Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

The "I want to join the Russian Army" Thread

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: The "I want to join the Russian Army" Thread

Post  GarryB on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:05 am

There would be enormous competition to join the VDV... I rather doubt they would accept foreign applicants for these positions as they would already likely have lots and lots of Russians wanting the job.

As to tests... I am sorry, but I have no idea.

I would guess as long as you could speak and understand Russian fluently and could write it and read it of course then communication should not be a problem.

You would probably need fairly convincing answers to questions like Why don't you want to join the army of your own country? and why do you want to serve a country that you were not brought up in?

The Russians are not fighting in Afghanistan like the US Army is so they will not be so desperate for recruits.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Cyberspec
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Cyberspec on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:13 am

If you're of Russian origin (1st generation?) then I suspect you could find it easier to join the Army. There were a couple of shows featuring a French guy of Russian origin serving in the Naval Infantry and a Cuban guy (his mother is Russian) serving in a Recce unit.

Just a word of caution, serving in the Army isn't like in the movies....it's very hard for people used to a comfortable civilian life...especially the first month or two. I lost almost 10 kg when I served. When my mum saw me at the oath giving ceremony she nearly cried Very Happy I couldn't handle the food at first and you're constantly physically active with little rest or sleep...not too mention the harassment from the old hands
    Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Post  Vladimir79 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:44 pm

KomissarBojanchev wrote:I thought dedovschina meant fatherland Suspect

It means rule of the grandfathers. When a senior hazes you for initiation into a unit, it is dedovshchina.

Well thats really horrible what you say. Has it been widespread in soviet times or is it after that when budget and discipline is low?

To meet the man power shortage after The Great Patriotic War, it was necessary to recruit criminals who brought it into the system.

Do army officials and officers encourage torturing the newcomers or is there just no interest in removing the problem?

Before it was just an accepted part of the system, now no officer that wants a job will encourage it. The problem was that 3 year conscripts would be serving their last year and haze first year recruits. Well that has been done away with to 2 year so conscripts are much closer together. Someone with a few months more experience than you isn't likely to go around bossing you as someone with nearly 3 years.

Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Post  Vladimir79 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Legionary74 wrote:

Wait wha? In my understanding, if a foreigner joins the Russian military under a 5 year contract they can be granted citizenship after 3 year?

That is the policy, but it isn't the case. No one but Russian ethnics in FSU countries with Russian bases have been granted entry. It is just another policy to promote border Russians back to their homeland and to fill billets at foreign bases.

Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Post  Vladimir79 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Legionary74 wrote:What exactly is this Russian Foreign Legion? Is it part of the Ground Forces or something, I can't find anything about it. Foreigners join up and do they live in Russia or are they stationed around the world or something? After 3 years we become a citizen in it? I can't find anything about it on the internet other than if we sign a 5 year contract we get citizenship after 3. Will it help out with my Russian skills? I'm learning Russian now, and have a good 3 years to go before I make any career decisions. How many Americans/British serve in it? How many people in total? Is the salary the same as the regular contract soldiers? After we become citizens, would they allow a transfer to the VDV or Navy?

EDIT: If my research is correct, the pay is about $4,000 USD a year?

There is no Russian FL. They are ethnic Russians living in FSU countries that have Russian bases or installations. They are usually stationed in the country they signed in on our foreign installations. They must be fluent in Russian as no language course will be given. There are no Americans, British or anyone from the West. They are all denied. It is never greater than 1200. They are signing a 5 year contract and are compensated the same as other kontraktniki. The pay rate has changed since I was in. I only received $700 a month in 2000 having para and war stipend. This is the new pay schedule as of this year.

Monthly pay rate based on posting (min-max, depending on tariff bracket):

Rifleman: RUB 10,000-12,500 ($350-450)
    Detachment commander: RUB 14,500-15,000 ($520-540)
    Platoon commander: RUB 20,000-20,500 ($720-730)
    Battalion commander: RUB 24,000-24,500 ($860-880)
    Brigade commander: RUB 29,000 ($1,040)
    Army commander: RUB 37,000 ($1,320)
    Deputy minister of defense: RUB 44,000 ($1,570)

Monthly pay rate based on rank:

Private: RUB 5,000 ($180)
    Sergeant: RUB 6,500 ($230)
    Lieutenant: RUB 10,000 ($360)
    Major: RUB 11,500 ($410)
    Colonel: RUB 13,000 ($470)
    Lt.-General: RUB 17,000 ($610)
    Col.-General: RUB 20,000 ($720)

Extra bonuses:

Monthly bonus for seniority: 2-5 years - 10%, 5-10 years - 15%, 10-15 years - 20%, 15-20 years - 25%, 20-25 years - 30%, 25 years and more - 40%
    Monthly bonus for class qualification: 3rd class - 5%, 2nd class - 10%, 1st class - 20%, master class - 30%
    Monthly bonus for working with classified materials: "Critical importance" - 25%, "Top Secret" - 20%, "Secret" - 10%
    Monthly bonus for special conditions of service: 100% of monthly pay rate
    Monthly bonus for peacetime service connected with risk to life and health: 100% of monthly pay rate
    Monthly bonus for special service merit: 100% of monthly pay rate
    Bonus for effective discharge of duty: Up to 3 monthly pay rates a year
    Annual material support: No less that one monthly pay rate

SWAT Pointman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post  SWAT Pointman on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Just like I thought, it would be next to impossible for somebody from the west to join the Russian army. It's not a smart move on their part to deny foreigners entry, but I suppose they do not want an army composed of foreigners. It would look very bad for them.
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks for the correct info Vlad.

The French have a foreign legion as very much a mercenary force that is disposable that they can use amongst their numerous colonies around the place.

It wouldn't really make too much sense for Russia to have a foreign legion because they really don't have much use for them.

It would also represent a way of infiltrating the Russia military, but then even serving in a foreign legion type unit I doubt a foreigner with French citizenship from serving in the legion would get into a position of trust with serious secrets etc.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Cyberspec
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Cyberspec on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:54 am

The 2 cases I mentioned previosly

Gary the Cuban-Russian scout
    http://www.vesti.ru/only_video.html?vid=337082

Alen, the Frenchie in the Russian Marines
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5KzIXJA__g

Legionary74
    Private
    Private

Post  Legionary74 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:48 am

So unless I spend 5 years as a civilian and then get citizenship, I have no hope of getting into the Russian military? Is there any kind of waivers or anything at all possible for a way to get in without having to get citizenship first?
    Pirate
    Private
    Private

Post  Pirate on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Vladimir79 wrote:
    Legionary74 wrote:What exactly is this Russian Foreign Legion? Is it part of the Ground Forces or something, I can't find anything about it. Foreigners join up and do they live in Russia or are they stationed around the world or something? After 3 years we become a citizen in it? I can't find anything about it on the internet other than if we sign a 5 year contract we get citizenship after 3. Will it help out with my Russian skills? I'm learning Russian now, and have a good 3 years to go before I make any career decisions. How many Americans/British serve in it? How many people in total? Is the salary the same as the regular contract soldiers? After we become citizens, would they allow a transfer to the VDV or Navy?

EDIT: If my research is correct, the pay is about $4,000 USD a year?

There is no Russian FL. They are ethnic Russians living in FSU countries that have Russian bases or installations. They are usually stationed in the country they signed in on our foreign installations. They must be fluent in Russian as no language course will be given. There are no Americans, British or anyone from the West. They are all denied. It is never greater than 1200. They are signing a 5 year contract and are compensated the same as other kontraktniki. The pay rate has changed since I was in. I only received $700 a month in 2000 having para and war stipend. This is the new pay schedule as of this year.

Monthly pay rate based on posting (min-max, depending on tariff bracket):

Rifleman: RUB 10,000-12,500 ($350-450)
    Detachment commander: RUB 14,500-15,000 ($520-540)
    Platoon commander: RUB 20,000-20,500 ($720-730)
    Battalion commander: RUB 24,000-24,500 ($860-880)
    Brigade commander: RUB 29,000 ($1,040)
    Army commander: RUB 37,000 ($1,320)
    Deputy minister of defense: RUB 44,000 ($1,570)

Monthly pay rate based on rank:

Private: RUB 5,000 ($180)
    Sergeant: RUB 6,500 ($230)
    Lieutenant: RUB 10,000 ($360)
    Major: RUB 11,500 ($410)
    Colonel: RUB 13,000 ($470)
    Lt.-General: RUB 17,000 ($610)
    Col.-General: RUB 20,000 ($720)

Extra bonuses:

Monthly bonus for seniority: 2-5 years - 10%, 5-10 years - 15%, 10-15 years - 20%, 15-20 years - 25%, 20-25 years - 30%, 25 years and more - 40%
    Monthly bonus for class qualification: 3rd class - 5%, 2nd class - 10%, 1st class - 20%, master class - 30%
    Monthly bonus for working with classified materials: "Critical importance" - 25%, "Top Secret" - 20%, "Secret" - 10%
    Monthly bonus for special conditions of service: 100% of monthly pay rate
    Monthly bonus for peacetime service connected with risk to life and health: 100% of monthly pay rate
    Monthly bonus for special service merit: 100% of monthly pay rate
    Bonus for effective discharge of duty: Up to 3 monthly pay rates a year
    Annual material support: No less that one monthly pay rate

You have outdate information. Since this year the private of armed forces gets 830-930$ per month, the Sergeant gets 1,160-1,260$ per month. Lieutenants and Majors gets about 2,000$ and more

mbwilding
    Private
    Private

How does a 21 year old Australian go about joining the Russian Army?

Post  mbwilding on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:16 pm

How does a 21 year old Australian go about joining the Russian Army?
    flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:05 am

Seems like there's someone like you coming along every few months Cool

Anyway, check out this thread as well; I go into a little detail about the physical standards and such - maybe it can help you decide if its the right path for you http://www.russiadefence.net/t1768-englishman-here
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:15 am

Hey, with all the new technology and weapons they are going to introduce over the next few years even I would consider joining the Russian military if I was in my 20s again.

Sadly that ship has already sailed, so I will have to satisfy myself with books and videos and talking to people on the internet...

Of course you would have to be pretty clear in why you would want to do this because of course they will ask and if you give the wrong answer or they don't believe you then I doubt they will take you on...

Imagine a young Russian man wanting to join the US or Australian military who doesn't speak or read English.

SWAT Pointman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post  SWAT Pointman on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:28 pm

It seems quite improbable that a foreigner from a non former Soviet republic would have any chance of joining.
    flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:26 am

SWAT Pointman wrote:It seems quite improbable that a foreigner from a non former Soviet republic would have any chance of joining.

Well with all these Englishmen/Americans/Australians banging at the gates they will soon have to make provisions won't they Smile

BTRfan
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  BTRfan on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:28 am

Does Russia allow foreigners to gain citizenship and serve in the Russian Armed Forces?

Would a foreigner be able to move to Russia and attend an Air Force or Naval Academy and earn a commission as an officer?
    Pirate
    Private
    Private

Post  Pirate on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:26 am

Legionary74 wrote:Hey again. I have a few years before I'm capable of moving anywhere on my own, but I have a few questions. I was born and raised in NYC, USA, but my family descends from Russia. I have a burning patriotism for Russia and the USSR, and a slight opposition to the US and NATO. I wish to go to Russia when I'm about 18-20. I began learning Russia not too long ago using pimsleur, I memorized the alphabet, and it's coming along nicely. To the point, however, I would like to move there to join the VDV, Navy or the Bureau of Prisons (I forgot the exact name). As an American, I've lived in a world surrounded by Anti-Russian propaganda, some of which is difficult to sort. In my understanding, dedovchina is the hazing of conscripts, and I wish to become a fully contracted soldier. Not to sound weak, but are the stories of abuse and forced prostitution among the military for contract soldiers really as bad as America makes it sound? Are the VDV an all volunteer force (I read that here a few minute ago)?

Also in my understanding, if I signed a 5 year contract, I would be given the option for citizenship in 3? I also read that foreigners can join without an education? This is just in the worst of situations, I'm planning on getting my US high school diploma. Before I move to Russia, will I have to get it translated or converted in some way to the Russian equivalent? (I read its called the attestat something). I've read everything from Russian people being nice and caring to being brutal and anti-American to the core. In the Military, I would assume some are fiercely anti-American, but with my dislike for America and love for Russia, would they single me out in some way?

I've read through the Russian Embassy site, and similar Military sites, but I haven't gotten a clear example on the salary. I read Lieutenants are guaranteed about 50,000 rubles a year (or month?) so if I'm correct, an entry level enlisted person would get $600 USD a year? Can a commanding officer take that salary and keep it for himself in some cases? I also read that most of Russia is incredibly poor and starving, etc, and I've also read the people are doing just fine. I'm having a difficult time clearing up between American exaggerated anti-Russian propaganda and the real thing. Can anyone clear it up?

EDIT: Also, how long is VDV training, and what is it like? Does Russia have an organized training structure like the US, or are recruits just given to a CO and he trains them how he sees fit? I'm also a practitioner of Systema for what it's worth
    Man 50,000 rubles is about 2,000 US dollars. 1us dollar is 30 rubles
    Ak103
    Private
    Private

American join russian army?

Post  Ak103 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:41 pm

I know this sounds crazy but hear me out first. So I dropped out and got my GED I was considering joining the us marines but personally I think Russia has a better military and there is too much politics involved even in the american military. I was researching it and Russia opened up there military to foreigners I don't know if that is still active or if it was temporary but is It possible I join? and if I could how rough would it be being an american there?
    flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:10 pm

You're not the first one to make the inquiry.

And I'd say, just like I said to everyone else - that I think that nothing's impossible. The Russian military has had all sorts already, and many foreign citizens (albeit with dual Russian citizenship too)

But there would be a lot involved, don't make any mistake about that.

First of all you should start learning Russian intensively. Preferably, either finish your studies in the US and move to Russia as an expat, or take a year to learn the basics about Russia, start correspondences with people in Russia and learn some of the language - and then apply for an English language course at a Russian university - there are some for certain disciplines.
    Once there, try to involve yourself in Russian life and the Russian language as much as possible. Then apply for residency and start inquiring about citizenship, and also military service. Citizenship may be possible after about 4-5 years; after which you would be eligible for conscription (and soon after that - contract service) but there were some plans in the pipeline that would allow foreign citizens, at least from certain countries to serve in certain units in the Russian military; something like the French foreign legion.

Research your family. If you have any family ties with Russia, even distant ones; then try and use them to secure citizenship - there are a lot of laws being passed in Russia about these sorts of things these days, and it's quite possible that you will find something applicable. If not, perhaps you have a chance at Ukrainian, Belorussian, Armenian, or whatever else citizenship if you have some ties to those countries - citizens of CIS countries will often find the route to Russian military service, or citizenship a lot quicker/more open to them. If you have some Jewish roots, look to see if these roots hail from Russia or the ex-USSR.

Work on your PT at the same time; in particular a good score in pull-ups (+14 in a row, palms facing outwards), push-ups (try for +50 in a minute) and 3km runs (you should do it in 12 mins or less; 11 mins would be an excellent result).
    Other things you may encounter are 6km runs, straight 100m sprints, 100m sprints in 10m intervals (changing direction 180 degrees every 10 meters, and its tough as shit), sit-ups, and maximum number of sit-ups and push-ups combined in 60s.
    There are in total some 50-60 possible exercises in the PT system of the Russian military; everything from short runs to long-distance runs, all sorts of movements using your own body weight or other weights, etc... but the ones I named are by far the most common.
    The whole thing works on a point system similar to the US military; although the standards themselves are different.
    You need a good score; even for just normal contract service, and especially for marines/VDV/motor-rifles/Spetsnaz/etc...

For conscript service these PT standards aren't that important (albeit would still considerably increase your chances of getting into a combat unit from the start, if that's what you're aiming for), but you will be given the option of contract service starting from about 6 months into your service (sometimes you'll have to finish your current conscript posting before transferring, sometimes not), and then that's when you will be assessed.

Note that now you have a new law coming out which stipulates giving conscripts the choice between 1 year conscript service and 2 years professional service right from the beginning. It's a shame I wasn't given that choice - I would have chosen the professional service in an instant. More interesting, better training, better food, leave allowances, personal effects/objects, and you'll get paid (probably); all for only 1 more measly year of service.
    In this case I guess your PT will be assessed from the beginning; although who knows.

And no I don't think you'll get any stick as an American. People will be curious. Ladies will love you. Don't worry Cool 
    But you will need to pull your weight same as anyone else, no special allowances.

calripson
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Good Advice

Post  calripson on Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:18 pm

All the above is good advice. Do you speak any Russian ? Have you ever been to Russia as a tourist ? If not, plan a trip as a start and start studying the language. It is a difficult language for English speakers to master. After years I can converse but in no way am I fluent.

If you like it there and want to move there look for a job in an American themed club/restaurant/bar. With a GED you are certainly not getting any high paying jobs. You can look for jobs online in the Moscow Times. The easiest path to citizenship is marrying a Russian girl. Fortunately, there is no shortage of attractive Russian girls but they are a lot more picky then back in the 1990s when an American passport was the ticket to model quality dyevs.
    Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:40 pm

Very welcomed idea, but I hope You stand by Your word and actually join as most of people who want to join just chicken out. 
    Why don't You contact Russian embassy directly? 
    I don't want to scare You, but if You expect it to be easy then better join USMC or SEALS Smile 

I personally know some russian expats who tried and couple actually joined Russian military. Even strange Russian-Jewish guy served in Russia and then in Israel (it really helps You to get a good job in both countries). 

I presume You have to live in Russia for awhile to properly learn the language and ... "panetki".
    You are "pindos" to russians, a stereotype of American who is weak person. Don't get offended, not aiming directly at You, but this stereotype is pretty much global for Americans. I know that is not generally true, same as I am automatically a nazi to Russians when I say that I'm from Baltics and probably I would be the target in the service for first months Very Happy 
    No one would feel too much love for You as most conscripts don't even like expat dreamers who join military just for so called "patriotic safari". "Dedovschina" is mostly gone, don't expect schools atmosphere and be really to stand for Yourself and not in american way of saying F off Very Happy You have to be strong personality. 

People who serve in Russian military are not always happy that they are conscripted, they are not just some weak teenagers who only lived in nice neighborhoods, had nice iphones, they don't have rich parents who bought them out of draft, most of them would be badass in every way. Look at some our Russian members here who are outright badass. 
    Education wise Russians are strong too and most of them would wipe their arses with US GED degree. Compare it to Russian G.I.A. and further E.G.Ye exam. Most of soldiers and 94 percent population will have one of them.

Real and professional service starts when You are contract soldier anyways. After 3 years of service You can get Russian citizenship and continue to pursue military career. Wages are good for contract soldiers it gets even better if You decide to have family in Russia. 

Have fun with paperwork. It might be hard to get Your health card and then medical "biliet", as You have to go to polyclinic to get Your health checked before You go to "voenkomat". Or maybe it can be done straight there, not sure how it works, but my friend had problems with it. Anyways If You want it so much then YOU will make it happen. There will be no one helping You. And that is the beauty of YOU serving the military not the other way around.
    Good luck!

As Sa'iqa
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  As Sa'iqa on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Why wo you want to join the Russian army? If I had to choose, I would stick to the Marines, eventually one of euro armies... better trained, they pay more and cultural difference is smaller.

if you were f Russian descent and spoke Russian fluently, your idea would make sense. Otherwise, I don't see much of it personally.
    flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:04 pm

Regular wrote:I presume You have to live in Russia for awhile to properly learn the language and ... "panetki".
    You are "pindos" to russians, a stereotype of American who is weak person. Don't get offended, not aiming directly at You, but this stereotype is pretty much global for Americans. I know that is not generally true, same as I am automatically a nazi to Russians when I say that I'm from Baltics and probably I would be the target in the service for first months Very Happy 
    No one would feel too much love for You as most conscripts don't even like expat dreamers who join military just for so called "patriotic safari". "Dedovschina" is mostly gone, don't expect schools atmosphere and be really to stand for Yourself and not in american way of saying F off Very Happy You have to be strong personality. 
    lol, Regular, while I agree with 90% of what you said - I have to point out that as a royal subject of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II who served in the Russian military (I guess I went on what you call a 'patriotic safari', albeit it didn't seem like much of a safari to me), I can personally attest to the fact that by far the most important factor in how people will treat you and what attitude they will have to you - is how much trouble, BS, or extra work they get because of you. It's your own actions and behavior that decides everything. Your origins, whatever they might be, might be the cause for the initial attitudes of a small amount of people to be different for you than for others; but that will quickly change, and this sort of thing will become basically irrelevant once you start living/labouring/soldiering together.
    Ak103
    Private
    Private

Post  Ak103 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks for the advice guys I'll start working out more and learn russian Very Happy fortunatley for me my dad works for the airlines so I can fly there free that will definatley help my family is from germany but lived the past 700 years in romania before moving to america aparently the part of romania they were living in was took over by the ukraine during WWII and we have all our original family in the ukraine right now anyone know a town called seletin? i cant seem to find it maybe im spelling it wrong either way that is very good news
    Ak103
    Private
    Private

Post  Ak103 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:40 pm

So If I learned the language and got my citizenship how would I go about becoming a paratrooper?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:41 am