Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Share

    nemrod
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 806
    Points : 1309
    Join date : 2012-09-11

    RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  nemrod on Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:10 pm

    http://www.voltairenet.org/article185324.html

    Another prowess of russian electronic warfare happened recenltly -april 2014- against Nato's state of the art electronic hardware. The amazement reached a such point that 27 US sailors inside the USS Donald Cook -equipped with 4 huge radars- asked to be transfered in another posts. Indeed, SU-24 completly disabled the AEGIS system, leaving this vessel completly blind and deaf. The SU-24 in order to mock US device waged 12 simultations of attack. After that, US fleet realizing that were defenseless, decided to come back to Romania.
    Vladimir Balybine -high responsible of russian research center of electronic warfare-, said the following comment :


    More complexe a system is, more simple is to break its running by using electronic warfare.

    It prove again, that US are still believing their own hoax, and they are considering that they are unvulnerable, nevertheless,  the facts in the past, as in present prove the contrary, undoubltly it will be the same case in the future. Unfortunetly, -believing again their hoax- they are decided to attack Syria, but this time iam sure we are witnessing of one of the most wonderfull firework above syrian sky, but this time it will be with US aircrafts as EF-18, F-22, F-16, and F-15 to be reduced in dust. The fireworks will include even the F-35, if US dare.


    Evindently, you can count on these filthy bastards of CNN, Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, Aljazerah, Sky, TF1 etc...to say the truth about this incident.

    Bravo Russia!

    Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2789
    Points : 2853
    Join date : 2014-06-18
    Location : Bay Area, CA

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  Mike E on Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:14 pm

    I thought that the "hacking incident" was just made up...

    Airbornewolf
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

    Posts : 338
    Points : 400
    Join date : 2014-02-05
    Location : netherlands

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  Airbornewolf on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:08 pm

    Mike E wrote:I thought that the "hacking incident" was just made up...

    well, i did not want to jump to conclusions either at the time.

    but i asked some airforce guys i knew from Afghanistan's KAF.

    appearantly according to them all those TU-95 excursions into europe and last time the U.S coastline is to precisely test such Electronic Warfare equipment out by "passive testing". their electronics "suck-up" NATO millitary electronic signals and by way of DFRM (digital radio frequency Memory) its stored for later use. Dutch F-16 technicians have concerns that with all the TU-95's the F-16's "intercepted" that the Russians can now "chew" trough any encryption they use because the encryption just changes codes...but never the encryption tech itself. and its not just the F-16's. they fly over naval bases, radar stations, airfields...etc.

    and what happened in the story of the Cooke trying to lock-on on the SU-24's is an textbook DFRM attack. the ships fire control radar attempts to lock on the SU. but receives and friendly signal from the Electronic warfare module. the crew reported the fire control refused to lock on, and when it got closer the CIWS just ignored the order to lock-on.

    and it pretty much escalated from there, the Cooke lost all control over its systems from there. fire control, radar, sonar, EAGIS, BMS. the crew said they just had basic navigation control of the ship itself as one after another just "went dark".

    i wondered myself a lot about how DFRM could eat its way trough an entire ship, but before i excited service we had our own "modernisation" program called BMS. that stands for Battlefield Management system. it allows individual units to see the battlefield on an Command and Conquer-style view in real time. where enemy units are , friendly units. etc etc.

    but, and here is the snake in this high tech gadget. the BMS system shares data to any sensor/fire computer on board that allows targeting an target outside the firing's unit detection. for example, this Eagis cruiser might not see enemy missiles on its radar. but trough another radar-station like an AWACS it can use its radar data to target its weapons nonetheless and do not get an "invalid target" feedback from its firing computer. it just accepts the incomming remote data as if it was its own to target its weapons. awesome in theory, but clearly as the Russians showed its an deadly mistake in weapon design. its like giving an program on your own computer Admin rights to share data computer-wide from the outside. couple that with DFRM and you are asking for the apocalypse.

    in my opinion, its just arrogance of NATO to never even consider someone can use such networked systems against you.

    Basically, the Russians "chewed" their way trough the Cruiser its network and all it takes is sending something like an virus to one of its linked computers to eat its way trough its electronic heart.

    Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5390
    Points : 5639
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  Werewolf on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:08 pm

    +1

    Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2789
    Points : 2853
    Join date : 2014-06-18
    Location : Bay Area, CA

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  Mike E on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:11 pm

    Airbornewolf wrote:
    Mike E wrote:I thought that the "hacking incident" was just made up...

    well, i did not want to jump to conclusions either at the time.

    but i asked some airforce guys i knew from Afghanistan's KAF.

    appearantly according to them all those TU-95 excursions into europe and last time the U.S coastline is to precisely test such Electronic Warfare equipment out by "passive testing". their electronics "suck-up" NATO millitary electronic signals and by way of DFRM (digital radio frequency Memory) its stored for later use. Dutch F-16 technicians have concerns that with all the TU-95's the F-16's "intercepted" that the Russians can now "chew" trough any encryption they use because the encryption just changes codes...but never the encryption tech itself. and its not just the F-16's. they fly over naval bases, radar stations, airfields...etc.

    and what happened in the story of the Cooke trying to lock-on on the SU-24's is an textbook DFRM attack. the ships fire control radar attempts to lock on the SU. but receives and friendly signal from the Electronic warfare module. the crew reported the fire control refused to lock on, and when it got closer the CIWS just ignored the order to lock-on.

    and it pretty much escalated from there, the Cooke lost all control over its systems from there. fire control, radar, sonar, EAGIS, BMS. the crew said they just had basic navigation control of the ship itself as one after another just "went dark".

    i wondered myself a lot about how DFRM could eat its way trough an entire ship, but before i excited service we had our own "modernisation" program called BMS. that stands for Battlefield Management system. it allows individual units to see the battlefield on an Command and Conquer-style view in real time. where enemy units are , friendly units. etc etc.

    but, and here is the snake in this high tech gadget. the BMS system shares data to any sensor/fire computer on board that allows targeting an target outside the firing's unit detection. for example, this Eagis cruiser might not see enemy missiles on its radar. but trough another radar-station like an AWACS it can use its radar data to target its weapons nonetheless and do not get an "invalid target" feedback from its firing computer. it just accepts the incomming remote data as if it was its own to target its weapons. awesome in theory, but clearly as the Russians showed its an deadly mistake in weapon design. its like giving an program on your own computer Admin rights to share data computer-wide from the outside. couple that with DFRM and you are asking for the apocalypse.

    in my opinion, its just arrogance of NATO to never even consider someone can use such networked systems against you.

    Basically, the Russians "chewed" their way trough the Cruiser its network and all it takes is sending something like an virus to one of its linked computers to eat its way trough its electronic heart.
    Wow! That is a ton of info, thanks... Very Happy That does make sense, and I can asked a couple technical friends of mine about it.

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15458
    Points : 16165
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  GarryB on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:57 pm

    appearantly according to them all those TU-95 excursions into europe and last time the U.S coastline is to precisely test such Electronic Warfare equipment out by "passive testing". their electronics "suck-up" NATO millitary electronic signals

    Now if the west still had a functioning questioning media they might mention all those Bears being intercepted had large radars on their bellies and were actually SIGINT aircraft and not actually Long range Cruise Missile Carriers... the only Russian heavy bomber is the Tu-22M3 that actually carries lots of bombs.

    The Russian equivalent of BMS is Sigma.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2789
    Points : 2853
    Join date : 2014-06-18
    Location : Bay Area, CA

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  Mike E on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:02 pm

    GarryB wrote:
    appearantly according to them all those TU-95 excursions into europe and last time the U.S coastline is to precisely test such Electronic Warfare equipment out by "passive testing". their electronics "suck-up" NATO millitary electronic signals

    Now if the west still had a functioning questioning media they might mention all those Bears being intercepted had large radars on their bellies and were actually SIGINT aircraft and not actually Long range Cruise Missile Carriers... the only Russian heavy bomber is the Tu-22M3 that actually carries lots of bombs.

    The Russian equivalent of BMS is Sigma.
    Funny, I never knew that and all photos seem to indicate the -95RT.

    F-15E
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 103
    Points : 94
    Join date : 2014-09-04

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  F-15E on Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:50 pm

    27 sailors asked to be transfered  in other potsts. BS lol!

    They claim that the Aegis system was disabled ,How do they know? They can't see our computer screens or any other metric that would allow them to know.

    Another BS. lol!

    nemrod
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 806
    Points : 1309
    Join date : 2012-09-11

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  nemrod on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:23 pm


    Here is the english version :
    http://www.voltairenet.org/article185860.html

    F-15E
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 103
    Points : 94
    Join date : 2014-09-04

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  F-15E on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:28 pm

    nemrod wrote:
    Here is the english version :
    http://www.voltairenet.org/article185860.html

    Is "voltairenet" a reliable source ?
    (Never heard about "voltairenet...")

    nemrod
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 806
    Points : 1309
    Join date : 2012-09-11

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  nemrod on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:35 pm

    F-15E wrote:
    Is "voltairenet" a reliable source ?
    Well...go to the dung beetle services like CNN, Fox, Abc, Aljazeera, TF1, France television, Sky news, etc.... Man, you have the choice Laughing If you want a shortcut go to Debkafile.


    F-15E wrote:
    (Never heard about "voltairenet...")
    Do you know a word that is called....culture ? You can find it here, really....

    magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4468
    Points : 4659
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:55 pm

    F-15E wrote:
    nemrod wrote:
    Here is the english version :
    http://www.voltairenet.org/article185860.html

    Is "voltairenet" a reliable source ?
    (Never heard about "voltairenet...")

    Your sources for articles are the Moscow Times, and Fox News, enough said... lol1 lol1 lol1

    OminousSpudd
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 803
    Points : 822
    Join date : 2015-01-02
    Age : 21
    Location : Nelson, New Zealand

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  OminousSpudd on Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:48 am

    Fascinating. I really didn't have enough info on this whole Donald Cook debacle, and although the initial rumours were exciting, I still held my tongue, hoping to get a solid report. This would appear to be that. Many thanks.

    Kyo
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 514
    Points : 563
    Join date : 2014-11-03
    Age : 67
    Location : Brasilia

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  Kyo on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:38 pm

    Another source:

    http://www.veteranstoday.com/2014/11/13/aegis-fail-in-black-sea-ruskies-burn-down-uss-donald-duck/

    Flyingdutchman
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 557
    Points : 577
    Join date : 2013-07-30
    Location : The Netherlands

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  Flyingdutchman on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:02 pm

    Still a pretty weird story Neutral
    Is aegis really that weak?

    TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5840
    Points : 5892
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  TR1 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:15 am

    No, this story is just obvious bullshit to anyone with half a set of brains.

    Su-24 doesn't carry Khibiny, it never has, and it never will.

    NickM
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Posts : 184
    Points : 131
    Join date : 2012-11-09
    Location : NYC,USA / Essex,UK

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  NickM on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:07 am

    This story is nothing more than mental masturbation.

    Aegis has never been jammed by any EW system. And how did the Russian pilots realize that it was a successful jam? Probably they got off their plane to take a look at the Aegis.

    Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2789
    Points : 2853
    Join date : 2014-06-18
    Location : Bay Area, CA

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  Mike E on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:52 am

    Flyingdutchman wrote:Still a pretty weird story Neutral
    Is aegis really that weak?
    It ain't weak but it ain't that strong either. AEGIS was originally written back in the 80's, getting improved over time. This means that, while updated, it won't have as strong base code as newer system. There is a point when code simply become out-of-date. 

    TR1, though I do not doubt you, the original ideas on this thread posted by airborne aren't outrageous.

    NickM, keep off of the crack pipe and crawl back under the rock of which you came.

    Kyo
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 514
    Points : 563
    Join date : 2014-11-03
    Age : 67
    Location : Brasilia

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  Kyo on Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:31 am

    TR1 wrote:No, this story is just obvious bullshit to anyone with half a set of brains.

    Su-24 doesn't carry Khibiny, it never has, and it never will.

    No. It does, according to this source.

    Description: The Russian Air Force Khibiny is an advanced aircraft-mounted electronic warfare (EW) system capable of jamming state-of-the-art air defense radar systems. The Khibiny jamming was tested successfully for some time on the ground in Buryatia, Russian Federation. On April 17, 2014, two Russian Air Force Su-24 bombers with no weapons loaded were sent to intercept the US Navy's AEGIS-equipped destroyer USS Donald Cook in the Black Sea. One of them flied around the destroyer up to 12 times while the other one remained away as done usually by both sides during the Cold War period. Unconfirmed reports suggest that the Su-24s were equipped with the Khibiny EW system and were able to neutralize the AEGIS phased array radar target tracking capabilities while the ship's crew was unable to re-boot the system. It is not clear whether the jammer affected the radar system itself or only the computer-based component or either both at the same time. The Russian Air Force plans call for the installation of the Khibiny jammer on all its advanced jets.

    http://www.deagel.com/Aircraft-Protection-Systems/Khibiny_a002981001.aspx

    TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5840
    Points : 5892
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  TR1 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:17 pm

    That source got its info from the freaking BS report in the first place.

    It is circular citing with no actual legitimate origin. Are you guys seriously incapable of analytical thought?

    All the good Russian mil blogs (no, not english ones, actually Russian ones) did an analysis of the Khibiny issue, conclusion: no Su-24s with it, ever.

    Kyo
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 514
    Points : 563
    Join date : 2014-11-03
    Age : 67
    Location : Brasilia

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  Kyo on Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:02 pm

    TR1 wrote:That source got its info from the freaking BS report in the first place.

    It is circular citing with no actual legitimate origin. Are you guys seriously incapable of analytical thought?

    All the good Russian mil blogs (no, not english ones, actually Russian ones) did an analysis of the Khibiny issue, conclusion: no Su-24s with it, ever.

    http://www.kp.ru/daily/26221.4/3104418/

    Airbornewolf
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

    Posts : 338
    Points : 400
    Join date : 2014-02-05
    Location : netherlands

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  Airbornewolf on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:07 pm

    TR1 wrote:That source got its info from the freaking BS report in the first place.

    It is circular citing with no actual legitimate origin. Are you guys seriously incapable of analytical thought?

    All the good Russian mil blogs (no, not english ones, actually Russian ones) did an analysis of the Khibiny issue, conclusion: no Su-24s with it, ever.

    why is it so hard to believe?. no offense, just trying to get an feeling for your point of view.
    i read trough my friend's intel reports comming from NATO from time to time. there it was also confirmed russian electronic warfare was deployed in Crimea when the russian troops to supress any Ukrainian army transmissions and mobile networks in the area of bases. and in the meanwhile the russian millitary was not affected by the jamming and maintained full C&C networks. NATO concluded simply "that it was not believed Russia would have such an modern capability". and as a side note, Crimea and its people wanted to re-unite with russia. and i fully support that.

    or, another example of russian EW capability. the hacking of an U.S drone over Crimea: http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/dr20140411-hacked-u-s-surveillance-drone-over-crimea-shows-new-face-of-warfare

    this was most propably an Predator UAV from Rammstein. but imagine when an EW unit manages to hack an armed UAV like an Reaper?. ive worked with the things in Afghanistan. the Predator and Reaper have the exact same software and communication parts. the only difference is that the reaper is meant for ground attack and the Predator is an long-term surveillance asset.

    and the things are just basically an flying computer controlled by an powerfull signal. but like any signal you can locally point a tight beam dish at it and suppress the signal its receiving, letting the predator switch to its auto-pilot and start attacking its firewalls without its operators being able to re-establish contact with the drone.

    its not rocket science either, even insurgents know how to partially acces NATO drones: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB126102247889095011


    so why is disabling an cruiser so far-fetched?.
    its what i criticized even before exiting service, NATO is too reliant on fancy networks and over complicated weapon systems.

    NATO is being very sloppy with their cyber security and Russia having developed effective means of targeting western NATO systems.




    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15458
    Points : 16165
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  GarryB on Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:37 pm

    The AEGIS system dates back to the 1980s and is probably written in ADA.

    To cover the screens in false targets... so snow the radar suggests jamming... the suggestion that the screens shut down and would not start up again suggests Hacking... very much what the Israelies did to Syria and lots of other countries likely do too.

    I suspect you don't believe it because it sounds too good to be true... Mr the Sky is falling...


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 732
    Points : 892
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    peoples views on this story?

    Post  d_taddei2 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:38 am

    hi i was wondering what peoples view was on this story? true or BS? its been on various websites and news channel

    http://www.deagel.com/Aircraft-Protection-Systems/Khibiny_a002981001.aspx

    Description: The Russian Air Force Khibiny is an advanced aircraft-mounted electronic warfare (EW) system capable of jamming state-of-the-art air defense radar systems. The Khibiny jamming was tested successfully for some time on the ground in Buryatia, Russian Federation. On April 17, 2014, two Russian Air Force Su-24 bombers with no weapons loaded were sent to intercept the US Navy's AEGIS-equipped destroyer USS Donald Cook in the Black Sea. One of them flied around the destroyer up to 12 times while the other one remained away as done usually by both sides during the Cold War period. Unconfirmed reports suggest that the Su-24s were equipped with the Khibiny EW system and were able to neutralize the AEGIS phased array radar target tracking capabilities while the ship's crew was unable to re-boot the system. It is not clear whether the jammer affected the radar system itself or only the computer-based component or either both at the same time. The Russian Air Force plans call for the installation of the Khibiny jammer on all its advanced jets.

    Airbornewolf
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

    Posts : 338
    Points : 400
    Join date : 2014-02-05
    Location : netherlands

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  Airbornewolf on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:31 pm


    Sponsored content

    Re: RuAF Su-24 jammed AEGIS system of USS Donald Cook in Black sea

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:52 pm


      Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:52 pm