheesfactory Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:04 pm

Great realistic video!
    I have now a bad trip/flashback, but still --> +1 Laughing
    Bolt
    Bolt

Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 Empty Re: Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread:

Post  Bolt Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Thank you for the clip. It's actually quite scary - at first everything is silent, and then a mini portal to hell opens directly to your face.
    I've never been under artillery fire (hopefully never will be), but after watching several videos from Donbas area, I had an impression you could actually hear an incoming round - at least, the mortar shells. And here there's no indication that several kilos of HE will hit your area in a second or two.

By the way, here's a somewhat similar video of how it feels to be at the receiving end of a MG-42.

VeeTee
    VeeTee

Post  VeeTee Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:12 pm

(I think) most artillery rounds are supersonic, so it's usually game over without warning. The ones that miss you you might hear - after they've passed you. Mortar rounds make more sound in the air, I think, but only for a split second before the boom. When facing artillery, you need to be properly dug in or constantly on the move. I have actually witnessed a mortar target area during firing from pretty far away, but I don't remember hearing any sound.

That MG video was pretty cool, almost made me want to hit the ground and take cover. Almost shouted at the guy when he started demonstrating changing the barrel, too. I thought it was after the firing, so it would be scorching hot Laughing
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:25 pm

VeeTee wrote:Sorry if this is here already, I didn't spot it with my tired eyes at least..

From the video description:
    Battery of Finnish Army field artillery cannons model 130 K 54 fire into the target area where the cameras are waiting. Filmed during Army firing exercise in Rovajärvi, Lapland.

Kuvauksen johto/editointi/editor: Jaakko Ala-Hiiro
    Ohjaus/director: Irma Nyfors
    Äänitys/äänieditointi/sound engineer: Mikko Tontti

Not like in the movies, but wouldn't want to be there!
    i frickin flinched in my seat. affraid
    Khepesh
    Khepesh

Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 Empty Bigger not always better

Post  Khepesh Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:05 pm

Okay, just a one off photo to show that smaller is better in this case, and this is not sort of juxtaposition of tanks seen everyday. Yep, T-72 is a generation ahead of Conqueror, but interesting to see them side by side with the smaller being better, except leg room, in all respects. They have hammocks in Conqueror turret? ballroom, cinema?....
    Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 E93d2b3b8d7b
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:35 pm

The fact alone speaks for itself that most rounds hit any tank at turret, that comes from FCS and that a smaller object like T-72 at tank engagement ranges would had much lower chances to be hit than a bigger tank.

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:57 am

I suspect the T-14 turret can survive direct hits and still be functional even after penetration. The space used for
    the crew can be used creatively for additional layers to intercept any fragments that do penetrate the outer
    shell. And the outer shell can be much more robust due it having to cover a much smaller volume.

With the above considerations the T-14 can be taller giving more room for the crew compartment and the
    shell/powder carousel.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:19 am

I'm still awaiting information about the cook off solution. Will the hatch that enters the turret and carousel be the blow off panel or are the blow off panels located somewhere else, they certainly must have a solution to that.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:35 am

Werewolf wrote:I'm still awaiting information about the cook off solution. Will the hatch that enters the turret and carousel be the blow off panel or are the blow off panels located somewhere else, they certainly must have a solution to that.

Having the blow off hatch(es) in the turret is the best solution. It gives access and at the same time relieves the explosive stress
    to protect the crew compartment. Having them at the sides is not feasible and none are evident. Having one at the bottom puts
    the tank at extra risk from mine detonations. It will be hard to directly hit the hatch on the turret just like the existing turret
    hatches.

There must have been field tests of this aspect. Probably for the first time since they would write the tank and the crew off in such
    cases in the past. The T-14 is innovative in many ways.
    VeeTee
    VeeTee

Post  VeeTee Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:32 pm

Somehow I feel the conqueror would not have fared well in urban combat. But it's obviously not designed for that anyway. I think it was designed to go against IS-3s, which also are smaller.
    T-14s and the whole Armata system will be really interesting in many ways.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:15 pm

kvs wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:I'm still awaiting information about the cook off solution. Will the hatch that enters the turret and carousel be the blow off panel or are the blow off panels located somewhere else, they certainly must have a solution to that.

Having the blow off hatch(es) in the turret is the best solution.  It gives access and at the same time relieves the explosive stress
    to protect the crew compartment.  Having them at the sides is not feasible and none are evident.  Having one at the bottom puts
    the tank at extra risk from mine detonations.    It will be hard to directly hit the hatch on the turret just like the existing turret
    hatches.

There must have been field tests of this aspect.  Probably for the first time since they would write the tank and the crew off in such
    cases in the past.  The T-14 is innovative in many ways.

That is also my guess, but somehow i would prefer an enclosed carousel that has redirected blow off panels so the equipment in the turret does not get damaged, so after cook off's that the tank can be repaired easily and cost effecient by throwing out burned bend carousel and autoloader mechanism and then put back the turret on it.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:40 pm

I suspect the ammo will be protected but if the worst case scenario happens and all the propellent goes up at once even if the turret is blown up into the air and lands a few metres from the tank the crew wont be effected... just as they arent effected by propellent burnt when the main gun fires.

A propellent explosion does not have the raw energy of a HE explosion so turrets might be blown off but the hull is unlikely to be shattered like it would if a whole load of HE rounds detonates.

HE rounds need a detonation to function as explosives... otherwise it will burn much slower than propellent will burn.

It is possible that new propellent using electricity to enhance its performance could be made rather less sensitive to fire, which means a very energetic reaction when firing projectiles down the barrel but a rather less energetic reaction if it catches fire in the vehicle or in an ammo dump.

the whole point of an unmanned turret is to separate the crew from the ammo and fuel... I doubt they would neglect precautions regarding fuel and ammo fires.

the quickest solution to a damaged turret would be replacement... in fact based on the comments about moving the engine rather than having front and rear engined hulls suggests any damage to the turret would lead to replacement of a range of turret types... while the damaged turret is replaced or stripped of useful parts and components for other repairs.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 Empty Non-Russian military multimedia and discussion thread:

Post  magnumcromagnon Fri May 01, 2015 10:39 am

***DISCLAIMER***: With the influx of new members, it's high time a thread like this is created. Keep the discussion civil, polite disagreements are fine but avoid the insults otherwise I'll have one of the mods delete your post. People are entitled to their opinion and their freedom of speech, just avoid derailing the thread.

NATO, Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Japanese, Brazilian, Algerian, Indonesian, South African, etc. themed discussion:

CV90 with a 40mm autocannon:

More 40mm autocannon action, RapidFire 40mm 6x6 multi role ground based gun air defense system Thales (pretty damn awesome system):

Pretty epic! Giraffe 4A AESA Radar System:

BAE Systems Bofors 57mm Mk 3 Stealth Gun with 3P Ammunition:

Amazing! AMOS (Dual) 120-mm Self-Propelled Mortar System:

Here's some Chinese love, Type 052D DDG:

Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 081309stpegg5o95mdodt0-jpg
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Fri May 01, 2015 10:47 am

Chinese love? Sure you don't mean American love? 

lol!
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Fri May 01, 2015 12:44 pm

Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 1379094694293
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Fri May 01, 2015 12:57 pm

^ERA?
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Fri May 01, 2015 1:11 pm

Booty aside, the Sherman was absurdly tall.
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Fri May 01, 2015 1:41 pm

South Korean K-2 MBT
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Fri May 01, 2015 5:35 pm

One of the rare RF Squadron AH-64D with AMASE pods with additional flares and MAWS.
    Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 Ky5i4fco
    Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 Ejb59Pk
    Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 HAUUjW5
    AH-1W Super Cobra stripped
    Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 HVsTpAF
    AH-1Z cockpit
    Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 TThbd0S
    Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 FpG0oLf
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Fri May 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Werewolf wrote:One of the rare RF Squadron AH-64D with AMASE pods with additional flares and MAWS.

To be honest, virtually all CAS aircraft should have MAWS as a standard suite, IMO. It's a small expense compared to losing an entire aircraft, and the Apache is a excellent aircraft but one of it's major flaws was the lack of defensive measures implemented in it's design (especially the non-existence of BP glass).
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Fri May 01, 2015 7:47 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:One of the rare RF Squadron AH-64D with AMASE pods with additional flares and MAWS.

To be honest, virtually all CAS aircraft should have MAWS as a standard suite, IMO. It's a small expense compared to losing an entire aircraft, and the Apache is a excellent aircraft but one of it's major flaws was the lack of defensive measures implemented in it's design (especially the non-existence of BP glass).

I aggree but the some decision makers rather let the money flow in other budgets or their pockets.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Sat May 02, 2015 5:03 am

Zivo wrote:Non-Russian Μilitary multimedia thread: - Page 3 1379094694293

Solid looking rear Cool

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:05 pm