Scottish Ιndepedence Referendum 2014

arpakola

Scottish Ιndepedence Referendum 2014

Post  arpakola on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YkLPxQp_y0

Mike E

Re: Scottish Ιndepedence Referendum 2014

Post  Mike E on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Ohhh, it is so close! People are predicting that it will be fixed, which wouldn't surprise me based on fixings within the US.

- Nice picture there at the bottom. Laughing
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi on Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:07 pm

Mike E wrote: - Nice picture there at the bottom. Laughing

Off topic a bit, but in the Eastern countries, people will be probably punished if displaying "seven dirty words" in open, public area like this. Probably the Western society are more flexible and open-minded in such issues.

Sometime, the differences between cultures are quite interesting, at least for me.

Anyway, aside from Ireland, seems like nationalist movement of the Scots is the strongest amongst non-England UK.
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca on Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:56 pm

Sorry but people who want to liberate themselves from slavery are not nationalists necessarily and there is no nationalist insurgence in Scotland and I say this despite being nationalist  myself.
    They are simply Scots who do the ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL for their nation.
    Those who don't vote for freedom are fucking degenerate subs.
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:08 pm

Hannibal Barca wrote:Sorry but people who want to liberate themselves from slavery are not nationalists necessarily and there is no nationalist insurgence in Scotland and I say this despite being nationalist  myself.
    They are simply Scots who do the ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL for their nation.
    Those who don't vote for freedom are fucking degenerate subs.

Okay... but for me, nationalism is a good thing. And I say that there is a nationalist movement, nothing about insurgence. There is no violence in the movement.

Or may be, did I misunderstand the concept of nationalism and insurgence ?
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:27 pm

There is no insurgence in Scotland and in principle nationalism is against internal insurgences (rebellions) because loyalty to the rules of the state is essential for the nationalists.
    For example Svoboda's open rebellion against the elected Ukrainian president is not an act of a nationalist movement. I don't know what they claim they are but this is not adequate to the principles. Fighting against your own people is forbidden:

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

Ō ksein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tēide
    keimetha, tois keinōn rhēmasi peithomenoi.

"Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
    That here, obedient to Spartan law, we lie."
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Not really, nationalism requires the loyal to the nation, and after all, "nation" (民族) is different from "state" (國家) or "goverment" (政權).

And I do not think it is accurate to describe the Scots patriots as "rebel". The independence movement in Scotland is very peaceful and has no violence.
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:54 pm

Not really, nationalism requires the loyal to the nation, and after all, "nation" (民族) is different from "state" (國家) or "goverment" (政權).

Indeed. This is a little subtle.

And I do not think it is accurate to describe the Scots patriots as "rebel". The independence movement in Scotland is very peaceful and has no violence.

I said Scotland's case is perfectly clear, no doubt about that. I was not referring to pro-independents as rebels. To the contrary, I don't even classify them as nationalists.
    Indeed the term patriots should be the best one.
    George1

Post  George1 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:08 pm

Former SNP Leader Rules Out Second Referendum Until Polls Improve

Former leader of the now governing Scottish National Party said that there is no prospect of a second Scottish independence referendum until opinion polls begin to show consistent majority support for a break from the UK.

EDINBURGH, January 09 (Sputnik), Mark Hirst – There is no prospect of a second Scottish independence referendum until opinion polls begin to show consistent majority support for a break from the UK, Gordon Wilson, a former leader of the now governing Scottish National Party (SNP) told Sputnik Friday.

"Realistically there is no prospect of another referendum for the time being and then a mandate would need to be sought from a Scottish Parliament election. I suspect the people will dictate the decision," Wilson told Sputnik, adding that support for independence needs to poll above 55 percent before it would be worthwhile.

The former MP's comments came after Alex Salmond, who stood down as SNP leader following the rejection of the Scottish independence referendum last September, told a regional Scottish newspaper that his party was no longer working to secure independence.

Asked by Sputnik whether Salmond's comments reflected the views of the newly elected leadership led by Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, Wilson said, "I am sure that Alex [Salmond] has consulted Nicola."

"The object is not a referendum per se but a means to independence. Only a UK EU referendum could alter the time scale," Wilson told Sputnik, adding that he approved of Salmond's target "of what amounts to confederation as a high stake for the UK General Election".

Robin McAlpine, a political strategist and director of the pro-independence think tank "Common Weal," told Sputnik that he believed that work should begin on securing a second independence referendum by 2020. He agreed with Wilson's point of view, stating that he would not like to "go into a referendum until we are looking at consistent 50 percent support in the polls." McAlpine called for a strategy to raise a 50-60 percent level of support first before going into a referendum.

Scottish voters took part in a referendum on independence on 18th September. The result was 55 per cent support for remaining part of the UK, with 45 per cent supporting independence for Scotland.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:26 pm