Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

The vanishing of F-14 Tomcat and its replacement

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: The vanishing of F-14 Tomcat and its replacement

Post  GarryB on Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:13 am

Very simply the F-14 was an analog computer with bits all over the place not standardised and a bit of a nightmare to maintain and upgrade.

Having said that it had speed and range advantages over the Hornet.

the hornet was an IBM PC aircraft with a standard design and clear upgrade paths and modular plug and play sort of thing.

Much easier to upgrade and to maintain.

Performance could be improved with software updates.

the thing is that the hornet was the replacement for the tomcat so the tomcat stopped getting love which led to a difference in performance.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

BlackArrow
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Re: The vanishing of F-14 Tomcat and its replacement

Post  BlackArrow on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:24 pm

Ivan the Colorado wrote:
    BlackArrow wrote:Well I'm sorry if you can't look these thing up correctly

Care to provide an objective source? Looked through my books and the web and I can't seem to find anything other than probably BS pilot claims.
    - btw, there is no objective evidence as to how well AIM-54 or any other aerial weapons system has worked in that particular war. The USN fired the AIM-54 twice in combat and failed to hit targets - so what?
    It means that the AIM-54 is 0% reliable.
    I never said long-range missiles were old hat - I was referring to particular missile designs dating from the 1960s.
    The vanilla versions of the missiles, yes I agree. But modernized versions are not like the R-37 which is derived from the R-33. Development of the R-37 is still ongoing as well. You wouldn't say that the AIM-9X is outdated despite being fundamentally based on a design that was conceived in the 1950's.

Care to provide an objective source? Looked through my books and the web and I can't seem to find anything other than probably BS pilot claims.

Is there such athing as an objective source - what woukld be an objective source in the Iran-Iraq war? Actually I believe the Iraqis themselves admit that at least one of their aircraft were shot down by F-14.

What do you have to say to the R-27 missile almost 100% fail rate in the in the Erithrean-Ethiopian war in the 1990s is R-27 a failure too.

The vanilla versions of the missiles, yes I agree. But modernized versions are not like the R-37 which is derived from the R-33. Development of the R-37 is still ongoing as well. You wouldn't say that the AIM-9X is outdated despite being fundamentally based on a design that was conceived in the 1950's.

Good, we can agree then. And BTW there is almost no commonality between an AIM-9B from the 1950s and today's AIM-9X.

Current date/time is Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:39 pm