Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Fate of Russia's old birds.

    Share

    d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 744
    Points : 904
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    reply

    Post  d_taddei2 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:13 am

    that's a real shame, they are superb aircraft, does anyone know if theres plans to replace MIG-31 as they are also getting old, I know some were being modernised but are set to be retired late 2020's which really isn't that long way away when you think how long it would take to design, test, ands produce a similar aircraft.

    flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3188
    Points : 3316
    Join date : 2012-01-31

    Re: Fate of Russia's old birds.

    Post  flamming_python on Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:57 am

    d_taddei2 wrote:that's a real shame, they are superb aircraft, does anyone know if theres plans to replace MIG-31 as they are also getting old, I know some were being modernised but are set to be retired late 2020's which really isn't that long way away when you think how long it would take to design, test, ands produce a similar aircraft.

    They plan to redesign the MiG-31 into some Mach 4+ interceptor, the MiG 4.3 or something.

    In the meantime they're modernizing the current models into the MiG-31BM variant, to serve I guess until the new variant is ready for production.

    d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 744
    Points : 904
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    reply

    Post  d_taddei2 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:23 am

    flamming_python wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:that's a real shame, they are superb aircraft, does anyone know if theres plans to replace MIG-31 as they are also getting old, I know some were being modernised but are set to be retired late 2020's which really isn't that long way away when you think how long it would take to design, test, ands produce a similar aircraft.

    They plan to redesign the MiG-31 into some Mach 4+ interceptor, the MiG 4.3 or something.

    In the meantime they're modernizing the current models into the MiG-31BM variant, to serve I guess until the new variant is ready for production.


    thanks for the info. Does anyone how many they are upgrading a year? I find it really hard to find any info on the numbers and progress of Russian upgrades on things such as the SU-24, Su-25, SU-27, MIG-31, TU-22m3, TU-95, and TU-160, (I have seen varying reports that say 1 or 2 TU-160 have been upgraded). If anyone has any info on the above please share.

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15482
    Points : 16189
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Fate of Russia's old birds.

    Post  GarryB on Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:34 pm

    It is very difficult to say... from what I have read the Su-25SM is an upgrade of the Su-25 and will be used till the future prospective CAS replacement aircraft is ready...

    I would expect most of the Su-24 upgrades have been made, and I thought the strategic aircraft had already had upgrades but information recently about another upgrade for the Blackjack makes me think otherwise.. unless the new upgrade is just new engines.

    Just off the top of my head there can only be 15 Tu-160 upgrades, they were going to upgrade something like 60 Tu-22M3s and 100 MiG-31s.

    The strategic aircraft are stopgaps till the PAK DA is ready in the early 2020s, while the MiG-31 upgrades will be replaced by a MiG-41 that will likely have scramjet engines and roughly double the flight speed of the MiG-31. Keep in mind that early claims about the PAK DA was that it would be hypersonic, but now it will be subsonic to reduce costs and presumably make it more cost effective potentially as a MPA and inflight refuelling aircraft, and perhaps AWACS and/or JSTARS.... and possibly a civilian airliner.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Walther von Oldenburg
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 895
    Points : 952
    Join date : 2015-01-24
    Age : 25
    Location : Oldenburg

    MiG-21 variants and performance

    Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:12 am

    Need help again.

    I am looking for info on what is the newest Russian modernization of MiG-21s and what their performance is. Since a lot of countries still have them, then maybe modernizing them and using in ground attack role is still feasible?

    Svyatoslavich
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Posts : 252
    Points : 263
    Join date : 2015-04-22
    Location : Buenos Aires

    Re: Fate of Russia's old birds.

    Post  Svyatoslavich on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:00 am

    Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Need help again.

    I am looking for info on what is the newest Russian modernization of MiG-21s and what their performance is. Since a lot of countries still have them, then maybe modernizing them and using in ground attack role is still feasible?
    The only modernization ever performed by the Russians to the MiG-21 was the Bison for the Indian air force. It receives a new HUD, MFDs, PESA radar (Kopyo) and RWR/EW systems. It can launch BVR missiles (R-77), so it seems to be a quite capable and decent light fighter. The only other modernized version that entered service is the Romanian Lancer, but this was done by Israel.

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15482
    Points : 16189
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Fate of Russia's old birds.

    Post  GarryB on Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:20 am

    the MiG-21 was always a small relatively cheap mach 2 interceptor.

    There are lot of ways of improving this or that performance, but at the end of the day if you want a ground attack aircraft go for the Su-25... it is much better suited to the role and with a few modifications can perform other roles too.

    The newest MiG-21 upgrade from Russia that I have any info on is the MiG-21-93 which added the Kopyo radar and upgrades to allow the carriage and use of R-77 and R-73 AAMs as well as R-27 and R-60M. It can also carry two Kh-25MP missiles or KAB-500Kr bombs or standard 100kg, 250kg and 500kg bombs.

    Actually with 250kg and 500kg satellite guided bombs and R-77 and R-73 missiles you would have a potent little fighterbomber. Add a Sapsan targeting pod and it would be a cheap simple fighterbomber.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Sponsored content

    Re: Fate of Russia's old birds.

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:24 am


      Current date/time is Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:24 am