Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Share
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 11069
    Points : 11546
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  George1 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:49 pm

    Russia’s Energiya space corporation picked as chief developer of Soyuz-5 carrier rocket

    The first launch of the new Russian Soyuz-5 carrier rocket is scheduled for 2022

    MOSCOW, August 11. /TASS/. Russia’s Energiya Rocket and Space Corporation has been chosen as the chief developer of the new Russian Soyuz-5 medium-class carrier rocket, according to a statement posted on the corporation’s website on Friday.

    "The work is being carried out in compliance with a Russian government resolution where Energiya Rocket and Space Corporation has been defined as the chief developer of the space rocket complex," the statement says.

    The other contractors include Progress Rocket and Space Center and the Center for Operation of Ground-based Space Infrastructure Facilities.

    In addition to the rocket proper, the space rocket complex that will be developed by Energiya Corporation includes a medium-class carrier rocket, a DM acceleration unit and also ground-based infrastructure that should be upgraded.

    The first launch of the new Russian Soyuz-5 carrier rocket is scheduled for 2022 from the Baikonur space center. The rocket is expected to be subsequently maximally adapted for launches from the Sea Launch floating platform and then from the Vostochny spaceport in the Russian Far East. In 2024, the carrier rocket is planned to orbit a manned Federatsiya spacecraft with a crew on its board.

    The basic elements and technologies of the Soyuz-5 carrier rocket can be eventually used for developing a super-heavy launcher.

    Russia’s federal space program for 2016-2025 stipulates developing a new-generation medium-class space rocket complex (the Phoenix R&D work) from 2018 to 2025. The Russian government is expected to allocate almost 30 billion rubles ($498 million) for the launcher’s development. The project’s budget financing will begin in 2018.

    RD-171MV engines are expected to be mounted on the rocket’s first stage. The second stage will use the RD-0124M engine (developed by the Chemical Automatics Design Bureau and is currently part of the third stage of the Soyuz-2.1b carrier rocket) instead of the RD-120 (produced in Ukraine).

    In order to expedite flight tests, there are plans to use the launch pad of the Zenit carrier rocket at the Baikonur cosmodrome, which Kazakhstan will modernize under the Baiterek program for the new Russian rocket. During space launches under the Baiterek project, the rocket will be called Sunkar (Falcon), although in Russia the rocket was named Soyuz-5.

    The first launch of the Soyuz-5 carrier rocket with an unmanned Federatsiya spacecraft from the Baikonur spaceport is scheduled for 2022 and with a manned Federatsiya space vehicle for 2024.

    The Soyuz-5 is set to eventually become the first stage of a new Russian super-heavy carrier rocket, which is planned to blast off from the Vostochny cosmodrome in 2028.

    In the wake of the Soyuz-5 carrier rocket’s development, Russia has revised the manned flight concept envisaging the development of the piloted version of the Angara rocket, the Angara-A5P. It was also decided to postpone the construction of piloted infrastructure at the Vostochny cosmodrome.


    More:
    http://tass.com/science/960071


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 11069
    Points : 11546
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  George1 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:56 pm

    MOSCOW, August 10. /TASS/. The launch of the Proton-M carrier rocket with the Spanish satellite Amazonas 5 is scheduled for September, the Khrunichev Space Center reported on its website.
    More:
    http://tass.com/science/959936


    MOSCOW, August 10. /TASS/. The Angosat satellite planned for its launch from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan aboard a Zenit carrier rocket is ready for the last stage of trials, Russia’s Energiya Rocket and Space Corporation said in a statement posted on its website on Thursday.

    More:
    http://tass.com/science/959901


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    Rmf

    Posts : 506
    Points : 493
    Join date : 2013-05-30

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  Rmf on Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:41 pm

    Picked? Without tender or competition.?!? Not that im not in favour of energia getting job but there should be some legal and technical procedure maybe other companies have good solutions. This just show how corrupt government is and how much they with roscosmos have lost their way, but its their own fault and under pressure from americans and musk.
    There is no telling how this thing will be late and over-budget now.
    and angara -a5v is going to be even more expensive it seems.
    few military launches per year is all russia can hope now.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6110
    Points : 6214
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  PapaDragon on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:13 pm

    Rmf wrote:Picked? Without tender or competition.?!? Not that im not in favour of  energia getting job but there should be some legal and technical procedure maybe other companies have good solutions. This just show how corrupt government is and how much they with roscosmos  have lost their way, but its their own fault and under pressure from americans and musk.
    There is no telling how this thing will be late and over-budget  now.
    and angara -a5v is going to be even more expensive it seems.
    few military launches per year is all russia can hope now.

    There was a tender awarded several days ago for F-35 maintenance. Guess who "won" it?

    Yeah, only company that can implement the contact. What was the company that developed Energia rocket? Who was it, who was it...?

    Do you expect AvtoVAZ to participate in tender for construction of nuclear power plant?



    As for Angara being more expensive, please provide source. Your ass does not count...
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6110
    Points : 6214
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  PapaDragon on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:17 pm

    George1 wrote:...In order to expedite flight tests, there are plans to use the launch pad of the Zenit carrier rocket at the Baikonur cosmodrome, which Kazakhstan will modernize under the Baiterek program for the new Russian rocket. During space launches under the Baiterek project, the rocket will be called Sunkar (Falcon), although in Russia the rocket was named Soyuz-5....

    There was discussion earlier about what will be difference between Soyuz-5 and Sunkar and I pointed out that only difference will be the name in order to fluff Kazakh ego. Nice to have official confirmation.

    Not that I want to brag but...oh who am I kidding, I am totally bragging...lol1



    About Soyuz-5, fact that they will be using it for super-heavy launcher has not only some massive financial benefits but also technical ones. Soyuz-5 is little more than upgraded Energia rocket with new materials and electronics most notably self-diagnostic system (one that already saved Soyuz 1.2 and Angara from exploding like they were Proton-M​) so super-heavy rocket based on it will enable lot more launches annually than competition, most notably SLS (NASA super-heavy).

    Use of multiple launch approach instead of single launch will also help big time because they will have more flexibility with design and planning of future missions since not everything will need to fit in one rocket that will launch relatively infrequently.

    Original Energia rocket was fully functional super-heavy rocket already. So any discussion about will they be able to create new super-heavy rocket based on it is mute since they already done it before. And it will be easier this time because payload type is much simpler unlike Buran orbiter. This means that they can base entire thing on RD-170 unlike Energia which had to use different engines for core stage.

    I watched interview today with NASA astronaut and he said that purpose of privatizing Low Earth Orbit is to free up NASA's resources so they can focus on deep space missions. And this is something that commercial fanboys keep forgetting. Commercial segment is just entry ticket for government launch contracts and that's where real money is. 

    There is no profit to be made in non-subsidised launch of privately owned satellites where you have to cut down the price to win over the competition. But government gigs? Now that's the elusive meal ticket that everyone wants. It's also a reason why Russia was never going to last on private launch market in the West: because it was not created for them, plain and simple.

    And that leads us back to reason for existence of space programs in the first place (other than military) which is scientific and manned deep space segment. And like NASA said, this can only be done by massive state funded programs​.



    One more thing to look forward to about later multi core Soyuz-5 and super-heavy will be larger modules for new space stations. Station built​ with modules weighing up to 80 tons will really be something.
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 999
    Points : 1015
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  Big_Gazza on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:33 am

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Soyuz-5 is little more than upgraded Energia rocket with new materials and electronics most notably self-diagnostic system

    Not quite, as Soyuz-5 is essentially going to be a modernised Zenit, and they were products of Yangels design bureau (now called Yuzhnoye).  RSC Energia is the current name of Korolevs old OKB-1.

    It remains to be seen how much of the old Zenit engineering legacy will find its way into Soyuz-5.  Electronics and avionics have moved on, and Zenit controls are well obsolete (and Ukropi-orcish in origin), but its structural design is still perfectly relevant.  People are talking about a little over 4 years to 1st flight, so taht suggests that the Zenit design is being heavily leveraged. Very Happy

    Now that I've had some time to think it all through, I think ditching Angara-5P for Soyuz-5 is a good move.  Baikonour, being more southerly,  is better for meeting ISS-type orbits, and the program locks in Kazakh involvement and their paying for Zenit pad upgrade.  Soyuz-5 modules lead to SHLV capability, which Angara never could.  Angara won't require man-rating, so that saves some cash that is better spent elsewhere, such as high-energy upper stages.

    My only lingering issue is that Federation manned vehicle will only be flyable from Kazakhstan, and not from Russian territory until the SHLV pad comes along in 2030.  As long as the Russia-Kazakh political relationship remains stable, that is no issue, but never discount the potential for upset due to fucking Yankistani sedition....  Most of us expected the Ukropi to remain sane, but Uncle Scam interfered and it all went tits-up....

    Finally, agree 100% re commercial space.  The Government is the only customer in town that has cash to splurge on the high-profit activity of manned flight, and if the USGov hits a rough patch and has to pull back on funding, the wet dreams of Musk and Bezos will come to a screeching halt.  Satellite launching is small change, and doesn't really affect the dynamics of the industry as payload schedules govern the laucnh rate (not launch costs) and payloads are determined by real world needs of communications, weather, remote sensing, navigation etc.  Cutting the cost of launch services by 10-20% will only leave more money in the pockets of the satellite owners, and won't boost launch rates significantly (whats 10M launch savings against the cost of a 300M satellite?)
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6110
    Points : 6214
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  PapaDragon on Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:18 pm

    Big_Gazza wrote:
    Not quite, as Soyuz-5 is essentially going to be a modernised Zenit, and they were products of Yangels design bureau (now called Yuzhnoye).  RSC Energia is the current name of Korolevs old OKB-1......

    Zenit and Energia are practically same thing.

    Zenit uses RD-171 which is basically same engine as Energia (RD-170) with altered electronics and different fuel tanks. Rocket is 90% identical to Energia. What Ukranians did was to take Energia strap-on booster, tweak it a bit and give it a new name in order to project an illusion that they designed something new which they most certainly did not.

    Just look at Soyuz-5/Sunkar situation. It is literally same thing but almost everyone is convinced that Sunkar is something new that was created with some contribution from Kazakhs. Nothing could be further from the truth but that's marketing for you.  

    Here is wiki:

    RD-171

    Building on the technology from the Energia launch vehicle the Zenit (rocket family) was developed, which uses a RD-170 variant, the RD-171. While the RD-170 had nozzles which swiveled on both axes, the RD-171 swivels on just one axis.[2] RD-171 was intended to be used on Zenith rocket, and one-axis swiveling allowed to avoid additional aerodynamic forces. .....

    Simplified redesign but basically same thing.



    Big_Gazza wrote:......
    ......Now that I've had some time to think it all through, I think ditching Angara-5P for Soyuz-5 is a good move.  Baikonour, being more southerly,  is better for meeting ISS-type orbits, and the program locks in Kazakh involvement and their paying for Zenit pad upgrade.  Soyuz-5 modules lead to SHLV capability, which Angara never could.  Angara won't require man-rating, so that saves some cash that is better spent elsewhere, such as high-energy upper stages.......

    Angara was a good project and it could have been used as basis for manned and super-heavy launcher. RD-191 is also Energia derivative although quite improved.

    Krunichev should have designed a larger core for super-heavy rocket with multiple engines. They had everything they needed.

    Problem is that Krunichev never wanted to create super-heavy launcher. Neither did they want to build manned rocket, to move away from Baikonur, to launch rockets from Vostochniy, to pursue deep space missions nor leave their comfy Moscow headquarters and move to Omsk.

    They basically never wanted to move on from Proton-M and their little commercial launch scam.

    They muscled into Angara project and then intentionally wasted decades procrastinating and promoting obsolete Proton rocket. When original super-heavy project was put on ice in 2014 they thought that they were in the clear. All they had to do then was to scuttle Angara altogether and sabotage transfer to Vostochniy.

    But they forgot that Vostochniy is too big and too important to fail. It was also a chain with which Kazakhstan was whipped into submission.

    Later when super-heavy project was restarted Krunichev was promptly dumped and Energia corporation was put on the job.

    There is still room for Angara but it is in light and medium segment. Maybe Sea-Launch as well if they have enough brains to pursue it. And it will be just a sideshow for Soyuz-5 and backup for Soyuz-2.1 way down the road. They made their bed.



    Big_Gazza wrote:.....
    My only lingering issue is that Federation manned vehicle will only be flyable from Kazakhstan, and not from Russian territory until the SHLV pad comes along in 2030.  As long as the Russia-Kazakh political relationship remains stable, that is no issue, but never discount the potential for upset due to fucking Yankistani sedition....  Most of us expected the Ukropi to remain sane, but Uncle Scam interfered and it all went tits-up....
    ....

    There is not enough time left for Kazakhs to do anything stupid. They may try but with Vostochniy in play whatever problems they cause will be temporary.

    Like with Ukrainian ship turbines it will buy them couple of years at most. Construction projects can always be fast-tracked if need arises. Just look at Kerch Straight Bridge.  Launch pads are nothing compared to that.


    -------------------------------------------


    ALSO:

    Russia's First Super Heavy-Lift Carrier Flight Tests Set for 2027 - Deputy PM

    https://sputniknews.com/russia/201708151056470437-angara-launch-vehicle-2027/

    Colossal error in article, super-heavy is not related to Angara. See what I was talking about when I mentioned marketing?

    Sputnik needs some extra staff...
    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3408
    Points : 3533
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  kvs on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:15 am

    The timeline for the Sunkar does not reflect the actual development time. The engines are there and Russian companies can
    make rocket stages 4 meters in diameter without trying. If there was a push, Energia could launch the Sunkar by 2019.
    Assembling a strap on cluster for the SHLV does not actually require 10 years of design work. The details are handled during the module
    design stage. Clearly Russia is not in a hurry.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6110
    Points : 6214
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  PapaDragon on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:22 am

    kvs wrote:The timeline for the Sunkar does not reflect the actual development time.   The engines are there and Russian companies can
    make rocket stages 4 meters in diameter without trying.    If there was a push, Energia could launch the Sunkar by 2019.
    Assembling a strap on cluster for the SHLV does not actually require 10 years of design work.   The details are handled during the module
    design stage.   Clearly Russia is not in a hurry.

    Exactly. Main reasons for that is simple: no payload (yet)

    -Federation capsule is still under development​. 
    Now, once SpaceX and Boeing capsules have their big premiere it might bruise Russia's ego just enough to put some steam into Federation development the same way SpaceX rockets did with Soyuz-5​ but until then they are not in a hurry. 
    Not to mention that Soyuz capsule still runs like clockwork.

    -ISS is expected to stay in use until at least 2024. 
    They won't be building new station before then so no large space station components to be launched until at least then. No large components-no need for large rockets.

    -Ground infrastructure. 
    Vostochniy is still being built and Specstroi fuckup is still being cleared up. Not to mention that Kazakhs​ are feeling cooperative again. They did move planned launch of super-heavy 3 years forward but I assume it's the consequence of ease of development of Soyuz-5 that you talked about.

    -No scientific payload. 
    All planned scientific missions like Spektr or Luna and Venera are to be done with medium launchers like Proton or Angara 5. Nothing bigger is in the works especially since scientific budget is total barebones at the moment.
    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3408
    Points : 3533
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  kvs on Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:40 am



    Rogozin sums up the current state of Vostochny and the plans for the Angara and SHLV launch pads there. There is also
    some discussion about Banderastan at the end.

    Spezstroy delayed construction of Vostochny by 18 months which required serious overtime to undo. The criminals who
    were running rackets inside Spezstroy are either already doing time or soon to join their pals.

    Yuzhmash is basically dead. It is shut down with its young workforce looking for Russian citizenship and the production
    likes are literally being looted.

    Rogozin is under no illusion about Russia's Kazakh friends. Even though the clowns were trying to shake down Russia for
    using Baikanur have been removed, Russia will make sure to have 100% independence in all of its launch capacity and
    deployment.
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 999
    Points : 1015
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  Big_Gazza on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:58 am

    INTERNATIONAL LAUNCH SERVICES PROTON SUCCESSFULLY LAUNCHES THE AMAZONAS 5 SATELLITE
    International Launch Services (ILS), a leading launch services provider for the global commercial satellite industry, successfully delivered the Amazonas 5 satellite into orbit today on an ILS Proton for HISPASAT. It was the second HISPASAT satellite launched on ILS Proton.
    The ILS Proton launched from Pad 39 at 1:23 AM local time today (19:23 GMT, 15:23 PM ET on September 11) with the Amazonas 5 satellite. The first three stages of the Proton Breeze M utilized a standard ascent profile to place the orbital unit (Breeze M upper stage and the Amazonas 5 satellite) into a suborbital trajectory. Then, the Breeze M performed planned mission maneuvers to advance the orbital unit first to a nearly circular parking orbit, then to an intermediate orbit, followed by a transfer orbit, and finally to a geosynchronous transfer orbit. Separation of the Amazonas 5 satellite occurred at approximately 9 hours and 12 minutes after lift-off.



    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6110
    Points : 6214
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  PapaDragon on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:28 pm


    First concept of Soyuz-5 and Super-heavy:

    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3408
    Points : 3533
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  kvs on Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:44 am

    To think that the USSR already had essentially all the elements to build a modular Moon rocket instead of the monolithic N1 POS.
    Looks like these days Russia is run by sober professionals and not commie clowns engaged in bureaucratic games.
    For all of Russia's problems this is serious progress.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6110
    Points : 6214
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  PapaDragon on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:11 am

    kvs wrote:To think that the USSR already had essentially all the elements to build a modular Moon rocket instead of the monolithic N1 POS.
    Looks like these days Russia is run by sober professionals and not commie clowns engaged in bureaucratic games.    
    For all of Russia's problems this is serious progress.

    Well in all honesty those elements came around after N1 during Buran program but you are right about commie bureaucrats.

    They should have kept working on lunar missions instead of just giving up the moment Apollo touched down like some preteens throwing a tantrum. Who gives a crap if they weren't there first, what matters is who is there now.




    As for Soyuz-5/Super-heavy it's pretty much what I expected to see with exception of 5 strap-on boosters. I assumed it would be 4 but hey, more juice is always good news.

    Single core will be enough to launch Federation into low earth orbit. That RD-170 series is gift that keeps on giving.   thumbsup
    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3408
    Points : 3533
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  kvs on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:21 am

    PapaDragon wrote:
    kvs wrote:To think that the USSR already had essentially all the elements to build a modular Moon rocket instead of the monolithic N1 POS.
    Looks like these days Russia is run by sober professionals and not commie clowns engaged in bureaucratic games.    
    For all of Russia's problems this is serious progress.

    Well in all honesty those elements came around after N1 during Buran program but you are right about commie bureaucrats.

    They should have kept working on lunar missions instead of just giving up the moment Apollo touched down like some preteens throwing a tantrum. Who gives a crap if they weren't there first, what matters is who is there now.

    As for Soyuz-5/Super-heavy it's pretty much what I expected to see with exception of 5 strap-on boosters. I assumed it would be 4 but hey, more juice is always good news.

    Single core will be enough to launch Federation into low earth orbit. That RD-170 series is gift that keeps on giving.   thumbsup

    The NK-33 engines developed for the N1 are superb and could have been used in a modular system.

    http://www.astronautix.com/u/ur-700.html

    Chelomei's UR-700 was the correct design path for a Soviet Moon rocket. However its initial specs would have to be changed:
    it was too convoluted and required rather large engines. The Energia rocket is a separate story involving the shuttle dead end.

    Anyway, the Soyuz-5 modular system will finally undo the N1 failure. I am glad they are not going to waste time on building new
    inner core with different dimensions and engines. This would have been a waste of time and money. It is nice to see Energiya
    leveraging the RD-170 for this and I hope they do a good job.
    avatar
    AlfaT8

    Posts : 1470
    Points : 1469
    Join date : 2013-02-02

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  AlfaT8 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:12 am

    kvs wrote:Anyway, the Soyuz-5 modular system will finally undo the N1 failure.  I am glad they are not going to waste time on building new
    inner core with different dimensions and engines.   This would have been a waste of time and money.    It is nice to see Energiya
    leveraging the RD-170 for this and I hope they do a good job.

    Russian manned Moon mission???
    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3408
    Points : 3533
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  kvs on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:51 pm

    AlfaT8 wrote:
    kvs wrote:Anyway, the Soyuz-5 modular system will finally undo the N1 failure.  I am glad they are not going to waste time on building new
    inner core with different dimensions and engines.   This would have been a waste of time and money.    It is nice to see Energiya
    leveraging the RD-170 for this and I hope they do a good job.

    Russian manned Moon mission???

    Moon class or Mars class is the same category of rocket. Both are designed to overcome the gravitational well of the Earth and deliver spacecraft on
    inertial trajectories to their targets. A Moon rocket is also a Jupiter and Pluto class rocket. They do not need to keep growing larger and larger.
    avatar
    AlfaT8

    Posts : 1470
    Points : 1469
    Join date : 2013-02-02

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  AlfaT8 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:03 am

    kvs wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:
    kvs wrote:Anyway, the Soyuz-5 modular system will finally undo the N1 failure.  I am glad they are not going to waste time on building new
    inner core with different dimensions and engines.   This would have been a waste of time and money.    It is nice to see Energiya
    leveraging the RD-170 for this and I hope they do a good job.

    Russian manned Moon mission???

    Moon class or Mars class is the same category of rocket.   Both are designed to overcome the gravitational well of the Earth and deliver spacecraft on
    inertial trajectories to their targets.   A Moon rocket is also a Jupiter and Pluto class rocket.   They do not need to keep growing larger and larger.

    They do if we're talking colonization missions, btw what's the timeline for Russia's moon mining operation.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6110
    Points : 6214
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  PapaDragon on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:48 am

    AlfaT8 wrote:..............

    They do if we're talking colonization missions, btw what's the timeline for Russia's moon mining operation.

    No they don't. Going above certain tonnage is wasteful. In-orbit assembly is superior approach.

    ISS has 420 tons but was built with ~30-ton or lower payload rockets.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 17213
    Points : 17819
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  GarryB on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:29 am

    Which just shows how useful Buran would have been over the US space shuttle... you could take the Buran off the Energyia rocket and replace it with a 250 ton object for launch into earth orbit already assembled on the ground... link and lock them together in orbit and you have a quick build space station in 3-4 launches.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 999
    Points : 1015
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  Big_Gazza on Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:02 am

    Came across some interesting info regarding the planned recovery methods for the Energia SHLV strap-ons.  It was always obvious that the Zenit-based strap-ons were designed for reuse, but AFAIK it was not clear exactly how Soviet engineers planned to recover them.

    Firstly, details of the strap-on recovery features - landing gear and solid rockets for cushioning the landing. Landing struts look to be gas powered with gas bottles located in the nose and protected during re-entry by thermal insulation.:


    Secondly, the recovery method involving parachutes and horizontal landing


    From the article @ http://www.buran-energia.com/energia/energia-consti-1eretage.php

    At 135 s from the launch and 50 km of altitude the blocks are ejected, their speed is 1800 m/s. At 150-165 s the blocks separate individually, they are at 65-70 km of altitude and their speed is 1760-1720 m/s. At the time of the entry in the dense layers of the atmosphere at 80 km height and a speed of 1650 m/s the orientation system starts. The block penetrates now in the atmosphere, the nasal part ahead, which is equipped with a thermal protection. Its speed of penetration is of 1780 m/s but it decreases because the parachute was spread. Between the 285th second and the 450th the parachute slows down the block up to 70 m/s and height a 5 km. At this altitude the main parachute spread and makes speed fall to 30 - 20 m/s. At 3-4 km height the fixing node of the parachute moves towards the centre of gravity of the block to put it in horizontal position its speed is of 13-19 m/s. Then the shock absorbers spread, at 30-50 m height, the retrorocket start and the unit gently lands 11 to 12 min after the launch of the rocket.

    The soviets don't seem to have made any recovery attempts on the Polyus or Buran flight.  I assume the recovery system wasn't ready at the time, and unfortunately, now we'll never know for sure.  Its frustrating to think that the Soviets were within a whisker of reusable rocketry back in 1987-88.....
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 999
    Points : 1015
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  Big_Gazza on Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:10 am

    GarryB wrote:Which just shows how useful Buran would have been over the US space shuttle... you could take the Buran off the Energyia rocket and replace it with a 250 ton object for launch into earth orbit already assembled on the ground... link and lock them together in orbit and you have a quick build space station in 3-4 launches.

    Energia was a scaled down version of the ultimate Vulkan SHLV. Vulkan would have had ~250T capacity to LEO.  This graphic gives you an idea of what the extended family would have looked like. The Polyus on the inaugural flight (prototype orbital laser-weapon) represented the "half-way house" variant of the Energia with a side-mounted load in place of Buran).
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 11069
    Points : 11546
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  George1 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:04 am

    Russia to decide on super-heavy space rocket soon

    Russia’s Moon exploration program envisages creating a near-Moon station

    MOSCOW, October 2. /TASS/. Russia may shortly make a decision on developing a super-heavy carrier rocket, Chief Designer of Energiya Rocket and Space Corporation Yevgeny Mikrin said on Monday.

    Read also
    Russia’s super-heavy carrier rocket to be ready for tests in 2027

    "Now a decision on a medium-range rocket has been made and we hope that soon a decision on a super-heavy carrier will be passed," the chief designer said.

    Russia’s Moon exploration program envisages creating a near-Moon station. The Federatsiya new piloted spacecraft is planned to be launched to the Moon. The new super-heavy carrier rocket is needed for the full-fledged implementation of the lunar program, he noted.

    As the chief designer said, "a new module weighing up to seven tonnes can be launched [to the Moon] with the help of an Angara or Proton carrier," he said.

    This will help implement the Russian program of the Moon’s exploration partially, he added.


    More:
    http://tass.com/science/968425


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3408
    Points : 3533
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  kvs on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:27 am

    Big_Gazza wrote:
    GarryB wrote:Which just shows how useful Buran would have been over the US space shuttle... you could take the Buran off the Energyia rocket and replace it with a 250 ton object for launch into earth orbit already assembled on the ground... link and lock them together in orbit and you have a quick build space station in 3-4 launches.

    Energia was a scaled down version of the ultimate Vulkan SHLV. Vulkan would have had ~250T capacity to LEO.  This graphic gives you an idea of what the extended family would have looked like.  The Polyus on the inaugural flight (prototype orbital laser-weapon) represented the "half-way house" variant of the Energia with a side-mounted load in place of Buran).

    The SHLV based on the Soyuz-5 modules will essentially be a thin core variant of the Vulkan. To get the Vulkan they should
    resurrect the Energia core. But there may not be any need since LEO assembly of a 250 ton device could be done in two stages.
    The Vulkan would be necessary for single-piece 250 ton items. I can't think of any satellite or station component that heavy.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6110
    Points : 6214
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  PapaDragon on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:00 pm


    Project of new cargo vessel:


    Text in Russian, if someone would be kind enough to give us a rundown, machine translation kills the details:

    Spoiler:
    "Роскосмос" принял проект нового космического грузовика

    Эскизный проект нового российского грузового космического корабля повышенной грузоподъемности прошел все экспертизы и принят госкорпорацией "Роскосмос", сообщил РИА Новости глава ракетно-космической корпорации (РКК) "Энергия" Владимир Солнцев.

    "Эскизный проект нами выполнен. В установленном порядке он прошел все экспертизы с положительными заключениями и принят государственным заказчиком — ГК "Роскосмос". Решение о дальнейшем проведении работ по завершению разработки и изготовлению корабля также принимает госкорпорация", — отметил он.

    Вопрос о создании нового грузового корабля стал актуальным после появления на рынке ракеты-носителя "Союз-2.1б" с повышенной грузоподъемностью и головным обтекателем увеличенной размерности.

    РКК "Энергия" является разработчиком и производителем всех российских космических кораблей. Новый грузовик потребуется запускать до трех раз в год, в то время как обычные грузовики "Прогресс" требуют до четырех запусков. Корабль сможет доставлять на орбиту больше грузов, чем эксплуатируемые сегодня корабли "Прогресс МС", которые способны взять на борт не более 2,6 тысячи килограммов. Также использование нового корабля позволит снизить стоимость доставки грузов на МКС.
    https://ria.ru/science/20171003/1506076675.html

    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian Launch Vehicles and their Spacecraft: Thoughts & News

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:03 am