Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

kvs
    kvs

Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News - Page 17 Empty Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

Post  kvs on Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:35 am

Gazputin wrote:personally I think just because the Saturn 5 was huge... doesn't mean it was right
    to me it was ridiculous
    what did they do with that fn great rocket after the Moon wanks ? …. nothing
    it had no secondary purpose at all …

it makes eminently more sense to me to launch components and assemble them in Earth's orbit on "sane sized" rockets at a space station

so my point is this ….
    who cares if the astronauts launch from Baikonur … ? on a Soyuz-5 ….

and Vostochny which will have the space freighter the Angara A-5 (non-human rated) sending up the bulk of the components … before hand
    why do they need to drill a new bigger tunnel ? at all ?

some of the upper stages currently used on Soyuz at Vostochny are flown in already …
    and lets face it most of the satellites will always be flown in too ….

I'd be amazed if the Soyuz-5 based "Super rocket" pad  "planned" for Vostochny  is ever built ….
    and if they need for some reason to get astronauts into orbit from Vostochny they've always got the Soyuz-2 pad …

if you have an orbiting "assembly" plant …. who needs a "super rocket" ? … for what  ?
    I don't buy it ...

The Soyuz 5 is the same modular concept as the Angara. The era of Saturn V and Energia "all or nothing" designs is over.
    They are pointlessly expensive and as you note, have no other use. Modular rockets are composed of high volume modules
    that serve all sorts of delivery roles and thus are much cheaper based on economies of scale. The difference between the
    Soyuz 5 and Angara is that the modules of the former are larger and more powerful. But these Zenit-like modules will be
    used as Zenit replacements and so the economies of scale are in play. Russia can afford to modular rocket designs and more.
    Its poverty is mostly propaganda sponsored from NATO and its 5th column.
    George1
    George1

Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News - Page 17 Empty Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

Post  George1 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:20 am

Russia’s Soyuz-6 to become prototype of super heavy rocket’s second stage — Roscosmos

https://tass.com/science/1077762

Current date/time is Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:46 pm