Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

MiG-41 New Interceptor:

Azi
    Private
    Private

Re: MiG-41 New Interceptor:

Post  Azi on Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:20 pm

I hate this stealth bla bla...!

A jet with radar ON is never stealth! A F-35 with active radar seeking is so stealth like a lighthouse at night. A interceptor must be fast, should have an outstanding radar and good maneuverability (the cream on top of it).

Stealth is good to sneak behind enemy lines. It can be a advantage in the case of the operational profile for the F-22, passive radar seeking, data link and so on. The operational profile for the Mig-41 requires not really stealth, maybe it will get some stealth characteristics (better to have it, than not to have them) but it will be only weak stealth characteristisc, based on shape and RAM coating for high temperature (no foam, polymere, carbon based stuff). Weak stealth characteristic is ok, it means not wasting too much money for it, better putting the money in other characteristics.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:12 pm

NEURONAV wrote: Work on high temp RAM coating is already begin

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259512482_A_high-temperature_radar_absorbing_structure_Design_fabrication_and_characterization

Nice thumbsup

Svetlana Savitskaya: KLA is working on a new generation MiG-41

Svetlana Savitskaya:
    United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) is actively working on the development of high-speed high-altitude interceptor new generation MiG-41

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:30 pm

I feel instead of new interceptor they should develop a new Single Engine LMFS that is cheaper than PAK-FA and that can be sold widely in export market like F-16 or Mig-21 bread and butter fighter.

Russia should have something that can compete with JSF in the market and that is not heavy as PAK-FA

GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:12 pm

Austin wrote:I feel instead of new interceptor they should develop a new Single Engine LMFS that is cheaper than PAK-FA and that can be sold widely in export market like F-16 or Mig-21 bread and butter fighter.

Russia should have something that can compete with JSF in the market and that is not heavy as PAK-FA

MiG-41 must have priority over LMFS. MiG-41 is to defend homeland from US led aggression over thousands of kilometers in northern and eastern regions.

Besides AFAIK MiG is working on LMFS kind of plane based on MiG-35

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:42 am

Yes... working on both makes a lot of sense.

In my opinion the light 5th gen fighter should have as a priority to have the capacity to carry an enormous amount of external stores in the non stealth loadout, while able to carry a good compliment of air to air weapons in stealthy mode.

At the start of a conflict it needs to be able to beat off a stealth attack/cruise missile attack. Once it has achieved that then the threat will come from less stealthy threats for which a large payload of weapons makes more sense than stealthiness.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

eehnie
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  eehnie on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:40 pm

The MiG-41 as fast interceptor is a very interesting project that I expect becomes real in a few years. I liked very much the news in the reports.

I think this project is more important for Russia than a light fighter (Russia has still variants of the MiG-29 in production).

For me the four most important projects for the Russian air warfare until 2025 would be:

- Yak-135 (supersonic trainer and light combat aircraft for export)
    - IL-PAK-TA (supersonic transport)
    - MiG-41 (over Mach 4.0)
    - Tu-PAK-DA (supersonic strategic bomber)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:07 am

Current date/time is Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:07 am