Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Share

    eehnie
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 576
    Points : 601
    Join date : 2015-05-13

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  eehnie on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:42 am

    Militarov wrote:
    eehnie wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    eehnie wrote:A little surprised, but it is not bad. The new Typhoons seem to be armored trucks of middle size.

    Well they are MRAPs basically, they need to be heavy. They are on pair in weight with most of foreign solutions too, Renault Higuard, TITUS, Cougar HE, Lazar 2 etc.

    I like the size of the new Typhoons, I think it is the right size for armored vehicles looking forward. Lighter armored vehicle projects are failing to pass the tests of the armour in recent years, becoming unsuccessful. But the new generation of Russian IFVs and APCs (Kurganets-25, Bumerang-25, Typhoon-U, Typhoon-K and the new Bulat) can become successful, with maybe the Atom Project, that is very interesting.

    What i like about Typhoon is that its actually appealing to the eyes, which most of the USSR/Russian equipment in past wasnt. Atom i am not sure, if they use its weapon station on Kurganets 25 i assume, but keeping French platform i highly doubt.

    The project is being resumed without France. Check the Atom topic.

    magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4468
    Points : 4659
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:43 am

    Militarov wrote:
    eehnie wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    eehnie wrote:A little surprised, but it is not bad. The new Typhoons seem to be armored trucks of middle size.

    Well they are MRAPs basically, they need to be heavy. They are on pair in weight with most of foreign solutions too, Renault Higuard, TITUS, Cougar HE, Lazar 2 etc.

    I like the size of the new Typhoons, I think it is the right size for armored vehicles looking forward. Lighter armored vehicle projects are failing to pass the tests of the armour in recent years, becoming unsuccessful. But the new generation of Russian IFVs and APCs (Kurganets-25, Bumerang-25, Typhoon-U, Typhoon-K and the new Bulat) can become successful, with maybe the Atom Project, that is very interesting.

    What i like about Typhoon is that its actually appealing to the eyes, which most of the USSR/Russian equipment in past wasnt. Atom i am not sure, if they use its weapon station on Kurganets 25 i assume, but keeping French platform i highly doubt.

    Atom will most likely be a high-quality export market item. I like the looks of the new Russian armor platforms too, however form follows function...even if the old soviet armor wasn't as appealing to the eyes, they performed well enough.

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4839
    Points : 4886
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  Militarov on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:50 am

    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    eehnie wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    eehnie wrote:A little surprised, but it is not bad. The new Typhoons seem to be armored trucks of middle size.

    Well they are MRAPs basically, they need to be heavy. They are on pair in weight with most of foreign solutions too, Renault Higuard, TITUS, Cougar HE, Lazar 2 etc.

    I like the size of the new Typhoons, I think it is the right size for armored vehicles looking forward. Lighter armored vehicle projects are failing to pass the tests of the armour in recent years, becoming unsuccessful. But the new generation of Russian IFVs and APCs (Kurganets-25, Bumerang-25, Typhoon-U, Typhoon-K and the new Bulat) can become successful, with maybe the Atom Project, that is very interesting.

    What i like about Typhoon is that its actually appealing to the eyes, which most of the USSR/Russian equipment in past wasnt. Atom i am not sure, if they use its weapon station on Kurganets 25 i assume, but keeping French platform i highly doubt.

    Atom will most likely be a high-quality export market item. I like the looks of the new Russian armor platforms too, however form follows function...even if the old soviet armor wasn't as appealing to the eyes, they performed well enough.

    I agree on that, its most likely being developed till the end to be an export model for those countries that have better feels for something coming from the West.

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9443
    Points : 9935
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  George1 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:23 am

    RIA Novosti. Russian "defense industry" will create the b] first prototype of the newest car "Typhoon" for the Russian Airborne Troops[/b] in the second half of this year, he told reporters on Thursday the commander, Colonel-General Vladimir Shamanov.

    https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20160121/1362711614.html&usg=ALkJrhiHznWjP6CdTfSoqb6VsI6GxDHxjA


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    wilhelm
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Posts : 224
    Points : 230
    Join date : 2014-12-09

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  wilhelm on Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:35 pm

    eehnie wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    eehnie wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    eehnie wrote:A little surprised, but it is not bad. The new Typhoons seem to be armored trucks of middle size.

    Well they are MRAPs basically, they need to be heavy. They are on pair in weight with most of foreign solutions too, Renault Higuard, TITUS, Cougar HE, Lazar 2 etc.

    I like the size of the new Typhoons, I think it is the right size for armored vehicles looking forward. Lighter armored vehicle projects are failing to pass the tests of the armour in recent years, becoming unsuccessful. But the new generation of Russian IFVs and APCs (Kurganets-25, Bumerang-25, Typhoon-U, Typhoon-K and the new Bulat) can become successful, with maybe the Atom Project, that is very interesting.

    What i like about Typhoon is that its actually appealing to the eyes, which most of the USSR/Russian equipment in past wasnt. Atom i am not sure, if they use its weapon station on Kurganets 25 i assume, but keeping French platform i highly doubt.

    The project is being resumed without France. Check the Atom topic.

    I can't find the Atom topic....do you have a link please?
    EDIT: Nevermind, I found it on Page 2.

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9443
    Points : 9935
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  George1 on Thu May 26, 2016 5:01 am

    Russian Armed Forces reconnaissance and special forces units will soon be bolstered by new mine-resistant, ambush-protected Typhoon vehicles.

    The new vehicles are capable of both navigating rugged terrain and protecting personnel from small arms fire and improvised explosive devices (IEDs).

    It should be noted that the military apparently intends to purchase both the Typhoon-U type vehicles produced by Ural Automotive Plant and the Typhoon-K type manufactured by KamAZ.

    A source in the military told the Russian newspaper Izvestia that the Defense Ministry has already made the decision to purchase the vehicles and is now deciding exactly how many it requires.

    The new armored vehicles will be supplied to reconnaissance battalions and special forces brigades, as well as to recon detachments of regular ground troops, where it will serve as a valuable addition to Tigr (Tiger) all-terrain infantry mobility vehicles.

    "Tigr combat vehicles are more suited for reconnaissance and missions behind enemy lines, while Typhoons will be quite useful in escorting convoys, moving cargo and for urban warfare," the source explained.

    Both the Typhoon-K and Typhoon-U are capable of transporting several tons of cargo or up to 16 servicemen across rough terrain at a speed of up to 100 km/h. The vehicles’ armor is capable of withstanding high-caliber projectiles and protecting the crew from explosive devices with a yield of up to 8 kilograms of TNT.

    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20160525/1040228635/russia-new-armored-vehicles.html#ixzz49j9BlUsb


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    Benya
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Posts : 174
    Points : 178
    Join date : 2016-06-05
    Location : Budapest, Hungary

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  Benya on Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:11 pm

    A big batch of Typhoon-Ks have been recently delivered to the Russian Armed Forces

    Russian company Kamaz delivers 70 Taifun-K MRAPs to Russian Armed Forces

    Russia`s Armed Forces have received over 70 Taifun-K (Typhoon K) heavy mine-resistant ambush-protected (MRAP) vehicles developed by the KAMAZ company (a part of the Rostec state corporation), according to a source in the Russian defense industry.


    Taifun-K (Typhoon K) heavy mine-resistant ambush-protected (MRAP) vehicles (Photo Army Recognition)

    "The subsidiaries of the KAMAZ company have delivered over 70 K63968 Taifun-K MRAP vehicles to Russia`s Ministry of Defense (MoD). At present, an additional batch of the MRAPs is being produced for the Ministry. The customer will receive several more dozens of the Taifun-K vehicles before the year-end," the source said.

    According to open sources, the Taifun-K 6x6 wheeled MRAP vehicle has a combat weight of 24 t, a crew of 2 servicemen, a passenger capacity of 16 mounted soldiers, a length of 8,990 mm, a width of 2,550 mm, a height of 3,300 mm, a maximum road speed of 105 km/h, and an operational range of 1,200 km. Taifun-K is armoured at Level IV STANAG 4569 (All-round protection against 14.5 mm armour-piercing bullets at 200 m distance). The vehicle can be armed with a remote controlled weapon station (RCWS). Taifun-K is powered by YaMZ-5367 (450 h.p.) diesel engine. The vehicle features the newest Gals-D1M combat management system developed by the Volna scientific-research institute.

    Link to the official article:
    Arrow http://www.armyrecognition.com/august_2016_global_defense_security_news_industry/russian_company_kamaz_delivers_70_taifun-k_mraps_to_russian_armed_forces_50808164.html

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3680
    Points : 3792
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  PapaDragon on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:04 pm









    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3680
    Points : 3792
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  PapaDragon on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:23 pm


    It seems that this is the day of the MRAP.

    That new Typhoon is looking more and more likely to be for VDV according to folks online. Fresh pics with moar pow'a on the roof. thumbsup




    Zivo
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1504
    Points : 1540
    Join date : 2012-04-13
    Location : U.S.A.

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  Zivo on Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:34 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    It seems that this is the day of the MRAP.

    That new Typhoon is looking more and more likely to be for VDV according to folks online. Fresh pics with moar pow'a on the roof. thumbsup




    30mm?

    That turret actually kind of looks larger than the 57mm, I wonder if it can also use that?

    OminousSpudd
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 810
    Points : 829
    Join date : 2015-01-03
    Age : 21
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  OminousSpudd on Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:57 am

    Russia makes first MRAP. Builds it with better armament than anything else currently in operation around the globe. russia

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15470
    Points : 16177
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  GarryB on Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:06 pm

    30mm?

    That turret actually kind of looks larger than the 57mm, I wonder if it can also use that?

    I would think a 57mm gun might be fitted to the larger models of Typhoon... there are supposed to be four wheel and six wheel models of the vehicle family and I suspect the four wheel model will have a 30mm turret and the six wheel might have the 57mm gun and perhaps a long recoil 125mm gun as fitted to Sprut in the tank role... or if it is too much the 57mm version might be the tank (ie heavy gun platform vehicle of the family).


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Benya
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Posts : 174
    Points : 178
    Join date : 2016-06-05
    Location : Budapest, Hungary

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  Benya on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:31 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    It seems that this is the day of the MRAP.

    That new Typhoon is looking more and more likely to be for VDV according to folks online. Fresh pics with moar pow'a on the roof. thumbsup




    This Typhoon 4x4 looks cool, but I have some questions about it.  Question

    -First, will the Russian MoD choose this, or the VPK-3927 "Volk" (or maybe both)? IMO there is a high chance of that the Typhoon-K 4x4 will be supplied to the VDV, and the Volk will be used by the Army (Ground Forces)

    -Second, seeing that this is made by KamAZ, what happened to the Typhoon-U series made by Ural? Maybe they didn't received contracts from MoD? Maybe the Typhoon-U will be supplied to the National Guard, and the Typhoon-K will be supplied to the Army, which decision would be logical, since if the Typhoon-U's engine block placed in front of the driver's cabin would receive a hit from, let's say a 12.7mm round, it would be seriously damaged, since the projectile would go through the engine's grating. The Typhoon-K eliminates this danger by it's engine placed behind the driver's cabin, thus allowing a more thicker armor plate to be placed into the front of the driver's cabin, which offers more protection for the driver.

    -Third. It is clear that the one on the right side is equipped with a turret or something, but the other vehicle on the left side is having something similar to it (but I'm sure that it isn't a turret). I think that it is some kind of cover for radio/signal equipment, or the Leer-2 EW complex, but a reconaissance camera on a telescopic mast can also be fitted there too.

    BTW my thoughts are that this could find great use at the VDV supplementing, or even partially/fully replacing the GAZ-2330 Tigr in some roles, since the Tigr is an Armored Mobility Vehicle, and the Typhoon-K 4x4 is an MRAP, which offers more protection against IEDs or other explosives.

    eehnie
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 576
    Points : 601
    Join date : 2015-05-13

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  eehnie on Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:32 pm

    Benya wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    It seems that this is the day of the MRAP.

    That new Typhoon is looking more and more likely to be for VDV according to folks online. Fresh pics with moar pow'a on the roof. thumbsup




    This Typhoon 4x4 looks cool, but I have some questions about it.  Question

    -First, will the Russian MoD choose this, or the VPK-3927 "Volk" (or maybe both)? IMO there is a high chance of that the Typhoon-K 4x4 will be supplied to the VDV, and the Volk will be used by the Army (Ground Forces)

    -Second, seeing that this is made by KamAZ, what happened to the Typhoon-U series made by Ural? Maybe they didn't received contracts from MoD? Maybe the Typhoon-U will be supplied to the National Guard, and the Typhoon-K will be supplied to the Army, which decision would be logical, since if the Typhoon-U's engine block placed in front of the driver's cabin would receive a hit from, let's say a 12.7mm round, it would be seriously damaged, since the projectile would go through the engine's grating. The Typhoon-K eliminates this danger by it's engine placed behind the driver's cabin, thus allowing a more thicker armor plate to be placed into the front of the driver's cabin, which offers more protection for the driver.

    -Third. It is clear that the one on the right side is equipped with a turret or something, but the other vehicle on the left side is having something similar to it (but I'm sure that it isn't a turret). I think that it is some kind of cover for radio/signal equipment, or the Leer-2 EW complex, but a reconaissance camera on a telescopic mast can also be fitted there too.

    BTW my thoughts are that this could find great use at the VDV supplementing, or even partially/fully replacing the GAZ-2330 Tigr in some roles, since the Tigr is an Armored Mobility Vehicle, and the Typhoon-K 4x4 is an MRAP, which offers more protection against IEDs or other explosives.

    There are reports of both 6x6 Typhoon-K and Typhoon-U ordered and delivered. They seems good a successful vehicles to me.

    About smaller vehicles, I think all are having big troubles to pass the tests and to be officially adopted by the Russian Armed Forces. There are multiple models like this Typhoon 4x4, the Volk,... but all are failling by the same way in the last years. (Note that I agree with the standards demanded by the current tests for armoured vehicles to work in contested areas.)

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3680
    Points : 3792
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:51 pm

    eehnie wrote:...........................
    There are reports of both 6x6 Typhoon-K and Typhoon-U ordered and delivered. They seems good a successful vehicles to me.

    About smaller vehicles, I think all are having big troubles to pass the tests and to be officially adopted by the Russian Armed Forces. There are multiple models like this Typhoon 4x4, the Volk,... but all are failling by the same way in the last years. (Note that I agree with the standards demanded by the current tests for armoured vehicles to work in contested areas.)

    Well it was recently confirmed that 70 Typhoon-K 6x6 were delivered to RU Military so that model is a go. It seems to be already in service with Assault Engineers.



    I don't really know status of Ural MRAPs.

    Tigers and Lynx (Iveco) are in production and service of course but with a catch. Tigers have superior armor, off-road performance and internal space to Lynx but Lynx has superior mine resistance (level 6 as opposed to level 3 on Tiger). There were recent news that new Tiger was developed with level 6 mine resistance so we will se how that goes.

    Kamaz was developing Typhoon-K 53949 4x4 but it was not accepted due to imported components used in production. This new VDV Typhoon we see now is evolution of that model with fully localized components. If it is proven successful I see no reason why Army would not accept it as well in service to replace/supplant Tigers, Lynx and Ural MRAP.

    From what I can guesstimate based on those pics it looks like it fits the bill on all criteria (wheel size, internal space, clearance, armament capacity). With decent armor this should translate into good off-road performance, protection from bullets and mines, capacity and crew comfort.

    All this would leave very little need for Volk. Volk was supposed to be better MRAP than Tiger but with level 6 Tiger coming soon and this new Kamaz there is simply no point in getting Volks.



    Here is the first pic of this model just in case:


    Zivo
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1504
    Points : 1540
    Join date : 2012-04-13
    Location : U.S.A.

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  Zivo on Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:59 am

    Kamaz appears to be far ahead of their other rivals in the russian MIC, pretty soon the selection for the Army is going to be a one horse race.


    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  sepheronx on Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:22 am

    Tiger is UMZ so not quite, especially since Tiger is in widespread use already. The recent tests of Tiger using A6 anti-mine protection brings it further ahead already. This new system is interesting since it has such a powerful weapon on top, but chances are, due to Tiger already being in widespread use, they will opt for the newer variant with much more mine protection. Essentially, it will make it far better than Iveco and the rest since it already has better protection against ammunition.

    kvs
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2526
    Points : 2659
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  kvs on Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:45 am

    sepheronx wrote:Tiger is UMZ so not quite, especially since Tiger is in widespread use already.  The recent tests of Tiger using A6 anti-mine protection brings it further ahead already.  This new system is interesting since it has such a powerful weapon on top, but chances are, due to Tiger already being in widespread use, they will opt for the newer variant with much more mine protection.  Essentially, it will make it far better than Iveco and the rest since it already has better protection against ammunition.

    This highlights that Serdyukov was a comprador scumbag whose task was to keep Russia dependent. Import substitution and domestic
    production are the best thing for Russia. One of the main reasons why NATO is foaming at the mouth at Russia is that Russia is a
    serious technology competitor. It has the potential to cluster most of the world around itself (why would countries buy crap from
    NATO for high prices instead of buying world leading products for lower prices from Russia). This is an existential threat to NATO.

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  sepheronx on Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:28 am

    Well, we can take comfort to know that Serdyukov was ousted long before this situations occurred. In the end, pretty much Serdyukov's reforms have all been reversed, and for the better too.

    magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4468
    Points : 4659
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:55 am

    sepheronx wrote:Well, we can take comfort to know that Serdyukov was ousted long before this situations occurred.  In the end, pretty much Serdyukov's reforms have all been reversed, and for the better too.

    But let's not act like the special interests whispering in Serdyukov's ear weren't the same people forming the MINSK treaties (Germany, France). The psuedo-cooperation between Germany, France, and Russia is just laughable. You have Germany, a country with the most Russophobic media in the world (according to Russia media watchdogs) and the same country with most of their biggest industrial enterprises having profiteered on the Nazi invasion of the USSR (it's shameful watching Russian's drive Mercedes-Benz's), and you have France, a country who trafficked countless arms and ammunition towards the Free Sectarian Army, and blocked the delivery of the Mistral's with non-contractional obligations.

    With the death of the Nord Stream-2 pipeline, the death of South Stream pipeline, the sanctions, the tariff's slapped on Russian steel, failed treaties that seen thousands of Russian speakers killed just to save corrupt German business interests in Russia, support for the coup in Kiev back in February of 2014, the bribing of Duma/Kremlin officials for Russian procurement of geo-strategically hazardous NATO state controlled gear, to the endless Russophobic propaganda (German news media were the biggest jeerleaders for the Russian ban in the Olympics)...it's time to realize that problem is just as much cooperation with the West as it is with Neo-Liberal infiltration of govt. and business. Germany and France are doing nothing more than playing the classic gambit of "Good Cop", to the US/UK's "Bad Cop".

    ...Of course this was all made possible thanks to Neo-Liberal Manchurian Candidate, Medvedev.

    Project Canada
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 531
    Points : 540
    Join date : 2015-07-20
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  Project Canada on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:02 am

    magnumcromagnon wrote:

    ...Of course this was all made possible thanks to Neo-Liberal Manchurian Candidate, Medvedev.


    I hope at the time of Putin's departure from politics, Medvedev won't comeback as President, someone more aggressive and strategic than Putin should be at the helm.

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  sepheronx on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:13 am

    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Well, we can take comfort to know that Serdyukov was ousted long before this situations occurred.  In the end, pretty much Serdyukov's reforms have all been reversed, and for the better too.

    But let's not act like the special interests whispering in Serdyukov's ear weren't the same people forming the MINSK treaties (Germany, France). The psuedo-cooperation between Germany, France, and Russia is just laughable. You have Germany, a country with the most Russophobic media in the world (according to Russia media watchdogs) and the same country with most of their biggest industrial enterprises having profiteered on the Nazi invasion of the USSR (it's shameful watching Russian's drive Mercedes-Benz's), and you have France, a country who trafficked countless arms and ammunition towards the Free Sectarian Army, and blocked the delivery of the Mistral's with non-contractional obligations.

    With the death of the Nord Stream-2 pipeline, the death of South Stream pipeline, the sanctions, the tariff's slapped on Russian steel, failed treaties that seen thousands of Russian speakers killed just to save corrupt German business interests in Russia, support for the coup in Kiev back in February of 2014, the bribing of Duma/Kremlin officials for Russian procurement of geo-strategically hazardous NATO state controlled gear, to the endless Russophobic propaganda (German news media were the biggest jeerleaders for the Russian ban in the Olympics)...it's time to realize that problem is just as much cooperation with the West as it is with Neo-Liberal infiltration of govt. and business. Germany and France are doing nothing more than playing the classic gambit of "Good Cop", to the US/UK's "Bad Cop".

    ...Of course this was all made possible thanks to Neo-Liberal Manchurian Candidate, Medvedev.

    And yet Medvedev did two moves that were very unpopular with the Liberals - Fired Kudrin and dealt a major blow to Georgia. Only real mistake of Medvedev was Libya and he didn't last in power. You guys think it is all black and white but it isn't, it is mostly the grey area. Serdyukov was one of the last of the few who felt that Russia could be accepted by the west. His decision to purchase from abroad but to have them built in Russia isn't wrong even if I was against it. It was an attempt to get Russian enterprises modernized and capable of building comparable technology in a very short period of time, rather than building it from scratch like they are doing with a lot of equipment. He also was one of the victims of thinking Western style military formations was most ideal, and he was wrong, partially. Soviet structure was outdated and not comparable in today's warfare. Now it has been adjusted again and this time, final (I hope).

    I don't trust Germany, UK, France or USA anymore than anyone else. But if they are willing to open a manufacturing plant in Russia to produce goods in Russia to sell to other countries and themselves, I see nothing wrong with it. Average Russian doesn't give a crap and will purchase what they want, and this goes for anyone. Germany did a lot of damage to a lot of people all around the world, same with Japan, same with USA, same with Russia, same with...etc etc etc. People still purchase each others goods.

    Point of the matter is, the sanctions mixed in with current geo-politics have awakened most Russians (very small minority still blind) and so it wont be the same, not for a long time. Now Russia has no choice but to further entrench itself economically and politically, and so it will and currently is. And others see this and are trying to get into the market of Russia by opening manufacturing facilities or opening a new production line with current companies, before someone else does.

    Big_Gazza
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 510
    Points : 534
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  Big_Gazza on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:39 pm

    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    With the death of the Nord Stream-2 pipeline....

    Say what? I think you are barking up the wrong tree there amigo...

    eehnie
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 576
    Points : 601
    Join date : 2015-05-13

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  eehnie on Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:49 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    eehnie wrote:...........................
    There are reports of both 6x6 Typhoon-K and Typhoon-U ordered and delivered. They seems good a successful vehicles to me.

    About smaller vehicles, I think all are having big troubles to pass the tests and to be officially adopted by the Russian Armed Forces. There are multiple models like this Typhoon 4x4, the Volk,... but all are failling by the same way in the last years. (Note that I agree with the standards demanded by the current tests for armoured vehicles to work in contested areas.)

    Well it was recently confirmed that 70 Typhoon-K 6x6 were delivered to RU Military so that model is a go. It seems to be already in service with Assault Engineers.



    I don't really know status of Ural MRAPs.

    Tigers and Lynx (Iveco) are in production and service of course but with a catch. Tigers have superior armor, off-road performance and internal space to Lynx but Lynx has superior mine resistance (level 6 as opposed to level 3 on Tiger). There were recent news that new Tiger was developed with level 6 mine resistance so we will se how that goes.

    Kamaz was developing Typhoon-K 53949 4x4 but it was not accepted due to imported components used in production. This new VDV Typhoon we see now is evolution of that model with fully localized components. If it is proven successful I see no reason why Army would not accept it as well in service to replace/supplant Tigers, Lynx and Ural MRAP.

    From what I can guesstimate based on those pics it looks like it fits the bill on all criteria (wheel size, internal space, clearance, armament capacity). With decent armor this should translate into good off-road performance, protection from bullets and mines, capacity and crew comfort.

    All this would leave very little need for Volk. Volk was supposed to be better MRAP than Tiger but with level 6 Tiger coming soon and this new Kamaz there is simply no point in getting Volks.



    Here is the first pic of this model just in case:


    The following link as example shows the Typhoon-U in use by the Russian Armed Forces:

    http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20150325/1054305076.html
    https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=es&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fria.ru%2Fdefense_safety%2F20150325%2F1054305076.html

    Both 6x6 vehicles, the Typhoon-U and the Typhoon-K seem good options to me. In the case of the Typhoon-U I can not confirm if the part of the engine is also armoured, I would say it is, but can not confirm it. The front fart of the box for the engine can have some aditional armour hidden, it would not be a problem.

    These 6x6 vehicles are between 20 and 25 tons, which allow them to have enough armour, but in the case of the vehicles under 15 tons, I do not think it will be something good enough. The BMD-4M is for me the vehicle that marks the minimum standard for a successful vehicle for contested/combat areas today in Russia. I think it is very difficult to see weaker new vehicles adopted by the Russian Armed Forces, except if they are to work outside of the combat areas.

    Instead, these smaller vehicles can find their place for other security forces.

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15470
    Points : 16177
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  GarryB on Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:13 pm

    The Typhoon vehicles are a family of vehicles... like Kurganets, Boomerang, and Armata.

    Volk and Tiger are like a BMP or BTR... it has a range of variants but there is no complete family of vehicles... ie no tank version etc.

    Typhoon will be the very light vehicle family and may only be used in VDV or light recon units as the vehicle basis. Where speed and transportability by rail or air is top priority.

    It will enter service in one form or another.

    I rather suspect the Boomerang family will be the most heavily used and produced because it will be cheap and mobile and well armoured and well armed.

    For any net centric military it will be critical to collect data and light highly mobile units will be one way of doing that... along with drones and satellites etc etc.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Sponsored content

    Re: Typhoon MRAP family vechiles

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:07 pm


      Current date/time is Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:07 pm