Russian Assault Rifles / Machine Guns: Discussion

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Russian Assault Rifles / Machine Guns: Discussion

Post  KoTeMoRe on Fri May 06, 2016 11:57 pm

Elbows wrote:
    Regular wrote:
    Elbows wrote:Ouch.  What niche does this fill?  Aimed at military adoption or export/civilian sales?  
    Kalashnikov lads targeted Trump supporters niche as he would be the one recalling #lolsanctions. AK-400 series would be sold in US like hotcakes. Kalashnikov can cook their stuff for civilians tho Europussian and Russian markets are just a fraction compared to Untitled States gun nuts.  Amerikanskies love 7,62x39. They love tacticool shit too, so they can hang it like it's a Xmas tree. Looks like best rail mount for AK systems. Not sure why it still have selector that predates Christ, but whatever. Recoil, stability, ergonomics puts it on top of it's game. I trust Vickers here. It's pre production model so it can change, but overall I have no doubt Kalashnikov will dominate and they are going luxury.

Hey, as an American AK user, we're not all like that. Cool   I'm sure you guys would be fine running my "go to" rig.

14,000 rounds and running strong.  Accurate, light-weight, robust.  

I think that for all purposes that is sweet.

But really, I'm puzzled and pissed off about the 400. Because it should be called the AD 400.

Elbows
    Private
    Private

Post  Elbows on Sat May 07, 2016 3:30 am

wilhelm wrote:Elbows, that is a very fine looking AK. thumbsup

Thanks! I have two of them, been carrying/shooting them for about 10 years now.

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Sat May 07, 2016 5:37 am

Hello from the other side.

Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Sat May 07, 2016 11:00 am

KoTeMoRe wrote:

Hello from the other side.
    Kicks like a mule. Must be 7,62x39. So Russian army will finally get squad automatic weapon as RPK is not being issued no more (according to some members here)

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Sat May 07, 2016 11:17 am

Well, again de should call this the RPD.

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Sat May 07, 2016 5:09 pm

... Aaaaand longer video with description.

Rifle is available in both calibres. Also NOT an RPK, ths is clearly a Dragunov design. So Ima call this RPD-400.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sun May 08, 2016 1:10 pm

Rifle is available in both calibres. Also NOT an RPK, ths is clearly a Dragunov design. So Ima call this RPD-400.

Errr... if it is not a light machine gun (ie RPD-400) then it should be an AD-400 by your own logic... Laughing

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Sun May 08, 2016 2:51 pm

Elbows wrote:
    wilhelm wrote:Elbows, that is a very fine looking AK. thumbsup

Thanks!  I have two of them, been carrying/shooting them for about 10 years now.  

No household should be without one thumbsup

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Sun May 08, 2016 5:12 pm

GarryB wrote:

Errr... if it is not a light machine gun (ie RPD-400) then it should be an AD-400 by your own logic... Laughing

It's a light machine gun. Strengthened reciever, longer heavier barrel, RPD as in Ruchnoy Pulemet Dragunov, Not RPK (Ruchnoy Pulemet Kalashnikov)

I would like to come back to the info that was available then (end of 2015)

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Arctic_Fox wrote:

russia

Yeah, but did you see the AK12SN

BTW the new bolt on the AK12, it's rumoured to be almost 30% lighter from the previous 74M (which was already lighter than the AKM).

Still hate the damn rifle. Gib AN/AEK pls.

Oh and as I previously stated the NPZ PSU-1/4 (here in its Wolf Performance livery) is going to become the Russian Combat sight for Ratnik. Back in the race guys.

Wallahi Bilahi the Juice did this ;-) .

So basically we now know how the bolt and bolt carrier was a good chunk lighter than the AK. It wasn't an AK-style system It was a Dragunov...

The AK-12 retains the long stroke piston, for now.

Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Sun May 08, 2016 5:49 pm

How come Kalashnikov suddenly rediscovered Dragunov? SVU-A was pretty much fully automatic SVD.

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Sun May 08, 2016 7:18 pm

Regular wrote:How come Kalashnikov suddenly rediscovered Dragunov? SVU-A was pretty much fully automatic SVD.

Because the other option was probably too complex and prone to issues. And also it can be exported without much of a problem. There will have to be a

This is the AK12 bolt carrier.

As you can see they already made it lighter by gutting it in order to put the internal brush. But that possibly led to structural question marks about this rifle.

Dragunov has also make his own compact assault rifle (and a damn good one as well, "polymer" receiver when it wasn't cool).

They didn't rediscover it, they pulled another Izhmash (the AK 400 was tested as the Ak 103-4 during Ratnik proposals) by simply finding a middle ground. The Dragunov is a "more accurate" system, there's less impulse proportionally from the travelling bolt to the rear dust cover, the said dust cover CAN be railed, the AK sadly cannot without a contraption.

Also looks eerily like the Simonov prototypes, also property of Izhmash...I'd need a full strip to point out the innards, but clearly, it looks like Izhmash is going the Norinco route with a Kalashnistein of a rifle.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Mon May 09, 2016 6:09 am

https://southfront.org/russia-defense-report-ak-12-or-ak-74m3/

Kote,  This I think was a poorly done video by southfront and I want your opinion.  Here is what I stated:

Just to mention yet again, which I did prior on this site, Budget cuts has not hit SAP2020 program. All procurement fall under SAP2020 and Putin himself stated that there is no cuts in procurement but a 5% cut in various other areas in the defense spending:http://russia-insider.com/en/putin-vows-defense-cut-wont-affect-procurement/ri13332
    And those very knowledgeable in the Kalashnikov plant and its doings, state that there will be a release of very important info about new design or adjustments to show in the next coming months. ZID plant was recently modernized with newer equipment and other such stuff for production purposes and even at that, production capacity is currently full so unless they split the production with the KBP plant, there isn't any way they will make 50,000 a year.

I noticed I made a major error.  Ill fix it.

Edit:
    Edit: I made a major error. ZID plant is the one making the AEK-971. Regardless both designs were chosen technically. And there was a major modernization of the Kalashnikov plant.

Procurement is still 23T Rubles.

Last edited by sepheronx on Mon May 09, 2016 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon May 09, 2016 6:20 am

It's a light machine gun. Strengthened reciever, longer heavier barrel, RPD as in Ruchnoy Pulemet Dragunov, Not RPK (Ruchnoy Pulemet Kalashnikov)

If it is a light machine gun why did you call it a rifle?

How come Kalashnikov suddenly rediscovered Dragunov? SVU-A was pretty much fully automatic SVD.

They have been upgrading the SVD just as much as the AK... the VS-121 is an example of this.

Also looks eerily like the Simonov prototypes, also property of Izhmash...I'd need a full strip to point out the innards, but clearly, it looks like Izhmash is going the Norinco route with a Kalashnistein of a rifle.

Even the most modern and radical looking super new stealth fighter has tires that would not look out of place on a 1960s design... not everything needs to be new. Some things already work fine.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Mon May 09, 2016 7:37 am

GarryB wrote:

If it is a light machine gun why did you call it a rifle?

They have been upgrading the SVD just as much as the AK... the VS-121 is an example of this.

Even the most modern and radical looking super new stealth fighter has tires that would not look out of place on a 1960s design... not everything needs to be new. Some things already work fine.

Because I was adressing the AD 400 in my mind. Slip of tongue.
    I don't disagree that things aren't radically new. The Ak receiver is testament to that.

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Mon May 09, 2016 8:32 am

sepheronx wrote:https://southfront.org/russia-defense-report-ak-12-or-ak-74m3/

Kote,  This I think was a poorly done video by southfront and I want your opinion.  Here is what I stated:

Just to mention yet again, which I did prior on this site, Budget cuts has not hit SAP2020 program. All procurement fall under SAP2020 and Putin himself stated that there is no cuts in procurement but a 5% cut in various other areas in the defense spending:http://russia-insider.com/en/putin-vows-defense-cut-wont-affect-procurement/ri13332
    And those very knowledgeable in the Kalashnikov plant and its doings, state that there will be a release of very important info about new design or adjustments to show in the next coming months. ZID plant was recently modernized with newer equipment and other such stuff for production purposes and even at that, production capacity is currently full so unless they split the production with the KBP plant, there isn't any way they will make 50,000 a year.

I noticed I made a major error.  Ill fix it.

Edit:
    Edit: I made a major error. ZID plant is the one making the AEK-971. Regardless both designs were chosen technically. And there was a major modernization of the Kalashnikov plant.

Procurement is still 23T Rubles.

I'm going to comment on the appropriate thread, but three points take into consideration.

1. There's a technical part and a procurement part. I can comment on the technical side of the issue (Who does what and when) more or less, I can't for sure comment on what the Russian MO will do.
    2. The analysis of the situation regarding the small arms question, was way off on the the technical side of the deal. Every revealed detail so far clearly points to the following.
    3. While the AK74MX is a possibility, it's still at a disadvantage if the modernization doesn't take on the small flaws of the AK system. So inherently the debate whereby the AK-12/A545 are required is non sense, they are required if you want a rifle that isn't half assed. Modernizing the AK74 will simply drag the current rifles a little further. Ok it's a nice clean job so far, because the rifles are more durable than the greed of an oligarch, but cui bono? Why not restarting with a redesign or hell a variation of what they already know.

In that aspect the AK-400 is clearly a midwife solution.

Also from what is going on, we can clearly see that ZID for all it prowess will be stuck with support weapons (PKP/PKM/Kord, KPV). And Izhmash with the individual weapons. Also the's going to be a real issue for Kalashnikov as the MO will probably split a deal. RPK/D-400 will be killed off for the Tokar and the A545 will be killed off for the AK-12. It's going to be a mess, since the AK-12 ultimately can do most of the things the RPK/D would, but in a totally illogical fashion IF the Tokar gets a GO, then the guys on the field might well find themselves with two completely new and non reciprocable systems to iron out. Although given this is Russia, the reciprocity can mostly be achieved by a hammer and file.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon May 09, 2016 10:40 am

I am not upset about it... Laughing

Just potential for confusion when you call a weapon a rifle and then describe it as being a LMG...

For those not familiar with Russian and Soviet designations, A means assault rifle like AK or AS, P means machinegun like Kalashnikovs machine gun the PK, RP means LMG, like RPD or RPK... SV are sniper rifles like SV-99 and SVD, and P means pistol like PM makarov, while PP means submachine gun like PPSh.
    Note the attached letters relate to the designer... ie K in AK and RPK and PK is Kalashnikov, while M in PM is Makarov, PPSh is Shpagin, SVD is dragunov.

It is interesting that they are also using numbers... for the SV-98 and SV-99.

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Mon May 09, 2016 7:24 pm

GarryB wrote:

I am not upset about it...  Laughing

Just potential for confusion when you call a weapon a rifle and then describe it as being a LMG...

For those not familiar with Russian and Soviet designations, A means assault rifle like AK or AS, P means machinegun like Kalashnikovs machine gun the PK, RP means LMG, like RPD or RPK... SV are sniper rifles like SV-99 and SVD, and P means pistol like PM makarov, while PP means submachine gun like PPSh.
    Note the attached letters relate to the designer... ie K in AK and RPK and PK is Kalashnikov, while M in PM is Makarov, PPSh is Shpagin, SVD is dragunov.

It is interesting that they are also using numbers... for the SV-98 and SV-99.

Well educated about designation of russian fire arms for a foreigner, i am impressed.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Tue May 17, 2016 12:08 pm

Say Hello to My Little Friend: Russia Develops New Special Ops Machinegun

A research and development association affiliated with Russia’s Ministry of the Interior has launched a bidding process for the development of a new light machinegun.

The request for proposal for the development of this new weapon, codenamed Tokar-2, was published on the Russian government procurement official website. R&D costs totaled approximately $386,000.

The new 5.45mm machinegun, designated Kord-5.45, is to be specifically designed as a lightweight and compact weapon for special forces to use during close quarters fighting, like storming enemy-held buildings and urban warfare.

The machinegun’s length (with folded stock and minus the flash suppressor) must not exceed 900mm with a long barrel and 750mm with a short barrel, and must weigh no more than 7 kilograms. The new weapon’s rate of fire is to be about 800-900 shots per minute, and it is to be fed both with ammo belts and 60-round ammo clips, as well as with ammo clips for AK-74 assault rifles and RPK-74 light machineguns.

The first prototypes of the Kord-5.45 are expected to be produced by the end of 2016.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20160517/1039729172/russia-special-forces-weapon-development.html#ixzz48uFrAdO6

Arctic_Fox
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  Arctic_Fox on Tue May 17, 2016 1:41 pm

AN-94:

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 pm

George1 wrote:Say Hello to My Little Friend: Russia Develops New Special Ops Machinegun

A research and development association affiliated with Russia’s Ministry of the Interior has launched a bidding process for the development of a new light machinegun.

The request for proposal for the development of this new weapon, codenamed Tokar-2, was published on the Russian government procurement official website. R&D costs totaled approximately $386,000.

The new 5.45mm machinegun, designated Kord-5.45,  is to be specifically designed as a lightweight and compact weapon for special forces to use during close quarters fighting, like storming enemy-held buildings and urban warfare.

The machinegun’s length (with folded stock and minus the flash suppressor) must not exceed 900mm with a long barrel and 750mm with a short barrel, and must weigh no more than 7 kilograms. The new weapon’s rate of fire is to be about 800-900 shots per minute, and it is to be fed both with ammo belts and 60-round ammo clips, as well as with ammo clips for AK-74 assault rifles and RPK-74 light machineguns.

The first prototypes of the Kord-5.45 are expected to be produced by the end of 2016.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20160517/1039729172/russia-special-forces-weapon-development.html#ixzz48uFrAdO6

Brothers, you already knew this, we spoke about this, numerous times. Prototypes have been put out and shown at least in three occasions, including one to Vova. And we have all seen "some" pictures. Tokar-2 is ZID going up the next level.

Let's go back to my opinion:

Old Commie wrote:Also from what is going on, we can clearly see that ZID for all it prowess will be stuck with support weapons (PKP/PKM/Kord, KPV). And Izhmash with the individual weapons. Also the's going to be a real issue for Kalashnikov as the MO will probably split a deal. RPK/D-400 will be killed off for the Tokar and the A545 will be killed off for the AK-12. It's going to be a mess, since the AK-12 ultimately can do most of the things the RPK/D would, but in a totally illogical fashion IF the Tokar gets a GO, then the guys on the field might well find themselves with two completely new and non reciprocable systems to iron out. Although given this is Russia, the reciprocity can mostly be achieved by a hammer and file.

Personally this spells doom for A545 and RPD-400, although it could also spell doom for the AK-12 given how the Tokar is a ZID weapon and this is a Special Purpose weapon. Says A LOT about the actual Izhmash program.

Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Tue May 17, 2016 9:10 pm

Can't wait to see it

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Wed May 18, 2016 3:52 am

Any other photos of this gun or is that the only one?

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Wed May 18, 2016 7:47 am

sepheronx wrote:Any other photos of this gun or is that the only one?

Check this thread there were other pictures including a videoclip of the static displays at ZID.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Tue May 24, 2016 1:10 am

AK-400 new rifle offered to the Presidential Security Service and the FSB. Do we have any photos?

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20160523/1040101590/new-ak-rifle.html#ixzz49WVzJoKM

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Mon May 30, 2016 8:17 pm

Ok guys

Something special today.

American host of a gunpage, used on a local match a Russian military setup.

AK74M+1P63 Obzor.

his opinion?

Find out here.

More on the 1P63

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:06 am

Current date/time is Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:06 am