Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+44
miketheterrible
thegopnik
lyle6
Scorpius
SeigSoloyvov
The-thing-next-door
Kimppis
xeno
HUNTER VZLA
syunsan
Walther von Oldenburg
DTA
Boshoed
PapaDragon
max steel
Arctic_Fox
Sunbeam
Vann7
Book.
2SPOOKY4U
Regular
OminousSpudd
Airbornewolf
Zivo
collegeboy16
flamming_python
Manov
VladimirSahin
Morpheus Eberhardt
As Sa'iqa
CosPetia
NationalRus
KomissarBojanchev
magnumcromagnon
AlfaT8
higurashihougi
Mike E
Werewolf
Viktor
GarryB
TR1
Admin
Stealthflanker
sepheronx
48 posters

Video Games Thread

GarryB
    GarryB

Video Games Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Video Games Thread

Post  GarryB Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:28 am

Watched a video about the Metro series and it turns out the company that makes it is pretty much made up of the Ukrainians that used to make Stalker.

It seems in the early days when there were dozens of people working there there were only three cars in the car park... one super sports car worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, a nice BMW type vehicle and an old clunker car and everyone else took the bus... the distribution of money did not in any way equate to the distribution of labour so a large portion of coders left the company and created their own.... 4C or something like that.

They had all the Stalker stuff but needed a new game and got together with a Russian writer who wrote the story of Metro based loosely on the same stories Stalker was based on.

Effectively they are a Ukrainian company.

They have a new game out about an American marine who was a guard in Moscow who survived in the Metro and escaped across Russia with other members from the exodus game. The new game is about heading down to Vladivostok and taking an Akula SSBN... powering her up and sailing her home to the US to see his dad...

The Russian Army completed its combat simulation systems started by the Germans when the Germans cut ties, so they clearly have computer programmers who can code highly detailed models of all the weapons currently used by the Russian military including vehicles and equipment as well as enemy weapons and equipment... it would be interesting to see them put out a game...
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:21 pm

GarryB wrote:Watched a video about the Metro series and it turns out the company that makes it is pretty much made up of the Ukrainians that used to make Stalker
    Effectively they are a Ukrainian company.

You didn't know this???

Also, I just read the plot on wiki and just as I said they retconed the previous games to fit their (and writer's) nu-liberal agenda. Now humanity is no longer extinct, NATO ''liberated'' most of Russia and Moscow has been kept in isolation because of Kremlin conspiracy (shocker)

Ukrainian game start to finish, I won't be touching this crap especially now when we have more superior stuff than ever (Ace Combat alone blows Metro out of the water), hell we even have Sony porting every single PS exclusive minus Good of War and don't get me started on Microsoft releasing entire Halo series on PC

The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

Post  The-thing-next-door Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:35 pm

Just came across this today it seems to be a Russian alternative to unreal engine or unity.

According to thier website Almaz Antei uses thier products.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:45 pm

The-thing-next-door wrote:Just came across this today it seems to be a Russian alternative to unreal engine or unity.

I think it is useful for more than just games and product visualization. It could almost be used as a 3D CAD system to do initial
    product design. Congratulations to the authors.

Russia, a gas station posing as a country.

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:57 pm

Nice advances in fluid simulations with GPUs. The coarse resolution results are already good enough for most interactive games.
    No need to make them super high res.

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:37 pm

kvs wrote:
    The-thing-next-door wrote:Just came across this today it seems to be a Russian alternative to unreal engine or unity.

I think it is useful for more than just games and product visualization.   It could almost be used as a 3D CAD system to do initial
    product design.   Congratulations to the authors.  

Russia, a gas station posing as a country.

Dude, here's your COMPAS, welcome:
    https://kompas.ru/

Just to avoid misunderstandings: I studied 3D modeling and drawing in Russian CAD more than 10 years ago. In reality, this CAD has its roots in the eighties.
    Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:31 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    Kimppis wrote:Karlin: Is Metro Exodus Russophobic?
    http://www.unz.com/akarlin/is-metro-exodus-russophobic/

So we have this:

...In the post-nuclear apocalypse, the surviving members of the Russian state at the Yamantau mountain base habr degenerated into a pack of crazed man-eaters literally feeding on local Russians. Or maybe they were always such.

They chief says, “We are the government that you deserve.”...

Yeah, this game is way too subtle for me. I thing I'll give this one a pass.

Besides, Cyberpunk 2077 should come along by the time I get back into gaming anyway...  thumbsup

Sorry to answer such a long-standing post, but I have to say this:
    1. Glukhovsky is a completely crazy anti-Russian asshole. This becomes clear when you read his books, especially the third book - "Metro 2034".
    2. Authors of the game "Metro" are also anti-Russian and anti-Soviet, but even they were too shy to be so morons - you need to read Glukhovsky's books to understand how strong the difference in the scenario between the game and the books is. It's just that the book script is so shitty that even a Western audience couldn't chew it.
    3. There was no government in the Yamantau bunker - it was the military that built and maintained the bunker, and the real government never got there. This is quite clear from the plot of the game (in the book this was not at all, the surviving minor government officials in the story of the book were hiding in Metro-2, and all the action is limited to the district of Moscow and the nearest Moscow region, where radio wave jammers were installed).
    4. There is an obvious trend in the mass media: the farther away the USSR is in time, the more shit they try to pour on it. I would not be surprised if in 10-20 years the narrative that the USSR was WORSE than the Nazis finally spreads in the West.

kvs likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:37 am

On a more positive note... in 20 years time will Americas allies still be accepting their freshly printed monopoly money, because I suspect the rest of the world wont be and America will have a hard time getting the materials and resources it needs to survive...

What happens when a country with the military power of the US becomes openly bankrupt... what happens to the world when the bankers only have play money that no one else wants to trade with... I would say using military force to get what you want would be the natural solution which means countries around the world are going to want access to lots of good quality weapons and alliances to protect themselves from a cannibalistic west...

Sounds like an interesting computer game idea...
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:58 am

Impressive for 96 kilobytes. Those 80 gigabyte standard FPS are puffed up to make them harder to pirate. But they
    also reflect the sloppy, hack programming.

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:13 pm

Scorpius wrote:...Sorry to answer such a long-standing post, but I have to say this:
    1. Glukhovsky is a completely crazy anti-Russian asshole. This becomes clear when you read his books, especially the third book - "Metro 2034".....

Fact that Glikhovsky was fanatical liberal retard was obvious since the first game, it was just displayed more subtly (relatively speaking that is, it's glaring as hell but not as much as in later games)

Scorpius wrote:...2. Authors of the game "Metro" are also anti-Russian and anti-Soviet, but even they were too shy to be so morons - you need to read Glukhovsky's books to understand how strong the difference in the scenario between the game and the books is. It's just that the book script is so shitty that even a Western audience couldn't chew it.....

This speaks volumes

He didn't want to sell right for movie adaptation to Hollywood because he insisted that is should take place in Russia

Hollywood suits probably read the draft and got worried about getting sued for racial hatred

Scorpius wrote:...3. There was no government in the Yamantau bunker - it was the military that built and maintained the bunker, and the real government never got there. This is quite clear from the plot of the game (in the book this was not at all, the surviving minor government officials in the story of the book were hiding in Metro-2, and all the action is limited to the district of Moscow and the nearest Moscow region, where radio wave jammers were installed)....

Just the whole premise of that book shows how off the deep end he is

Idea that rest of the world survived while Moscow is kept in the dark by evil government via radios shows not only his moronic political fantasies but also his failure to understand what made his original book popular: once you remove the factor of extermination of humanity entire story loses it's weight

After learning this ''plot twist'' I can't see myself playing previous two games ever again, entire story is redundant and the book's setting is converted to the most boring place in the whole fictional world

That guy is a retard and a hack, plain and simple

One hit wonder

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:01 pm

Who there wanted a cooperative shooter about the Eastern front? From the developers of War Thunder:

And also a game about Soviet partisans in 1941 (for fans of games such as Commandos and Desperados):

And of course, tactics about the war in Syria:

If someone here is interested in Russian-made games.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:11 pm

They need to get more open world RPG-style games out. Something like No Man's Sky would not be a bad idea but with better
    difficulty control and more realistic economics (all they do in that game is dial your storage slots and there is not much in terms
    of plot and story).

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:30 pm

kvs wrote:They need to get more open world RPG-style games out.    Something like No Man's Sky would not be a bad idea but with better
    difficulty control and more realistic economics (all they do in that game is dial your storage slots and there is not much in terms
    of plot and story).  

Well, that was already done. And so far no one has surpassed the result of these two games:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Rangers_(video_game)

PapaDragon likes this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:35 pm

Scorpius wrote:
    kvs wrote:They need to get more open world RPG-style games out.    Something like No Man's Sky would not be a bad idea but with better
    of plot and story).  

Well, that was already done. And so far no one has surpassed the result of these two games:

That is not what I am talking about. This is a sandbox game for children. I am talking about immersive FPS style
    as clear from the reference to No Man's Sky. Dragon Age Inquisition is another example of the type of game that
    Russian developers should put out.

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:01 pm

kvs wrote:
    Scorpius wrote:
    of plot and story).  

That is not what I am talking about.  This is a sandbox game for children.   I am talking about immersive FPS style
    as clear from the reference to No Man's Sky.   Dragon Age Inquisition is another example of the type of game that
    Russian developers should put out.

Space Rangers is clearly not a game for kids, man. Don't be fooled by a simple picture.

PapaDragon likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:26 pm

Atomic Heart looks interesting... it seems to have floating fluid as promised in Half Life 2 adverts from decades ago... (on some ads they had tendrils that appeared to be made of water coming out of water filled areas and attacking soldiers...)

In Atomic Heart the water tubes are much larger and look like if you climb inside them you can swim through them like water conduits defying gravity.

The graphics look rather impressive but it seems to be more crowbar batter the enemy to death rather than decent fire arms and weapons.

Anyone played it?

I did like the old Operation Flashpoint games... particularly the Red campaign with the the Russian issue weapons...
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:35 pm

Oh my, a video game is not dominated by trannies, pedophiles and all sorts of LGBTXYZ make believe genders demanding to be
    addressed with the right pronouns such as dragonkin.  

The thinking exhibited by these woke hacks posing as journalists is actually the same as with Navalny being called the "Russian
    opposition leader".   It does not matter that he has 2% support or that trannies and other gender disphoria patients do not
    make up much more than 2% of the population.   This fringe is the new majority.  

If anyone has any doubts about the totalitarian agenda of the PC woke vermin, then it is time to buy a clue.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:36 pm

The computer game market is tough... most game makers can't afford box office bombs to promote alternative lifestyle choices... they are in the game to make money so they can make more games...
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:33 pm

GarryB wrote:The computer game market is tough... most game makers can't afford box office bombs to promote alternative lifestyle choices... they are in the game to make money so they can make more games...

Yes, but they are not just stuck in some racist timewarp for profits.   They make games with current sensibilities.  So they do not denigrate
    minorities and push racist smear.    But the PC SJW drones want games to be propaganda.   They want all media to be propaganda for their
    perverse agenda.   I am never going to put some LGBTXYZ member on a pedestal.   They are nothing special and don't deserve worship
    without any actual accomplishment.   Their genitalia and sexual behaviour are not accomplishments to be applauded and statues erected.
    It is their private life and everyone has one.   But 98% do not get treated special because they have one.

zepia likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:19 am

Yes, but they are not just stuck in some racist timewarp for profits. They make games with current sensibilities.

Actually I think they are very much followers and creators of fashion and trends, but they also know that the alphabet family buy fuck all video games and even if they did they would find something to be offended about, so they don't even bother paying lip service to those fools.

The big motion picture companies however have been told by their own awards systems that if they don't have these fringe elements front and centre then they wont get any attention so they think no publicity means no money at the box office, but of course the reality is that pandering to the tiny percentage of the movie going population or subscription paying public is suicide when you turn off the bulk of your audience who want new ghostbusters movies that are not some statement of femenism... did anyone manage to sit through that all girl ghost busters movie?

Were all the evil ghosts rich white old men like US presidential candidates?

Were the ghosts women and people of colour too?

kvs likes this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:06 pm

So Cyberpunk 2077 is a let down primarily because management decided to ride the laurels. This is a wider degeneration
    than just for the games industry. Managers who do not know what actual development is but are trained in cookie cutter
    "management skills" default to assuming that their latest project will get done because they will just squeeze the workers
    some more. Such clown ass managers also love to throw way more resources into advertising their unfinished product
    than is needed. You can see this advertisement fetish in Big Pharma as well. The budget for R&D is less than the
    advertising budget.

In general R&D is viewed as red ink so all the "genius" managers always try to downsize it. This retardation occurs even if
    the company exists due to R&D. If you want your company to succeed do not hire off the shelf managers and grow your
    own in house who have to start at the bottom and reach the top.

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:37 pm

This is why I always keep an eye open for new games from small studios, almost every single new AAA game has been bloated buggy dogshit bar some exceptions (mostly from Japan)

It's also why I keep backup copies of my favourite games safely stored away just in case

Mirror's Edge, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Mass Effect 1, Halo, Republic Commando, Fallout 1 & 3, Life is Strange, Alien Isolation, Valkyria Chronicles, Splinter Cell 1,2 & 3, FreeSpace 2, Wing Commander Saga, Sleeping Dogs, etc... I could play this stuff all the time and not get bored

The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

Post  The-thing-next-door Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:13 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    This is why I always keep an eye open for new games from small studios, almost every single new AAA game has been bloated buggy dogshit bar some exceptions (mostly from Japan)

It's also why I keep backup copies of my favourite games safely stored away just in case

Mirror's Edge, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Mass Effect 1, Halo, Republic Commando, Fallout 1 & 3, Life is Strange, Alien Isolation, Valkyria Chronicles, Splinter Cell 1,2 & 3, FreeSpace 2, Wing Commander Saga, Sleeping Dogs, etc... I could play this stuff all the time and not get bored

How have you back your games up exactly? Directory duplicates or something more advanced?

Also I could not help but notice that you omitted fallout 2 and new vegas.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:37 pm

The-thing-next-door wrote:How have you back your games up exactly? Directory duplicates or something more advanced?

Just good old fashioned software piracy, cracked .exe files and external hard drive

I don't trust game companies to keep old games available especially now when everyone and their grandma is running their own online game store

Better safe than sorry

The-thing-next-door wrote:Also  I could not help but notice that you omitted fallout 2 and new vegas.

They are pretty good but Fallout 2 was kinda all over the place, story was becoming more comedic and self referential and pop culture references were already old even when game was released

New Vegas has some of those same problems but even worse was Caesar's Legion, those assholes were wearing nothing but panties but could take more damage than a super mutant in heavy armor even though they were supposed to be just normal humans

I know it's a game but they still need to at least try to get it to make some sense

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:08 pm

PapaDragon wrote: They are pretty good but Fallout 2 was kinda all over the place, story was becoming more comedic and self referential and pop culture references were already old even when game was released

New Vegas has some of those same problems but even worse was Caesar's Legion, those assholes were wearing nothing but panties but could take more damage than a super mutant in heavy armor even though they were supposed to be just normal humans

I know it's a game but they still need to at least try to get it to make some sense

You must be kidding, New Vegas is widely considered the best of the Fallout series across the board by the gaming community. New Vegas does everything better than Fallout 3: Better gameplay (combat, more roleplaying options), better story telling, better DLC's, better stability (Bethesda Studio games are notoriously buggy), and a vastly better modding support/community....and do you know what's the big kicker? Obsidian Studios managed to develop the main game under 2 years (18 months to be exact), while Fallout 3 took 7 years for the main game to be developed. Want to know an even bigger kicker? You can play the entirety of the Fallout 3 campaign and world space in Fallout: New Vegas through the Fallout: Tale of Two Wastelands mod:

New Vegas constantly gets massive new mods, like the massive (with a 12gb installer) Fallout New Vegas: New Frontier mod, which adds like another 100 hours of gameplay.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/68009

miketheterrible likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 pm