Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Share

    Poll

    Do you think Assad can win the Syrian conflict?????

    [ 40 ]
    93% [93%] 
    [ 3 ]
    7% [7%] 

    Total Votes: 43
    avatar
    d_taddei2

    Posts : 964
    Points : 1128
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  d_taddei2 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:26 pm

    This poll is really just for interest and peoples views. But if anyone wants to put any comments then that would be great.

    My personal opinion is as long as Russia, Iran, and China keep supporting Assad and using veto to cancel any USA/Europe intervention then i think in the long run he can win it. But it will still be a tough and very long road.
    avatar
    Hannibal Barca

    Posts : 1241
    Points : 1263
    Join date : 2013-12-13

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  Hannibal Barca on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:45 pm

    Yes. Let me give back the question. Will you liberate your country from England's millennia tyranny?
    avatar
    Mike E

    Posts : 2760
    Points : 2806
    Join date : 2014-06-19
    Location : Bay Area, CA

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  Mike E on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:59 pm

    I think that the "war" really ended months ago. - Rebels are on their last legs and are operating in smaller numbers, the fate of them has been decided.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5357
    Points : 5588
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  Werewolf on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:18 pm

    The fact that USA orchestrated the coup de etat in Kiew shows that Assad already won the conflict and the other fact is that Al-CIAda and Free Saudi Army are renamed to ISIS and heading back to Iraq to give US another justification to recapture more power in Iraq since they failed in Syria.
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10528
    Points : 11005
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  George1 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:26 pm

    The regime in Damascus is doomed - Israeli military intelligence

    Laughing With Russia to take active role, ISIS is doomed


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    Regular

    Posts : 2029
    Points : 2033
    Join date : 2013-03-10
    Location : Western Hemisphere.. mostly

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  Regular on Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:40 pm

    Well they are on a loosing streak... Isis or not isis, there are all kinds of monkeys with weapons, for Syria to be country again You need to ethnic cleanse the hell of it and seal the borders.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  sepheronx on Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:53 pm

    Hence why Russia sent men there to train militia/troops and send equipment.

    I have a feeling Russia has another plan. To separate Assad Controlled territory with the rest of Syria, and create a new Syria. A Syria away from those Sunni's and will simply be a much smaller Western Syria, that will still hold the naval ports for Russia. I know this was comment on zerohedge users who stated the same thing. I think it is most ideal situation for Assad now. Build a wall, fences, trenches all along the areas that Assad controls, and simply let the rest of Syria fight each other. Build up the new Syria both economically and militarily, so they can defend themselves.

    toolman

    Posts : 1
    Points : 1
    Join date : 2015-10-20

    Aleppo

    Post  toolman on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:02 am

    We'll see what happens soon in the coming battle for Aleppo. Hopefully the head-choppers have become disorganized by the airstrikes; the house-to-house fighting will be rough.
    avatar
    d_taddei2

    Posts : 964
    Points : 1128
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    reply

    Post  d_taddei2 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:02 pm

    Hannibal Barca wrote:Yes. Let me give back the question. Will you liberate your country from England's millennia tyranny?


    i would love for Scotland to become independent i long wait for the day i believe one day we will get it and i think it will happen within the next 10 years(sadly) as it would be great to getter sooner as the cameron is destroying Scotland(and rest of UK) at a rapid pace.
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10528
    Points : 11005
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  George1 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:11 am

    An overview of military groups that fight in the side of Government forces

    1. Hezbollah , Shi'a Islamist militant group and political party based in Lebanon.
    2. Ba'ath Brigades , volunteer militia made up of Syrian Ba'ath Party members, almost entirely Sunni Muslims, loyal to the Syrian Government of Bashar al-Assad.
    3. Arab Nationalist Guard , secular volunteer militia force. The group has an Arab nationalist ideology, gathering away from any sectarian, ethnic, or religious extremism. Its membership includes nationalists from a variety of Arab countries, including Egypt, Iraq, Lebanon, Palestine, Tunisia, Syria and Yemen.
    4. PFLP-GC , a small Palestinian nationalist militant organisation based in Syria. It was founded in 1968 by Ahmed Jibril after splitting from the Popular
    Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP).
    5. Liwa Abu al-Fadhal al-Abbas , mainly Shia Syrian militant group which operates throughout Syria. The group rose in prominence in reaction to the desecration of various heritage sites and place of worship by rebels during the Syrian civil war and subsequently collaborated with the Syrian Army.
    5. Jaysh al-Muwahhideen , Druze militant group in Syria. Their name means "Army of Monotheists" or "Army of Unitarians". The group mainly operates in the Suwayda, Deraa, Damascus and other regions where the Druze are concentrated and announced their formation in the beginning of 2013.
    6. Syrian Resistance , Marxist–Leninist Syrian armed group operating in Northwest Syria
    7. Sootoro , Christian militia composed of members of the Assyrian/Syriac and some members of the Armenian communities in Syria. It claims to be affiliated with the Civil Peace Committee for Syriac Orthodox, and it exists only in the town of Qamishli
    8. Asa'ib Ahl al-Haq , Iraqi Shi'a paramilitary group
    9. Kata'ib Sayyid al-Shuhada Iraqi Shia militia formed in 2013 to protect [/img], Iraqi Shia militia formed in 2013 to protect "(Shia) shrines across the globe", the preservation of "Iraqi unity" and to "put an end to the sectarian conflict".
    10. Liwa Fatemiyoun , Afghan Shia militia formed in 2014 to fight the Syrian opposition. It is funded and trained by the Iranian IRGC.


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    max steel

    Posts : 2967
    Points : 2998
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  max steel on Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:22 am

    sepheronx wrote:Hence why Russia sent men there to train militia/troops and send equipment.

    I have a feeling Russia has another plan.  To separate Assad Controlled territory with the rest of Syria, and create a new Syria.  A Syria away from those Sunni's and will simply be a much smaller Western Syria, that will still hold the naval ports for Russia.  I know this was comment on zerohedge users who stated the same thing.  I think it is most ideal situation for Assad now.  Build a wall, fences, trenches all along the areas that Assad controls, and simply let the rest of Syria fight each other.  Build up the new Syria both economically and militarily, so they can defend themselves.


    Nope just hold your feelings there only. Read what Putin said at Valdai Discussion Club : http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20151022/1028958078.html
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10528
    Points : 11005
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  George1 on Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:19 pm

    Syria’s Assad ready to hold early polls, take part in election — Russia’s Communist Party

    Yushchenko is staying in Syria as part of a delegation of Russian parliamentarians with a humanitarian mission

    MOSCOW, October 25. /TASS/. Syrian President Bashar Assad is ready to take part in early presidential elections, Russian Communist Party [KPRF] deputy Alexander Yushchenko told TASS over the phone on Sunday.

    Yushchenko is staying in Syria as part of a delegation of Russian parliamentarians with a humanitarian mission.

    According to Yushchenko, Assad is ready to hold parliamentary elections "on the basis of all political forces that want Syria’s prosperity." The Syrian president is also ready to discuss the Constitutional reform and, if necessary and upon the people’s wish, hold the presidential elections but only "after the victory over terrorism on the territory of Syria and the country’s liberation."

    Russia wants to take into account only interests of Syria, not only Assad — Lavrov

    According to the Russian MP, Assad "is absolutely confident of his electoral potential, if the presidential elections are held.

    The Syrian president also said "the struggle against terrorism will lay the basis for a new and fair world based on sovereignty and cooperation," according to the Russian MP.

    ‘We [the Russian delegation] expressed the position that a deep constitutional reform should come from Damascus and not from Washington or Ankara," the Russian MP said.

    In turn, Russian MP and member of Russia’s delegation to Syria Sergei Gavrilov told TASS that Assad had said at a meeting with Russian parliamentarians he was ready "for parliamentary elections with the participation of responsible patriotic opposition forces and amendment of the Constitution and, if necessary, for general presidential elections."

    The Syrian president’s meeting with the Russian MPs also discussed "the issues of Russia’s support" during the holding of such elections, Gavrilov said.


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10528
    Points : 11005
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  George1 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:27 pm

    Is this the real motive of Qatar's involvement in Syrian war?

    Syria: new markets for Qatari gas without Al Assad, analyst

    (ANSAmed) - Rome, October 1 - Why would Qatar want to become involved in Syria where they have very few investments? This is the question the analist Felix Imonti poses in an article recently published by specialized website 'Oilprice.com' and by Joshua Landis' Siria Comment.

    The kingdom, Imonti explains, ''is a geographic prisoner in a small enclave on the Persian Gulf coast. It relies upon the export of LNG, because it is restricted by Saudi Arabia from building pipelines to distant markets. In 2009, the proposal of a pipeline to Europe through Saudi Arabia and Turkey to the Nabucco pipeline was considered, but Saudi Arabia that is angered by its smaller and much louder brother has blocked any overland expansion''.

    ''Already the largest Lng producer, Qatar will not increase the production of LNG - Imonti continues -. The market is becoming glutted with eight new facilities in Australia coming online between 2014 and 2020. A saturated North American gas market and a far more competitive Asian market leaves only Europe. The discovery in 2009 of a new gas field near Israel, Lebanon, Cyprus, and Syria opened new possibilities to bypass the Saudi Barrier and to secure a new source of income''. ''Pipelines are in place already in Turkey to receive the gas. Only Al-Assad is in the way. Qatar along with the Turks would like to remove Al-Assad and install the Syrian chapter of the Moslim Brotherhood. It is the best organized political movement in the chaotic society and can block Saudi Arabia's efforts to install a more fanatical Wahhabi based regime. Once the Brotherhood is in power, the Emir's broad connections with Brotherhood groups throughout the region should make it easy for him to find a friendly ear and an open hand in Damascus.

    ''The fighting is likely to continue for many more months, but Qatar is in for the long term. At the end, there will be contracts for the massive reconstruction and there will be the development of the gas fields. In any case, Al-Assad must go. There is nothing personal; it is strictly business to preserve the future tranquility and well-being of Qatar'', Imonti concludes. (ANSAmed).

    http://www.ansamed.info/ansamed/en/news/nations/turkey/2012/10/01/Syria-new-markets-Qatari-gas-Al-Assad-analyst_7560833.html


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4488
    Points : 4661
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:39 pm

    George1 wrote:Is this the real motive of Qatar's involvement in Syrian war?

    Syria: new markets for Qatari gas without Al Assad, analyst

    (ANSAmed) - Rome, October 1 - Why would Qatar want to become involved in Syria where they have very few investments? This is the question the analist Felix Imonti poses in an article recently published by specialized website 'Oilprice.com' and by Joshua Landis' Siria Comment.

    The kingdom, Imonti explains, ''is a geographic prisoner in a small enclave on the Persian Gulf coast. It relies upon the export of LNG, because it is restricted by Saudi Arabia from building pipelines to distant markets. In 2009, the proposal of a pipeline to Europe through Saudi Arabia and Turkey to the Nabucco pipeline was considered, but Saudi Arabia that is angered by its smaller and much louder brother has blocked any overland expansion''.

    ''Already the largest Lng producer, Qatar will not increase the production of LNG - Imonti continues -. The market is becoming glutted with eight new facilities in Australia coming online between 2014 and 2020. A saturated North American gas market and a far more competitive Asian market leaves only Europe. The discovery in 2009 of a new gas field near Israel, Lebanon, Cyprus, and Syria opened new possibilities to bypass the Saudi Barrier and to secure a new source of income''. ''Pipelines are in place already in Turkey to receive the gas. Only Al-Assad is in the way. Qatar along with the Turks would like to remove Al-Assad and install the Syrian chapter of the Moslim Brotherhood. It is the best organized political movement in the chaotic society and can block Saudi Arabia's efforts to install a more fanatical Wahhabi based regime. Once the Brotherhood is in power, the Emir's broad connections with Brotherhood groups throughout the region should make it easy for him to find a friendly ear and an open hand in Damascus.

    ''The fighting is likely to continue for many more months, but Qatar is in for the long term. At the end, there will be contracts for the massive reconstruction and there will be the development of the gas fields. In any case, Al-Assad must go. There is nothing personal; it is strictly business to preserve the future tranquility and well-being of Qatar'', Imonti concludes. (ANSAmed).

    http://www.ansamed.info/ansamed/en/news/nations/turkey/2012/10/01/Syria-new-markets-Qatari-gas-Al-Assad-analyst_7560833.html

    It was the original reason, Qatar wanted to supersede Russia in the European market, but Assad turned down the offer to cooperate with Qatar for two main reasons:

    1.) He wanted to protect Russia's strategic interests/European market share.

    2.) Syria was already cooperating with Iraq and Iran on a pipeline, to grab a piece of the European market, without actually superseding Russia and or explicitly going against Russian interests.
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10528
    Points : 11005
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  George1 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:19 pm

    Syrian Democratic Forces are made up of Kurds, Christians and Arabs, and are receiving weapons and air support from the United States and others.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p037j11g?ocid=socialflow_facebook


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5357
    Points : 5588
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  Werewolf on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:22 pm

    After Mujaheddin (Taliban), Al-CIAda, FSA and ISIS they recall the very same canibals and mercenaries to another name to have another mercenary pet that can drive the "moderate" name to do their dirty work which US grunts can not do?
    avatar
    Walther von Oldenburg

    Posts : 920
    Points : 975
    Join date : 2015-01-23
    Age : 26
    Location : Oldenburg

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:32 pm

    Taliban are not the same as 1980s "mujahideen" - Taliban are Pashtuns, the other group that emerged from the "mujahideen" conglomerate was the Tajik Northern Alliance - which enjoyed Iranian and minor Russian support.

    Never seen you criticizing them.
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10528
    Points : 11005
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  George1 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:23 pm



    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3246
    Points : 3352
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  flamming_python on Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:43 pm

    Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Taliban are not the same as 1980s "mujahideen" - Taliban are Pashtuns, the other group that emerged from the "mujahideen" conglomerate was the Tajik Northern Alliance - which enjoyed Iranian and minor Russian support.

    Never seen you criticizing them.

    A large part of the NA was made up of former pro-Soviet Afghan army personnel; including the 2nd in command of the Northern Alliance.
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10528
    Points : 11005
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  George1 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:25 pm

    Syrian Conflict Kills 11.5% of Population, Leaves 45% Displaced

    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20160211/1034572323/russia-mfa-syria-ceasefire.html#ixzz3zrU3xjTG


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    starman

    Posts : 108
    Points : 110
    Join date : 2016-08-10

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  starman on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:03 pm

    toolman wrote:We'll see what happens soon in the coming battle for Aleppo. Hopefully the head-choppers have become disorganized by the airstrikes; the house-to-house fighting will be rough.

    What's the latest news? Last I heard the rebels had broken the siege. But there's been no news for a day or two.
    If they have broken the siege, it's pretty depressing. If only the Assad regime had maintained it and taken all of Aleppo, that might've meant an end was in sight to this awful conflict. Now it looks like it'll never end... cry
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10528
    Points : 11005
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  George1 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:31 am



    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10528
    Points : 11005
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  George1 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:37 am



    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3911
    Points : 3938
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:14 am

    In Memoriam:



    Martyr for Dictatorship and Ebil, Colonel Mumu Gaga. You're gone but never forgotten.

    Now ask yourself what would have happened if this man, with all his flaws, moments of folly, eccentricities would have won that conflict.

    No-Mali, No CAR, No Syria within a year, No Shabab. All it would have taken is save Colonel Crazy. Maybe this was the fatal flaw of Medvedev.
    avatar
    KiloGolf

    Posts : 2065
    Points : 2083
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  KiloGolf on Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:19 pm

    KoTeMoRe wrote:Maybe this was the fatal flaw of Medvedev.

    It was. He gave them an inch, the Middle East is now in flames.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Will Assad win the Syrian conflict?

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:39 am