Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+30
Visc
PapaDragon
flamming_python
miketheterrible
d_taddei2
KoTeMoRe
franco
Backinblack
calripson
iraqidabab
sheytanelkebir
Book.
max steel
mack8
magnumcromagnon
madball
Cyberspec
GarryB
gaurav
TR1
macedonian
zg18
Hachimoto
Russian Patriot
Viktor
Turk1
sepheronx
crod
Admin
soldieroffortune
34 posters

Saudi Arabia - Russia arms deals

soldieroffortune
    soldieroffortune

Saudi Arabia - Russia arms deals Empty Saudi Arabia - Russia arms deals

Post  soldieroffortune 18/08/09, 07:08 am

According to this article in Izvestia:

http://www.izvestia.ru/news/news213197

Saudi Arabia and Russia are negotiating new arms deals. In particular, Saudi Arabia is interested in buying the newest Russian anti-aircraft/missiles complex S-400.
    Admin
    Admin

Saudi Arabia - Russia arms deals Empty Re: Saudi Arabia - Russia arms deals

Post  Admin 18/08/09, 07:13 am

Don't forget to translate it...

Saudi Arabia has been negotiating the purchase of Russian weapons

Saudi Arabia has been negotiating with Moscow for the purchase of Russian military equipment. "Competition in this market is very high, and we are on the new players, so for details of our talks, I omit. I can only say that the Russian weapons may take place in the Saudi arsenal," - noted the deputy director of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation Constantine Biryulin.

Earlier, Saudi Arabia in the procurement of arms and military equipment focused solely on the Western partners, especially the United States. After lengthy visits Russia Saudi military delegation in February and March 2007 memorandum of understanding was signed between the Kingdom and Moscow. In October of that year, French media reported that Saudi Arabia has signed an agreement for the purchase of more than 150 Russian MI-35 (for NATO - Hind) and Mi-17 (Hip). However, until this information has not officially confirmed. In July, there have been reports of negotiations between Russia and Saudi Arabia on the purchase of air defense S-400
    soldieroffortune
    soldieroffortune

Post  soldieroffortune 18/08/09, 07:21 am

[quote="Vladimir79"]Don't forget to translate it...

[quote]

I've a question: Should I also translate the articles (or parts thereof) that I use as references and don't quote? Say, I submit a post and list my references in the end, some of which may not be in English, - is it allowed? Please clarify. Thanks.
    crod
    crod

Post  crod 18/08/09, 06:17 pm

Vladimir79 wrote:Don't forget to translate it...

Saudi Arabia has been negotiating with Moscow for the purchase of Russian military equipment. "Competition in this market is very high, and we are on the new players, so for details of our talks, I omit. I can only say that the Russian weapons may take place in the Saudi arsenal," - noted the deputy director of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation Constantine Biryulin.

Earlier, Saudi Arabia in the procurement of arms and military equipment focused solely on the Western partners, especially the United States. After lengthy visits Russia Saudi military delegation in February and March 2007 memorandum of understanding was signed between the Kingdom and Moscow. In October of that year, French media reported that Saudi Arabia has signed an agreement for the purchase of more than 150 Russian MI-35 (for NATO - Hind) and Mi-17 (Hip). However, until this information has not officially confirmed. In July, there have been reports of negotiations between Russia and Saudi Arabia on the purchase of air defense S-400

150 Mig-35s??? wtf? that'll make them the most powerful airforce in the region wont it? and if they get their hands on the s-400 surely that's a regional power game changer?
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin 18/08/09, 11:17 pm

soldieroffortune wrote:
    I've a question: Should I also translate the articles (or parts thereof) that I use as references and don't quote? Say, I submit a post and list my references in the end, some of which may not be in English, - is it allowed? Please clarify. Thanks.

Nah... but if you have something you want people to read, translate it.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx 19/08/09, 01:01 am

crod wrote:

150 Mig-35s??? wtf? that'll make them the most powerful airforce in the region wont it? and if they get their hands on the s-400 surely that's a regional power game changer?

Not migs, Hinds (mi-35 hind). Those vehicles are monsters and could provide a long range attack (Longbow style). As for the S-400, it would surely make Saudi Arabia a no fly zone for Stealth, and UCAV's!
    soldieroffortune
    soldieroffortune

Post  soldieroffortune 19/08/09, 03:16 am

crod wrote:

Not MiG-35, but Mi-35, please recall that Mi-35 is the export version of the Mi-24 helicopter. Most powerful Air Force in the region is still that of Israel.
    crod
    crod

Post  crod 19/08/09, 01:30 pm

ah! my apologies folks, should have a little more prudent with my reading! i thougt 150 mig-35s was huge Embarassed
    Turk1
    Turk1

Post  Turk1 23/08/09, 05:25 am

Russia will not sell all those weapons to Saudis. Just Mi-17. They are too close to USA.
    Admin
    Admin

Saudi Arabia - Russia arms deals Empty Saudi Arabia set to buy 30 Russian military helicopters

Post  Admin 27/08/09, 01:39 am

Saudi Arabia set to buy 30 Russian military helicopters - source

15:3025/08/2009

MOSCOW, August 25 (RIA Novosti) - Russia is concluding talks with Saudi Arabia on selling 30 Mi-171B helicopters, a source close to the negotiations said on Tuesday.

"We are in a final stage of talks on the purchase of 30 helicopters and hope to sign the deal in September," the source told RIA Novosti.

The Mi-171 is an export version of the Mi-8 Hip multipurpose helicopter. Currently in production at two factories in the Russian Volga city of Kazan and the East Siberian city of Ulan-Ude, it features more powerful turbo-shaft engines and can carry up to 37 passengers.

The Arab state has traditionally bought only Western, mainly U.S.-made, civilian and military equipment, but has recently expressed an interest in acquiring Russian weaponry, including S-400 air defense systems, T-90 tanks, BMP-3 infantry fighting vehicles, and various types of helicopters.

Russian analysts linked the Saudi interest in Russian weapons with a change in the kingdom's political priorities and the difficulties it has encountered in purchasing weaponry from the West since the September 11 terrorist attacks, masterminded and performed mostly by Saudi citizens.

Russia's Kommersant newspaper reported in July that Russia and Saudi Arabia discussed a number of deals worth an estimated $4 billion a year and a half ago, when the country's Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal visited Moscow.

Saudi Arabia's defense budget currently exceeds $33 billion, and is expected to reach $44 billion in 2010.

http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20090825/155920593.html
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor 30/08/09, 03:47 am

Russia, S. Arabia To Finalize $2B Deal: Report

MOSCOW - Saudi Arabia is close to signing a $2 billion (1.4-billion-euro) deal to buy Russian arms, a Russian defense industry source was quoted as saying August 29.

"Work is nearly complete on a set of contracts on the delivery of Russian arms and military technology to Saudi Arabia, with a total value of around $2 billion," the source told Interfax news agency.

"For many of these contracts, all the technical and financial details have practically been agreed, for others work is still ongoing," he added.

Riyadh may purchase up to 150 helicopters - 30 Mi-35 attack helicopters and up to 120 Mi-17 transport helicopters - more than 150 T-90S tanks, around 250 BMP-3 infantry fighting vehicles and "several dozen" air defense systems, the source said.

Contracts for the sale of the tanks and the helicopters "could be signed as soon as this year," he told Interfax.

Spokespersons for Rosoboronexport, Russia's state-owned arms export monopoly, and for the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation, which oversees the arms trade, could not be reached for comment on Saturday.

Saudi Arabia - a close U.S. ally - has long bought most of its arms from the United States and Western Europe, but in recent years has been in talks on buying military equipment from Russia.

Meanwhile Russia is keen to find new markets for its weapons exports, one of the few sectors of Russian manufacturing that has enjoyed international success.

In 2008 Moscow and Riyadh signed a military cooperation treaty, and this year Saudi King Abdullah received a delegation that included a top Kremlin adviser and an official from Rosoboronexport.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor 03/09/09, 05:49 am

Turk1 wrote:Russia will not sell all those weapons to Saudis. Just Mi-17. They are too close to USA.

They will sell export version of whatever.
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Saudi Arabia - Russia arms deals Empty Russia confirms talks on arms deliveries to Saudi Arabia

Post  Russian Patriot 05/09/09, 06:14 am

Russia confirms talks on arms deliveries to Saudi Arabia

RIA Novosti

17:53 03/09/2009 MOSCOW, September 3 (RIA Novosti) - Russia and Saudi Arabia are holding talks on military-technical cooperation, which may include sales of military equipment to the Arab country, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Thursday.

Russia's Kommersant newspaper has reported that Russia and Saudi Arabia discussed a number of deals worth an estimated $2 billion 18 months ago, when the country's Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal visited Moscow.

"We are working in this direction, we can confirm this," Andrei Nesterenko said, adding that military-technical cooperation between the two countries is in Russia's interests and does not violate its international commitments in this sphere.

The diplomat refused to comment on the amount of the potential arms deals citing confidentiality in the negotiations.

"This is confidential information and I cannot add anything on the figures," Nesterenko said.

Saudi Arabia has traditionally bought only Western, mainly U.S.-made, civilian and military equipment, but has recently expressed an interest in acquiring Russian weaponry, including S-400 air defense systems, T-90 tanks, BMP-3 infantry fighting vehicles, and various types of helicopters.

Russian analysts linked the Saudi interest in Russian weapons with a change in the kingdom's political priorities and the difficulties it has encountered in purchasing weaponry from the West since the September 11 terrorist attacks, masterminded and performed mostly by Saudi citizens.

Saudi Arabia's defense budget currently exceeds $33 billion, and is expected to reach $44 billion in 2010.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2009/09/mil-090903-rianovosti07.htm
    Hachimoto

Saudi Arabia - Russia arms deals Empty Moscow Riyad, Could it be?

Post  Hachimoto 23/11/13, 05:44 am

Moscow and Riyad in negociation for a contract Worth 12B$$

http://fr.ria.ru/defense/20131122/199850673.html

Wondering if this is possible with the downs in the relation between Riyad and USA later.
    Or it will be just a teasing for the US as the Egypt is doing now.
    zg18
    zg18

Post  zg18 23/11/13, 07:48 am

Hachimoto wrote:Moscow and Riyad in negociation for a contract Worth 12B$$

Wondering if this is possible with the downs in the relation between Riyad and USA later.

It`s no wonder at all , Saudis already had deal with Russia scuttled by US pressure and partially some of Saudi elite thought that Russia is paper tiger.

Now , with Russians all over Middle East , GCC will do what it knows best , buy support. Add to this that Russia is the only really influential foreign power in Tehran, that certainly plays pivotal role.
    macedonian
    macedonian

Post  macedonian 23/11/13, 01:52 pm

zg18 wrote:
    Hachimoto wrote:Moscow and Riyad in negociation for a contract Worth 12B$$

It`s no wonder at all , Saudis already had deal with Russia scuttled by US pressure and partially some of Saudi elite thought that Russia is paper tiger.

Now , with Russians all over Middle East , GCC will do what it knows best , buy support. Add to this that Russia is the only really influential foreign power in Tehran, that certainly plays pivotal role.
    I'd prefer the Russians not to do this (not act in the same way the Americans do) so that they could retain the high moral ground that brought them so much prestige in the last couple of years...but what do I know...geopolitics...seems to be the game...history seems to be no factor (sadly).

(Off topic: Iz Zagreba si?)
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 24/11/13, 12:07 am

Russia...high morale ground....what?!?!

Our scumbags at the top have no sense of morality whatsoever, and our foreign policy is quite reflective of that.
    Granted you need to be concerned with national interests more than being "ethical" everywhere, but these guys only care about national interests when it stuffs their pockets anwyays.
    zg18
    zg18

Post  zg18 24/11/13, 12:36 am

macedonian wrote:(Off topic: Iz Zagreba si?)
    Da.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python 24/11/13, 02:17 am

High Moral Ground!
    lol1 

You know why the West always has the 'high moral ground'?
    Because they have the most money! cheers
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python 24/11/13, 07:45 am

Let's not forget that after the Iraq war, America installed pretty much who they wanted into all structures of Iraqi power.

Even if their political leaders prove independent enough (which they aren't), then the US will still have plenty of its own people in intelligence, officer corps, members of the cabinet will be on their payroll too, etc...

So Russia can't sell them anything too sophisticated. A MiG-35 would be pushing it because it features some of the very latest Russian technology; selling the very latest weaponary would be a bad idea too.
    But something like a MiG-29M2 should be OK, along with previous-gen AA and A2A missiles (still very capable). Honestly, it will be more than good enough for Iraq's requirements.
    gaurav
    gaurav

Post  gaurav 25/11/13, 03:58 am

what the hell is going on..?Rolling Eyes  Saudi pilots flying MIG-35 /SU-35 with long range precision targeting and reconnaissance..

What the heck.. is this..
    Russian leadership is surely going to loose popularity which it is "by luck" achieved in 2013 with decisive help to Syria..

I dont think people will approve of this deal..
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 25/11/13, 09:51 pm

I Saudi Arabia wants to buy a Mig-35 the Russians will sell, but they wont be getting the same Mig-35 that the Russian AF will be getting... and the money made will make the Russian Mig-35s cheaper and equipped with better technology.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec 25/11/13, 11:27 pm

flamming_python wrote:High Moral Ground!
    lol1 

Amen Very Happy 

Personally, I would prefer if they nuked the fukers (SA) but getting their money (and increasing Rus influence in the ME) will do for starters....although I'll be surprised if this will get far beyond talking.

P.S.

Apparently the VVS has pulled out of mothballs, old Soviet AF plans to bombard SA....so who knows, maybe my wish will become reality one day
    Hachimoto

Saudi Arabia - Russia arms deals Empty Moscow and Riyad

Post  Hachimoto 26/11/13, 05:11 am

Cyberspec wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:High Moral Ground!
    lol1 

Amen Very Happy 

Personally, I would prefer if they nuked the fukers (SA) but getting their money (and increasing Rus influence in the ME) will do for starters....although I'll be surprised if this will get far beyond talking.

P.S.

Apparently the VVS has pulled out of mothballs, old Soviet AF plans to bombard SA....so who knows, maybe my wish will become reality one day
    Bombard SA ... stop child dream Wink

Go back to topic If Riyad is going FW Russia will make a huge success and maybe i said maybe if tey won SA market for a decade they will top US in weapons market
    madball

Saudi Arabia - Russia arms deals Empty KSA considering purchase of Iskander missile systems

Post  madball 17/06/15, 03:42 am

Saudi Arabian delegation at "Army-2015" defense show in Moscow says it is considering purchasing Russian Iskander missile systems

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19/04/24, 10:45 pm