Some of the increase to the Russian Armed Forces is the result of the amalgamation of former Ukrainian Armed Forces into the Russian Armed Forces after the annex of Crimea.
In January 2014 there was an estimated 14,500 -14,800 Ukrainian Armed Forces stationed in Crimea. There were a further estimated 4,000 other military forces (Interior troops, Border Guards and Coast Guard);
- Navy and Coastal Defense 11,900
- Air Force and Air Defense 2,600 to 2,900
- no Ground Forces were permanently stationed in the Crimea but a company of Airborne was there on a joint training exercise with the Marine battalion and they were escorted out of Crimea first.
- no break down on the other Military forces but suspect ~ 75% would have been Interior troops.
After the referendum, the Russian military gave the Ukrainian forces 3 options;
- become Russian citizens and join the Russian military
- become civilians and remain in Crimea
- stay with the Ukrainian military and leave Crimea
In March 2014, the Ukrainian Minister of Defense announced to the Ukrainian Rada that;
- 2,600 members of the Armed forces in Crimea
- 800 members of the other Military forces
- 900 of their dependents
would have to be moved back into Ukraine
And that a further ~ 900 Crimean citizens serving in Ukrainian military units in Ukraine as Regulars, Cadets and Conscripts had requested release from service to return to Crimea, which would be accomplished by April's end. ( the Minister was relieved shortly afterwards)
The Russian MO announced in April, that ~ 9,200 Officers, Cadets, Warrants and Contractors from the Ukrainian Armed Forces had been accepted into the Russian Armed Forces.
Further that all the Crimean born conscripts would finish out their service in the Interior Troop units in Crimea. Drafting of Crimean citizens into the Russian Armed Forces would not start until 2015.
No breakdown of other Military forces, but at one point during the Crisis, Crimean authorities had claimed that 75% of them had switched sides.
The Russian Armed Forces announced towards year end that another ~800 Crimean citizens had been recruited as Contractors in 2014.