Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Directed-Energy Weapons | Microwave, Laser, Sonic |

chinggis
    Private
    Private

Maser

Post  chinggis on Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:26 am

Dear PapaDragon,
    Thank you on your massage, I am very well aware of laser, how it is work, where is it is use( in 1986 I am in JNA and there we have a laser range finder to find range on armored vehicle). Now I work in for T-Com(my least employ is T-com, IT department, so I can tell that I know something about laser and it is use in every days practical use). What I do not know, is existence of maser and how it is work? I am find it like SF, so I am ask a question for it, how can be used, and what type of damage it will have introduce in targeted object. And no, it is not different particle, light and radio waves are same thing, but we can speak about lover or higher frequency of wave(light or radio waves).
    Please, do not be insulted about my post,I relay want to learn something new for my own enjoyment, for my own understanding things in the world,so, if you know something about that, please tell me. It is OK if it is on academic level Smile (after some time I will be able to understand it :L) ).
    Thanx to all
    with best regards

jhelb
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Re: Directed-Energy Weapons | Microwave, Laser, Sonic |

Post  jhelb on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:00 am

The Russian government has decided to work on development of an accelerated flow carbon dioxide based laser to hit missiles and aerial equipment. The plan is to equip the latest airplanes with these laser guns. russia russia

The latest version of the Il-76MD-90A airplane from the Ulyansk Aviastar factory will be armed with a military laser weapon. The Beriev Aircraft Company on September 14 published information on government orders on their site, saying the testing-design phase had been completed for “ergonomic provision for the development of the A-60SE airplane”.

This indicates that research and development work on laser weapons is going ahead full steam.

The Ministry of Defence in 2012 had announced that Russia had begun work on an aviation based laser gun to be installed on the A-60 aircraft system. The system is designed to destroy enemy airplanes, satellites and ballistic missiles.

At Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin’s initiative, the Foundation for Prospective Research was set up that autumn to finance the new project, which used Soviet-era advances in its R&D.

The Soviet Union had actively worked on lasers for new types of weapons. During the Soviet period the codename A60 referred to an aviation-based laser system. It was aimed at developing countermeasures against enemy spy satellites and missiles.

The starting point of the renewed program to develop laser weapons was the A60 special aviation system which was developed in the mid-1970s at the Beriev Aircraft Company. The Il-76MD transport airplane was the base. As part of the work, two flying laboratories were created: the 1A and 1A2.

The А-60 was the peak of the Soviet laser program. The first flight with an onboard laser happened in 1983 and, by 1984, it had hit its first aerial target. The 1A aircraft was lost in a fire at the start of the 1990s. However, the 1A2 flying laboratory, having received specialized equipment in 2005, was named ‘Sokol Eshelon’ (Falcon-Echelon) and began flight tests again. This aircraft hit a hypothetical target in 2009 at a height of 1500 kilometers above the earth.

The renewal and active progress of work to develop a military laser is a logical and timely step, said Alexander Kuzovlev, Associate Professor at the National Research Nuclear University (MIFI) in an interview. Laser weapons have many advantages, like practically unlimited range and high precision fire. It can be concealed and its use can surprise an enemy. Lasers, however, depend on atmospheric conditions. If there are heavy clouds, high humidity or rain, then the laser will be much less effective than in dry conditions. Also, use of a laser weapon requires advanced targeting and locking technologies on the laser itself.

Despite the fact that Russia is intensively carrying out work in this area, it is too soon to talk about an aircraft based laser weapons system that will be accepted into service to destroy missiles and airplanes, said Kuzovlev. thumbsup thumbsup

http://in.rbth.com/economics/defence/2015/10/06/back-to-the-future-with-laser-guns_480157

Big_Gazza
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Big_Gazza on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:30 pm

All this talk of lasers tends to ignore fundamental physics, such as the theoretical minimum divergence relationship, where beam spread is proportional to beam wavelength and inversely proportional to initial beam radius. I did a few calcs and found some interesting results:

For an IR laser with wavelength = 808 nm and a beam diameter of 10 cm, the divergence is 10.3 mm/km. Firing a beam at a target 200km distance, the beam at target will be 216 cm across, and the effective power density will drop by factor of 466. Increase the initial beam diameter to 100 cm and the divergence drops to 1.03 mm/km, beam at target is 121 cm across, and power dilution factor is only 1.45.

These are theoretical minimums, so in practice the actual beam divergence will be greater, and atmospheric effects causing beam scattering or absorption will result in further losses.

I tried punching in publically available data for the 80s era MIRACL from the US (~14cm beam diameter, 3.8 micron deuterium fluoride IR laser) and its performance looks un-inspiring. In the above scenario, beam divergence is a whopping 34.6 mm/km, beam diameter at target is no better than 7.06 meters and power dilution factor is 2540. Against a 0.5 m2 target and at full power (1MW for 70 secs) MIRACL could focus no more than 12kW (and in practise it would be very much less once atmospheric losses are taken into account). While this could result in damage to an aircraft (if the targetting system could manage to hold the beam in place against defensive maneuvers) it would be next to useless against ballistic missile warheads (which are equipped with heavy ablative shielding to protect against the heat generated from atmospheric re-entry).

Anyhows, this isn't meant as a comprehensive assessment, but puts a few figures up for indicative purposes.

[Repost from many moons ago...]

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:39 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    chinggis wrote:Hello all!
    Sometime I read somewhere on directed energy Weapons that use microwave radiation instead of laser (light). Can anyone tell me more about that, or this is SF?

Lasers use light ("light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation")

There are laser-like devices that use microwave radiation instead of light. They are called Masers ( "microwave amplification by stimulated emission of radiation")

Same thing, different particles...

Particles are identical in both cases.

Same thing, but on a different wave Cool

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Mon May 30, 2016 8:39 pm

In Russia, plans to launch the most powerful laser system in the world

MOSCOW, May 30 -. RIA Novosti The first stage of world's most powerful laser system UV-2M launch in Sarov (Nizhniy Novgorod region) in late 2017, told the director of the Russian Federal Nuclear Center - All-Russian Research Institute of Experimental Physics (Sarov) Valentin Kostjukov the forum "Atomexpo 2016".

According Kostyukova, 95% in Russian laser system technology will be used.

Laser installation of a new generation of intended for fundamental research in the field of high energy density physics, including - the use of laser fusion in the energy sector. UFL-2M will have a dual purpose, one of which - the war. Experiments in Physics hot dense plasma and high energy density, which take place on this type of installations, can be directed to the creation of thermonuclear weapons. The second direction - energy. Laser fusion can be used for the development of future energy.

At one of the meetings of the Scientific and Technical Council of the nuclear weapons complex "Rosatom" developers installation noted that the creation of UFL-2M is important for in new energy research, the study of states of matter, experiments for the simulation and design of new types of nuclear weapons.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20160530/1440663584.html&usg=ALkJrhiV35hHmfLHDsI25c2wv8tC9_UyZA

moskit
    Private
    Private

Developments taking place in the field of Electromagnetic rail guns in Russia

Post  moskit on Mon May 30, 2016 10:14 pm

Long live Russia,

Dear admins,

There are lot of fuss about the electromagnetic rail gun that the US developed and tested recently in media. It says sing its truly a game changing weapon and few analogues are there to challenge it> I would like to know how the Russians have done with that technology and what are there achievements in this field. Thank u,

Last edited by moskit on Tue May 31, 2016 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue May 31, 2016 1:58 pm

There are several limitations of rail guns... a major one being they need fairly significant power supplies to operate, which limits the sort of platforms that can operate them in the foreseable future to being large warships.

Having said that the Russians are working on their own designs.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

jhelb
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Post  jhelb on Tue May 31, 2016 9:24 pm

GarryB wrote:There are several limitations of rail guns... a major one being they need fairly significant power supplies to operate, which limits the sort of platforms that can operate them in the foreseable future to being large warships.

GarryB wrote:Having said that the Russians are working on their own designs.

Garry can you provide some more insight on this? What new design are you referring to? I suspect such ships will need to be nuclear powered.

magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  magnumcromagnon on Tue May 31, 2016 11:39 pm

GarryB wrote:There are several limitations of rail guns... a major one being they need fairly significant power supplies to operate, which limits the sort of platforms that can operate them in the foreseable future to being large warships.

Having said that the Russians are working on their own designs.

They had rail-less electro-magnetic guns, powered by electro-magneto batteries for about 2 decades now....with that being said the Russian MOD is rather conservative, and would (most of the time) conserve spending (the general trend of the last two decades) and prevent escalation of tensions. It's a card they rather not play until they absolutely had to...which explains why they stuck with the 125 mm caliber over the 152 mm caliber smoothbore MBT gun.

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:06 am

USS Zumwalt 78 MW powered ship is planning to use Railguns. As for the weapon being "new", they were first made in 1918 - the trick is to keep the barrel from wearing down too quickly with the very fast projectiles - which are also part of the electrical circuit, so it's a materials-science/tolerance problem, not a design problem.

If the barrel wears down after 10 shots and it won't fire anymore, it's not really a "superweapon". Wink

Why Navy can't have nice railguns

America’s New Superweapon Fails to take Russia and China by Surprise

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:12 pm

Garry can you provide some more insight on this? What new design are you referring to? I suspect such ships will need to be nuclear powered.

AFAIK still secret...

http://sputniknews.com/military/20160530/1040475728/railgun-russia-us.html

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:14 pm

YEREVAN (Sputnik) — Russia has developed first radio-electronic weapons system based on so-called new physical principles, a United Instrument Manufacturing Corporation (UIMC) spokesperson told RIA Novosti on Thursday.

Read more: https://sputniknews.com/military/201610131046285777-russia-energy-weapons/

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:24 am

Current date/time is Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:24 am