Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Korean People's Army: News

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Korean People's Army: News

Post  sepheronx on Mon May 09, 2016 12:17 am

That is true, and I feel that their priorities are not necessarily in place. I would state that they should use money to concentrate on things like alternative resources and building new plants/training new people to be able to build/make/design new, well, anything from electronics to airframe composite materials, etc etc etc. Benefit behind those is they can translate a lot of that tech to other sectors that could build themselves up.

But seems priorities are just no in place. Hopefully they will realize this.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Mon May 09, 2016 12:32 am

d_taddei2 wrote:when i was there and asked the question about their military they said most of their equipment they managed to maintain themselves i am guessing through reverse engineering, and some help from China, Iran, and Belarus. But their airforce is pretty dire. But you wouldn't want to attack via ground operations against NK and not just by the size of their armed forces but more to the fact of the terrain and they have the biggest bunker system in the world which also includes underground airfields. They also use a lot of fakes as well, and have supplies in bunkers to last 6 months all out war, this includes fuel, food and ammo. They also have produced their own lasers to blind pilots. Not sure how effective their tank upgrades are though.

as some mentioned above, about food and fuel, i would this isn't so true anymore, food is not an issue when i was there last year and fuel didnt seem to be a problem either but fuel is kinda expensive but i am guessing due to international oil prices being low this has helped them.

Actually laser dazzler you are talking about is Chinese product, ZM-87 Portable Laser Disturber that they obtained in late 90s and early 2000s after China was forced to drop its producrement due to some international agreement.

Sure they have bunkers, but NATO, actually US developed types of warload with specific and only role of penetrating such fortifications, and they work well as shown in case of Iraq and Liybia.

Well i dont think they have food shortages in Pyongyang, its after all capital and everyone important and Party officials live there, hence thats why food is not the issue. However seems that common people outside capital and wast army feel food shortages whole time since USSR collapse, more or less depending on how crops perform that year.

So they do feel food and fuel shortages, however there are 2 issues. First one is that during certain periods NK leaders tried to show severe food shortages to get bigger food donations from South Korea, US and EU. And on other hand you have South Korea, Japan and USA that like showing NK as horrible and miserable place so they boost famine story over the border very often too. So yeah they do have food, fuel and electricity shortages, but they are not that huge as we might belive.

But judging by Red Cross since 1991. some 300.000 people died from famine, mostly during 1994-1998. due to bad crops and issues with electricity supply that happened during those years.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Mon May 09, 2016 12:35 am

sepheronx wrote:That is true, and I feel that their priorities are not necessarily in place.  I would state that they should use money to concentrate on things like alternative resources and building new plants/training new people to be able to build/make/design new, well, anything from electronics to airframe composite materials, etc etc etc.  Benefit behind those is they can translate a lot of that tech to other sectors that could build themselves up.

But seems priorities are just no in place.  Hopefully they will realize this.

For start they should invest in food processing and food growing, new tractors, harvesters, trucks, irrigation, pumps and electricity supply network and power generation. Building bunch of small hydro power plants, "wind farms", as majority of NK still does not have electricity and it is really one of the fundamentals of survival today. That would solve their 2 major issues with citizens.

We have one saying here which broadly translates as "Greatest weapon is bread".

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Mon May 09, 2016 12:37 am

Bunker busters are fine, but I imagine against traditional bunkers which consists of standard cement. Although, I am not sure NK would put much emphasis on building materials, let alone on bunkers.

As well, I imagine they take international donation structures for a long ride in order to get free goods, as you mentioned. There is so little of news from NK that you have to be like d_taddei and actually go to NK in order to understand what is happening.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Mon May 09, 2016 12:45 am

sepheronx wrote:Bunker busters are fine, but I imagine against traditional bunkers which consists of standard cement.  Although, I am not sure NK would put much emphasis on building materials, let alone on bunkers.

As well, I imagine they take international donation structures for a long ride in order to get free goods, as you mentioned.  There is so little of news from NK that you have to be like d_taddei and actually go to NK in order to understand what is happening.

Belive it or not, i met one guy from NK online, he was sort of college professor there in "IT", which was quite primitive i must admit. He was teaching "Web design" to selected few students, but only HTML and design via tables which is like literally late 90s way of building websites, so i "smuggled" him few CSS and HTML scans in english to study. I might even had impact on NK college studies haah Very Happy

Well NK apparently build few major facilities underground which are basically carved into fairly soft limestone and then walls and ceilings were reinforced and secured by steel reinforcing mesh and then sprayed with certain amount of concrete. So real protection there is the stone and earth above you.

But they have many smaller concrete bunkers for AA guns, coastal artillery and command posts, probably counted in hundreds.

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

Post  d_taddei2 on Mon May 09, 2016 5:33 am

first point i wanted to ask was the guy who you had contact with this college professor i presume he was in China at the time or did you meet him in person? as there is no internet in NK only intranet which only cover the country not outside.

Another point on food, there was abundance of food and not just in the capital i went to other cities and towns i was there for 10 days, and electricity wasn't problem, hydro electric dams are in use and more being built.
    Food processing and farms were a plenty and in fact NK were changing some of their crops when i was their to maize as you dont need as much water for this compared to rice. tractors and farm machinery was present but i agree more are needed, but you have to remember every person in the country needs to spend 2 weeks a year helping farmers so there isn't a shortage of manpower. There was also many construction projects going on in the country everywhere i went builders were busy. Wind farms would also be ideal as mentioned, but one thing to remember is the current sanctions on the country which is probably the most brutal that has been placed on any country to date.

As for the bunkers, some are natural caves but many are also of a very solid construction, as for NATO and USA have capable bombs, yes they do have capable bombs but the problem is not the bombs but just how many they would need the bunkers stretch throughout the country and many under thick forest, NK have a policy which they make everyone turn lights off at night as they think it hampers satellites taking pictures of NK which may or may not hamper them or makes it harder to locate sites. Bunker busting bombs ain't cheap and it would be too costly even for NATO and USA to destroy them all by this method. And you also have dummy/fake sites as well would NATO and USA be willing to drop bunker bombs or other expensive bombs on something that might be nothing. I personally think a land assault would be suicidal for NATO and USA and South Korea. And you have to remember NK shares borders with China and Russia who would secretly help NK.

but dont get me wrong the armed forces and infrastructure and economy isn't brilliant but its doing better than the west would like it too and for that reason don't want to show that it is, and want to show a dire story which isn't true. NK are building there own cars have their own version of an Ipad which i am told is almost as good as one as the chinese wanted them because they were cheap but good, and to be honest they did look really good.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Mon May 09, 2016 5:46 am

d_taddei2 wrote:first point i wanted to ask was the guy who you had contact with this college professor i presume he was in China at the time or did you meet him in person? as there is no internet in NK only intranet which only cover the country not outside.

Another point on food, there was abundance of food and not just in the capital i went to other cities and towns i was there for 10 days, and electricity wasn't problem, hydro electric dams are in use and more being built.
    Food processing and farms were a plenty and in fact NK were changing some of their crops when i was their to maize as you dont need as much water for this compared to rice. tractors and farm machinery was present but i agree more are needed, but you have to remember every person in the country needs to spend 2 weeks a year helping farmers so there isn't a shortage of manpower. There was also many construction projects going on in the country everywhere i went builders were busy. Wind farms would also be ideal as mentioned, but one thing to remember is the current sanctions on the country which is probably the most brutal that has been placed on any country to date.

As for the bunkers, some are natural caves but many are also of a very solid construction, as for NATO and USA have capable bombs, yes they do have capable bombs but the problem is not the bombs but just how many they would need the bunkers stretch throughout the country and many under thick forest, NK have a policy which they make everyone turn lights off at night as they think it hampers satellites taking pictures of NK which may or may not hamper them or makes it harder to locate sites. Bunker busting bombs ain't cheap and it would be too costly even for NATO and USA to destroy them all by this method. And you also have dummy/fake sites as well would NATO and USA be willing to drop bunker bombs or other expensive bombs on something that might be nothing. I personally think a land assault would be suicidal for NATO and USA and South Korea. And you have to remember NK shares borders with China and Russia who would secretly help NK.

but dont get me wrong the armed forces and infrastructure and economy isn't brilliant but its doing better than the west would like it too and for that reason don't want to show that it is, and want to show a dire story which isn't true. NK are building there own cars have their own version of an Ipad which i am told is almost as good as one as the chinese wanted them because they were cheap but good, and to be honest they did look really good.

Actually he was in NK, they have 4 computers on college only for professors that can be used to access "World Wide Web" to obtain materials for teaching or some research. However they can use it only under supervision, i assumed its someone from the gov.

Actually each spring for almost 2 months almost half of the armed forces is sent to work in fields till planting season ends.

From what i am aware cars built in NK are Chinese designs being assembled there and some reverse engineered cars from Fiat-Mercedes and South Korean SsangYong Motors. But output sems to be very low, couple hundred cars yearly combined as they do not have market to sell it. They did tho produce for very long time some Soviet military trucks knockoffs, but i am not sure what happens now with those.

When its about their mobile phone production i must say i first time hear about something like that, i am not aware of them being capable producing chips or memories needed for phones/tablets. Those are most likely just Chinese rebrands.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Mon May 09, 2016 5:47 am

I would imagine, with areas flooded to create dams or other hydroelectric stations, and with its agricultural use over the years, there would be an abundant amount of natural gas there, much like Burma as an example is growing natural gas use.

If not, then yes, wind turbines is very much ideal and that is something they can easily do themselves.

There is also the Rason economic zone where it would possibly be idea to build an gas power plant with Russia, while Russia transports gas to the plant to be processed for rest of NK.

Good to hear they are building more into hydroelectric and other facilities.

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

Post  d_taddei2 on Wed May 11, 2016 3:51 am

A US Army general says North Korea has some of the world's best hackers

http://www.techinsider.io/north-korea-worlds-best-hackers-2016-5

North Korea's conventional military of aging Soviet jets and tanks can't compete against the high-tech military of the US, but its capabilities in cyber warfare keep on getting better, according to a top US Army general.

"This is an area of growth," Gen. Vincent Brooks told Senate leaders last month. "While I would not characterize them as the best in the world, they are among the best in the world and the best organized."

Brooks was speaking before the Senate Armed Services Committee for a hearing regarding his nomination to take over all forces in South Korea. The 57-year-old general took over that post late last month.

"They seem to be more and more willing to do this [hacking]," Brooks said. "They have in fact, electronically attacked US companies."

North Korea is often dismissed as a backwards totalitarian regime with little technology — sometimes illustrated by a lack of electricity as seen from space — but it has invested heavily in cyber, which in some ways, allows a nation-state with few resources to inflict real-world damage.

"Given North Korea's bleak economic outlook, [offensive cyber operations] may be seen as a cost effective way to develop asymmetric, deniable military options," reads a 2013 DoD report. In other words, while North Korea may not be able to hurt a Goliath like the US or South Korea with guns or missiles, it sees hacking as a cheaper way of getting to that result.

According to a 2014 CNBC report, the Hermit Kingdom has pursued cyber warfare since the 1980's, and has targeted banks, universities, and other organizations, mainly in South Korea. But perhaps its biggest hack yet came with the breach of Sony Pictures, which saw the leak of unreleased films and embarrassing emails of studio executives in 2014.

Attributing a cyber attack to a nation-state can be difficult, given that hackers often hide behind proxy servers and mask their tracks, but intelligence officials at the time told the Washington Post they had "99% certainty" that North Korea was behind the Sony hack.

As the book "Hacked World Order" detailed, evidence of the Hermit Kingdom being behind the attack was further bolstered by the Snowden leaks, which revealed the NSA had placed "covert implants" in routers and firewalls around the world, which would give the intelligence agency great insight into where an attack came from. And later comments from FBI Director James Comey were clear:

"We could see that the IP addresses they used ... were IPs that were exclusively used by the North Koreans. It was a mistake by them. It was a very clear indication of who was doing this. They would shut it off very quickly once they realized the mistake, but not before we saw them and knew where it was coming from."

North Korea has approximately 6,000 trained hackers in its military ranks, a defector from the country told the BBC. The defector taught computer science at a Pyongyang University and said many of his former students went on to the hacking unit known as Bureau 121.

Little is known about the North Korea's cyberwarfare agency, though it does seem to employ considerable computer expertise. With its Sony Pictures breach, the hackers used a common method to gain access called spear-phishing and were able to steal credentials for a systems administrator, enabling them to burrow inside the systems for at least two months to map out their plan of attack.

"They were incredibly careful, and patient," one person briefed on the investigation told The New York Times.

That an Army general would warn of North Korea's growing progress in cyberspace comes as the Pentagon ramps up its own efforts in what it calls the "cyber domain" after the release of a new cyber strategy in April 2015. In it, the military proposed 133 teams for its "cyber mission force" by 2018, 27 of which were directed to support combat missions by "generating integrated cyberspace effects in support of ... operations." (Effects is a common military term used for artillery and aircraft targeting, and soldiers proclaim "good effect on target" to communicate a direct hit).

A Pentagon spokesperson told Tech Insider the numbers breakdown for the cyber mission force would be more than 4,300 personnel. But only about 1,600 of those would be on a "combat mission team" that would likely be considered to be taking an offensive hacking role.

Still, the US military recently used hackers against ISIS as others fought on the ground in February, quite possibly for the first time ever.

"These are strikes that are conducted in the war zone using cyber essentially as a weapon of war," Defense Secretary Ash Carter told NPR. "Just like we drop bombs, we're dropping cyber bombs."

For Brooks, he sees North Korean hackers as a threat to be taken seriously, telling Senate leaders he was "not optimistic about the direction that North Korea is going."

But when pressed on whether the US could respond with a "counterattack that can do harm on them," Brooks pushed to answer that only in a classified briefing, but, he said, "that is an option that is available."

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Mon May 16, 2016 8:53 am

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:43 am

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:29 pm

North Korea building bigger submarine pens

North Korea is building fortified structure with what appears to be two covered docks that could shelter ballistic missile submarines, IHS Jane's Defence Weekly reports.

Located south of the Singpo shipyard and near the Mayang-do naval base on the east coast, the new facility could be the largest active military building project in North Korea presently, Jane's reported Friday.

Commercial satellite imagery reveals that construction of the base began sometime between August 2009 and November 2012, Jane's said.

Much of the 6,000-square-meter harbor seen in 2009 had been blocked off by a sea wall and filled in by November 2012, with soil from surrounding hills likely used for filling material, the report states.

Construction of the new pier had commenced by October 2013, Janes says, and the docks were taking shape by July 2014.

The steel structures over the docks were being set and concrete slabs had been laid to form the roofs by mid-2015.May 2015 imagery showed the two pens are about 490 feet long, 32 feet wide and about 46 feet apart.

Satellite imagery from May 8 showed that pen construction had progressed to the point where portions were being covered with earth, and the new pier was nearing completion, Jane's reports.

airstrike
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  airstrike on Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:04 pm

Hyundai Rotem to produce K806 and K808 wheeled armored vehicles for the South Korean Army

http://echelon-defense.com/2016/09/14/kpe-displays-its-bars-8x8-infantry-combat-vehicle-a-joint-south-african-kazakh-project/

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:26 pm

"Peoples' Friendship Aviation Festival - 2016" in North Korea

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2148398.html

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:41 am